Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11750 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Is Captain America the Greatest Superhero ever??

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Lion_Heart22

@Rogan2112:

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_France

Leopold von Ranke: "There have been 53 major wars in Europe, France had been a belligerent in 49 of them; UK 43. In 185 battles that France had fought over the past 800 years, their armies had won 132 times, lost 43 times and drawn only 10, giving the French military the best record of any country in Europe".

"France is a nuclear power with the largest nuclear arsenal in Europe, and its nuclear capabilities, just like its conventional forces, have been restructured to rapidly deal with emerging threats.[10]

@tg1982

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the guy who is looked up to throughout all of the world deserves the title of greatest superhero, and that is Superman. I already said that I love 616 Cap, and I did said it was the author's fault on Ultimate Cap's quote about France so I don't see a worthwhile conflict here.

But I do, however, find your jokes distasteful. After all the U.S has spent the latter half of the XX century fighting and invading nations that are not on the U.S.A's league, and even so, they still lost against Vietnam so...

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Rogan2112

As I' said, I've been wrong before. I will gladly read through this A. Because I like learning things (especially about history) that I didn't know before, and B. Because it would be completely unfair for me to expect you to go by the facts I came up with, without looking at yous. However, I do have to stand by my statement. In the issue in question, Captain America was almost certainly referring to the Vicci French (and quite possibly) to what he'd learned about the French military and foriegn policy since he woke up. Which, I think (except for the Free French and the French Resistance, which I believe even you would have to admit was a very small proportion of the French

PS. You're only a third correct about Agincourt. Yes, the English Longbowmen were a major factor, however they would have little effect on the overwhelming heavy cavalry employed by the French. Henry V chose the place of the engagement very carefully, on marshy ground specifically to blunt the effectiveness of a cavalry charge. Third, the English army at that time was the best trained, and equipped military force since the Roman Legions. Agincourt is kind of a hobby of mine.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By tg1982

@Lion_Heart22 said:

They used long range weaponry which was considered dishonorable in a contest amongst nobles and knights. A win is a win, but it's not as black and white as you claim.

Actually it kind of is black and white, just as you said. Being outnumbered by your opponent 4 to 1 and still winning, is a crushing defeat for you opponent. It's not like the English were using rifles, it was longbows and the french had plate armor, arrows are no match for plate armor really, the key to victory was really the terrain and weather which the English used to their advantage which is even more impressive since it was obviously France's home turf.

But I do have nothing but respect for France and with the exception of Agencourt and 2 battles in that link you posted:

Battle1: The battle of Yorktown was won by General Washington, with French help, not the other way around, yes the French contributed greatly to that battle but claiming it as THEIR win is kind of wrong. The French comitted 7,800 men, the Americans had 11,100 soldiers comitted to the battle. I'm not saying we could of done it without the French assistance, in fact we couldn't of, but to say it was their victory with us (Americans) helping is misleading.

And not really a specific battle I'm talking about but from 1991 to present day it lists french victories when the majority of the victories were U.N. and they were only a contingent usually a SMALL contingent of the coalition.

Not holding this against France though just saying some of those battles on the site are misleading.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By FearTheLiving

I think he's America's best super hero or the the best in terms of an ideal super hero. A man who loves his country, from his country (opposed to Superman), and does what ever he can for his country.

Do I like him? Yes, however he's not my favorite.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By tg1982

@Lion_Heart22 said:

@tg1982

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the guy who is looked up to throughout all of the world deserves the title of greatest superhero, and that is Superman. I already said that I love 616 Cap, and I did said it was the author's fault on Ultimate Cap's quote about France so I don't see a worthwhile conflict here.

But I do, however, find your jokes distasteful. After all the U.S has spent the latter half of the XX century fighting and invading nations that are not on the U.S.A's league, and even so, they still lost against Vietnam so...

I agreed with you about Superman being the greatest so I don't see a conflict either.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I don't know what jokes you're talking about, if you could clarify I would appreciate it greatly.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Rogan2112

@Lion_Heart22:

Yes, they do have the largest nuclear arsenal in Europe, I've always been curious why France felt it neccessary to conduct their last above ground nuclear weapons testing (in the Polynesian Islands 1974) when the last NATO nation to do so (the US, in 62, Britain was in 58), had ceased over a decade earlier?

Lion_Heart22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Lion_Heart22

@Rogan2112: Thank you, it's nice to meet a fellow history buff. And true, I think Captain America would certainly not approved of that armistice that Vicci France signed, thus betraying it's people. Even so, Ultimate Cap should've known better and I hold this against the author, not the character.

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about Agencourt so thank you for you information, it's always nice to learn new things, especially about these topics. :)

@tg1982: You've not offended me mate, I just said I found them distasteful. I was talking about that comment you made about France doing good in the French Revolution because they were fighting french, but I don't hold that against you. Thse kind of comments are always made in these threads and it's hard to separate playful jokes from insults, and I imagine you comment was the latter, so no harm done :)

And also, thank you for your clarification on those misleading battles in that link I posted.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By SpidermanWins

@tootyghost said:

Spiderman can kick his butt. All he had to do is web sling the shield off, cover captain america in a web cacoon up to his neck, and throw him in quick sand

This isn't a battle, its who is the greatest as a superhero: as in who personifies the qualities that people should have and should look up to. And yes, I agree Spider-Man may win on that front as well as this one but both are close. Captain America, Batman, and others are also worthy candidates for best superhero (though I think Spidey's the best ;). As for the battle you set up, last time I checked, spider-man doesn't have any magic spider-quicksand spray on hand.

tg1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By tg1982

@Lion_Heart22: Cool, I'm glad I didn't offend, but I didn't make that joke, Rogan2112 did, I just said I thought it was funny. To be fair I also laugh at American jokes to. There was one a Canadian comedian said that was hilarious.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#110  Edited By SpidermanWins

@IKnowEverything said:

Captain America, Spider-Man, Superman, and Batman (And Perhaps Green Lantern and Thor) make up the heart of the superhero world. Each one brings something else to the table. Is Captain America THE BEST to me? No. Spider-man is the hands down winner for me. Do i understand the reasoning behind Cap? Sure. Just as I do with the aforementioned characters. As mentioned above, its opinion mostly; and which character resonates with you

exactly

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Dhor

i know the a character is only as good as the writer but that really made me see the character in a different light. as for Cap being the greatest, not even close. outside the US it's really hard to find someone who knows who he is. Even after the movie people still don`t see him as a "superhero".

The greatest superhero is Superman. he created the genre and he`s the standard that every superhero is majored. I understand that Stan Lee took the sidekick notion and made one of the greatest superheros of our time (Spiderman) but keep in mind that for a sidekick to exist there has to be a hero first. my point is that superman created the elements that have since been recombined countless times to create other superheroes.

Don`t get me wrong if Superman have not been invented there would have been others but the comic industri would have been a lot different (not better or worse JUST different)

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Rogan2112

@Lion_Heart22:

As far as the French winning in the French Revolution because they were fighting the French, I'd have made the same statement about the American Civil War.

Btw...The ORIGINAL version of that list I posted, (which was a cut and paste from another list) there were a lot of anti, or insulting France statements that I intentionally cut out, because my point wasn't to insult, or make fun of France. BTW, Btw, I thought that part in the Ultimates when Ultimate Cap said that, I thought it was bad a$$...sorry, just true.

Regardless, of the distant pass, since WW2, France (in MY studied opinion) has become very isolationist, judgemental, and expects to be treated like a world power whe, like or not, they simply aren't anymore. The PEOPLE of France, are most likely wonderful people, I'm speaking of the French government. A further btw, the primary units that operated in the later theaters and operations in the list you provided was the French Foreign Legion (who btw (again with the btw...I've GOT to find a better term) are world class warriors and figuratively, eat American Rangers for breakfast...which may sound disloyal of me, but facts is facts)...thing is...most of the FFL's officers MAY be French, but I think it says something that France's premier military unit is made up primarily of non Frency nationals.

To be sure, America has its problems, but (well, depending on the administration in charge) we rarely sit on the sidelines and complain about what other countries should or shouldn't do).

Anyway, I VERY much enjoy, chatting/debating with you. You seem a decent sort, mate. ;)

masmason92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By masmason92

I think he is

supermaansito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By supermaansito

superman

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#115  Edited By TDK_1997

No.

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#116  Edited By TheAnnihilator

I consider Captain America the ideal image of a hero and what they all aspire to be, so yes.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By evilvegeta74

He may not be the greatest, but he's the one hero that could inspire even Superman. Cap has inspired the Marvel universe and some of the villians at times, he could do the same in Dc and has in crossovers. That would make me say he's the most inspirational hero ever!

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Mutant X

One of the things I love about Captain America is that he's pretty much a normal guy [besides the super strength and all], but he's still looked upon as the leader of extremely powerful beings and gods. These characters look to Cap to lead them because they know that he's the best at what he does, and they all have a profound respect for Cap. I could go on and on all day about why Captain America is such an amazing character, but for the sake of time, I won't. Is Cap the greatest superhero ever? That's all a matter of opinion. But like other users have said above, he's definitely one of the greatest, no argument.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#119  Edited By daredevil21134

Pre 52 Barry Allen is imo.But I love Captain America

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Primmaster64

No. Superman is, followed by Batman and Spiderman.

Avatar image for mego_stretch_hulk
    Mego_Stretch_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap the best because he has to be!!

Scioli54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#122  Edited By Scioli54

Definitely the best.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#123  Edited By x_29

That would be Superman

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By SandMan_
    @x_29 said:

That would be Superman

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#125  Edited By TDK_1997

No but one of the best.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#126  Edited By Lvenger

@SandMan_ said:

@x_29 said:

That would be Superman

Co signed.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#127  Edited By TheCannon

No. He's up there though.

Mego_Stretch_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he is there!!

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mego_Stretch_Hulk said:

No, he is there!!

hardly,

is he powerful? No, he's only peak human

Can you relate to him? No. He is a man out of time, no ones been there

Does he have a wicked batman or iron man level of coolness armor? No, he has wings and fish scales

Does he have a funny personality? No, I've never once heard him say a wise crack in the comics

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ratman19

@samuel_larson_10: i think most people read comics for the coolness of the charecter or story not for relatability.

samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ratman19 said:

@samuel_larson_10: i think most people read comics for the coolness of the charecter or story not for relatability.

yes but that is part of what makes a good hero. you can have a good hero without that but cap is also lacking in other areas

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Alexander505

No.

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By ValendianKnight

He is definitely my favorite from Marvel, but takes a back seat to Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Flash to me.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#134  Edited By jhazzroucher

for me , it's Ororo Munroe aka Storm

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#135  Edited By darktiger

@silverman201 said:

No but he is one of the best.
    ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By ratman19

superman is the best hes the first without him comic books wouldnt be what they are today.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By ratman19

@Hoboseid: those werent superheroes, the word superhero didnt come until superman came. without him those "gritty" heroes you enjoy today wouldnt be the way that they would if superman never was created. Many people still like superman and hes not really out of time if you actually read his comics.

samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

another thing I would like to add to this thread, patriotism is a high value and is important, but it is not THE highest value, otherwise you have no right to criticize a nazi.

Mego_Stretch_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap still rules!!!

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Bo88gdan

Yes ! 

Dbogan67theman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America is the most iconic superhero of all time.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Well he is one of the top for sure, but I wouldn't say THE top IMO anyway. Though I definitely feel like he is billed as Marvel's Golden boy like Supes is for DC. Moral compass, Boy Scout and what not.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, sure.

On an objective basis? I wouldn't go so far as to call him 'the greatest superhero ever'. Because we all know that's Batman. It's always Batman. Batman. Batman.

Avatar image for captainamerica119
    Captainamerica119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

F*** yes. Besides him and the Invaders, I can't name another superhero who fought Nazis in WW2

johnnyblaze321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me he is.

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthtravis:

I think Hulk and Iron Man beat out Green Lantern in sales. But if we are going by sales you would first have to go through all weekly and daily news paper comics, in which case Garfield would top all five of those. but by what makes a hero, Cap is the best.

crazy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainamerica119:

cap is the greatest. but your forgetting superman fought Nazis too. in fact Captain America and superman were fighting Nazis before America entered WW2. but batman and wonder woman were kicking Nazis butt later in the war also.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the americans, yes, probably, but not for the rest of the world.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By CheeseSticks

He's not even top 5

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not my favorite, but as a character there's no one better at being a superhero (except Spidey)!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.