depinhom's Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 review

Avatar image for depinhom
  • depinhom wrote this review on .
  • depinhom has written a total of 5 reviews. The last one was for

Captain America - Steve Rogers 001

I'll be honest, I was a little scared when I heard everyone's favorite soldier was really a double-agent, but after reading a review by @krleavenger, I feel a lot better and less nervous about the future of Marvel Comics. And yet, something was still unsettling about the way Captain America betrayed his team and surprised the readers with that final -

But, I thought it was a great ending. It left the reader (or me, at least) with their jaw-dropped, wondering what would happen next. The going back and forth between Steve's childhood life and his present life as Captain America was also a very strategic move on the writers' parts, showing how everyone wants to make a difference, whether it be for the good or the bad, and even his mother wanted to make a difference. That's where her joining HYDRA comes in.

What I did find a little odd about this was that Elisa described HYDRA as a small group of good-doers, but I guess it makes more sense than asking Sarah to come to some meeting by the Nazi splinter group for research and development. What I'm looking forward to in future issues is how Sarah's membership or interest in HYDRA translates to Steve joining and how it makes Steve so invested in the cause that he goes through U.S. Military training all for the cause of HYDRA.

One problem I did have was that I thought Cap's reveal was a little too abrupt and kind of wrong place, wrong time, if you ask me.

Still, I had fun reading it and I am looking forward to the other issues!

HAIL HYDRA!