Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Is Captain America the Greatest Superhero ever??

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By crazy8

That's probably right about the world in the sense of popularity, but I believe that has more to do with his name and the unpopularity of America to the rest of the world then Captain America himself. if Steve Rogers had been called some thing else, maybe other countries would embrace him. but look at his story, look at who Steve Rogers is in the sense of heroism. that's what makes him the best Hero. super or not. heck even cap was uncertain about America. Capt. America and falcon number 176.

Avatar image for imaloserforbeinghere
    ImaLoserForBeingHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man, Batman , superman are all better. And for the record, I think Deathstroke is a better character than he is.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we take the Ultimate version, is obvious that Cap can be accepted only by americans...

No Caption Provided

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By crazy8

@alexander505: You might want to read the rest of that comic and that series. He is referring to France as a means to say he's not going to give up like France in a fight. But, He has always had a great pride for his country, and as I said earlier that doesn't win him the popularity contest. Good thing this is a Greatest Super HERO contest.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatest ever....not really. I've always preferred him over Superman as posterboy good guy though.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatest ever.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By deaditegonzo

It depends on your opinion?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@crazy8 said:

@alexander505: You might want to read the rest of that comic and that series. He is referring to France as a means to say he's not going to give up like France in a fight. But, He has always had a great pride for his country, and as I said earlier that doesn't win him the popularity contest. Good thing this is a Greatest Super HERO contest.

Except France didn't "give up"

SuperKalEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#162  Edited By Wolverine008

Yes, Cap is even better than Superman.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Not even close.THe best of them all is Superman and right after him there can be only one......The Dark Knight.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By spider11211
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Superman then Cap

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Yes I disagree Cap is the best...of course that is just an opinion.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spider11211: Thorugh the years Marvel changed him just too much and he is no longer the character he used to be.He's not even in my Top 3 for greatest heroes ever.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: You do have a good point, while I love some of the stories they have seemed to change him some. One thing I could not stand is that he was very much like Jack Bower and said Damn every other sentence.

That is not Cap.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mego_Stretch_Hulk

said:

I think he's far and away the greatest. Who do you guys got that's better?

Superman/Batman imo.

BB

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@spider11211: Thorugh the years Marvel changed him just too much and he is no longer the character he used to be.He's not even in my Top 3 for greatest heroes ever.

How has Marvel changed Cap?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By TDK_1997

@wolverine08: Well in AvX he was a d*ckhead all the way and also he has changed from that good boy scout to a guy who always works in extreme measures and is ready to hurt someone if he doesn't do what he wants him to do.

@tdk_1997: You do have a good point, while I love some of the stories they have seemed to change him some. One thing I could not stand is that he was very much like Jack Bower and said Damn every other sentence.

That is not Cap.

Word.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap was always the voice of reason, now he is portrayed as a bit of a hothead.

That just does not fit.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Alexander505

@crazy8 said:

Except France didn't "give up"

Indeed..

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@

@alexander505:

France surrendered very early in WW2 due to fear of a repeat of WW1. its just its an ongoing joke in America and the UK that France gives up easily. it really has no meaning in historical fact, but back to the point of the picture of cap saying," you think this letter on my head stands for France?" his enemy wondered why he didn't give up and cap referred to the ongoing joke.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crazy8 said:

@

@alexander505:

France surrendered very early in WW2 due to fear of a repeat of WW1. its just its an ongoing joke in America and the UK that France gives up easily. it really has no meaning in historical fact, but back to the point of the picture of cap saying," you think this letter on my head stands for France?" his enemy wondered why he didn't give up and cap referred to the ongoing joke.

photo xilCM.gif

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America is the best for the following reason. Steve Rogers wanted to fight along his fellow solders before he had Super powers. he was week and had no business going into a fight, but he felt it was his duty to fight along with the other Americans who were laying down their life. he was a hero before he was a superhero. in contrast superman was born with super powers so he thought, "well hell I guess no one can beat me so I better protect everybody else". the same can be said about thor, and wonder woman. batman turned himself into a superhero to avenge his parents death using his billions. had his parents not died would there be a batman or just a really nice charitable billionaire? spider-man was using his powers for personal gain at first. he's better now but has his personal interest always on alert. iron man's reason mirrors batman. without personal necessity would there be a iron man? Steve Rogers was going to be a hero, weather as super solder or a statistic on D-Day. plus we aren't talking about the most popular superhero, or the most powerful. we are talking about the greatest super HERO.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats debatable, but I know this he never had the chance to kill Hitler.

No Caption Provided

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

Not even close.

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By crazy8

No, but he did stop Nixon from taking over America. and That human torch isn't even around anymore. They should update the "Secret Empire" with Dick Channey, but that's a different blog

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is the greatest superhero.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By spider11211

America F*&^ YAH!

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By crazy8

@spider11211:

I honestly think they should have Cap listening to that song through an ear piece while coming off a train or something in the new movie. You know, like not the whole song, just enough for people who know that song to be like F**K Yeah!

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By spider11211

@crazy8 said:

@spider11211:

I honestly think they should have Cap listening to that song through an ear piece while coming off a train or something in the new movie. You know, like not the whole song, just enough for people who know that song to be like F**K Yeah!

That would be funny as heck but it would be out of character. Maybe he could hear it and have a WTF look on his face.

photo 200.gif

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
    Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the people who think that Captain America has no significance outside of America, allow me to say this as a Danish girl in Sweden.

Firstly, you're dumb.

Secondly, you're wrong.

Thirdly, shut up.

Captain America is not about representing the nation of America and all of it's faults and flaws. He's not there to represent the political or cultural side of America. No he's much more than that. He's not some guy there to shout "FREEDOM" and punch terrorists in the jaw. Nor is he just some flag waving Ameriwank fantasy.

No, Captain America is about the IDEALS of America. He represents the IDEAS put into America's founding. He transcends America because he does not represent the flaws of the actual nation, but he represents the good, pure, and just IDEALS behind it. He's not about left or right, or honey boo boo or west coast liberals. He's about Freedom, Democracy, Justice, Equality, Altruism, and Rule of Law.

He represents everything America should be, everything America could be. He's an ideal to be looked up to and strived towards for not just Americans, but all people, because the ideals he represents are universal, not bound by borders or nationality or race or ethnicity or anything like that.

He really should not be seen as the country of America personified, where he'd represent the errors, problems, and general bungle ups America has made on the world stage. No, no, look at him as the Idea of America personified. In that way, he transcends the country whose flag he's stylized onto his suit. In that way he is not just a hero for America, but the entire world.

Because is there really ever a time or place where Freedom, Democracy, Justice, Equality, Altruism, and Rule of Law are things to be rejected? Is there ever a time when we should bring on Oppression, Tyranny, Injustice, Unfairness, Cruelty, and Banditry into our lives or the lives of the world?

Hell no!

I mean seriously, think about it for a second.

By the way, the same applies to guys like Captain Canuck and Captain Britain or other well done Superheroes who represent a nation.

@veshark As Cap's biggest fan on the vine, do you approve of my little rant?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#190  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Providing one's never heard of DC Comics or Spider-Man, yeah, Cap's probably the best.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the people who think that Captain America has no significance outside of America, allow me to say this as a Danish girl in Sweden.

Firstly, you're dumb.

Secondly, you're wrong.

Thirdly, shut up.

Captain America is not about representing the nation of America and all of it's faults and flaws. He's not there to represent the political or cultural side of America. No he's much more than that. He's not some guy there to shout "FREEDOM" and punch terrorists in the jaw. Nor is he just some flag waving Ameriwank fantasy.

No, Captain America is about the IDEALS of America. He represents the IDEAS put into America's founding. He transcends America because he does not represent the flaws of the actual nation, but he represents the good, pure, and just IDEALS behind it. He's not about left or right, or honey boo boo or west coast liberals. He's about Freedom, Democracy, Justice, Equality, Altruism, and Rule of Law.

He represents everything America should be, everything America could be. He's an ideal to be looked up to and strived towards for not just Americans, but all people, because the ideals he represents are universal, not bound by borders or nationality or race or ethnicity or anything like that.

He really should not be seen as the country of America personified, where he'd represent the errors, problems, and general bungle ups America has made on the world stage. No, no, look at him as the Idea of America personified. In that way, he transcends the country whose flag he's stylized onto his suit. In that way he is not just a hero for America, but the entire world.

Because is there really ever a time or place where Freedom, Democracy, Justice, Equality, Altruism, and Rule of Law are things to be rejected? Is there ever a time when we should bring on Oppression, Tyranny, Injustice, Unfairness, Cruelty, and Banditry into our lives or the lives of the world?

Hell no!

By the way, the same applies to guys like Captain Canuck and Captain Britain or other well done Superheroes who represent a nation.

The only thing I disagree with is that I am his biggest fan.

photo op5q438op7.gif

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Firstly, you're dumb.

Secondly, you're wrong.

Thirdly, shut up.

Hell no!

Captain America approves this post

Though I wouldn't consider myself this Vine's foremost Cap fan, there's also @slimj87d @tg1982

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By spider11211

I have almost every issue of Cap......he is the man.

bj365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By bj365

Captain America is one of the best just not the best. Batman on the other hand may have a chance

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bj365: You mean the same Batman that used a satellite know every heroes secrete identity easily hackable for any tech villain download its secrets.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By spider11211
    tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#198  Edited By tg1982

@veshark said:

@guardian_of_gravity said:

Firstly, you're dumb.

Secondly, you're wrong.

Thirdly, shut up.

Hell no!

Though I wouldn't consider myself this Vine's foremost Cap fan, there's also @slimj87d @tg1982

Well said @guardian_of_gravity!!!!!!!!! I couldn't agree more! Thumbs up! :-)

No Caption Provided

@veshark Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I really enjoyed the post! :-)

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think this post is a bit provocative, because it seems to suggest that by being America's champion, Cap is the best hero ever, which doesn't help the view some have of Americans having an over-blown opinion of their place in the world (being a Brit, I accept we are guilty of that crime too..!!) Of course the op may have not meant it this way. Anyway, I think you could argue that he is Marvel's greatest hero, using the strict definition of what makes a hero, but Superman is for me the worlds greatest hero ever, having saved the world from enemy threads since 1938.

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity:

THATS WHAT I BEEN TRYING TO SAY! only 1,000,000 times better. I have a friend in Thailand who loves Cap.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.