Follow

Captain America's Shield

Object » Captain America's Shield appears in 4336 issues.

Captain America's shield has become the symbol and embodiment of justice and patriotism.

Off My Mind: What if Captain America's Shield Breaks?

• 75 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We all know what makes Captain America so cool. He has the Super Soldier Serum in him that makes him the perfect human. He has trained and honed his body over the years and dives right into any battle. Cap's shown his leadership abilities with several teams as well as the tactical and strategical thinking he is capable of. Besides the wings on his mask and the red, white and blue colors of his uniform, Captain America's shield is what he is most famous for.

The shield has some amazing properties. Besides being virtually indestructible, its design and consistency has allowed it to become an extension of Cap's body. He can use it as both a defensive and offensive weapon. His ability to throw the shield with an unbelievable precision makes the Super Soldier even more super.

No Caption Provided

There has been some times when the supposedly indestructible shield has been...broken. If Captain America lost his shield or if it was damaged beyond repair, what would that mean for his character? Could he still be Captain America without it and would it put him at a disadvantage?

Slight spoiler if you haven't read Fear Itself #5 yet.

== TEASER ==

Steve Rogers knows every square inch of his shield. He knows everything he can do with it. In the middle of a battle, he can throw it without thinking and knows where it will end up. That is until he faced the Asgardian god known as the Serpent.

No Caption Provided

In the middle of the heated battle where everything was at stake, Captain America threw his shield only to be surprised when the Serpent caught it...and destroyed it. How do you fix an indestructible shield? You can't simply glue it back together. Despite all the technology in the Marvel Universe, they've never been able to completely analyze the chemical composition of the shield. Near duplicates have been forged over the years but the difference is immediately noticeable. Cap could make due with a copy but it wouldn't be the same. The slight difference could be enough to throw him off his game if he tried using it without fully realizing what the end results might be.

Captain America's shield has been damaged before. Back in Secret Wars #11, Doctor Doom attempted to steal the Beyonder's power. In doing so, his first act was to unleash it upon the heroes. In the blast that resulted, Cap's shield was damaged but still intact for the most part. Cap continued to use the shield and even managed to use it offensively by throwing it at his opponents. Steve was able to wish the shield to become whole due to residual powers from the Beyonder that were still floating around after Doom's defeat. That won't be a luxury Steve will have this time.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Even if it were possible to reassemble the shattered pieces of Cap's shield, they would have to locate every shard and broken piece. Being that this happened in the middle of a battle and destruction surrounded them, it might not be an easy task. Because the composition of the shield is unknown, could they attempt to melt down the pieces and remold the shield? The utmost care would have to be taken in order to ensure the shield maintains the exact same dimensions and feel it originally had.

Can Steve Rogers still be Captain America without the shield? Of course he can. While operating as the Super Soldier when Bucky had the shield as Cap, Steve showed he was still perfectly capable of holding his own and kicking all sorts of ass. In terms of a defensive weapon, he used his force-shield to protect him when needed.

No Caption Provided

There was also the time when the government wanted to control Captain America and issue him orders and missions. Steve quit and turned in his shield and costume. Operating as The Captain (in the soon to be U.S.Agent costume), Steve used a vibranium-based shield. It wasn't quite the same. It had a different feel but it still got the job done. Steve could always get a new shield but it wouldn't be right. Just as it's great seeing Steve back in the Captain America suit, having the shield is an extension of that.

What will happen to the shield? We all know Marvel can't just leave it shattered. It can't simply be duplicated and they're not going to throw the pieces in the trash. We've already seen he has a shield in Captain America #1 (which we can assume takes place after Fear Itself). Because we're talking about an Asgardian event, it's probably safe to assume some sort of Asgardian magic will repair the shield. It's possible that Odin might feel bad for turning his back on Midgard and maybe he'll award Steve with a new and better Asgardian shield. But that wouldn't be right. Cap's mentioned before that the shield is practically an extension of himself. It's like an extra limb. Missing limbs can be replaced but there's just too much history with the shield to just let it lie shattered or replaced.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By JonesDeini

Wouldn't be the first time he's gotten a new shield. 

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By RainEffect

The shield is iconic. He's not Captain America without the shield. 
    Of course, he could pay homage to Barnes and use that wicked pistol Barnes carried when he was Cap.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By dernman

I wouldn't mind if he got a new shield temporary. Maybe one made by the Asgardians that has power to it.
    Like whatever force someone directs at it, it blows back it back at the person. Some other power could be good.
    If it's temporary fine but always go back to the old shield.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Eyz

I always assumed they had various copies. It might have been a rare exemplar, a unique model...back in the 40s.. but I always thought they had various copies "now" in modern times. Thus explaining how USAgent, Bucky, and all the others Captain wannabee could sport shields as well. Plus, didn't it break once or twice?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Definitely not the first time the shield's been broken and it definitely will not be the last.  It will come back, one way or another.  You just simply cannot have Cap without the shield.  That's like trying to have pizza without cheese (in my opinion): you just don't do it.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DH69

THE SPOILER WARNING WASNT BIG ENOUGH, OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!!! 

j/k 

Anyway with genius' like Stark, Richards, Pym, and T'challa all for the most part on good terms with Rogers I don't think it would be very hard for him to get it repaired.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dernman

Repairing it could be harder then before with all the good Vibranium being destroyed..

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lamenoire

well, a captain america died so maybe they won't repair it. 

Next time when all the heroes are fighting the serpent : 
    "Wolverine, be careful" 
    "to what? I have an indestructible skeleton !" 
    "And I had an indestructible shield..." 
    "oh shit !" When The serpent grab him over his head and rip him appart...

CanucksXVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CanucksXVX

i dont know much bout cap history as i liked to but, couldnt they make a mixture of vibranium and adamantium, so it has that industructable side to it as well as the vibration absorbing part. like i said i dont know much bout captain america, so i dont know if they tried or if they ever thought about this ida in the pqst
    Fluke-buddha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fluke-buddha

It's pretty obvious that Stark is  going to fix the shield while he's making the weapons for "The Mighty"  I think this will ultimately be an upgrade since it will be forged in the same workshop as Thor's hammer.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jubilee042

I THINK HE SHOULD GET A NEW SHEILD HOW ABOUT AN ADAMATIUM ONE

McKnight87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By McKnight87

Beyond all of this, if you've read Cable & Deadpool, Cap and Cable have had a lengthy conversation about the shield and how it survives for at least a few more generations and became Cable's shield in the future. Simply put, they CANNOT destroy the shield permanently. Like Logan, it keeps coming back.

MrGutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrGutts

@CanucksXVX said:

i dont know much bout cap history as i liked to but, couldnt they make a mixture of vibranium and adamantium, so it has that industructable side to it as well as the vibration absorbing part. like i said i dont know much bout captain america, so i dont know if they tried or if they ever thought about this ida in the pqst

That is what I thought Caps shield was made of, Adamantium.

Adamantium was a formed from a Mixture of Vibranium and that other mix of mental which made it unique.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By LordRequiem

I'm not enjoying this Fear Iteslf story now, tell you what, get the Sentry, Hulk and Thor to batter that Serpent idiot.

maelevikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By maelevikus

I am sorry but there's too much commotion over a shield. I understand that the shield represents something. A symbol. But in the Captain America is a soldier and he uses a "weapon". This "weapon" can be lost or destroyed while in combat. Captain America has had replacement uniforms, characters and weaponry. The breaking of the shield is a symbol too. But there is too much drama surrounding this broken shield. We live in a modern day and age. It would a strategically stupid to not have a replacement shield. That's like saying Iron Man doesn't have a spare suit. So i can only imagine living in this modern age that some scientist. Maybe a collaboration between Stark, Parker, Richards & Pym will create an even better shield forged from adamantium, vibranium, catnip, a big mac and a rubberband. Maybe Captain America will need to get used to this new shield or maybe he'll be more soldier and use different weaponry. A shield, a knife, a gun. Maybe the Gods of asgard will magically repair this broken shield. Maybe Captain America will travel to another dimension and get a shield from a dead captain america. But whatever the course of the shield story will be. It's not interesting at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Fraction stealing ideas from Loeb now? How quaint.  

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BuNKiTZ

I was, shocked, when I saw The Serpent destroy Cap's shield. I mean, seriously. You can't just destroy Captain America's damned shield. It's unbreakable! Though, I'm not so worried cause I'm sure they're somehow going to fix it. Asgardian magic I assume. My biggest problem is Thor. I mean, if he dies, that's just messed up. I will, just, gah! Stupid Marvel! DX

Oh, and the Shield is made up of Vibranium and something else. I think it's Adamantium or some other metal.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF

I was thinking that Tony Stark would make a new shield for Cap out of the Asgardian foundry while he is making "really cool weapons" 

I always thought his shield was cool but i was always for him getting an upgrade. I loved the laser one or whatever it is that pops out on his arm (shown in the pic above with him cutting some guys head off)
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Joe Venom

Just give the pieces to Reeds kid, it will be as easy as putting together a four piece puzzle

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Joe Venom
    lol probably easier. Im glad he finally used his powers to help Ben Grimm
    neillius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By neillius

Its a metaphor, America falls as a world SuperPower...
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sammo21

We he gets his shield back as he has it in Captain America #1 and that takes place post Fear Itself...

batarang123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By batarang123

They could make him a new shield. And besides duct tape and super glue fix eveything.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think if Odin can recreate Galaxies then... (insert Franklin here as well, since he also has ties to the story too now)

SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SleepyDrug

Cap's shield has been broken since Secret Wars.  It was shattered early in Captain America, volume 3.  That instance had a restoration thought out well in advance. 

But there are ways to fix the shield.  Possible options include the Odinforce, Molecule Man, the Cosmic Cube, the Inifinity Gauntlet.  No option is easy....but it will happen.
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Illuminarch

Odin-force Thor could only dent the shield, but the Serpent just breaks it with his bare hands, eh? Marvel's "even greater than the last threat!" paradigm is exceedingly tedious. Worse, it undermines the significance of previous stories. The editors and writers behave like a bunch of sugar addled 8-year-olds who missed their last dose of Ritalin.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dernman
    @CanucksXVX: @MrGutts: @maelevikus:  As of right now all the good Vibranium is gone destroyed in the Doom/Wakanda war.
    Without Vibranium you can't make Adamantium. Iron Man was already in Asgard when the shield broke so he wouldn't be able to use those forges to make the shield.

Cap will have to figure something else out. If Major victory is still in this timeline he could take that shield but I doubt that's whats going to happen.
    Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#29  Edited By The Impersonator

Even if the shield is impossible to fix, it's possible. 

maelevikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By maelevikus

@ Dernman

There isn't an exact science to the Marvel Universe. In all honesty a kid gets bitten by a radioactive spider and gets spider powers? Come on. A spiders irradiated and It dies because it gets cooked on the inside. But in any event if it does manage to bite. At best you get some skin rash. Ergo I am sure that the Marvelous Marvel Writers will write some kinda brandspanking new vibranium deposit or even better some Macguffin-like super alien kryptonite, vibranium, adamantium, silver, gold, aluminum plexigas, comicvinian-ore from outerspace in another parallel dimension created by magical clone robot gods or whatever.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mezmero

There was a pretty epic moment in the season 1 finale of the Avengers cartoon when Loki uses the Odin's Force to just shatter that damn shield but Cap didn't let it bring him down. He just picked up some Asgardian shield and kept on fighting. True to the spirit of the character who never gives up and simply adapts given the combat scenario. A shield made out of Uru would be pretty dope.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Silkcuts
    @The Impersonator said:
    Even if the shield is impossible to fix, it's possible. 
    Yup that is Comics. His Shield breaking is like him dying, it will be back.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Why not just go take Vance Astrovik's shield from him since that is Cap's shield from the future. Oh wait Marvel forgot about the cosmic side of the house, oh well.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

OH MY GOD..!! 
    why did you post that image!? 

I can handle knowing what happens, but I still want to read and see it......dang... 

In any case, you have to figure Odin will get off his butt for a change and help Midgard and fix the sheild

Sky_Jokiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By Sky_Jokiel

Clearly Tony is gonna come back and make everyone armor... so he is gonna give Steve a newer better Asgardian sheild that is 100 times better... Blah Blah Blah

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By fodigg

I figure magic or tony stark or tony stark + magic = shield is back.

ParagonWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ParagonWonder

Has anyone ever realized that, with his mastery over magnetism and metal, Magneto could easily fix Cap's shield. And I mean the Serpent could break it because all the shield does is absorb the impact of stuff but if someone wanted to just snap it in half there is nothing that says they can't. Like straight from the Marvel Comics Database it says "the shield is resistant to penetration, temperature extremes, and the entire electromagnetic spectrum of radiation" so technically if someone was as powerful as the Serpent and simply tried to break the shield with their bare hands by just ripping it they could. And its also possible that he may have used some Asgardian magic or something to tamper with the shield's molecular structure.  
    But yeah to me without the shield, Cap is just a really athletic and mega-patriotic old guy in a young guy's body. And without the shield he has no way of protecting himself against the MANY beings he encounters that are far more powerful than him.
    Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wattup

I thought it was funny in the movie that when he was being all stealthy, he had this huge red, white and blue shield on his back and NO enemy troops could see him!

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By frozenedge2
    @Eyz: There are copies of the shield laying around but none of them are made the same way Cap's original shield was made. They might be made of the same material but they're missing that thing that made the shield the indestructible weapon it is. And I personally think he'll use the force-shield for a while until someone with magic can fix the shield. 
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By leokearon

Just will it back together.

Hang on, Cap's shield is destroyed by The Serpent, in EMH Cap's shield was destroyed by Loki, Fraction needs to think of something original

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By lb70145

Odin fixes it. Done. 

"Magic must defeat magic." - Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures

badaboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By badaboop

Then he'll get another one.  Simple as that.  If it's a completely new one, or the same one somehow magically repaired, he'll have a shield somehow.  Learning how to use another weapon is too time-consuming these days...

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Chaos Burn

My bet is Odin will give him his shield back to normal

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By difficlus
    @LB70145 said:
    Odin fixes it. Done.  "Magic must defeat magic." - Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures
    haha true. 
    sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#45  Edited By sladewilson30

well, it's the comics, so anything is possible, and if Cap's shield isn't as hard as adamantium, then why has Wolverine never been able to cut through it
    shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By shackle

Honestly, F the shield. 

It's like arguing over a character's wardrobe--if the character is defined by what they wear, or their accessories, or the car they drive, or even their superhuman skills, they aren't really a character at all.  Steve Rogers is The Man with or without a shield.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @SC said:
    I think if Odin can recreate Galaxies then... (insert Franklin here as well, since he also has ties to the story too now)
    Exactly^
    tjx_penn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tjx_penn

i think t.stark is gonna make him a new on in the asgardian forge.

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By King Quisling

He gets it fixed?

SeanNOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeanNOLA
    Ugh, I just hope we haven't entered another "Energy Shield" era. Every lousy period in Captain America history has been conveniently partnered with a stupid energy shield.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.