Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11749 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Awesome Toy Picks: Red Skull and Captain America

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a look at action figures of today and not too long ago. Toy designs have come a long way and the detail put in can be pretty amazing. This week we have a little theme going on. Our main feature is Red Skull and who would go perfect with him? His nemesis, Captain America.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here's the surprise, this Red Skull is actually a movie-related action figure. It's a Marvel Select figure, which means you pay a little more but get a lot more detail than the average figure. But it's also a Captain America: The First Avenger figure.

There's nothing wrong with movie tie-in figures. Sometimes we can get some cool or interesting figures. Usually it just feels a lot of time or attention is put into them. They are made quickly to cash in on the movie's success.

This Red Skull may appear slightly more like his movie counterpart than his comic book one but there is a bit of detail to bee seen. From his jacket, to his gloves and buckles, you can see that the designers did put some care into creating this figure. His gun is removable. A nice little touch is his trigger finger fits in perfectly on the trigger. If you look closely, you can even see a HYDRA logo engraved on his belt buckle.

The Marvel Select figures often come with a base or background. Red Skull here comes with a set from his laboratory. There is a metal-looking piece of floor along with the engine that attaches. It's not an exciting background but it's not necessary for the finger to be able to stand.

There is some minimal articulation. This is a figure designed more for display rather than playability. His arm, wrists, legs and head all move but it's pretty stiff. He simply looks menacing just standing there.

I wasn't going to include Cap this week but with so much evil oozing out of the Red Skull, I dusted off my 2002 Marvel Select Ultimate Captain America (in 1940s attire).

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You may have seen this version before. For as much evil the Red Skull oozes out, this figure screams out patriotism. Standing on a war-torn battle scene, you can see he is not only holding his (removable) classic shield but also an American flag.

Besides a removable shield, his helmet also comes off revealing his other mask underneath. Sure it looks a little odd but that's what adds to the classic 1940s look seen in the Ulimates comic.

I do have to admit, this Cap figure has a bit more detail than Red Skull. The look of texture in his suit and multiple pouches adds to the realism of the figure.

Alas, articulation is sacrificed in making him stand in a firmer pose. Hopefully the Super Soldier Serum will help keep his legs from cramping up, because they don't move. Cap has a total of three points of articulation: his head and arms. But realistically, you're not going to buy this to actually play with. This figure is one of the few that has remained displayed high up on a shelf in my home office. Cheaper than an actual statue but looks cool enough to have standing out. It's because of this figure that I will pass on any First Avenger Cap figures. And he's in perfect scale with Red Skull.

That's it for this week. Hopefully it's not too much red, white and blue for you. Again, we don't usually try to do themes with the figures but it was a bit fitting here. Be sure to check out next week's installment. We've started taking some of the pictures already and they came out really cool. You're going to want to check them out.

No Caption Provided
    doublezeroduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By doublezeroduck

cool Red Skull figure

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I want both of 'em! Especially Skull...and Cap lol.

spiderturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spiderturtle

I want the Captain Skull :]

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jordama

The last one makes Red look so pissed hahaa

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

@jordama: He really didn't want to pose like that for me. I told him it was good for his career.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Daveyo520

I love WWII Cap in general.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7  Edited By Outside_85

Skull looks like a smell offended him. Think Skull the is superior model here.

AlexHasek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By AlexHasek

The Skull's jacket looks awesome. It is sculpted, right? Is any part of the jacket actually fabric?

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wattup

Nice figures. On a related note, it's interesting how often comic book fans bitch about how terrible costumes and appearances are in superhero movies (the Green Goblin is one that comes to mind) yet very few have mentioned how awesome the Red Skull looked in the Captain America movie.

red_rover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By red_rover

@Wattup said:

Nice figures. On a related note, it's interesting how often comic book fans bitch about how terrible costumes and appearances are in superhero movies (the Green Goblin is one that comes to mind) yet very few have mentioned how awesome the Red Skull looked in the Captain America movie.

Good point. Its one of things that either works or it doesn't. The Red Skull worked, so we believed the character. Not so much for Gobby as you mentioned.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Larkin1388

I want both of them.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By keith71_98

Red Skull looks amazing. Cap looks like he's jaundice! 

And I've always questioned why these are called Toys. My son has bought several of these to actually play with and they seldom stay together. When I think of "toy" I relate it to something you play with.
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm not a big fan of the 3 3/4 figures, but the detail an these little guys is incredible.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck

@longbowhunter: The Marvel Select figures are close to 8"

@AlexHasek: All sculpted. The bottom is more pliable.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

I want that Captain America

Final Draft85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Final Draft85

I saw the Red Skull figure at the comic shop I always go to, but didn't find the Capt. fig. Although I found something a bit better... well in my eyes better. The Batman Legacy: Catman figure... I had to instantly buy him, because he looks rad & he a stellar character.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Billy Batson

Pretty cool.
    BB

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By KRYPTON

I like the setting where all these Awesome Toy Picks are being taken

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.