Captain America: Sam Wilson #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I love Steve Rogers as Captain America. Sam Wilson has always been a great character but he's always been Falcon. When we have characters switch mantles to take on a new identity, it can be interesting but in the back of your mind, you can't stop thinking about their "proper" superhero identity. When Steve lost the Super Soldier Serum and his youth, he handed over the Captain America mantle to Sam. Sam has done a great job but I couldn't help but wait for things to return back to the old ways. Reading this new series by Nick Spencer, I'm no longer in such a rush to see things revert back.

As with the other All-New, All-Different Marvel titles, we have the eight month jump. Usually I feel the in medias res approach is a little bothersome and sometimes lazy. Here, it adds to the excitement and anticipation. Once you start seeing how things have changed, you really hunger to find out more and cling onto every word.

Basically, Sam's standing as Captain America hasn't been too well received after he made a public stand. No longer is "Captain America" deeply tied to the Avengers or S.H.I.E.L.D. I have to say, it reminds me of the adventures Cap had in the 80s. Having a large organization to fall back on made things easier. Sam isn't exactly alone. He is joined by Misty Knight and Dennis "D-Man" Dunphy. You'll love every minute of them. Sam is trying to continue fighting for the people. Misty takes on a great role alongside Sam. D-Man has had a convoluted and tragic career. The idea of using a character that suffered from mental illness is a big step.

Spencer also inserts a good dose of a political climate without making the story feel too preachy or too tongue in cheek with any of today's hot topics. At its core, this is Sam doing all he can for the people as Captain America. The way he's approaching things may have had some flaws but it's also allowing him to do what needs to be done for those that really need the assistance.

Joining Spencer on art duties is Daniel Acuña. There's a great mix in the story telling between some average civilian scenes along with some heavy duty action. Acuña hits the mark and I felt myself getting pulled in further into the story. There have been times when I would get a little distracted with Acuña's art but I really dig the way this book looks and feels.

Sam Wilson is Captain America. This is something I've struggled with a little inside by my stubbornness that he should be Falcon and Steve Rogers should be Cap. Nick Spencer takes Sam to a different place as Cap and it really feels true to the character. He's the kind of guy that will stand up for his beliefs and do what he can to help the everyman By alienated so many, he's now forced to try to take a new approach to being Cap and it reminds me of the old Captain America stories I loved as a kid. Daniel Acuña's art captures the beat of every scene whether it's average people having a conversation or intense action. I wasn't sure what to expect with this title but after reading it, I am 100% on board. I can't remember the last time a comic has completely caught me off guard in such a way. Thank goodness I didn't wait until later to read this book.

Koop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I absolutely loved this book. Didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
    Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Loved it. Already like it much more than Rick Rimender's All-New Captain America. Nick Spencer infuses great humor into Sam's current situation while still conveying some seriousness and highlighting Sam's drive to help others.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Misty Knight is bae.

Avatar image for geeksatthemovies
    GeeksAtTheMovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GeeksAtTheMovies
    Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

You gotta be freaking kidding me. This gets 5 stars!

Marvel must be paying you.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I hope Misty doesn't hook up with Sam. Love Iron Fist and Misty Knight together.

Speaking of which, where is Colleen Wing in ANAD Marvel?

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You gotta be freaking kidding me. This gets 5 stars!

Marvel must be paying you.

Ahem, your bias is showing AllstarSUPERMAN.

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I loved All-New Cap and was afraid that this new book wouldn't live up to that, but this sounds great.

tsold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this. I also love that Spencer isn't afraid to throw Cap into a very real world, and America dividing political issue. It can walk a very fine line, but can also lead to a great story. Looking forward to the next issue and seeing just how separated Steve and Sam have become on some of these issues.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good start to the series. Hope to see how Spencer differentiates Sam further from Steve in the role.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
    spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't too crazy about they skipped right over what Sam actually said. The gist of what he said was fairly clear, or at least you could read into it by the kind of criticism that was being thrown at him. But it kind of seemed like a cop-out to skip right over it, especially since it's such a crucial part of the story. I kind of get the feeling that Marvel was trying to play it safe or just avoiding having one of their flagship characters take a strong stand. Honestly I would've liked it a lot better if it was left more ambiguous what he said, rather than just making it all about him upsetting conservatives. Writing about angry conservatives isn't exactly new or anything.

SuperiorBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You all need to realize Spencer is just...the best.

marcohtx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best #1's so far. I love the way the story is going.

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think Sam will only be Cap for about another year or so. That being said, and as much as I love Steve, I feel like Sam deserves to keep the title for as long as possible.

GalacticFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Crap, I came so close to picking this up today (partly because holy crap that cover is gorgeous), will have to get it later, sounds really interesting.

One thing I'm curious about is with all the comics starting "8 months after," how long is this untethered Captain America going to last since he's part of the reformation of the Avengers (with all the children), unless the Avengers is going to start much later than all the others.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

I hope Misty doesn't hook up with Sam. Love Iron Fist and Misty Knight together.

I'm with you, Daniel Rand & Misty Knight forever :)

But part of the essence of they being a couple, is that they are not always a couple :) so maybe Sam & Misty for a short time may be couple [Daniel have another girl in his serie!]...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

But part of the essence of they being a couple, is that they are not always a couple :) so maybe Sam & Misty for a short time may be couple [Daniel have another girl in his serie!]...

Danny was messing around with another woman named Brenda in his last series so it's only fair Misty gets some play too.

No Caption Provided

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin said:

Danny was messing around with another woman named Brenda in his last series so it's only fair Misty gets some play too.

No Caption Provided

Yes, what I'm saying... Daniel have another temporary girlfiend, so is right for Misty doing the same. I think that is part of their being a couple, not being able to be stable [as oppose to the couple "Luke Cage /Jessica Jones"]. So I've no problem with this, since I know that Daniel & Misty will return together soon [and broke... and re-unite... and re-broke...]

Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been pinin' and whinin' for Steve but this was a thought-provoking,funny yet serious issue. And in Uncanny Acengers, Steve is an asshole with terrible art

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great start to the series, really like Sam as Cap.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I was ready to write this off because I know Sam won't be Cap long term, but it was perfect in every way. Really exceeded all expectations. Nick Spencer and Daniel Acuna do it again!

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CurrentThor2015

@edstone1: I also thought that with the last page of this issue when Steve stopped Sam from helping those people.

modsbehating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love falcon as cap

Kid_jakeriv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better than the previous Sam Wilson is Captain America stuff... I got very fearful at the end though that they're gonna make old man Steve Rogers into a jerk keeping Sam from doing the right thing. That's not ok in my book, Steve is above that, he's out of character when he isn't.

If issue 2 doesn't give a good reason for that twist end I'll wait for the rest of this on Marvel Unlimited. Not gonna pay them though for old bastard Steve fan fic, no matter how good the rest of the story is though.

Was anyone else disappointed D Man no looks cool? I like him looking like a hobo superhero, permanent D lister.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better than the previous Sam Wilson is Captain America stuff... I got very fearful at the end though that they're gonna make old man Steve Rogers into a jerk keeping Sam from doing the right thing. That's not ok in my book, Steve is above that, he's out of character when he isn't.

If issue 2 doesn't give a good reason for that twist end I'll wait for the rest of this on Marvel Unlimited. Not gonna pay them though for old bastard Steve fan fic, no matter how good the rest of the story is though. I've too many other new series I'm thinking of reading, so it will save me money for one of them.

Was anyone else disappointed D Man no looks cool? I like him looking like a hobo superhero, permanent D lister.

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it, even if Steve becomes cap again I still wanna read a Sam solo title even with misty in the book. Lately marvel is making Sam Wilson a lot more likeable as a character

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great number 1

Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrkareemruiz: Seriously? And what I'm reading in this day? O_O

Sorry for the sarcasm tone :) Iron Fist had a book till this summer, and as all the others have been closed for the Secret War Events [and in Italy is at it's half]

Iron Fist: Living Weapon

In this book, Iron Fist have a Girlfriend called Brenda [and he barely recall her name]

Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This was a really good first issue. I really like the inclusion of D-man

ianrogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to read this ASAP

King_Chronos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I need to go back and read this again. When I first read it all I was thinking of was how different it was from Ed Brubaker's run. I need to read it as its own comic without attempting to draw comparisons.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idontlikebirds: Any review is bias as it's all about what people like and what they don't. One oppinion is no more or less correct that another.

BIGGGHEADTJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't into this book when it was first announced but Nick Spencer did a very good job on the first issue and I'm definitely getting the 2nd when it comes out

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The subversive politically correct B.S. was pretty disappointing since I was enjoying this immensely up until that point. What a pathetic attempt to vilify certain viewpoints.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

This was good, but damn was it long. At one point, I was like "there's more?"

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@farkam: To be frank, though, it really doesn't take much to vilify a group of racists who assume all immigrants are criminals. That's some straight up Donald Trump-level stupidity.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_stegman  Moderator

I actually found this boring and too wordy.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jdp180

Why shouldn't they hook up? It's not like she is married to Iron Fist. Didn't Misty hook up with Daredevil once?

wrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: And there ya go. Like the writer of this book (and most liberal writers), you're lying about the positions conservatives take. Shame on you - and on Marvel.

Snake_Plissken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

The subversive politically correct B.S. was pretty disappointing since I was enjoying this immensely up until that point. What a pathetic attempt to vilify certain viewpoints.

This. Stopped reading and won't pick it up again. The lefties here are in danger of breaking their arms while patting themselves on the back for how enlightened they are, but I found this way too preachy and condescending. Comics should be about escapist fun but more and more the writers and artists seem more concerned about being 'edgy' and vetted at Democratic hipster cocktail parties.

The pull list shrinks some more but that's ok. Dark Horse and other indies are out there with good art and good stories

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheValiant

@farkam said:

This. Stopped reading and won't pick it up again. The lefties here are in danger of breaking their arms while patting themselves on the back for how enlightened they are, but I found this way too preachy and condescending. Comics should be about escapist fun but more and more the writers and artists seem more concerned about being 'edgy' and vetted at Democratic hipster cocktail parties.

The pull list shrinks some more but that's ok. Dark Horse and other indies are out there with good art and good stories

Sadly... I'm with the Tea-bagger.. err I mean opposing party member ;) here (I'm a card-carrying liberal myself, but political affiliation isn't really the point here...)

Marvel has gone beyond jumping the shark with the PC-Principle, extremely leftist approach to EVERYTHING. I feel inundated by it... Lost in this wanting to "appeal" to more audiences (Gender bending to increase the female readership, race bending to increase minority readership.) is the fact that this is a classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Quesada doesn't shy away from letting us all know how he thinks/feels, the problem is I don't believe a lot of us care what his "opinions" are.

Change for the sake of change is lazy. Why can't they market characters like Captain Marvel (Carol) or Black Panther better (two of my absolute favorite characters)? Why cant new characters be created? Have we lost all ability to create in this medium? I find it insulting that Marvel seems to think that the only draw to these characters is the "hero" ego, whereas marvel was always built on the principle of humanizing the characters. Spider-Man is Peter Parker. The Spider-Man alter-ego is a means to an end. Peter Parker BECOMES Spider-Man. Same with Cap and Steve, Tony and Iron Man, etc.

I've come to terms with the fact that this is just the way we are going in the big-two and that its going to continue this way, regardless of how it hits sales or not. I no longer believe the whole "Let your money talk" nonsense. Remember when Marvel switched Richard to Sam and Quesda's reaction was vote with your wallets? Yeah... so much for that.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate how PC Marvel has become.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may sound a bit weird. But i love cap, but i have 0 interest in reading a heavy handed political cap run. Sigh, but i prefer remender sci fi cap to this.... that's saying alot.

jhonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having read issue 2 now it's a bit more entertaining, and I enjoy the art, flow, storytelling and supporting characters, but holy cow I don't think I can stomach the massive misrepresentation of the immigration debate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.