Follow

Captain America: The First Avenger

Movie » Captain America: The First Avenger released on July 22, 2011.

A brave yet mild-mannered weakling, Steve Rogers, volunteers to undergo experiments to become the world's first Super-Soldier. After the success of the experiments and learning of a Nazi plan, Steve Rogers must rise up as, the one and only, Captain America.

What Could Happen In A Captain America Sequel?

• 85 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

After all the months and years of speculation, the movie we thought we'd never see is at last here. Needless to say, there are MAJOR SPOILERS below. If you read them after this warning and complain about how your experience is diminished, then you absolutely deserved to be hauled away by nasty MP officers and thrown into a stockade.

It's alright if we're speculating about sequels. Cap's already looking ahead, himself.
    It's alright if we're speculating about sequels. Cap's already looking ahead, himself.
    == TEASER ==

VILLAINS?

Well, the AVENGERS movie is basically a direct sequel to this flick, and I expect the arc of Cap’s adjustment to modern times will be covered there. However, Marvel’s already got screenplays for more solo movies being written and I don’t suspect they’re going to be “gaidens” that’ll fill the gaps of Cap’s wartime adventures. The playing field is thus almost totally open in respect to what villains could appear.

Might we see a revived HYDRA led by the Fenris twins, Viper, the Serpent Society or perhaps a highly-revised version of Baron von Strucker? THE FIRST AVENGER drops Cap into a more generalized fantasy scenario, so I can’t really see him facing any threats like the Hate-Monger, Dr. Faustus, Crossbones or Baron Zemo who're specifically meant to be Neo-Nazis. I suspect that the Skull will return at some point because that energy trail in his apparent death scene bore a more-than-passing resembling to the wormhole that transported Asgardians to and fro in THOR.

Zemo's cool and all, but I just don't see him working here.
    Zemo's cool and all, but I just don't see him working here.

The notion of there being other Captain Americas who served while Steve was on ice is actually a fairly big part of the character’s mythos, so maybe we’ll see him confronting embittered successors like the USAgent or Nuke (to borrow a cue from ULTIMATE CAPTAIN AMERICA?) Unless he were changed over as much as Arnim Zola was, I can’t see M.O.D.O.K. (or AIM for that matter) fitting into this more realistic milieu. I could see heavily-retooled versions of international villains like Flag Smasher and Batroc coming in to harp on the messier state of global politics today in comparison to what seemed so much simpler during World War II. However, the most likely antagonist has already been introduced…

THE WINTER SOLDIER?

The best bet heel for the next movie. Put your money down on it.
    The best bet heel for the next movie. Put your money down on it.

Bucky falls, but we don’t see him land. We don’t see the body. He disappears in enemy territory and Cap doesn’t ever get much time to really mourn his best pal.

Those are some strong clues, there.

One of the more eyebrow-raising details of all of this movie's casting announcements concerned the one for Sebastian Stan getting locked as Bucky. The report said that he’d signed on for five or six movies. Considering how Joe Johnston's already voiced his interest, it’s clear that Mr. Barnes is going to come back. He might not be called the Winter Soldier and he not have a lot of time logged in Soviet Russia (and I doubt he’ll have anything close to a relationship with the movies' Black Widow,) but I’d put money down to say that he’ll return as a semi-immortal, brainwashed antagonist who’ll force Steve to fight his best friend.

THE HOWLING COMMANDOS?

I've got a hunch that these joes are going to show up again, in some form or another.
    I've got a hunch that these joes are going to show up again, in some form or another.

Why do I feel like these guys will be back? For one, Neil McDonough’s a fairly big actor for such a small part. It’s somewhat akin to Sam Jackson’s brief appearances as Mace Windu in THE PHANTOM MENACE. You just know his appearance is there just to square business for more. Also, Variety reported that Derek Luke is scheduled to reprise his role in THE AVENEGRS, so I could see these guys becoming the founding members of SHIELD and then staying young for decades thanks to the Infinity Formula. Maybe the idea seems maybe too “comic-booky” at first, but it might be something that could just as easily be played down to seem at least somewhat more realistic.

PEGGY & SHARON CARTER?

No Caption Provided

Back during the screen tests, I recall this part being described as something that would also entail a multi-picture deal. Maybe that was misinformation, but if it wasn’t, I don’t think Hayley Atwell would be returning for flashback cameos alone. My guess is that they might follow the conceit of having Sharon Carter be the spitting image of her aunt Peggy, and the actress would play a different-yet-still-the-same role. However, that kind of coincidence might be too hokey (or creepy, if you think too hard about the family connection) for this cinematic universe. The ending of THE FIRST AVENGER eludes to it somewhat by having Cap greeted by a SHIELD agent who resembles Peggy, so maybe the plan is just to hire another actress who looks like her. Or, considering how she’s part of a prototype of SHIELD, maybe she’ll also be staying young with the aforementioned Infinity Formula over all the decades and years.

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer ofHYBRID BASTARDS!&UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazonhere&here. Follow him on Twitter:@tompinchuk

The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By The Hobgoblin

Here's hoping we get more Red Skull in the next movie and an origin story borrowed directly from Tales of Suspense #66 and Cap #298 to go with him.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I can't wait for them to do the Winter Soldier story in a sequel. I personally want to see Zemo in a movie too. 

Radread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Radread

Winter Soldier is perfect and you can get Zemo in it.

unicornpuncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By unicornpuncher

He should get a job with Thor stripping around the country for freedom and justice.  Id  totally watch it.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Cafeterialoca

Crossbones, Winter Solder, Red Skull and Sharon Carter.
    These are your sure fire bets on who is in Cap 2.

Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GiantsizeManThing

How about john steel from the secrete avengers? of fixer and songbird to set up a thunderbolts movie?

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Bestostero

Winter Soldier, yes please.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By fodigg

I think they should have a cold war era Winter Soldier movie with Black Widow and a tragic ending, then lead into a modern-day winter soldier vs cap movie.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Well, I think the focus of the next film will be Steve Rogers being a man out of time.
    He has missed so much, been gone for 70 years.  So it will be him unsure of himself and missing his old friends and family.
    Maybe finding out what happened to Peggy and the Commandos.  Maybe Carol Danvers, Peggy's descendant will try to help him come out of his funk.  Maybe diving into being Captain America and forgetting being Steve.  I get the feeling the next film will be sort of sad. 
    I think its safe to say we will se Zola return in his robot form.

No Caption Provided
    I was thinking, since this is a comic book movie that ties into other comic book movies, maybe they can bring in elements from the comics.  Like characters being brought back to life in odd ways.  Maybe Loki brings back the Howling Commandos.  Or the Red Skull returns with the power of the cosmic cube or something.
    GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By GothamRed

my guesses would be winter soldier and sharon carter, but cap has so much history, anything could happen

SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SleepyDrug

I am totally uninterested in any version of the Winter Soldier.  But it is probably inevitable. 

Villains I do want to see: Arnim Zola (in some version of his cyborg body), Batroc the Leaper (probably Cap's best physical counter other than Crossbones), the Serpent Society, Hydra, or Baron Zemo.  Arnim or Zemo easily fit into the role of a legacy type villain seeking revenge for Cap's beating Hydra in the '40s.  Arnim (as a cyborg) would desire this personally, and Zemo can easily be introduced as the son or grandson of a Hydra officer.  Batroc is a smooth fit as a hired hand.  The Serpent Society or Winter Soldier make for a good physical tool with just a bit more explanation needed.  Hydra makes sense with the explanation that it survived and rebuilt.  Viper or Baron Strucker can easily serve as Hydra's new leader.  If we get a disgruntled interim Cap....i'd rather see the Grand Director and Jack Monroe/Nomad than Nuke or USAgent.

Allies....it is obvious that Cap 2 will start with Cap working with SHIELD as he did in the 1960s and 70s.  By this logic, we'll see Howling Commandos as SHIELD agents, Maria Hill, Fury, Sharon Carter, and maybe Hawkeye.  Hawkeye and Cap's friendship is a major piece in the comics.  The gang from Steve's apartment complex would be a nice drop-in (Bernie, Arnie, and the rest).  I'd also love to see Sam Wilson, even if we're not likely to get him as the high-flying Falcon.  On the other hand, since Cap will be in a world with Iron Man and Thor....why can't we have Falcon.  Sam IS Cap's definitive partner in the modern world.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Primmaster64

Winter Soldier definatly.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cafeterialoca

You know what I would KILL for?
    Diamondback.
    But NOOOOOOOO, they're gonna do Sharon Carter instead.  BAH!  Female secret Agents are a dime a dozen.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Gambit1024
    @SleepyDrug: I totally forgot about Falcon. I'd rather see him as a SHIELD agent than a costumed hero, but he would be a great addition in a future Cap movie. 

Good call. 
    Sickenly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sickenly

Well seeing that Bucky was laying up on that gurney, makes me suspicious. Obviously their is something with that. I mean Bucky easily could have been with the other POW's. This is totally going to be a Captain America Vs Winter Soldier fight! Wonder if he is going to have any of the cybernetics?  

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#16  Edited By batmanboy11

Considering the woman who is in the room with Steve is in that Avengers teaser as well, I think it's safe to say that's Sharon. I hope so, anyway. 

As for a villain, I really would like to see them tackle the Winter Soldier in the sequel.
    Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sammo21

Zemo would be a great villain for the sequel and then setup the end for Winter Soldier in CA3.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

i do not want to see a sequel. it reminded me too much of the rocketeer! 

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By shawn87

I'm sure we'll be seeing the Winter Soldier in the next movie which is fine with me. Personally I want to see Baron Zemo in a movie. Maybe that's a way they could introduce the Thunderbolts if they wanted to take that direction. Probably wont happen though.  

And not that Hayley Atwell did a bad job in the movie but I hope they dont bring her back to play Sharon Carter. They need to get a different actress. Having Sharon Carter is a must in the next film though

clumsyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By clumsyninja

Zemo and Winter Soldier would be nice...Zola should appear too 

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ZombiePie

Is this article the reason why the Comic Vine Twitter account asked me why I didn't like Captain America?

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @shawn87 said:
    I'm sure we'll be seeing the Winter Soldier in the next movie which is fine with me. Personally I want to see Baron Zemo in a movie. Maybe that's a way they could introduce the Thunderbolts if they wanted to take that direction. Probably wont happen though.   And not that Hayley Atwell did a bad job in the movie but I hope they dont bring her back to play Sharon Carter. They need to get a different actress. Having Sharon Carter is a must in the next film though
    I would KILL for a Thunderbolts film!  Here's hoping they do it!
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Decept-O

I sincerely doubt there'd be a Captain America sequel of any type. I say this because Cap next appears in the Avengers movie, and don't see there being a need story wise for another one. Yes, it would be cool. Have there been any official statements from Marvel/Disney about another Cap movie or at least plans for another one? It would surprise me if they did.

SeanNOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeanNOLA
    @Cafeterialoca: I agree 100%. When did Marvel decide that Sharon Carter was going to be Steve's Lois Lane? Diamondback was rad, and we never got a solid resolution out of that character. Boo.
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @Decept-O: There are Captain American 2 plans.  They stated that they would set Cap to adjust to the modern world.  They also commented on the Winter Solider being VERY possible.
    Also, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are planned after the Avengers.  Disney is creating an initiative for Marvel Studios to make 2 Marvel Movies a Year.  This does not include Sony's Spider-Man Reboot or any of Fox's X-Men, Daredevil, FF, or Ghost Rider properties.
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By The Hobgoblin

I'd like to see, as far as classic Cap stories being adapted, something along the lines of Mark Gruenwald's "Captain America No More". It'd also be the perfect way to reintroduce the Red Skull into modern times.

SeanNOLA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeanNOLA

I think they were setting the audience up for the Winter Soldier in the first movie.  
    I mean think about it: Why else would they have killed Bucky off on the train, rather than in the very obvious bomber scene? Also, why else would they have gone through the trouble of setting the scene up so he takes the shield before plummeting to his "death?" That door was left open for us intentionally. 

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By firewrkninja
    AVENEGRS ASSEMBLE!
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By labarith

There are a lot of movies they could do: 
    *  Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos.  late WW2-era cleanup?  

* Captain America 2: 
    Simple story: 
    1.  Start w. Bucky + Cap mission that goes Russian - tell through flashbacks.
    2.  Have russians go Winter Soldier on Bucky. 
    3.  Have Bucky be sent to kill Cap... maybe dug up by modern day hydra.
    4.  Cap + Bucky fight new hydra villain. 

Simple?  Yup.

SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SleepyDrug
    @SeanNOLA said:

@Cafeterialoca: I agree 100%. When did Marvel decide that Sharon Carter was going to be Steve's Lois Lane? Diamondback was rad, and we never got a solid resolution out of that character. Boo.

It was when Mark Waid took over from Gruenwald.  Waid entirely dismantled and shifted to Comic Book Limbo every supporting cast character Gruenwald had used in the past 15 years (at least).  Waid got rid of Diamondback, Bernie Rosenthal, Arnie Roth, Fabian Stankowitz, Free Spirit, Jack Flag, and more.   

He then brought in Sharon Carter, and had Cap act like she was his perfect woman because they had a history together.  This was in spite of the fact that Sharon had a totally different personality which was aggressive, cynical, and easily accepted killing in almost any situation.
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By difficlus
     Also it was said that the cosmic cube belongs to Odin. 
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Decept-O

@Cafeterialoca: Was this from Marvel/Disney? Perhaps I didn't read this article correctly or remember the info. If what you are saying is true, and I trust you are, I am surprised. I wouldn't mind another Cap movie but again, think it would be a bit pointless in my opinion. I would just have Cap associated with The Avengers. I know Cap has a long running title, don't get me wrong, he's had a long history with a lot of characters, so more Cap movies would be possible.

If there will be more sequels like ones for Thor and a third installment for Iron Man, I guess it would stand to reason there would be plans for another Cap movie. I just haven't read anything official yet. Winter Soldier, I don't know. I think that would be a stretch, though, even if the character was well done in the comics, might be a stretch for movie audiences to watch nor desire.

I agree with your previous statement about Diamondback! Also, yes, female spy agents, dime a dozen, getting old hat already, amp up the action and give us some powered characters!

cdeoleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cdeoleo
    @SleepyDrug: Would love to see Sam Wilson, in the movie verse. Falcon may be too much but as a SHIELD agent is a definite GO!
    jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jeanlucpicard

The civil war would be so freaking awesome.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35  Edited By Comiclove5
    @clumsyninja said:
    Zemo and Winter Soldier would be nice...Zola should appear too 
    Yesssssssssssss!!!
    Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Darkmount1

I think that maybe they should do one focusing on the two men who succeeded Steve Rogers in the latter half of the 40's--either an Invaders movie with William Naslund (the Spirit of '76) as Cap or one with the All-Winner's Squad with Jeff Mace as Cap.
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#37  Edited By Dracade102

No other Cap villain could even compare to the Red Skull aside from either one of the Baron Zemo's or perhaps Adolf Hitler himself... And since the movie won't take place in the 40's Zemo should be the obvious choice. I can live with a costume redesign on his part, but aside from that if they stick close to his origin as an evil Nazi war-criminal with a vendetta against Captain America, I think it could work out... Or maybe it could be put as the plot of an Avengers sequel when he creates the Masters of Evil.

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GTG12

Winter Soldier for me and maybe Zemo. Both would be sweet.
    shackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By shackle

If they can find any reason to pour Hayley Atwell into a tight red dress again I'd appreciate it.

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jorgeareizaga

I hope they do not do a sequel, I hated this movie, it is SUPER BORING AND FULL OF CLICHES!!!!

Sylver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sylver

Oh I can't wait for a sequel! This was an incredible movie! As soon as it was over, I wanted more! :-) 
    Avatar image for crimsoninutears
    CrimsonInuTears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CrimsonInuTears

I'd love to see a Winter Soldier, considerin they already started the process, but I doubt it'd be in two. Three maybe, if it makes it that far~ ^_^

Also, accordin to IMDB Neil McDonough's already slated for the Nick Fury movie that's supposedly bein made. Whether that movie happens or not is questionable~

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By goldenkey

Im guessing Zemo and Winter Soldier, or Stucker and Winter Soldier.  I don't think it will be a time peice either. 
    King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By King Quisling

It's been said by Kevin Feige and Joe Johnston that the Captain America movies will borrow heavily for Brubaker's run on Cap. We can expect Winter Soldier, I'm sure. Also, the return of Red Skull and Zola. Hydra may play a role but I have a feeling they'll be saved mostly for the planned Shield movie. Will General Alexander Lukin play a role? Doubtful, as super-soldier Red Skull defeats the purpose of possessed host Red Skull. Will the Winter Soldier in the films be a secret weapon of the Soviets? Also doubtful. It is possible, however, that Winter Soldier would be a secret weapon of Hydra. We know Hydra had something special planned for him, as he appeared to be strapped to some sort of "brainwashing" table when Steve found him. Only time will reveal what is to come from a Captain America sequel. As for now, I'm just gonna enjoy what Marvel Studios have given us fans already.

mhanson108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mhanson108

Zemo could be pretty badass, winter soldier as well.... Crazy what the movies are doing with Marvel Universe.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Dark Cell
    @Decept-O said:

I sincerely doubt there'd be a Captain America sequel of any type. I say this because Cap next appears in the Avengers movie, and don't see there being a need story wise for another one. Yes, it would be cool. Have there been any official statements from Marvel/Disney about another Cap movie or at least plans for another one? It would surprise me if they did.

There will at least be one seque I belive.

Personally Id like to see Baron Zemo as the villain
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I swear that that girl at the end of the Cap movie was Sharon Carter, she had a similar look to her so it almost has to be done I say. As for a villain, Baron Zemo all the way.  Have a separate Winter Soldier movie. And Neal McDonough as Dum Dum Dugan was just great, really! Have him come back, please.

Avatar image for crimsonthunder1
    Crimson Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#48  Edited By Crimson Thunder

The Invaders, then the Winter Soldier story

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Rowen545

I vote Zemo and/or Winter Soldier

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cafeterialoca
    @SeanNOLA: Well, we did during the last 5 issues of the Initiative...though she needs to come back again.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.