Follow

Captain America: Civil War

Movie » Captain America: Civil War released on May 06, 2016.

When the government sets up a governing body to oversee the Avengers, the team splinters into two camps—one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.

Spoilers: Captain America Civil War: Who was the Villain

thanosii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thanosii

I don't know if I'm the only one but I feel the movie left me confused on who to blame....

Zemo to me felt like a victim, Black Panther even confessed to having the same motives as Zemo had. The fight between Stark and Steve was because Stark felt exactly the same way as Zemo did. The Accords where because the UN felt the same way as Zemo did.

Only Steve Rogers did not want to sign the Accords for accountability....

Only Steve Rogers thought Bucky is innocent despite killing over 36 people including an attempt on Nick Fury and killing Howard Stark plus wife. Even Bucky believed he is guilty despite brain wash.

I personally felt Russo-force Capt America is unbeatable even if he was the Villain in the movie.....

Who else thinks like me

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the real world the ideological debate between regulation and choice is just that, a debate. In the MCU where literally all of the institutions/governments have been incredibly corrupt or outright genocidal? Not so much.

He didn't want to be part of the accords because of how he perceived the change (blame shifting as opposed to true accountability) and the regulations that would come in with it (potential (and frankly very likely) restriction of all operations, both on foreign soil and in the US) not because he was afraid of having to answer for his actions.

Justifying Cap's villainous status by his saving of Bucky is also flawed. The Winter Soldier and James Buccanan Barnes are not one and the same, an infant could see that. He should be helped, but shooting to kill? Against someone who is literally not the same person? Cap taking action to prevent his murder was justified. Yes he's a threat, but for him to be so inclined it took an extreme amount of plot (Zemo finding Siberia, blowing up the accords) but he's no different to the rest of the heroes normally.

Zemo was the villain. And if not Tony was the defacto villain. His ideology might've been solid to begin with, but as the movie continues it becomes more and more about his own personal guilt and ego then any righteous cause. He brought a child into a war-zone for crying out loud. It isn't until the final battle that he jumps the shark of sensibility though. Blind hatred on that scale seemed out of character and I can't see how anyone could be rooting for him by that point.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the real world the ideological debate between regulation and choice is just that, a debate. In the MCU where literally all of the institutions/governments have been incredibly corrupt or outright genocidal? Not so much.

He didn't want to be part of the accords because of how he perceived the change (blame shifting as opposed to true accountability) and the regulations that would come in with it (potential (and frankly very likely) restriction of all operations, both on foreign soil and in the US) not because he was afraid of having to answer for his actions.

Justifying Cap's villainous status by his saving of Bucky is also flawed. The Winter Soldier and James Buccanan Barnes are not one and the same, an infant could see that. He should be helped, but shooting to kill? Against someone who is literally not the same person? Cap taking action to prevent his murder was justified. Yes he's a threat, but for him to be so inclined it took an extreme amount of plot (Zemo finding Siberia, blowing up the accords) but he's no different to the rest of the heroes normally.

Zemo was the villain. And if not Tony was the defacto villain. His ideology might've been solid to begin with, but as the movie continues it becomes more and more about his own personal guilt and ego then any righteous cause. He brought a child into a war-zone for crying out loud. It isn't until the final battle that he jumps the shark of sensibility though. Blind hatred on that scale seemed out of character and I can't see how anyone could be rooting for him by that point.

I don't think it was out of character at all. He just saw a man brutally murder his parents and then found out his friend knew the whole time and was lying about it.

Put yourself in those shoes, all logic goes out the window.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The villain in the movie is how everyone on Ironman's side forgot how to fight

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I'm pretty sure that the greyness over who is the villain is fully intentional. Everyone in this movie has a point, which only serves to increase the feeling that the fight between everyone is futile.

Honestly, the only person that is arguably "evil" is Crossbones.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Asgaard

Apparently, (based on this thread) you miss Steve Rogers core values and ideals of freedom, he was actually going to sign the accords, it was Wanda's "quarantine" that made him rethink that action and go back to his original position...

Kudos to the Russo brothers that from a very difficult execution made a very rare movie, in the sense that movies with so much spectacle aren't so much character driven, besides the pace felt coherent and always fused with the premise (unlike A.AoU), and the tone proportional to the events... And again it was more easy not made it work with so many characters and Mcu past plots... And yet, Cap Civil War made a lot of sense acknowledging all the Mcu variables...

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@mekboy said:

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

Spoilers just to give people a heads up

There was no out and out villain which is what made the movie good. As soon as Zemo was introduced, I was afraid that at the end of the movie, everyone would team up and have to fight him and his team, effectively ending the civil war by somehow showing the world that they avengers need to be separate.

Instead

We saw a far better ending where you an actually sort of sympathize with Zemo and are overall confused on who to root for. The scene where Iron Man realizes that Bucky killed his parents was great, especially since that was already mentioned in winter solider and was foreshadowed in the movie with the Tony and his parents scene.

Homer_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mekboy said:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.