elcapitan's Captain America and Bucky #620 - Masks review

Avatar image for elcapitan
  • elcapitan wrote this review on .
  • elcapitan has written a total of 86 reviews. The last one was for Clay

Who Knew Bucky Was So Cool?

Until today I had never read a Captain America comic book. Week after week I'd passed by Cap & Bucky because I wasn't interested, but week after week I could feel Chris Samnee's art calling to me. Despite my best efforts to resist, I buckled and bought the most heartwarming book of (last) month.

Maybe it's just Samnee's art, but there's a wholesomeness to the Bucky story that's refreshing for comics. Sure, Bucky has a temper and likes to scrap and fight, but what good warm-blooded American doesn't love a rumble here or there? The power of this book comes from Brubaker/Andreyko and Samnee writing WWII like we're used to seeing it. Larger than life and filled with exceptional men.

Samnee's last big project, Thor: The Mighty Avenger, was a clean, fun romp and Cap & Bucky has that same feeling. Clean, sharp, and wholesome. Come for the art, stay for the heart.