Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11747 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Does Cap have to work out?

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Power NeXus

The Super Soldier serum put Cap's physical attributes at the pinnacle of human perfection, but does he have to exercise regularly to stay at that level. 
    If he went a long time with no real physical activity, would he start to become slower and weaker, or does he just stay at peak human level without having to try?
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Erik

No. He does not have to. When he lost the effects of the serum temporarily, he had to work out constantly to maintain his peak condition though. 

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Yes... he has to work out... or else he'll be a lil a lil bit  fat... and ... a lil... a lil bit slower... and a lil a lil bit weaker...

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Erik
    @Yung ANcient One said:
    " Yes... he has to work out... or else he'll be fat... and ... a lil... a lil bit slower... and a lil a lil bit weaker... "
    Not so much actually. 
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @erik said:
    " @Yung ANcient One said:
    " Yes... he has to work out... or else he'll be fat... and ... a lil... a lil bit slower... and a lil a lil bit weaker... "
    Not so much actually.  "
    i kno thats why i put... a lil... a lil bit weaker...
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't think he does.It wouldn't really make sense.The shape is in was created by the serum in the first place.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Erik
    @Vance Astro said:
    " I don't think he does.It wouldn't really make sense.The shape is in was created by the serum in the first place. "
    Yeah. That was my point. He could sit on the couch for years eating nothing but pizza and drinking milkshakes and still be peak human. 
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @erik said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    " I don't think he does.It wouldn't really make sense.The shape is in was created by the serum in the first place. "
    Yeah. That was my point. He could sit on the couch for years eating nothing but pizza and drinking milkshakes and still be peak human.  "

he has to work out a lil... if he did that he would have a bear belly... and IMO... like i said.. be a lil... a lil bit weaker
    MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MrMiracle77

Even if he didn't need to, Cap still has to maintain his fighting edge and aptitude with the shield.  He gets plenty of exercise doing so.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Erik
    @Yung ANcient One said:
    " @erik said:
    " @Vance Astro said:
    Yeah. That was my point. He could sit on the couch for years eating nothing but pizza and drinking milkshakes and still be peak human.  "
     he has to work out a lil... if he did that he would have a bear belly... and IMO... like i said.. be a lil... a lil bit weaker "
    But he does not. The serum took him from well below average to peak human instantly. He did not have to do anything else. 
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrMiracle77 said:
    " Even if he didn't need to, Cap still has to maintain his fighting edge and aptitude with the shield.  He gets plenty of exercise doing so. "
    was thinking the same. most super-hero characters dont have to for that matter,
    as theyre getting a heavy work out daily. 

Avatar image for omega_level_supreme
    Omega-level Supreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Most of his profile on the net and his Handbook entry say's he does. I have a comic (not at hand at the moment) where he's working out rigorously and talking to Beast. Some of the dialogue suggest that he believes he has to, but I'm uncertain. 

I'm not sure if I heard a theory or read if from an authoritive source, but I read that after taking the SS serum, his body began to naturally reproduce the substance. That would (in theory) totally enable him to maintain top performance regardless of his recent physical activities.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#13  Edited By HaloKing343
    @Yung ANcient One said:
    "Yes... he has to work out... or else he'll be a lil a lil bit  fat... and ... a lil... a lil bit slower... and a lil a lil bit weaker... "

That's probably right
    slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By slimj87d

He does work out a lot though, often running and lifting weights. I don't think he would do that for no reason so I would have to agree with 

Yung Ancient One

All we know about the serum is that he produced muscle for him, we don't know if it can burn FAT for him. This is because Steve Rogers didn't have much to any fat to begin with.

I don't think he will get weaker but I think it will hinder his performance. In Captain AMerica Who WIll Wield the SHield he said he has been working out with Bucky and "almost" has his full strength back meaning he does have to work out.

I guess that issue answers your question.

Avatar image for bob_agent_of_agency_x
    bob agent of agency x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I belive no, he doesn't NEED to work out. 
    But I don't belive it would be bad for him to, its not like its impossible for him to get stronger

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slimj87d
    @bob agent of agency x said:
    " I belive no, he doesn't NEED to work out. But I don't belive it would be bad for him to, its not like its impossible for him to get stronger "
    In Who Will Wield the Shield, the answer to this thread has already been answered. Steve states his body is weaker due to inactivity and him working out with Bucky to get his strength back.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Cap's arms are bigger than freakin' RE5 Chris Redfields, so my guess is no but it may help.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Erik
    @SlimJ87D said:
    " @bob agent of agency x said:
    " I belive no, he doesn't NEED to work out. But I don't belive it would be bad for him to, its not like its impossible for him to get stronger "
    In Who Will Wield the Shield, the answer to this thread has already been answered. Steve states his body is weaker due to inactivity and him working out with Bucky to get his strength back. "
    Weaker or rusty? Steve cannot be physically less than peak human. He works out to improve skill and maybe improve strength and speed to above that level. But he cannot be less than peak. That is what the serum did. It did not just give him muscle. To say that it would not keep fat off is reaching. 
    slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By slimj87d
    @erik said:

" @SlimJ87D said:

In Who Will Wield the Shield, the answer to this thread has already been answered. Steve states his body is weaker due to inactivity and him working out with Bucky to get his strength back. "
    Weaker or rusty? Steve cannot be physically less than peak human. He works out to improve skill and maybe improve strength and speed to above that level. But he cannot be less than peak. That is what the serum did. It did not just give him muscle. To say that it would not keep fat off is reaching.  "
     I agree with you.

If his powers allowed him to stay at the same level all the time, what would be the whole point of him working out, running and lifting weights when he could just spend all his time practicing combat and stuff. I believe the serum allows him to be at a level at all times, variable X, the Olympic level. But he needs to work out and run and stuff to be at 1.1X, a bit above Olympic level and a little above those that he is superior to that are at Olympic level such as Bucky himself.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes he does have to work out to keep himself at the peak of his abilities.   
    This has been mentioned, shown and explained at various times throughout Cap's history.
    thewasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thewasp
    @erik:
    he is still a human he can get fat =) he does need to work out
    Avatar image for blacklightning13
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Blacklightning13
    He can not be anything less then peak but he can still get fat so that might be why but I'm not definite so i will do some research.
    SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By SladeRogers

Depends on how you look at it. He has the serum which keeps him at peak human condition, but he chooses to work out and even if he never went to the gym, fighting crime is one helluva workout itself. Dodging bullets, ducking bombs, kicking @$$, c'mon the guy is working out 24/7 practically. 

In another sense, he pretty much works out to keep things in check. Weights for his muscles, running for his legs and cardio, simulations for his reflexes, etc. For Cap, it's more of a choice rather than for someone like Bucky or Dick Grayson who need to workout.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By daredevil21134
    @SladeRogers said:
    " 
    Depends on how you look at it. He has the serum which keeps him at peak human condition, but he chooses to work out and even if he never went to the gym, fighting crime is one helluva workout itself. Dodging bullets, ducking bombs, kicking @$$, c'mon the guy is working out 24/7 practically. 

In another sense, he pretty much works out to keep things in check. Weights for his muscles, running for his legs and cardio, simulations for his reflexes, etc. For Cap, it's more of a choice rather than for someone like Bucky or Dick Grayson who need to workout. "

good point
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yung ANcient One

i jus think... that if Cap went MIA... n stayed home watched TV all day... didnt do much but jus Chill... he would be 92.4% in Peak condition... he wouldnt b 100% cuz he stopped working out... In my opinion

(+)

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cpt_linger

As a soldier I think he enjoys it. Levels him out
    Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By saiyan_earthling

He needs to consistently train to keep his skills in tact.

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SladeRogers said:
    " 

In another sense, he pretty much works out to keep things in check. Weights for his muscles, running for his legs and cardio, simulations for his reflexes, etc. For Cap, it's more of a choice rather than for someone like Bucky or Dick Grayson who need to workout. "

This guy pretty much said it. The Super Soldier Serum is designed to keep the human body at peak level. The weapon plus project wanted a soldier to be able to be ready on spot with having to waste time training and working out.  

I also agree that Steve working out is a choice that he does. Yes some issues does ay that Steve works out to keep his body maintining the Super Soldier Serum but that didnt start till after the he had that issue where he returned to his normal form, When he went back to being back toi Cpatain America he works out just to ease his mind in between missions. There also more many issues that confirms  Steve does not have to work out. Um....if I can rememeber the Story arc which I have to find in my collection. There is a break down of the super soldier serum and the different side effects it does, which also say that the Super Solider Serum pushes and keeps the body at peak level without maintaning a workout schedule.  

A great example is Isaiah Bradley, the guy has to be in a wheelchair and does sit all home all day watching tv or playing boardgames with his grandkids but the guy's body is still in peak level to where he can give Steve Rodgers a challenge in an arm wresting match. 

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Probably, but not that much.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By Timandm

This is NOT difficult to answer...  If you've read Secret Wars #2 then you KNOW....

In secret wars #2, the Beyonder comes to earth and makes himself a human body.  He does so by duplicating one of the human's he encounters...  And that human being happened to be Steve Rogers... The Beyonder duplicated Steve Rogers body perfectly at the molecular level...

So...What happened?  Well, one of the things the Beyonder did was to get involved in a criminal organization.  He didn't really understand what criminals were at the time...  Anyway, he ends up living the life of a wealthy, powerful, playboy...  He eats, drinks, and makes merry... He eats a LOT... and he ends up getting pudgy and soft...  Course, when he realizes the women don't really LIKE that, he changes things with a thought...

So, here we have DIRECT EVIDENCE, that if Steve Rogers did not exercise, and if he over ate and did not take care of his body, it could still get soft and pudgy... Sure, he'd be at peak human performance, but it would be the peak human performance of a human being who did not exercise and ate too much.  

This is NOT a GUESS... This is what happened...

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tg1982

in the comic arc where captain america got the transfusion from the red skull to save his life, the super soldier serum took time to bring him back to peak human, until then he had problems throwing his shield reacting fast enough to fights and was basically just under his potential until the serum finally kicked in fully in the middle of a battle, in which he was back to his super soldier form again, the whole process seems to of taken only a few hours. he didn't work out to get back to it so i would say he does not have to work out but it is more of a choice
    Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By Timandm
    @tg1982 said:
    in the comic arc where captain america got the transfusion from the red skull to save his life, the super soldier serum took time to bring him back to peak human, until then he had problems throwing his shield reacting fast enough to fights and was basically just under his potential until the serum finally kicked in fully in the middle of a battle, in which he was back to his super soldier form again, the whole process seems to of taken only a few hours. he didn't work out to get back to it so i would say he does not have to work out but it is more of a choice
    Soooo...  Why did the Beyonder get soft and pudgy (when he had the body of Steve Rogers that was a duplicate down to the molecular level) when not working out and over eating??? 
    gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gravitypress

He works out to push the peak human limits.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tg1982
    @Timandm
    I don't know. maybe it's just in consistent writing in one of the comics.  

All I know is when the red skull gave steve the full transfusion that saved his life the SSS was not int full affect. Cap made comment's llike how his shield wasn't his because it was heavier then he realised that it was his shield, it just felt heavier because he was not at peak human, just normal (for his physique) he had trouble throwing his shield (due to the lack f peak strenght) but the said i felt a familiar snap in his arm as he continued to throw and fight with his shield and then the SSS finally kicked in fully and he was Peak human again.
    tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tg1982

The comic is Captain America: Operation Rebirth
    Avatar image for blacklightning13
    Blacklightning13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Blacklightning13

He works out to stop himself going fat, building muscle memory (he would have had to do it at first or just after whenever he lost his powers then got them back but he is fine now) so his body knows what it can do and the last reason is he enjoys it and it gives him time to think. when you can remember everything you have ever seen then some times you may want to look it over.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hyperlight

@SlimJ87D said:

@erik said:

" @SlimJ87D said:

" I belive no, he doesn't NEED to work out. But I don't belive it would be bad for him to, its not like its impossible for him to get stronger "
    Weaker or rusty? Steve cannot be physically less than peak human. He works out to improve skill and maybe improve strength and speed to above that level. But he cannot be less than peak. That is what the serum did. It did not just give him muscle. To say that it would not keep fat off is reaching. "
    I agree with you. If his powers allowed him to stay at the same level all the time, what would be the whole point of him working out, running and lifting weights when he could just spend all his time practicing combat and stuff. I believe the serum allows him to be at a level at all times, variable X, the Olympic level. But he needs to work out and run and stuff to be at 1.1X, a bit above Olympic level and a little above those that he is superior to that are at Olympic level such as Bucky himself.

that doesnt make sense. His body is already maximized... he has already reached his body's potential

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CF12793

I would say yes, but probably not as much as someone who is peak human without the SSS, like Batman or daredevil.

Even though he has the SSS, he still can get stronger and faster through lifting weights and exercise. He's human, he can still build more muscle and get stronger like everyone else. Plus, while he has the SSS, he wasn't given his Gymnastics/Martial Arts abilities, so he probably trains a lot to maintain those. Even Wolverine works out on occasion, there was an episode of the old X Men series where he has weightlifting equipment in his room :P

krauser99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By krauser99

Being that he is at the peak of human potential. He does have to work out but he would be healthier then most for a long time just because he was created to be perfect human genetics. Even his mind is at the top of his game. But I imagine that too he must keep sharp.

No Caption Provided
    Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He might not have to work out regularly to keep what the original sss gave him, but cap being cap, I'd be willing to bed he works out like hard anyway to push his limits and try to improve.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No idea, dude.

AlForeigner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would of thought he'd need to maintain an exercise routine in order to maintain his agility and fighting skills up to standard, physically-wise I don't think he has to do THAT much training but it doesn't hurt to work-out regularly and although the SS serum has made him stronger, exercising regularly could maybe increase his physical attributes and keep his mind sharp? Just a theory.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tg1982

He works out because he likes working out. The SSS maxed out his potential both physically and physiologically, His metabolism would burn fat at an extremely efficient rate. Basiclly he wouldn't get fat, also he can't get weaker than peak human unless the SSS is somehow taken from his body (ex. What Agent Bravo did in Bru's final Cap arc.) I don't really think he can even get better than what he is. The whole point of "peak human" is being the absolute limit of what humanity can do...if he can get stronger, faster, etc, etc, then he would be "super human". Just my opinion, though.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He works out and trains all the time. I think he can get stronger, just like humans can get stronger.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.