Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11752 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

How the latest trailer plays in the UK!

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CptPanda29

Most Americans know the rest of the world kinda doesn't like them. One trait of the British is to talk sh*t about everyone, all the time, just for fun. We don't really hate everything and we don't mean anything by whatever we say.

So hearing that Europe is dropping the "Captain America" part of the title I thought it was a joke - I don't even care much for the character, but the vast majority of summer action has more table thumping patriotic values than some ridiculous stereotype. Now having seen it in front of Transformers 3 (it's pretty cool, robots fight in it), I thought I should tell you all how it is at least in the one country that'll be seen hanging out with you in public.

1. It's still called Captain America.

2. "Heroes are made in America" was dropped. Maybe that was too much of a finger to the rest of the world...

3. Instead we got more clips of action, looks like what the Commandos were on zip lines to was some kind of dinner party.

4. Got some action shots of other Commandos, Dugan looks cool shooting those Nazis.

5. Found most of the audience thought the grenade scene was ridiculous.

There's a few things I noticed, will probably spot more but they'll be VERY minor. But if you'd like to pause and analyse frames of a few seconds of extra footage by all means - you might find something awesome.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By Dracade102

Sounds like an epic win.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CptPanda29

@Dracade102: OH INTERNET...

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vortex13

I thought the grenade thing was kind of ridiculous too, so I'm not so sure that's a cultural thing lol.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CptPanda29

@Vortex13: I would have thought that invalidated him from the program, he doesn't value his own life enough - would never let that man be the nations most valuable asset...

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vortex13
    @cptpanda29 said:

@Vortex13: I would have thought that invalidated him from the program, he doesn't value his own life enough - would never let that man be the nations most valuable asset...

It isn't that he doesn't value his life it's that he value's other people lives more. Which in battle is an admirable quality I would imagine. He'd be the guy who runs into a battle field with a hail of enemy fire coming at him to save someone stranded wounded in the middle. That'd be a good quality to look for. I found it ridiculous because it was so cheesy.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    I'm glad they dropped the "Heroes are made in America" line, if anything was cheesy, that would be the culprit, I mean cars are made in America too, doesn't mean there the best
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By TheCrowbar

"Heroes are made in America,"

I like my cheese... American.

Actually it's the scientist guy that tests the kind of person he is isn't it?

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CptPanda29

It gets you ignored when looking to promote, I can't remember the official name of it but it's something like Hero Syndome - granted Steve wants to give everything he has for the war effort, but you shouldn't give your life that easily.

labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By labarith

Uh... utilitarian calculation, making the tough choices, etc. is not immoral. 

It may be atypical - but there are quite a lot of monsters in the world.  Many of whom like to think that they're not monsters.  Just everyday folks going about their business - it's not their fault that they stand idly by while people get carted away to god knows where... 

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @cptpanda29 said:

It gets you ignored when looking to promote, I can't remember the official name of it but it's something like Hero Syndome - granted Steve wants to give everything he has for the war effort, but you shouldn't give your life that easily.

When he's solely being tested by the military, but I really think the scientist that made the steroids...err "serum" took a shining to Steve early one.
    CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptPanda29

@TheCrowbar: Yeah I know, I'm not saying that I wouldn't have let Steve be Cap or anything like that - I'm saying that Tommy Lee Jones' character would have way more beef with him.

Whatever though, main thing was that it's still branded as Captain America at least in the UK.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Timandm
    @cptpanda29

Most Americans know the rest of the world kinda doesn't like them.
     WhuuuuaaaAATT?  The rest of the world doesn't like us?  But... But what did The United States ever to to the rest of the world?

Oh... I get it... The rest of the world is still pissed off at us for the movie, "The Horse Whisperer" aren't they?  What could we do?  I mean, it was Robert Redford!!!  If Robert Redford wants to make a movie, you LET him!

Or is this because we PERFECTED the English Language?  Yes, we're very proud that we've established that a double t (tt) in the middle of words makes a HARD D sound...
    - Better is pronounced BEDDER
    - Butter is pronounced BUDDER
    - Bottle is pronounced BODDLE

OH!!! I know what it is!!!  The rest of the world is just jealous of OUR BEER!  American Beer is the BEST in the world and rest of  you are just jealous...
    Why, an average person could probably drink a whole case of American Beer without getting drunk.  Shoot, they'd hardly catch a buzz.  But that dark, thick, tasty English, Irish, and German stuff....MAN, one or two of those and I shouldn't even LOOK at a car let alone attempt to drive one!
     Look, it's an easy problem for the rest of the world to solve.  If you REALLY want your beer to taste like ours, just add some WATER to it... LOTS of water... GEEZE!

1. It's still called Captain America.

Well, duh... With that Accent of his, Captain Britain would NEVER have worked...   And Lieutenant America wouldn't work because it just sounds stupid...

2. "Heroes are made in America" was dropped. Maybe that was too much of a finger to the rest of the world...

What's wrong with that?!  Of COURSE heroes are made in America.  Where ELSE would they be made?  Think on it!  Can you name ONE hero that came from ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD?  EVER?
    - William Wallace doesn't count!  (He belongs to the U.S.A  now.  Because of the movie Braveheart and all...)
    - Robert Roy Macgregor doesn't count for the same reason.
    - David Beckham lives in the U.S.now, so....
    - Charles Darwin doesn't count either... Because...um.. he WOULD have been American if the U.S. had been invented back then...  
    - James Cook?  Oh sure, he might have sailed the world, discovered a lot of places, mapped them out and what not... but the Hawaiians ate his liver and took his mana...Soooo...
    - ISAAC NEWTON?  Oh COME ON!!!!  He's the reason I had to take physics back in college!  Like creating word problems makes  you a hero!
    - Charles Babbage?   Father of the computer?  So what, Al Gore invented the internet!
    - Afred The Great?  Get serious!  So, he defended England from some viking invaders... How difficult could that have been?  The vikings didn't even have computers yet!
    - Michael Farraday?  As if ANYBODY else couldn't have discovered Electromagnetic Induction or synthesized Benzene.
    - Marco Polo?  Oh, like hiking around the world on a permanent vacation is a challenge.
    - Confucious?  I bet his English was atrocious!  I hear he wrote NOTHING in English... Now if THAT doesn't tell you all you need to know about the man...
    - Leonardo Da Vinci?  Sure, he was great in "Titanic" but it wasn't that difficult a role to play.
    - Leonidas of Sparta?  Oh SURE, he and his men held off the Persians and allowed his country to survive and eventually defeat the Persians, which of course eventually led to the spread of democracy all over the world but... um... I"m not really making my point am I?  I'd better just move on...

4.Got some action shots of other Commandos, Dugan looks cool shooting those Nazis.

Everyone looks cool shooting nazis...

5. Found most of the audience thought the grenade scene was ridiculous.

Well, yeah, instead of jumping on the grenade the logical thing to do would be to pick someone else up and throw THEM on the grenade...  You don't look as heroic but you live longer...

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By Timandm
    @Vortex13 said:
    @cptpanda29 said:

It isn't that he doesn't value his life it's that he value's other people lives more. Which in battle is an admirable quality I would imagine. He'd be the guy who runs into a battle field with a hail of enemy fire coming at him to save someone stranded wounded in the middle. That'd be a good quality to look for. I found it ridiculous because it was so cheesy.
    Maybe the thing that others find silly, is that EVERYONE ELSE is actually just running away.... Not ONE of them besides Steve has the moral fiber or intestinal fortitude to throw himself on a grenade?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.