gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Man oh man. It's always something when a series writer just beats the heck out of their character. It may be a little hard for fans to see but it does show what the character is made out of. Sometimes you have to see a character fall completely and fight their way back up. Rick Remender's take on Cap has been rough. He's spent so many years in Dimension Z and we recently saw him suffer a great loss. Surely that's all the misery Remender would bestow upon Cap, right? Guess again.

With Arnim Zola's big plan about to be unleashed and infect the regular 616 universe, there's a lot riding on the heroes here. We've seen Cap gain a new ally but there's still some question as to whether or not he can fully trust this person. We also saw the cavalry arrive, sort of, as one of Cap's allies managed to come to Dimension Z and help him out. With so much at stake, there's huge potential for things to continue to go sour. We know Cap has to win in some way, especially since there was a brief mention of this storyline in a recent issue of Remender's UNCANNY AVENGERS. We just know it can't be an easy victory.

The course of this story has gone in some strange and interesting directions. It's been a fascinating trip seeing Cap in a different environment going through different situations. As we approached the ending, you could really appreciate what Remender has been setting up.

Was the ending satisfying? I'll admit, it was a bit of a punch to the gut. Right when you think you have it figured out, things take a turn. We'll definitely have to see what happens next. It's a little unfortunate that Cap won't get the chance to deal with the actions of one character. In a nice fashion, Remender does include an epilogue that keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is definitely something Cap will be feeling for quite some time.

The Bad

I've mentioned it before so there's no need to go on about it. I can appreciate John Romita Jr's art in certain scenes. We know he can draw characters beat up very well. I just never cared for the way the creatures in Dimension Z looked.

Will we see any recover time for Cap? Will we see how he went from the end of this issue to the first issue of UNCANNY AVENGERS and other appearances?

I'm not crazy about one character killed but, hey, it's comic books so who's to say this is the end.

The Verdict

Rick Remender has done some crazy things to Captain America in these last ten issues, and that's a good thing. We've had the chance to see Cap in a different way and we got a pretty heavy ending that's bound to have a deep affect on the character. It's nice to see Marvel allow the chance for Remender to try something different rather than have him tell more of the same Cap stories we've seen. There should definitely be repercussions after this. After everything Cap went through, I feel like I need to recuperate as well. Remender shows us it is possible to tell a different sort of Captain America story. After this, it'll be interesting to see what Remender has planned next.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fenderxx

I have really enjoyed this story, and was very happy the way it ended, and I feel like its sets up alot for future stories because I got to know the character a bit more.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

I feel like this is the Forgotten Marvel Now Book

I mean we have All the Avengers X Mens Spiders Wolverines DeadPool and then oh yeah we have a Cap book

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Cafeterialoca

I'm very, very, VERY disappointed in Remender. I mean Killing Sharon Carter? REALLY? Just because you want Cap and Wanda together, you just killed off Sharon? SERIOUSLY?!

Remender is a one trick pony. Kills constantly just to make characters mope. I just think he's a hack and I dread to see what he'll do to the rest of Captain America's cast.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Remender once again proves he cannot do anything but write dark and depressing characters that have gone threw grate pain. This arc was too long and the ending was terrible the "shocking" ending was terrible and showed that Remender can't do anything but write the same crap over and over.

On the plus side I can save four bucks a month now that Cap is dropped after a strong 8 year run of being on my list. Thank Remender -_-

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Loved it. Marvel's best book right now.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i like the reveal at the end , and that they're finally out of dimension z ! most boring cap arc ever !

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm losing interest in this book. If Remender can't win me over next month I'm afraid I'll be dropping this.

redbullpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: Sorry to hear that. It is such a great series.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hawkguy

@redbullpanda: I've loved it up until this point. Maybe it's the fact that it has dragged on so long, I just burnt off of it. It hasn't been like Batman arcs that are exciting all the way out.

I'm looking forward to Nuke, and I'll probably pick up the next issues. I love Remender, just the past 2 issues have been a turn off for me.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cafeterialoca: Yeah, seriously, it just seemed to me like it didn't have to go down like that.

captain_elburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the finale to this arc, but I'm glad it's over. It went on long enough and now it's time to move on to something else for Cap. I'm glad to see Romita Jr off the book, did not care for his art, especially the Phrox and the Mutates. If I'm Cap, the first thing I'm doing after getting out of Dimension Z is getting a massage.

PiggyV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not particularly enjoyed this run. I'm a big fan of Remender for the most part but the death in this issue was completely unnecessary. There was no reason for it, other than to shock, it was entirely avoidable. Romita Jr's art continues to be terrible, from the inhabitants of Dimension Z, to the completely featureless sleds they ride to Cap's fucking tiny shield. At least we didn't have to look at his bobble headed children though, damn he draws kids badly.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read this yet. Looking forward to it.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus Christ, everything has gor better and better on this book

fullmetalquach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely upset about the death. I really wanted to see them together again once he got back. The epilogue was really cool though, but Cap obviously doesn't know about the Nomad so he'll deal with the pain of his loss anyways. Such a rough arc for Steve. It definitely got better in quality over time, but its still hard to make good comparisons to Brubaker's run with the character.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The death felt VERY unnecessary also was that Ian at the end?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.