Follow

Captain America: Civil War

Movie » Captain America: Civil War released on May 06, 2016.

When the government sets up a governing body to oversee the Avengers, the team splinters into two camps—one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.

the most disappointing thing about Civil War..

• 71 results
    laidblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By laidblack

For me, it's the fact that Tony almost immediately breaks the Accords when it suited him. Really made all the discussions pointless to me.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ashrym said:

@thor_parker82: I did say yet and winked. This is nothing between you and me. It's just obvious your not objective and I don't think insulting my knowledge accomplishes anything for your argument.

Nope, mommy_is_martha is going to every single Civil War related thread to talk sh*t about it, that´s why I called him out, if you noticed, I didn´t call out any other person saying they didn´t like the movie, that´s ok, but going out of your way to talk sh*t about a movie is not, and I did not insult your knowledge.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefemalebat said:

"You guys seen that really old movie? The Empire Strikes Back?"

They nailed his wit.

This is not something that Spider-Man would ever say, Spider-Man is not a teenybopper.

The Empire Strikes Back is not "latest fashion in clothes and pop music."

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt for both sides. Especially Tony's towards the end maybe a bit more.

TheIronLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny when someone says something bad about MCU movies, people immediately call them butthurt DC fanboys. While the truth is, those people are butthurt marvel fanboys.

Fox movies get hated lately.. DC gets hated, the same with pre-mcu marvel movies. But when someone has a complaint about mcu, people are in shock.

I hate to break it to the fanboys, but those movies have flaws, too. Just as many as the rest.

Lejon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny when someone says something bad about MCU movies, people immediately call them butthurt DC fanboys. While the truth is, those people are butthurt marvel fanboys.

Fox movies get hated lately.. DC gets hated, the same with pre-mcu marvel movies. But when someone has a complaint about mcu, people are in shock.

I hate to break it to the fanboys, but those movies have flaws, too. Just as many as the rest.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By thefemalebat

@thor_parker82 said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:

The movie.

Translation: I am angry that this movie is demoslishing BvS

Wow you're moronic.

Before you call Thor_Parker82 moronic, why don't you make an effort to explain why the movie disappointed you. I am listening.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RedLantern2814

@bluejay4: Question: What change would you have made to not make Tony's side seem right? I ask because in any moral conflict, one side is always the one more morally right therefore the one who gets praise, so I am curious what change you would make to overcome this hurdle.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By silent_bomber

@thefemalebat said:
    @silent_bomber said:

This is not something that Spider-Man would ever say, Spider-Man is not a teenybopper.

Exactly, which is why a teenybopper would refer to it as some "really old movie".

A nerd is not going to question whether people have heard of The Empire Strikes Back, or refer to it as a "really old movie".

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Redatom1234

I loved the movie but when I saw it again I realised the flaws. For starters, you're right, I know they haven't got time for this but it would have been a little cooler as 2 movies

Secondly, spidey was a little forced in there, I liked his scenes, hated his voice, but he was still a highlight.

Zemos end should have been...BETTER. Like, I'm not expecting a big boss battle but when he told Panther his sob story at the end, I felt like there was an ending missing to the movie. Like there wasn't a lot to remember it by.

Cap. He was my favourite MCU character esp after WS but his original reason for going against the accords was a little weak until the writers decided to justify it by making Tony look like a bad guy halfway through.

Tony has a ****** suit in a helicopter.....not the craziest thing but GOTT-DAMN that was awesome...

I liked the secret kept from tony at the end of the movie, pretty emotional, and made me feel sympathy for him, although.. When did cap know about this? And how?

And last but not least.. Why Do that to the other winter soldiers? It just Erm...felt a little pointless. Like someone else said, cap, Bucky and Tchalla vs the winter soldiers would have been epic.

But I liked the movie. And I really really liked batman vs superman. Call me a nit picky fanboy or what, Idc you can kiss my ass ?

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@petey_is_spidey said:
    @thor_parker82 said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:

The movie.

Wow you're moronic.

Before you call Thor_Parker82 moronic, why don't you make an effort to explain why the movie disappointed you. I am listening.

The movie wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Plain and simple. How that translates into "I am angry that this movie is demolishing BvS" is beyond me.

thefemalebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefemalebat said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:
    @thor_parker82 said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:

The movie.

Wow you're moronic.

The movie wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Plain and simple. How that translates into "I am angry that this movie is demolishing BvS" is beyond me.

Why wasn't it as good as you thought it would be?

Give me something to work with.

Firedude17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie was great, except with a somewhat incomplete resolution of the conflict.A cameo of Daredevil or Punisher would be nice too. 8/10, solid movie, seen twice in theatres.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@thefemalebat said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:
    @thefemalebat said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:
    @thor_parker82 said:
    @petey_is_spidey said:

The movie.

Wow you're moronic.

Why wasn't it as good as you thought it would be?

Give me something to work with.

Felt too much like an action flick.

Plot wasn't as focused as WS, nor was the narrative as tight.

The reason for the conflict were just unbelievable, ESPECIALLY on Cap's side. The conflict as a whole actually kind of felt pointless. I mean what was the point of putting the Avengers in jail if you were going to have them immediately released???

Stakes weren't as big as they could have been/should have been.

They only just grazed over the Sokovia accords after about 30 minutes. It honestly didn't need to be in this film at all. It could have been something instrumental and of importance to the universe, but I have a feeling they might forget about the whole thing. Also, instead of choosing's Captain's side because of his ideals and his viewpoint, the Avengers who were on Captain's side were there purely because they like him.

Lastly, the poor jokes at times took away from the tension that the film was building up to.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Felt too much like an action flick.

Probably because it is an action flick.

Plot wasn't as focused as WS, nor was the narrative as tight.

WS is one of the best Marvel films to date, either my personal first or second favorite depending on my mood. One of the many other Marvel films not measuring up to one of it's best isn't a legitimate failing of the film. It can be excellent even without being exactly on par with WS.

The reason for the conflict were just unbelievable, ESPECIALLY on Cap's side. The conflict as a whole actually kind of felt pointless. I mean what was the point of putting the Avengers in jail if you were going to have them immediately released???

Except they didn't release them. Steve was in fact going to sign and work with Tony until he heard about how they were treating Wanda, when she hadn't even said 'no' explicitly, she was merely on the fence about it and they had her on house arrest, and what they were going to do to Bucky, no trial and no lawyer come on even the worst of war criminals have gotten at least that much. The conflict had a point, it just apparently went over your head.

Stakes weren't as big as they could have been/should have been.

.........and? So by that logic I should never play a game that isn't Russian Roulette because the stakes aren't high enough.

They only just grazed over the Sokovia accords after about 30 minutes. It honestly didn't need to be in this film at all. It could have been something instrumental and of importance to the universe, but I have a feeling they might forget about the whole thing. Also, instead of choosing's Captain's side because of his ideals and his viewpoint, the Avengers who were on Captain's side were there purely because they like him.

Only grazed? It was the entire reason the fight started. Lol at it didn't even need to be there. Ok how about this.

Iron Man: "You have perfect teeth Steve!" *proceeds to attempt to ruin said perfect teeth via repulsor blasts*

Wow, much better, such amazement.

Except it was important and instrumental. I sincerely doubt Tony is going to forget the beat down Bucky and Steve gave him, nor the fact that Rhodey is now a paraplegic. Nor the fact that Steve just broke in to a max security supper-secret super-prison to rescue his friends at the end of the film.

Wanda agreed with Steve, she changed her mind after they placed her on house arrest. Clint agreed because he saw how they were treating Wanda. Widow changed sides partway through. Falcon's moral compass pretty much always aligns with Steve's so of course he's going to side with him, that's also why they are such close friends. Bucky sided with him because the people that Iron Man was answering to wanted to execute him with no trial and no representation whatsoever.

Ant Man.....yeah he's there for his won reasons and the film didn't thoroughly explain them but he went in knowing full well what the situation was and what the other side was supporting. That and he'd never met Steve before that morning, you have literally no grounds to say that he sided with Team Cap just because he likes Steve.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashrym said:

@paragonnate:

Ant Man.....yeah he's there for his won reasons and the film didn't thoroughly explain them but he went in knowing full well what the situation was and what the other side was supporting. That and he'd never met Steve before that morning, you have literally no grounds to say that he sided with Team Cap just because he likes Steve.

You mean other than the star-struck I'm shaking your hand too much? There wasn't really a reason for Ant-man to join team Cap other than they invited him. He had no experience with SHIELD or relevant history with anyone other than a brief fight with Falcon and bad opinions fed to him about Tony Stark. He was just invited along to fill ranks and decided to join based on the invitation, much like Spider-man was for team Iron Man.

I don't think it even boded well for the story that both teams were filling ranks just to fill ranks by including Spiderman and Ant-man. Including them was nice, but reasons for selecting people whom they barely knew or did not know at all and the reasons for accepting their respective teams were lacking. Enjoyable film, overall, but not an epic work of greatness.

MCU movies seems to force character change to advance plot. Phil Coulson and SHIELD's change in attitude in the first Thor movie was another blatant example from earlier in the MCU that really stood out for me, or Hulk's sudden willingness to help the Avengers in the first Avengers movie when Banner came back to suit up. As much as I enjoyed GotG, it was the nostalgia from the soundtrack that created more of an emotional connection to the film than anything else and it had a lot of flaws too (great use of humor that kept it as a favorite for me).

I don't get why people seem to get so upset as soon as there's some criticism towards MCU movies. They are just as flawed as other movies out there.

In hindsight, I was questioning my own post a few moments after I posted, at least that particular bit. With further thought yeah you're right he joined pretty much because he was a fan of Cap, but everyone else had their reasons and didn't join merely cause they liked him.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

@paragonnate:

Probably because it is an action flick.

The set pieces were a few too many an felt too dragged on at certain instances. They could have used that time to further develop the plot.

WS is one of the best Marvel films to date, either my personal first or second favorite depending on my mood. One of the many other Marvel films not measuring up to one of it's best isn't a legitimate failing of the film. It can be excellent even without being exactly on par with WS.

This thread is about my disappointment with the movie. I'm hearing all this buzz about how it far outclasses Winter Soldier and is even better than Dark Knight, and honestly, I expected it to be.

However, when it was not, it disappointed me. I never said it was bad, just that it could have been better.

Except they didn't release them. Steve was in fact going to sign and work with Tony until he heard about how they were treating Wanda, when she hadn't even said 'no' explicitly, she was merely on the fence about it and they had her on house arrest, and what they were going to do to Bucky, no trial and no lawyer come on even the worst of war criminals have gotten at least that much. The conflict had a point, it just apparently went over your head.

Steve did break the imprisoned Avengers out of jail. The movie had almost no ramifications (except for Rhodey, who I really feel bad for). Tony and Cap seem to be back on the same page, and based off of upcoming films AND the ending of Civil War, the Avengers will be free and no longer criminals. I admit, this is pure speculation on my part, but everything that happened towards the end of the film, along with future events in the MCU seems to point to that. I HIGHLY doubt the guys at Marvel are going to keep half the Avengers in jail.

The conflict was not because of the Sokovia accords. Do you really believe Tony and gang fought Cap and gang because Cap wouldn't sign it? What was he going to do when he defeated and captured him? Force him to?

The conflict was over the fact that Steve was harboring a fugitive. You could have removed the Sokovia accords from the film, still have a terrorist attack from Zemo, and the film would be the same, - Black Panther.

Steve was harboring a fugitive, who, to his knowledge, killed a few dozen people, and he doesn't expect Tony to be a little upset? For God's sake, if Cap would have just sat down with Tony and explained the entire situation, why he believes Bucky wasn't under his own will (which would have been discovered sooner or later with an investigation), and the situation with Tony's parents, NONE of it would have happened. But instead Steve decides to act like a 13 year old boy who "just found his first love" and kept to himself. I understand that the people over the Avengers wanted Winter Soldier dead, but Cap didn't even ATTEMPT to explain what the hell was going on.

Lastly, people in power may have WANTED him dead, but they couldn't have just killed him without trial or investigation. That's illegal. Shoot, if that was the case, they would have killed him when they had him captive. If they're intentions were to TRULY kill him, there would have been NO reason to keep him alive. Why do you think they were giving him a psychiatric evaluation.

Either the heads at shield have crap memory or their threat to kill them was empty.

Wanda agreed with Steve, she changed her mind after they placed her on house arrest. Clint agreed because he saw how they were treating Wanda. Widow changed sides partway through. Falcon's moral compass pretty much always aligns with Steve's so of course he's going to side with him, that's also why they are such close friends. Bucky sided with him because the people that Iron Man was answering to wanted to execute him with no trial and no representation whatsoever.

Yeah, you got me there. Completely forgot some of the team member's reasoning.

However, as a whole (CERTAIN ASPECTS of the plot being underdeveloped, set pieces that were drawn on a little too long[I'm not talking about the important ones like the airport battle or the final battle, I'm talking minor ones like when Steven and Bucky were fighting the Shield agents, the Highway chase, or even the beginning scene. Those didn't need to be 10-15 minutes. They took up time for no reason], Cap's mind boggling stupidity, the forced humor that took away from the suspense and tension, and weird tonal shifts [there were other problems, but they're really minor and irrelevant, and don't take away from the film's quality much at all]), the film wasn't as good as I EXPECTED it to be.

Still my 7th favorite CBM.

Still my 2nd favorite MCU film.

Still my 3rd favorite Marvel film.

I just expected a little more.

FanboyAsylum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree. The movie focused WAY more on Tony's emotions than Steve. That's what I hated. They make it seem like Steve has no clear reason for not signing the Accords. Meanwhile, they make sure to show you all Tony's guilt, his anguish, his baggage, and everything in between to get sympathy for him. And the movie makes it seem like the things he did weren't f***ed up, because "he's just looking out for everybody". Tony gets all the heart to heart scenes, with the woman in the elevator at the beginning, to the scenes with Natasha, and they treat him like he's the victim at the end. Meanwhile, the only emotional scenes Steve really gets is Peggy's funeral, which lasts for 2 seconds before he goes and makes out with her niece for some reason. Other than that, he never really gets a chance to tell the audience how he really feels, and why he's in pain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a08a02678f1f
    deactivated-5a08a02678f1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@thefemalebat said:
    @silent_bomber said:

Exactly, which is why a teenybopper would refer to it as some "really old movie".

A nerd is not going to question whether people have heard of The Empire Strikes Back, or refer to it as a "really old movie".

So Spider-Man wasn't authentic enough a nerd for you?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.