Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Comic Book Arcade: Captain America and the Avengers

• 56 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I know it's been a long time guys. In fact, it's been 5 months since I last talked about a comic book related video game. Anyways, after doing a few comic book games for the Nintendo Entertainment System, I got tired of the same old thing and upgraded. Prepare for Comic Book Arcade v2.0: The Sega chronicles! This next round starts with the most requested game... Well, the ONLY requested game: Captain America and the Avengers.

Side-scrolling beat-em ups were the hottest thing in arcades during the 90s, many of which were awesome. A few of these arcade games actually made their way to consoles as well. Back in 1991, a little game called Captain America and the Avengers hit the arcades, and kids everywhere (me) spent their weekly allowances trying to beat it. In 1993, this game came to the Sega Genesis. Twenty years after its original release, I finally got my hands on a copy, but it's the Sega Genesis version.

No Caption Provided

Because I care about your eyesight, I'm giving you screen-shots from the arcade. As you can see above, not only is it hard to take pictures of my hand-held Sega, it's not as pretty as the arcade version. To the best of my, and the internet's, knowledge, the only real changes in the game are graphics and sound, but if you know me and this article, I'm only going to talk about them if they annoy me to death. However, my biggest concern was will this game stand up after 20 years?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

What's the plot to the game? Simple: Red Skull is a Nazi and he needs a good whooping, and he has a moon base, which no Nazi should have. Red Skull has teamed up with a whole bunch of baddies in order to kick your butt: Whirlwind, Living Laser, Juggernaut, and Crossbones just to name a few.

It's up to Captain America, Iron Man, Vision, and Hawkeye to stop the Red Skull. Those are your choices... Choose wisely. One thing that really bugged me is that Wonder Man is in this game hanging out and driving a space ship around. Why can't he help? He's super powerful, and to be honest, he would a lot more useful than Captain America or Hawkeye in this game. Anyway you walk around beating up minions and then take on a boss in each level. It's pretty traditional beat-em-up attire. What separates this game from others in its genre is that there are two different styles of game-play.

Game-play

No Caption Provided

To the left we have the traditional style of game-play: side-scrolling, punching goodness. Did Iron Man just knock out Hawkeye? Anyway, to the right, we have a side-scrolling shooter type game-play. You get to do this 3 or 4 times within the game, and it's a really nice break from the tedium of punching people in the face. Anyone else think "Giant Robot" looks exactly like a Sentinel?

The Sega version of this game has three glorious button choices: A=Jump, B=Punch, C=Punch. So nice, they did it twice. You can mash down A+B or A+C to shoot a projectile, or jump in the air and shoot projectiles. If you're close enough to an enemy, like most games, you can throw them. The game-play is insanely basic, but still moderately fun. It does become tedious after about 5 minutes of game time, but by that point, it becomes a side-scrolling shooter.

Annoyances

No Caption Provided

While it's fun and brings back a lot of nostalgia, there's a few horribly annoying aspects to the game. First thing's first, every character plays relatively the same, and by relatively, I mean exactly. Sure, the sprites are different, but each character punches, throws, and fires. There's nothing separating these characters. You may as well just have Jack of Hearts, Ant-Man, Beast, and Moon Knight in this game. It doesn't make a difference... Jack of Hearts and the Avengers? That sounds pretty awesome actually.

The dialogue this game throws at you is pretty awful from "You cannot beat me!" to "You stupid men!" You'd figure a man who can put together a grand scheme could at least put together a decent sentence.

The game follows every single beat em' up rule in the book. You have to beat the end boss twice, and the second time he's super-powered? CHECK. First level is a decimated city? CHECK. Cameos from characters you'd much rather play as? CHECK! ( Namor and Wonder Man are prime examples)

Most Unintentionally Hilarious Moment

There are lots of cool villains you get to fight in this game, but one of them really stood out to me. In fact, I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard. Ladies and gentleman of the vine, I present to you, the most dastardly villain in Captain America and the Avengers... Mech Taco!

No Caption Provided

Yes, this is real. Even Captain America lowers his head in shame as he is forced to fight, quite possibly, the lamest villain he's ever faced... And remember, he fights Batroc: The Leaper on a regular basis. What is this thing? I beat the game, and I paid attention to the story, and I'm still confused. It's obviously supposed to be a mechanical octopus, even though it old has five tentacles, so I understand the "Mech." part, but why "taco?" Was this a failed marketing tie-in with Taco Bell? The Mech. Taco Taco?

Closing Thoughts

No Caption Provided

Well, it's been 20 years, and while this game was a ton of fun back in the final days of the arcade, it doesn't hold up as well now. Sure, it's fun for about 20 minutes, but after that, you really don't want to pick it back up again. It doesn't really stand-out and the characters are way too similar. The entire time I played this, I wished it was a game about Wonder Man's talk show.

Plus, look at that ending. That's what you get for beating the game... a bunch of words thanking you for dumping $15 into a game. It's worth a couple bucks if you find it used online, but nothing more than that. Sadly, to this date, this is the only good Captain America or Avengers video game (Marvel Alliance doesn't count). Hopefully, with the Avengers film coming out next year, Marvel will put a new Avengers game out... Let's just hope it doesn't stink. Do you guys remember this game? Did you love it? Hate it? What's a Mech Taco?

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Osiris1428

YES! Of corse I remember me and my friends wasting plenty of our parents quarters on this crap-tastic game. Not up there with 'X-Men: Children Of The Atom'. Or even the Simpson's Game. I miss the days when malls had at least two arcades: the main arcade, and the one inside the movie theater.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Thunderscream

Wonder if they'll import this into the iOS/Android market like the '92 X-Men arcade game. I'd drop a buck or 2 on it :)

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PhoenixoftheTides

I remember being annoyed that I couldn't play as Scarlet Witch in this game. If I recall correctly, The Wasp and Quicksilver make guest appearances. But the X-Men arcade game was way better.

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Bobby X

Ooooh loved this game...but i also remeber desperately wanting to play as Namor and Wonder Man as well. 

Anyone remember the Spider-man arcade game  where you could also be Balck Cat, Namor, and Hawkeye? That was a great one with such a random awesome cast... 

You guys should review the Punisher sega  genesis game as well. 2nd player got to play as Nick Fury in Co-op mode! That fact alone is worth it.
    undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By undeadpool

I. CAN'T. MOVE!

Oh Lordy, this game does bring back some bowling alley arcade memories. And to be fair to the horrific dialog/enemy names (the Sentinel is called "Giant Robot"), the game WAS produced in Japan and I doubt they did more than run it through some translation software and threw it up on the screen.

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By GBrutality

i remember being little wondering just what/who the hell the mech taco was.

Sakurafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Sakurafire

Tako (or taco) is the word for octopus.  Since it was developed by a Japanese company... Still, I distinctly remember having a "WTF" moment when I was a kid playing this game.

At least this isn't nearly as bad as WELCOME TO DIE...

Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
    harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

these games were awesome!! my favorite ones though had to be MARVEL SUPERHEROES, MARVEL VS CAPCOM, MARVEL VS STREET FIGHTER, MARVEL VS X-MEN, X-MEN CHILDREN OF THE ATOM! oh and that x-men arcade game!
    afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By afrokola

I used to play this all the time at my local Chuck 'E Cheese, back in the day. Tons a fun, I wish this would come to consoles as a downloadable some day.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jordanstine

I came into the arcade scene late... but I remember this in my local arcade.  I probably only played it once, maybe twice tops, because right next to it was X-Men Children of the Atom.

If I only had found out about Taco Mech, I would've spent more tokens at least trying to get to that level.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Sakurafire said:

Tako (or taco) is the word for octopus. Since it was developed by a Japanese company... Still, I distinctly remember having a "WTF" moment when I was a kid playing this game. At least this isn't nearly as bad as WELCOME TO DIE...

Thanks for the info... however, I'd like to imagine a mechanical taco...

G-Man made a page for Mech Taco guys: http://www.comicvine.com/mech-taco/29-78661/

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jordanstine
    @inferiorego said:

@Sakurafire said:

Tako (or taco) is the word for octopus. Since it was developed by a Japanese company... Still, I distinctly remember having a "WTF" moment when I was a kid playing this game. At least this isn't nearly as bad as WELCOME TO DIE...

G-Man made a page for Mech Taco guys: http://www.comicvine.com/mech-taco/29-78661/

Nomination for next villain in the Iron Man 3 or Captain America 2 movie.

Ooh Avengers 2 movie, why not.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Jordanstine said:

@inferiorego said:

@Sakurafire said:

I'd rather see Mech Taco in the new Batman film.

Bane... Catwoman... Mech. Taco!

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dorsk188

I  remember renting this game so many times...  I... I remember renting a lot of games back then... 

ARGH!  Nostalgia!  It burns... it burns... 

@inferiorego

said:

@Jordanstine said:

@inferiorego said:

@Sakurafire said:

These are brilliant ideas.  Mech Taco needs his own solo prequel, too.  Mech Taco: Origins.  Or Mech Taco: First Tentacle.  Mech Taco Begins...  Hell, why not make all three?  A prequel trilogy!  Eat that, Lucas! 

EDIT: I just realized why it's Mech Taco.  Takoyaki is Japanese for octopus, commonly shortened to Tako.  It's a Mech. Octopus with lazy translators.  If this information ruins the fun you guys are having, feel free to ignore it entirely.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@dorsk188 said:

I remember renting this game so many times... I... I remember renting a lot of games back then...

ARGH! Nostalgia! It burns... it burns...

@inferiorego

said:

@Jordanstine said:

@inferiorego said:

@Sakurafire said:

These are brilliant ideas. Mech Taco needs his own solo prequel, too. Mech Taco: Origins. Or Mech Taco: First Tentacle. Mech Taco Begins... Hell, why not make all three? A prequel trilogy! Eat that, Lucas! EDIT: I just realized why it's Mech Taco. Takoyaki is Japanese for octopus, commonly shortened to Tako. It's a Mech. Octopus with lazy translators. If this information ruins the fun you guys are having, feel free to ignore it entirely.

Sakurafire beat you to it.

I am currently trying to find an artist to do a fun Mech Taco comic for ComicVine

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dorsk188
    @inferiorego: So they did.  (Blast my spotty comment reading skills).
    AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlKusanagi

They did play different it I remember correctly. Their projectile attacks had different properties, so that's why I always used Hawkeye.

Also: Why should it goes well!

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Oh man I love that game, I bought it for Sega, and My friends and I, we would play to long hrs of the night. I loved hawkeye, cap, Iron man, and vision in these games. truly a classic. I hope they do bring this back for Ipad. I also wish they bring back TMNT video game from sega and the Punisher game where you can be Nick Fury as well. Those games were top notch

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By DanialCarroll

Never heard of this before, but I do agree that the Avengers deserve a modern video game.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@alkusanagi said:

They did play different it I remember correctly. Their projectile attacks had different properties, so that's why I always used Hawkeye.

Also: Why should it goes well!

What I mean was that yes, Hawkeye fired arrows, Iron Man blasted from his hands, Vision shot lasers, and Cap threw his shield, but they all really just do the same thing.

@CombatSpoon86 said:

Oh man I love that game, I bought it for Sega, and My friends and I, we would play to long hrs of the night. I loved hawkeye, cap, Iron man, and vision in these games. truly a classic. I hope they do bring this back for Ipad. I also wish they bring back TMNT video game from sega and the Punisher game where you can be Nick Fury as well. Those games were top notch

I've been trying to get my hands on the Punisher game for a while. It costs $50 online. I've wanted to write about that game since I started doing this... Luckily, I have a friend who says he will let me borrow it.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CombatSpoon86

Anybody remember Spider-man the Arcade game? You can play as Namor, Black Cat and Hawkeye. And the big boss was Doctor Doom. I played that game in Celebration Station alot and I probably blew like a ton of quarters on that game itself

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CombatSpoon86
    @inferiorego:  
    Really wow, I wish I can remember what happened to my copy. I remember there was a code to you can be Nick Fury instead of Punisher I beat the game with Nick. That was a classic game facing Kingpin's cronies lol
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Oh man, I loved the arcade version of this game. I got the SNES version for Xmas one year, but all I can remember is that you had to be lined up perfectly with the guy you were trying to hit. Well, that, and the fact that your character would shriek "Nooooooooo!!!!" every time he got hit (and they all had the exact same voice). It was like a higher-pitched version of Vader screaming from Episode 3.

dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dorsk188

On a related note, Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage was awesome.  You could play as Spider-Man or Venom.  I don't remember anything else about it, but I played it for so many lost hours.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@CombatSpoon86 said:

Anybody remember Spider-man the Arcade game? You can play as Namor, Black Cat and Hawkeye. And the big boss was Doctor Doom. I played that game in Celebration Station alot and I probably blew like a ton of quarters on that game itself

Yet another game I have been trying to find. I found an actual arcade version about 6 months ago for $2k. Too rich for my blood.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CombatSpoon86
    @inferiorego: $2000 wow jesus. That's the one game I've been looking for forever. All the other games I've found but not this one
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By leokearon

I have the Mega Drive/Genesis version (well a ROM) of it and the speech is awful, 

"Thank you .... QUICKSILVER" 

Ah good/bad times
    djotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 367

#28  Edited By djotaku

You should get together with the Giant Bomb guys and do a quick look at this.  It'd be HILARIOUS!

Havik86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Havik86

I guess when you compare it to games like Streets of Rage or Golden Axe, Cap & the Avengers just doesn't hold up. It's has no where near the level of depth of those games. Sure most beat 'em up games are identical in a lot of respects, but at least there were enough differences in terms of powers, spells and special attacks that it didn't feel like you were playing with one character and his modified clones.

Personally I don't expect a good Avengers game. There's no excuse for it since basically all Marvel has to do is produce an Avengers version of X-men Legends II and they're golden. But all they had to do was a movie version of Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction for that movie tie-in game to be a success and they couldn't even do that. I blame Sega more than Marvel, but when you know a game is coming down the pipes for 5 years, there's no reason for a crappy release.

Game-wise Iron Man was a fail, Hulk the same, ditto for Thor, and I don't expect anything more from Captain America. Add to that the history of the X-men movie games, and the Fantastic Four movie games and there's not a lot of hope. The Wolverine game and Spider-Man 2 were decent but how heart-breaking is it when all you're hoping for is half-decent.

hrodvitnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By hrodvitnir

" so I understand the "Mech." part, but why "taco?"" 

This may be a stretch and I could very well be wrong, but I know "Tako" is japanese for Octopus.  Just throwing that out there.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @inferiorego: So...would a taco filled with octopus meat then be a "tako taco?" I so want one of those right now...
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PrinceIMC

I used to love that game. I'd always play as Captain America because his was the only projectile attack that returned to him so you could basically hit people twice. It was also my introduction to characters Vision and Hawkeye when I was a kid. Plus you could cheat, if you were near death on your last life you just plug in a second controller and jump in as a different character. That's the only way I beat the game in the end.

PhantomAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PhantomAres

I still have my original copy. And my Genesis. I should get both out and relive the memories. XD

THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

I have this for SNES.  Every time I play it and fight the giant robot, I'm always like man, that's a damn Sentinel.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Billy Batson

MECH TACO! 

BB

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#36  Edited By The Impersonator

I think I have played this game before.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bestostero

I have this game on SNES, Vision is my favorite in this game! :)

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I LOVE this game 
    I play the ROM of it all the time on my computer 
    "Thank you, Quicksilver!" 
    and I LOVE the battle against Klaw and Living Laser at the same time- Classic! 
    why don't they make awesome, fun, fast-paced arcade beat'em ups like this any more?  
    they could make them about anything and sell them as DLC on PSN and XBL and make BANK

KeepThisKoupon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KeepThisKoupon

i remember this game. it was soo fun

NinjaMime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NinjaMime

I remember playing this, some of the other Avengers come to help you out! Wasp was just as useless in the game.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The Genesis Version is wicked easy. I've played it probably too many times and have beaten it too many times with ease.  If I'm not mistaken, The Mandarin is one of the final bosses if not the final boss.

Casshern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Casshern

I remember this GAME!! 

I think I'm going to go and buy it for my still working Genesis. I can't beat The Adventures of Batman & Robin....can't get past the first level...Damn that game, BUT ITS SOOOOO COOL! 

Spiderman and Maximum Carnage Revenge...Thats Final Fight all the way! I can almost beat this game. Old games don't have saving. I need to find that Superman game thats like this too.

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By maxicere

THIS is my game!!! I love this game!!

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dementedtheclown

REVIEW The Genesis game, Justice League: Task Force! 

I loved this fighting game as a kid, it had all my favorite versions of the DC characters. Including handless Aquaman and Mullet Superman.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I always loved and have repeated millions of times to this day - "You came here to die!" I think it was Grim Reaper that said it.

Also, me and my friends used to say "Raprrain Rarerrica" all the time because that's what it sounded like on the Genesis.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#46  Edited By lostlantern13

Cheesy as this game was, I loved it and admit that openly.

MHBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MHBroly

Still love this game even after all these years. Maybe it's nostalgia, but I don't care if everyone plays the same, it's still one of the best games to feature those characters (along with the Ultimate Alliance games and MVC games). The dialogue is delightfully cheesy, which in my opinion brought far more amazing gems than X-Men did at the time. The only line people really remember from that game is 'Welcome to die!'. Here every single line is unintentionally funny.

My favorite exchange of dialogue in that game has to be this scene, as follows....

Player Character: YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE!

Whirlwind: YOU WILL BE THE ONE WHO IS ESCAPING!

Me:....what?

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ferro Vida
          Mech Taco?
          Mech Taco?
    Vertigo1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vertigo1981

I loved this game so much back in 1991. It helped push a young 9-year-old into the comic book world that he was already dabbling. 
    Can't really begin to estimate how many quarters I plunged into this thing at my local Showbiz Pizza.  I knew of Cap at the time but did not really know of anything about The Avengers so this was a big first step into their world for me. Because this was my first impression of that team, I think it is the reason why I've always preferred Vision in his colorless costume.
    sithfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 57

#50  Edited By sithfrog

I played this game both in the arcade and I had it on the SNES.  It had a high cheese factor, but still a classic. 

I too remember the Spider-Man arcade game and if it ever was released on a platform I would be tempted to get it.   

The X-Men had a pretty decent Sega game too if I remember correctly.   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.