Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11751 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

How Will Captain America Look in the Movie?

• 83 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

That granite back-drop really makes this look like a vanity photo from a mall photographer.
     That granite back-drop really makes this look like a vanity photo from a mall photographer.

Out of all of Marvel’s major characters, I figure Captain America has the trickiest costume to pull off on screen. All you’ve got to do for Spidey is cut his outfit from an odd material to make it work and Iron Man’s suit actually looks cooler in real life, but Cap… well, there’s been a history of misfires with him, hasn’t there? Either the cowl fits weirdly (like in the 40’s serials) or there’s a silly motorcycle helmet (like in the 70s TV movies) or there are weird rubber ears  (like in the direct-to-video 90s flick.) The wings, rodeo gloves and pirate boots look great on the page, but less so in real life, as many a convention-going cosplayer will evidence.

I bring this all up because there’s a scoop that’s been making the rounds regarding Cap’s costume for the upcoming movie - - the one Chris Evans will be wearing. The dudes at Joblo got a set visit and, while they weren’t able to post any pictures, they did put up a detailed description which you can read below.

A fan put together a visualization of that description, which you can see above.  It’s supposed to be the “real” costume, while there will be a gaudier, more comics-true outfit Cap will be wearing for his USO appearances.
     == TEASER ==

I don’t know - - I personally think it would’ve been easiest to go with the redesigns Bryan Hitch did for ULTIMATES.  Both suits were able to balance the signature Cap design elements with practical concerns and still look pretty badass. The World War II-era army fatigues version is actually one of my favorite costumes anywhere. And I still think they’re going to use the stenciled wings from Hitch’s other redesign for the 616-Universe Cap in REBORN.  Hell, just have Hitch redesign everything.

The trademark wings that flank the side of Cap's hood are gone. In fact the "hood" is gone entirely. In its place is a more traditional M1 Army helmet though this helmet does come over the eyes to give Cap a traditional "domino mask" look. Still present is the white "A" in the middle of the hat (nothing fancy, this is the traditional font), though like the rest of the costume, the blue of the helmet is much more muted than the blue in the comic costume. A thick black strap comes down over the ears and connects under the chin.

Cap is wearing a blue neck piece but from what I saw, it's hard to tell if this is connected to something under the helmet or whether it's something like a turtleneck (I'm gonna guess the latter). 

On his chest still lies the white star though it's not as prominent as the comic version. The costume is still split horizontally through the middle with blue on top and red and white stripes on the bottom. But instead of stripes, it's actually just a white base with two red utility straps acting as stripes. These straps affix to a metal loop at the midpoint of the chest and a black strap extends up to the shoulders from that point.

His shoulders have pads over them that extend down to about mid-bicep and are attached via a brown strap under the arm. The sleeves (for lack of a better word) are white with a fairly standard brown glove.

The fabric of the costume doesn't look like the scaled material of SPIDER-MAN but more of a leather fabric, like something you'd see on one of the X-MEN. Cap wears an old school utility belt, the likes of which we haven't seen much in modern superhero movies. Utility belts were a staple of comic superheroes but haven't made the transition but here Cap sports a rather thick belt made up of brown pockets with a silver buckle.

As you might expect, there's no codpiece to be found and Cap is wearing blue pants tucked into brown utility boots. The pants aren't skin tight but they aren't baggy either. And for those who are curious, the pants actually have a fly so Cap can take a leak if he needs to.

I’m sure you Comic Vine maniacs have your ideas about how the costume should look. Sound off! 

UPDATE: AICN's come across real concept art from the movies. It looks pretty close to the fan visualizations, actually, and the poses seem taken straight from iconic images from the comics. I like it for the most part, although it looks a little too high-tech for 40s. But they need the stencil wing decals! The helmet needs a balancing element.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

My favorite one: 

And this one too: 

Muwahaha!

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By leokearon

It is interesting but I prefer when Cap doesn't look like a soldier
    ILuvMsMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ILuvMsMarvel

From the description and the image, it sounds pretty good. Though will have to wait to see actual photographs to know for sure.

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Theodore

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

" That granite back-drop really makes this look like a vanity photo from a mall photographer."

that 's great.

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Moomin123

I actually didn't mind what Cap looked like in the 1990s film. I know the film in general was a disaster but the costume was somewhat loyal to the original. I want this suit to look like that.
    Jabor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jabor

Ultimate version is the best choise.... 
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By DH69

since its a period piece movie i can dig it, but  i hope the cowl returns for the avengers,

yescas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By yescas
    @Jabor:  I second you, Ultimate is one of the best choices. Both during WWII and on Ultimates
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Namor1987
    @Jordanstine:  1st costume or the one they have pictured that's innovative & kinda logical
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Nyogtha

Not digging the Mighty Ducks style shoulder pads but I bet it'll look better when it's not a horrible digital painting project. I like the rest though.

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ironshadow
    @Jordanstine said:
    "

My favorite one: 

And this one too: 

Muwahaha!

"
    Both of these are great, the first one looks like an armor but the wings look stupid and the ears on  the outside don't work.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Magian

It doesn't look bad, just some improvement.
    MemnochZERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MemnochZERO

Dude, the Ultimate WWII costume is my favorite costume I've ever seen Cap wear. This is followed closely by the Ultimates 2 costume. Bryan Hitch is a master of designing costumes. Don't even get me started on how much I love Ultimate Giant Man. From the discription it doesn't sound like total failsauce. I like the idea of working in soldier type elements as well as armor. He is going into a war zone after all. ;) 
    Wonder what he'll look like in The Avengers, though.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By goldenkey
    @Jabor said:
    "Ultimate version is the best choise....  "

I agree totally.  It gets rid of pansy pirate boots and pirat gloves and gives him that icon american symbol look that he say his suit represents and still keeps it military style.  I wouldn't mind Ultimate Cap mask with or without chin straps.  Maybe strapped for the Cap movie and a pull over mask for Avenger to give him more of the hero look. 
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By goldenkey
    @Jordanstine said:
    "

My favorite one: 

And this one too: 

Muwahaha!

"

the bottom pic doesn't look bad if you tweak it a little.  simplify the letter A, and get rid of the wings all together.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

the description doesn't sound anything like the picture looks though...I think someone around here should give it another try and actually pay attention to the description

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    This is my ideas for the costume.  The black and white sketch is his USO theatrical costume, the colored one is the costume modified from the USO version to be combat ready.

The USO costume: The chainmail is meant to be like bird feathers (like an eagle) but they are made out of a light material. Something like plastic, a light rubber maybe, or even a slightly hard fabric. Not protective, but not meant to. The plastic chainmail (think guitar picks)
     goes all around, even under his armpits. Again, these are individual scales.
    His mask is a light material, no reinforced protectiong or molded eyebrow ridges yet. This is something Steve slips on and off with ease. The wings on his mask are made of plastic and stand out, because its the Theater!
    His costume is meant to be seen by troops way up in the bleachers.
    Thats why his costume is big and bright and shiny. But it should also look inspiring so not cheap or stupid, far from it.
    The red stripes are part of the fabric of his shirt, and are bigger than the straps we see later. His gloves and boots are more like a circus performer or stunt man, but again its for the troops.
    He has a regular black belt.
    His shield isn't flimsy, its real.
    So... hope you like it. 

So my thinking is, why would he change his costume that he is known for so much? My thinking is he mearly alters it somewhat for combat. So we could get a movie costume very true to the comic version.
     His mask would be a reinforced helmet, with molded forhead and eyebrow ridge (giving his eyebrows a more heroic look too).
    His wings on his mask would not be wings that stick out, but they would not just be painted on. They would be like patches, or relief,where they are somewhat 3D, but not completely. That would include the wings without making them too out there for some viewers I think.
    In his WWII costume, the one he wears in the first film based on the Kirby USO show costume, his neck is exposed. But his collar could look something like this. The WWII helmet would strap on under his chin like one of the Ultimate versions. (when Cap is revived in modern times his neck area would no longer be exposed.) The helmet/neck/chain mail would all be different material. The helmet would be somewhat like Batman's in Dark Knight, somewhat. The neck would be a lighter cloth material, while the chain mail would be thicker armor. The chain mail would start at his shoulder area sort of. 
     The armpit areas would not have the chain mail plating, like the Ultimate version of Cap, in order to allow more comfort and move ability during combat. But unlike the Ultimate version, the armpit area would be blue. Made of the same material as his pants and collar/neck area on his costume.
    His gloves and boots would have straps and buckles to keep them in place. His boots would fold over the straps and buckles to look like the pirate boots. (Or they could do the Hitch idea and have the red material over his combat boots.)
    His belt would have pouches.
    So his costume would have a few layers, the white shirt/blue costume/chain mail, which would help the look be visually interesting for the movie.
    For the chain mail I would use John Cassaday's design, for the molded eyebrow mask too 
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vortex13

I actually like the image shown I do not believe it is a bad rendition. Obviously it is different from the comic but I wasn't really expecting the comic look and I do like this take on his costume.

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
    dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dementedtheclown

No Wings? Thats Almost Like Having A Black Spiderman.

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OFFICIAL CONCEPTS NOW ONLINE!!!!! GREETINGS GUYS FROM AICN 
    THEY GOT IT AND SHARED WITH THEIR RUSSIAN FRIENDLY SITE
     http://starkindustries.ru/news/chetyre_oficialnykh_koncepta_kapitana_ameriki/2010-06-02-1713#comments

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lastdrag0n89

Here is the actual concept art  for the Costume 

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Danhimself has posted true concepts! They look cool, but still... I would never say that the suit was built in the time of the World War 2

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danhimself
    @Emerald Dragonfly said:
    " Danhimself has posted true concepts! They look cool, but still... I would never say that the suit was built in the time of the World War 2 "
    agreed some of the materials look to new
    Overguardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Overguardian
    @Emerald Dragonfly: Exactly my problem with it. Way too techy. If that were his modern costume, great, but as a WW2 era suit this doesn't fit at all
    lastdrag0n89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lastdrag0n89
    @danhimself:
    man you beat me to it. Man my cpu is tooo slow
    kaanonm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kaanonm
    @leokearon said:
    " It is interesting but I prefer when Cap doesn't look like a soldier "
    He's the original Super Soldier, though.
    BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

If those cocepts that danhimself posted are actually what the costume will look like then i am ALL for it. I like it alot.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bruce Vain

Honestly , those rubber ears weren't really that freaking noticeable unless you point it out & even THEN you really can't tell. I never knew about it or noticed it until I read it in a Wizard magazine a couple years ago. So that's really not a big deal. For me that costume looked great as well as the shield & Matt Salinger's performance as Cap.  

After reading the description of the suit I'm not crazy about how it might look like. I mean Spider-Man, Iron Man & now Thor have stayed true to their comic book costumes. Cap's costume isn't as outlandish like the X-Men's with bright yellow for Wolverine. I don't see why they can't just make it look like the Marvel Knight's Captain America John Cassiday look or the Alex Ross look. With they both have that scales on the upper body. 

I have a feeling this movie is gonna bomb. Usually my gut instincts are always right.

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ironshadow
    @BiteMe-Fanboy said:
    " If those cocepts that danhimself posted are actually what the costume will look like then i am ALL for it. I like it alot. "
    Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#31  Edited By TwilightThunder

Lemme say that those four pictures look rad.  I'm a big fan of the Ultimate look, but this approach is eye-pleasing. But that's just me.

lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

#32  Edited By lostlantern13

Agreed, Tom. The helmet needs stenciled wings to balance it out. It just looks like a blue skin cap or something.
    Prizm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Prizm

it looks so pretty.
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jordanstine

I wish the STAR on his chest was a little bigger. It reminds me of Superman's little "S" in Superman Returns.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#35  Edited By DMC

hmmm....I agree that the suit does look a bit to techy for the 40's and they do need the wings.
    My problem is why is the "A" so small?

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#36  Edited By HaloKing343

I like it. I prefer this to the comic version actually.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

If these were leaked or let out, its possible these are unused concepts.  Maybe the real ones are close to this, but I am not sure the studio would leak what Cap will look like in the movie just yet, and probably not in this way.
    They tend to keep these things secret till the movie comes out.

Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Blindside002

I actually REALLY like both of these concept arts. The one that I assume will be the present day uniform used after he gets frozen looks AWESOME!
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bruce Vain

on the new update of the images - it's not terrible but it's not great either. The black straps should just be blue to blend in with the suit, the star needs to be bigger reminds me of the S in Superman Returns & it needs it's wings on the helmet. But not the stenciled ones the ones that stick out . If this was to be the suit I wouldn't be terribly upset but I wouldn't  be thrilled either.

I still prefer the 616 Cap suit.
    BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By BaronVonDredd

Vedi, vedi interesting. Hopefully, Mr. Evans will pull off zee performance on-screen. <:I

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

All I want to known is,

WHERE IS THE ORIGINAL SHIELD?

not the round one, but the one you even see him use in WWII in the beginning of The Ultimates.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMess1428

The concept art looks better than the picture made up of the description. But I think they should have just had two costumes. Would have been really simple. He's going to be in TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ERAS. Two fashion styles. He could have the soldier one in the World War II scenes but he should definitely get a costume redesign after the Avengers recover him from ice (or whatever story they use).

spiderguylll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By spiderguylll

OMG Best costume ever after Bucky Cap

MilosRadmilac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MilosRadmilac

I think this is great! First Avenger: Capitain America is going to be WWII centered so this is great solution....

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

I was actually hoping that would be his first costume it just seems to fit a war better

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By Namor1987
    @lastdrag0n89 said:

"Here is the actual concept art  for the Costume 

"

God**** that's ill
    Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aronmorales
    @TheMess1428 said:
    " The concept art looks better than the picture made up of the description. But I think they should have just had two costumes. Would have been really simple. He's going to be in TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ERAS. Two fashion styles. He could have the soldier one in the World War II scenes but he should definitely get a costume redesign after the Avengers recover him from ice (or whatever story they use). "
    Agreed.
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @leokearon:  Really? I'd prefer him looking more like a solider ha ha

i dig this! From what the director has said, it seems this will be his costume toword the end maybe. Cuz it sounds like hes in more the comic traditional costume for all the press stuff and when he actually leaves and goes into war his costume changes as he adds armor to it and such. So we will prob see a few different costumes in this, plus the more modern look when he goes to the avengers movie
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DH69

1. im gonna laugh my ass off when captain american is released, and the following words are heard "captain america, is the number one movie in canada" in tv spots
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ARMIV

That looks great,but the only thing that I don't dig are the red straps. I think it would've looked better had the just stuck to the stripes.

Oh well,since this takes place mostly during WWII,maybe they'll add 'em on for the Avengers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.