Follow

Sam Wilson

Character » Sam Wilson appears in 2464 issues.

A social worker turned hero, Sam Wilson's bleak outlook on life was wiped away the day he met Captain America. Using a winged costume and his remarkable combat prowess and avian telepathy, he became the Falcon - defender of Harlem, and eventually bearer of Captain America mantle.

Awesome Toy Picks: Falcon Sixth Scale Figure from Hot Toys

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the package. This week we have an early look at an upcoming Hot Toys figure courtesy of Sideshow Collectibles--Falcon Sixth Scale Figure.

No Caption Provided

We've looked at some past Hot Toys figures from Captain America: The Winter Soldier including Captain America/Steve Rogers and Winter Soldier. Falcon makes a nice addition and the figure captures Anthony Mackie's likeness pretty well. If you haven't already, be sure to check out our hands of video at the top of the page.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

What's most impressive about this figure is his wings. It has quite a wingspan at 24-inches. The wings are removable, as you'll see, plus they're adjustable. If you're familiar with Hot Toys figures, you know there's plenty of articulation and a lot of options in how you position and display them.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

He comes with a couple submachine guns. You'll have to decide if you want him holding the guns or holding onto the wings. His goggles are removable as well. You can also position them so they're resting on his head. Just be careful not to scratch the paint on his head.

There's always something a little freaky when you look into the eyes of a Hot Toys figure. It's almost as if they're looking into your soul.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There are two sets of wrist guards. When you use the ones that the guns attach to, they can slide right off to mimic the action where they'd easily pop into his hands when needed. The only problem I have with the figure is being able to see the joints at his elbow and head. With the arms, it's understandable since he's wearing a short-sleeve shirt. As for the neck, they could've have done what they did with the Steve Rogers figure (seen below).

The backpack was a little tricky snapping onto place. Once it's on, you'll want to just keep it on. There's a great amount of detail to it. One the sides are two parts that slide off so you can insert the wings into.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

You can see the attention to detail they put into his outfit. There appears to be a bunch of straps and the stitching is something. The zipper in the front even works and you can see the t-shirt he's wearing underneath.

This detail continues throughout his outfit. He's wearing camouflage pants and shin guards. What's weird is the back of his boots, there's some tiny print about Falcon (and Sam Wilson) being a fictitious character, etc.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The nice thing about having different figures is displaying them with others. It's another way to compare how each one looks in relation to the other and if their look holds up as it should.

No Caption Provided

I've already pointed out how impressive the wings are. The problem you'll have is making sure you have room to display them when they're opened.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Another thing I like is he can stand on his own with the wings on and fully extended. He does come with a stand, which we'll look at in a sec. But despite the little added weight of the wings, he can still stand up.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Here you can see how he looks from behind with the wings in their folded position.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

If his wings and backpack didn't look cool enough, there's also a hidden switch to turn on some LED lights.

No Caption Provided

You don't have to worry about will he fall over when someone bumps the shelf (or where you have him on display). He does come with a big stand. The base has a S.H.I.E.L.D. logo on it and there's a nameplate with his name.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The stand is similar to the one we saw with the Spider-Man sixth scale figure. Since he's a flying character, you can move the pole to position him in aerial poses.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Hot Toys and Sideshow Collectibles have done it again. Each figure in in the Winter Soldier line has been great (although I never got a close look at Black Widow).

Falcon is now available for pre-order at SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES. The cost is $249.99. Sure, that sounds like a lot but it's what you would expect for Falcon with his wings and detail. You can check the link for more information on the figure. It's schedule to ship between March and April.

No Caption Provided

Anthony Mackie did a fantastic job as Falcon in the movie. If you enjoyed it or are a fan of the character, you'll definitely want this figure. The wingspan is impressive. It looks almost majestic on display. Serious collectors won't want to pass on this. If you have a birthday or something coming up, this would be a great item to add to your wish list. If you've been saving up some money for your collectible purchases, you might want to seriously consider this one. Thanks to Sideshow for giving us an early look. It's a great addition to the other Hot Toys figures.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Too real looking. Freaks me out.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

First look and I thought it was Blade. Those glasses are awesome. (Keep 'em on, those eyes are unnaturally realistic.)

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The stare does scare me a bit, but the rest of it is amazing as always.

@g_man how do the guns clip on the wrist? Is it just a groove/ slot type of setup? Or magnets? (I believe most things can be explained by the use of magnets). Also any chance of a closer detail on the weird foot writing you mentioned?

Great review anyway, just wish I could afford these statues...

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow, that is both awesome and scary to look at. Do Falcon's index fingers articulate on their own? I notice in some pics they're on the trigger of the guns, but when around the wing handle they're inline with the rest of the fingers.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Captain America figures continue to be awesome. I don't know if that says more about the character designs for the movies or for the figure sculptors.

Is anyone else concerned about the fact that Falcon doesn't wear a helmet? That still bothers me.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The stare does scare me a bit, but the rest of it is amazing as always.

@g_man how do the guns clip on the wrist? Is it just a groove/ slot type of setup? Or magnets? (I believe most things can be explained by the use of magnets). Also any chance of a closer detail on the weird foot writing you mentioned?

Great review anyway, just wish I could afford these statues...

The separate wrist guards simply have a little peg that pops into a little hole on the side of the guns. Then the piece slides off the guards if you want to easily remove the gun. You can see this better explained (and shown) in the video at the very top of the page.

As for the writing, if you open that image in a different tab instead of just clicking on it, you can see the high res version. I always take big images so if you want to see other details, you can do the same. But here's the image. Just click to enlarge:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/4392558-dsc00398.jpg

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that is both awesome and scary to look at. Do Falcon's index fingers articulate on their own? I notice in some pics they're on the trigger of the guns, but when around the wing handle they're inline with the rest of the fingers.

There's different sets of hands. I guess I didn't explain that in the text. You can see the different hands in the video.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

There's different sets of hands. I guess I didn't explain that in the text. You can see the different hands in the video.

Ah, not quite as cool as a hinged index finger, but still pretty neat. And wow, they sure did make Cap's shield awfully bloody.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck

@galacticfork: haha. I always assumed that was meant to be red paint "chipping" off.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GalacticFork

@g_man: Oh! Ha! That makes so much more sense than Cap going on a murderous rampage (unless that was the real reason Rogers was replaced, and that whole "rapid aging" thing was all a lie--lousy government coverups).

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galacticfork: you lousy attempt at masking a sales gimmick as promoting diversity*

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Fear Him.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Falcon...PUNCH!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man:

Thanks for pointing that out! The 'Falcon is a fictional character' stamp is beaten hands down by the warning sign that says "warning signs are usually triangles in shape".

Methinks someone forgot to stop and check what they cut & pasted on the decals/ writing.

But its still an awesome figure, did you see if the wings are aerodynamic accurate by a test flight?

(Even the thought of someone throwing it makes me scared!)

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ostyo
    Skyhawk1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought Black Widow. Next - Falcon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.