Follow

Calvin

Character » Calvin appears in 983 issues.

Calvin is a hyper-active young boy with an imagination and contemplation that seems to allow him to do things unimaginable to ordinary people. He also seems to have a very high IQ for a six year old.

Calvin and Hobbes: One of America's Greatest Comic Strips

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

"Van Gogh would've sold more than one painting if he'd put tigers in them!"

No Caption Provided
    Long before I fell in love with Batman, I remember being in love with another comic book character, or should I say, two of them. In fifth grade, I recall saving up all of my money (which wasn't very much), just so I could order Calvin and Hobbes books from the Scholastic Magazine. I am sure a lot of you out there reading this probably felt the same way, and maybe you saved up the little money you had as a kid just to get your hands on one of the compilations of the comic strip by Bill Waterson, like I did. Maybe you love Calvin and Hobbes as much as I do, but did you ever stop to ask yourself why? What is it about these two characters that is so different from other comic book and comic strip characters? What was it about the way that Waterson not only held your attention when you read their adventures, but made you fall in love with the little boy and his stuffed tiger? Is it their level of relatability, or the way they taught us so much about ourselves? Whatever Waterson did to make us fall in love with these two, for many of us, they have continued to hold our attention long after the creator's retirement from the comic. Many fans of the strip often wondered why Waterson opted to cancel the series at the height of it's success. To mark the end of the strip fifteen years ago, Waterson gave his first interview in over 20 years

With almost 15 years of separation and reflection, what do you think it was about "Calvin and Hobbes" that went beyond just capturing readers' attention, but their hearts as well?
    The only part I understand is what went into the creation of the strip. What readers take away from it is up to them. Once the strip is published, readers bring their own experiences to it, and the work takes on a life of its own. Everyone responds differently to different parts.
    I just tried to write honestly, and I tried to make this little world fun to look at, so people would take the time to read it. That was the full extent of my concern. You mix a bunch of ingredients, and once in a great while, chemistry happens. I can't explain why the strip caught on the way it did, and I don't think I could ever duplicate it. A lot of things have to go right all at once.

The reason the comics are still so captivating to readers of all ages to this day might be because we can still relate so much to these characters. There is so much about our childhood that the writer managed to capture. Everything from our very first crush, to the limitlessness of our imaginations. 

Calvin and his very first crush!
     Calvin and his very first crush!

Calvin's wild imagination always captured my own
     Calvin's wild imagination always captured my own

Waterson managed to effortlessly convey his opinions on serious issues through his characters using only four small panels, while still maintaining a level of interest and humor that led the reader to reflect on what they just read. He managed to inject personal feelings about so much of what bothered him in an often simplified way, without making his strip a soap box for his beliefs and personal frustrations. 

Waterson reflects on the education system
     Waterson reflects on the education system

It is no wonder that fans of Calvin and Hobbes grieved, and have continued to grieve for the loss of the characters that many (like myself) grew up with. I admit though, I agree that it is better to end on a high note leaving fans to reminisce, than to milk the comic strip for everything that it was.

Readers became friends with your characters, so understandably, they grieved -- and are still grieving -- when the strip ended. What would you like to tell them?
    This isn't as hard to understand as people try to make it. By the end of 10 years, I'd said pretty much everything I had come there to say. It's always better to leave the party early. If I had rolled along with the strip's popularity and repeated myself for another five, 10 or 20 years, the people now "grieving" for "Calvin and Hobbes" would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I'd be agreeing with them.
    I think some of the reason "Calvin and Hobbes" still finds an audience today is because I chose not to run the wheels off it.
    I've never regretted stopping when I did.

I realized after reading the interview that Waterson could have just as easily profited from licensing out the characters, turning them into movies, animated series or stuffed animals, but he didn't. Instead, Waterson gave fans of Calvin and Hobbes possibly the greatest gift: he sacrificed profit for the preservation of these two characters. 

Calvin and Hobbes are two characters that I know I will be going back to read forever, and if and when I decide to have children, I'll share with them what Bill Waterson shared with me. It's nice to know that I am not the only one that is thankful for what Waterson has contributed to comics. Check out some of the Calvin and Hobbes inspired artwork below.  What are some of your favorite Calvin and Hobbes memories? 

Also, above scans of individual comic strips courtesy of ProgressiveBoink
    Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Citizen 14

Classic.
    Never gets old.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Tyler Starke

I absolutely love Calvin and Hobbes, great article babs

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By Dracade102

Best 
    Duo  
    EVER!!!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

Best newspaper comic ever made. Hands down.
    jmstump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jmstump

Calvin and Hobbes will never stop being funny.  I really want to get my hands on the slip cover hardcovers.

Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By TheSavageAssasin
    @Dracade102 said:
    "  Best Duo  EVER!!! "
    Yep!Even better than Batman and Robin!
    Avatar image for comicbufftoughstuff
    comicbufftoughstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

they truly are the greatest.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@Babs: love the fight club image
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Calvin and Hobbes was my first favorite comic book and I think it speaks to so many people because its so relatable. Not only to the younger generation who still have the wild imagination and fly to Mars in a box, but to us slightly older readers who remember those moments of our youth.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun Fact: Calvin is good friends with Marvel Comics mutant powerhouse
    Guido Carosella, aka:  Strong Guy

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#12  Edited By Dracade102
    @TheSavageAssasin said:
    " @Dracade102 said:
    "  Best Duo  EVER!!! "
    Yep!Even better than Batman and Robin! "

LoL exactly!!!
    grifter78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#13  Edited By grifter78

Yes, Calvin and Hobbes is classic.  I picked up several of the collections in the years after it came out but the holy grail was scoring the complete collection on amazon two years ago.  It has a great intro by Waterson and made me appreciate the characters even more, especially after he explained why he quit so early.  I have yet to go through the two huge volumes of the collection but every now and then, I pull them out and read a few strips if I need a good laugh.
    The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By The Sadhu

The Sadhu approves of Calvin & Hobbes!
    Avatar image for deactivated-62aa3e6022c4b
    deactivated-62aa3e6022c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

i love finding the volumes of C&H for cheap, i snatch those things up everytime

JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JackAs

I was never a fan of this. It just never got to me.

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Gothic Storm

Calvin and Hobbes are timeless. When you watch a Peanuts cartoon, no matter how many times, there are always moments that make you laugh. I feel this way every time I read a Calvin and Hobbes strip, but more so! If Calvin and Hobbes have taught us one thing it's this: "Imagination is more important than knowledge." Those aren't my words... they're Albert Einstein's.

ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ceniza

http://enigmawing.deviantart.com/art/alone-105644212

credit: http://enigmawing.deviantart.com/

swhorl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 33

#19  Edited By swhorl
    @JackAs said:
    " I was never a fan of this. It just never got to me. "
    I know different people enjoy different things, but that just makes me sad.  I honestly don't know how anyone couldn't find Calvin and Hobbes to be a bright spot in the world of entertainment.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By No_Name_
    @strangeling: You took the words right out of my mouth. You don't know how many bad days I have had where I have come home and read those comics and felt a little bit better. :)
    JackAs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JackAs

Oh please. Don't make out to be the bad guy lol I have always veered towards Arthur and Rupert the Bear, which is some of my favorite all time cartoons. Still are. Calvin and Hobbes just never appealed to me.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Decept-O

Wait isn't anyone impressed Babs did this interview?  You did this interview, Babs?  Unless I missed something?    Aces if you did!  If not, its still a nice article.

Calvin and Hobbes, yes, the epitome of fun comic strips.  Good stuff.
    SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SirSparkington

I always did enjoy Calvin and Hobbes, perhaps not to the extent of some of the people on here. I was more of a Garfield kid growing up. However, I must say that as an adult I enjoy reading Calvin and Hobbes much more now and hardly ever read Garfield now.
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

I love Calvin And Hobbs!
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

The only thing I like more is the Far Side. Here's one of my favorites:

No Caption Provided
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By goldenkey

I think Bill Waterson is an asshole for not continuing his work with Calvin and Hobbes.  It''s not like he was running out of ideas, all he had to do was turn the cardboard box another direction, cross out doop-li-kator and write something else on it and BOOM we had another story.  So deprived.
    Gank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gank

Best ever. Period.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bruce Vain

Whenever I read Calvin & Hobbes it always takes me back to when I was a kid. Looking forward to the Book Sale at my school so I could buy Calvin & Hobbes and the Far Side books & see how many of them I could get. Just reading it made me envious that I wish I had an imaginary friend like Hobbes or better yet like Drop Dead Fred :D. But I guess I wasn't that imaginitve like Calvin to create a friend like that. But the thing I always had in common was pretending to be a superhero namely Batman,Superman & Captain America. Or pretending I was a Tyranosaurus Rex or as Godzilla tearing through Tokyo or fighting Gigan. So it was nice seeing a comic strip that made me go "HEY he's like me !" :) . I always loved it when the strips came close to winter time & Christmas. Cause I was always anticipating what new snowmen he was gonna do which in turn gave me some ideas as well back when I lived up north. Another favorite of mine was how he would always terrorize his mother and babysitter(Guilty again lol) or whenever Calvin would come home from school and Hobbes would just attack Calvin just for shits and giggles lol. Just hilarious moments. What I always loved about Calvin was how honestly intelligent he was (except for Math lol), but yet how lazy he was with doing  any schoolwork at home or at school. Which I seemed to ironically relate with. ha ha. What with daydreaming,sleeping or sharping pencils and throwing them up on the ceiling so they would stick. :) What I loved what Waterson did was make you think, hmm IS Hobbes real ? Just little moments with him would make you want to believe he was real. It still saddens me that there's no more Calvin & Hobbes or there was no cartoon ever made( attempts were made ; but Waterson did not want that). But I understand why he hung up his hat & like you said went off on a high note. Though , it doesn't mean I don't have any hope for him returning :D. So till then IF that day was to ever happen ; I'll wait patiently while I continue reading my Calvin & Hobbes trades. =) 

Excellent Article Babs.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By No_Name_
    @Decept-O said:
    " Wait isn't anyone impressed Babs did this interview?  You did this interview, Babs?  Unless I missed something?    Aces if you did!  If not, its still a nice article.  Calvin and Hobbes, yes, the epitome of fun comic strips.  Good stuff. "
    Oh I wish I had! It would have been some scoop! Actually the article is linked to a Cincinnati paper, I believe. :)
    OhTru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OhTru

damn I have to buy me some of these I forgot how cool that comic was

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Calvin

,@Babs said:

"In fifth grade, I recall saving up all of my money (which wasn't very much), just so I could order Calvin and Hobbes books from the Scholastic Magazine.  "

Funny, Calvin's "Yukon Ho" in Portuguese version "Viva o Alasca!" was the first book I ever bought on my own, also in the fifth, maybe sixth grade. 
    Calvin's funny yet insightful remarks, his creativity, his concern for the environment, his curiosity.... I wonder how much has he not influence us all who read the books!

No Caption Provided

PS - It's funny how Calvin always reading Captain Napalm reminds me of some of us with Superman or Batman... 
    yanclae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By yanclae

I have taken the ten-years of Complete Calvin and Hobbes (two editions), and cut every panel out and re-ordered the events into one logical year of a 6-year-old youth.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.