Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11747 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Enough is enough! The SHIELD deserves better than this.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slimj87d

As we all know the shield broke in Fear Itself, but it was broken by a skyfather which we know a lot of skyfathers have powerful magics that can manipulate things at a molecular level.

Yes, I understand why the shield had to break to show how much of a threat the Serpent was. But seriously?

The shield was broken again in Age of Ultron!

Come on man. We don't need the damn thing breaking every time there's a planet level threat coming along. Especially after it was suppose to be stronger due to being brazed (brazing adds strength to material, welding does not) by dwarves and magically enchanted.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By End_Boss

Comic books.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DMC

AAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!

tamabone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 62

#4  Edited By tamabone

You notice that cap's shield only started breaking every other day AFTER he died and came back. I still believe that Tony Stark never gave back the original shield , and that the one that keeps on breaking is a copy that Tony created as a prototype of a reverse engineered shield alloy. Tony still has the original somewhere, UNBROKEN. He has been trying to duplicate the metal since Civil War ended . He wants to build an indestructable suit of armor made out of shield alloy, but even he has not been able to find the alloy formula. The REAL shield is hidden away somewhere in a secret Stark lab. Just my opinion.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Veshark

Oh...so that's why Cap was so sad in the Age of Ultron #2 preview...

But yeah seriously, leave Cap's shield alone. Breaking it no longer has the same 'Oomph' effect anymore, it's been done too many times.

By Comicvine's count there was Molecule Man disintegrating it, Beyonder-Doom damaging it in Secret Wars, Thanos in Infinity Gauntlet, Odinforce-Thor denting it (twice), and the aforementioned Serpent from Fear Itself. That's four different times the shield was destroyed (not counting Thor), with three of them from major events.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

To be fair, we still have no idea HOW it was broken. It's possible Captain America was captured, and his shield was manipulated with all kinds of tech in an attempt to make Ultrons from a replica, with the result being it shattered.

There's no guarantee quite yet Ultron smashed it.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Rumble Man

Meh the whole arc is just a recycle of "Days of Future Past" for johnny come lately's

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By tg1982

Christ. It broke again? How lame.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By mk111

I never cared for Cap's shield anyway.

*ducks*

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#10  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I was fine with it in Fear Itself, but now it's just getting old...

Poor Cap :(
    Poor Cap :(
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Lvenger

... That's effing Bendis for you. Doesn't know when not to reuse old story points for 'shock value' which have happened so many times before. This is why I'm glad I'm not reading Age of Ultron.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @Lvenger said:

... That's effing Bendis for you. Doesn't know when not to reuse old story points for 'shock value' which have happened so many times before. This is why I'm glad I'm not reading Age of Ultron.

Seriously, his shield was shattered only two events ago in Fear Itself. But what makes this an even more horrible reuse of the idea is the fact that Cap's shield was improved at the end of that storyline, making it even more durable than it was before being shattered. So somehow Ultron is now even more powerful, or has some weapon more powerful, than The Serpent, which is complete bullcrap.
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lvenger

@War Killer said:

@Lvenger said:

Seriously, his shield was shattered only two events ago in Fear Itself. But what makes this an even more horrible reuse of the idea is the fact that Cap's shield was improved at the end of that storyline, making it even more durable than it was before being shattered. So somehow Ultron is now even more powerful, or has some weapon more powerful, than The Serpent, which is complete bullcrap.

Uh huh. As Slim said the brazing the shield's undergone with the added uru metal makes it stronger. And to think Ultron has a more powerful weapon than a god is pretty ridiculous as you say.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By TDK_1997

It's like the Harlem Shake,if one writer does it all should do it.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

Another example of Marvel diluting it's once great foundations in the name of short term shock and possible sales.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGodofThunder

AoU has been underwhelming so far. Issues one and two could've been in one issue and cap just crying there was so out of character. And where is thor? Looks like his treatment in events is still crap.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By tg1982

@War Killer: @Lvenger: In all fairness I don't think The Serpent couldn't have broke it when it had the uru, he never got the chance so it's not really indicating of Ultron's power level over Serpent. But that being said, what was the F'ing point of the whole uru addition if it breaks again?

Here's what's going to happen at the end of Age of Ultron Ironman will repair it...AGAIN and this time add adamantium (Cap's shield is vibranium, an unknown steel alloy and uru. No adamantium just for those who didn't know) from Ultron like he did with the uru in Fear Itself.

Ironman- "Well Cap we added adamantium aswell as the uru from last month to make it even stronger...you know...until some OTHER writer gets a hair up his butt and decides to break it again to show how tough and awesome and powerful the next big villian is..."

Cap- "Uh...thanks...I guess"

There are other ways to show power, how about Wolverine's leg or some other adamantium bone gets broke? It's just as durable and indestructable as Cap's shield, well as Cap's shield is SUPPOSED to be anyways...

It's just a cheap ploy by lazy writers to try to hype up what ever villian of the month they're fighting... but then again given who the writer is...I'm not suprised.

My rant is over now. Thank you for listening. :-)

krauser99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By krauser99

Cap needs to grab a cosmic cube and will a shield that is generated by his pure will.

That bitch will never break.

Uncommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Uncommon

I totally agree with you on that it shouldn't be broken, EVER, but it does add a bit of intensity to that steaming pile of sh*t Age of Ultron

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And people wonder why comics are on the decline. @veshark: You forgot that Cap's shield also broken during Waid's run in volume 3. He lost it in issue 2, and when they dug it out of the ocean it shattered. Just like my heart does everytime I see the name Bendis, or Loeb.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Veshark

@risingbean said:

And people wonder why comics are on the decline. @veshark: You forgot that Cap's shield also broken during Waid's run in volume 3. He lost it in issue 2, and when they dug it out of the ocean it shattered. Just like my heart does everytime I see the name Bendis, or Loeb.

Ooh good catch, I forgot about that one time.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: And that goes to show you, that if you are forgetting the times the shield has been broken, then it has happened too often and is no longer an event.

I hope somebody takes Tamabone's idea and makes it official. Because Adamantium does not impress me much anymore.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Veshark

@risingbean said:

@veshark: And that goes to show you, that if you are forgetting the times the shield has been broken, then it has happened too often and is no longer an event.

I hope somebody takes Tamabone's idea and makes it official. Because Adamantium does not impress me much anymore.

Indeed. What irritates me most is that this happened right after such a recent event, and at the end of Fear Itself, the shield got some uru enchantments or something to make it stronger.

All that being said.........do we actually know how it was broken yet? If I remember, Age of Ultron #3 just came out.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RisingBean

@veshark: I recall hearing about the uru enchantments and how the crack was around for about an issue before disappearing.

I don't know how it has broken, because I 1. Read in trades and 2 have not been keeping up with Marvel's circle jerk as much lately.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean

Yeah, everyone basically forgot about the scar after that event.

Neither do I, which was why I was asking. I'm a wait-for-trader too ;)

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Damn, dude, I don't know.

Avatar image for captainamerica119
    Captainamerica119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I thought in the original comics Thanos broke the shield as well

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought in the original comics Thanos broke the shield as well

He had the Infinity Gauntlet on at the time.

nut34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is right, some years ago the shield was indestructible, big guys tried to broke it but they couldn 1. Now every time cap battle a powerfull guy the shield is broken. I think that now you can t call it indestructible.

Charlemagne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tamabone said:

You notice that cap's shield only started breaking every other day AFTER he died and came back. I still believe that Tony Stark never gave back the original shield , and that the one that keeps on breaking is a copy that Tony created as a prototype of a reverse engineered shield alloy. Tony still has the original somewhere, UNBROKEN. He has been trying to duplicate the metal since Civil War ended . He wants to build an indestructable suit of armor made out of shield alloy, but even he has not been able to find the alloy formula. The REAL shield is hidden away somewhere in a secret Stark lab. Just my opinion.

thats a badass idead actually

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

needs to be made from admantanium instead

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Its okay the new pics for the cap movie paint the shield Silver and Blue :P

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

at first i thought you meant the tv show, then s.h.i.e.l.d.. finally cap's shield. but yeah, too much symbolism.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This doesn't surprise me, Marvel just keeps getting worse and worse and for some reason people keeping buying. I quit reading Marvel in protest of Superior Spider-man but from the crap I'm hearing I may as well just stay quit even when that crap is over. The kids can have it if this is the kind of s**t they need to do to keep in business.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By spider11211

Another example of Marvel diluting it's once great foundations in the name of short term shock and possible sales.

That is the Marvel marketing plan.

Shock...bump in sales

decline

Shock....bump in sales

decline

Shock (new costume)...bump in sales

decline

Shock (major even crossover)...bump in sales

decline

Shock....guest appearances...bump in sales

decline

Shock.....get the idea

It would be nice just to have a good story.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tamabone: Isn't Black Panther's armour Vibranium?

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscars94 said:

@tamabone: Isn't Black Panther's armour Vibranium?

Yes, but there are different kinds of Vibranium. Steve's shield isn't complete Vibranium, it's alloy.

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be nice just to have a good story.

Yes, I've been thinking this for quite a while now. Big events used to be special, now they're just cheap, overused, and like you said shock value to get a bump in sales. Whatever happened to

Because Adamantium does not impress me much anymore.

Yeah, it's like Kryptonite. It used to be something rare and awe-inspiring. Now it seems like the villain of the month can go buy some at the Dollar Store.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

It's a fancy discus.

That's all it was.

That's all it ever will be.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerstriper: While I find it annoying how easily it is obtained, my biggest issue is that it keeps getting destroyed. It is billed as unbreakable. But it isn't. Lets make Villain X really impressive the writers say, let him break Wolverine's femur. Or Cap's shield, So on and forth.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Rouflex

At first i thought you were refering to the first United Statien of North America themed hero (Google) The Shield... but i got to agree with ya.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@lvenger said:

That's because he doesn't read the stuff they came before him.Marvel allows him to wrote however the hell he wants.I missed the days when continuity and character development was essential to Marvel.Now all we get is writers that write the characters however they see fit and create endless events that have little impact on the universe as a whole.Since Civil War I think most of Marvel's events have had zero impact going forward.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: You summarise the general trend with what Marvel's publication and business strategy have been lately. Writers do take far too many liberties with how they write their characters, it's now no longer surprising to see Marvel characters acting strangely compared to how they did nearly a decade ago. As for events, they've truly been the most monotonous of Marvel's shortcomings for a while now. Every year there's been some big event and even before there's time to clean up the consequences of one event, Marvel are moving onto the next one. And Bendis has written several of them since Civil War to boot. God he's so terrible with superhero comics and yet Marvel keep giving him jobs writing their superheroes. So now he's one of Marvel's main writers, therein lies the real problem.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Prossor_Kobras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tamabone said:

Was this ever made canon?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.