Follow

Bucky O'Hare

Character » Bucky O'Hare appears in 36 issues.

Fights the evil Toad Empire and the super computer Komplex.

Would U Buy It? #105: Bucky O'Hare: The UK Collection

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop  Online
    DateWUBI? #105:View:Attached to Forum:Last Issue:
    06/06/19Bucky O'Hare: The UK Collection(Blog) (Forum)Bucky O'Hare.WUBI #104.

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's one of mine:

Proposed Title:Bucky O'Hare: The UK Collection
    Alternate Titles:
    • The Complete UK Bucky O'Hare.
    • Bucky O'Hare: The British Comics Collection.
    • Bucky O'Hare in the UK.
    • Bucky O'Hare: The D.C. Thomson Collection.
    • Bucky O'Hare: The Complete Series.
    • Bucky O'Hare: The Full Series.
    Collecting 20 Issues:
    • Bucky O'Hare #1-20.
    Covers: (click to enlarge)
    TPB Cover: Bucky O'Hare #15
    TPB Cover: Bucky O'Hare #15

I'm actually a little bit torn about suggesting this one. On the one hand, Larry Hama created Bucky O'Hare, and as far as published issues go, he only wrote the 1986 Bucky O'Hare Graphic Novel, and the 1991 five-issue Bucky O'Hare series, both from Continuity Comics. On the other hand, this UK series from D.C. Thomson & Co. reprints the Continuity issues, includes the missing sixth issue (the last issue of the adaptation of the '86 graphic novel), and then goes on to publish fourteen more issues! Fourteen issues that were never seen in the United States! As a Bucky fan, that's something I want to read! As a lover of creator-owned properties, I kind of don't like it that Hama had nothing to do with those additional fourteen issues. In fact, he says he's never read them.

Regardless of Hama's non-involvement though, I still want to read this series! As I understand it, it kind of goes with the cartoon, so it might not be as good as if it had just been written for the comic, but if you're a Bucky fan, how can you not want to read fifteen more issues (fourteen plus the missing sixth issue)? I can only think that this would be a fun read!

As I mentioned, the first five issues were the adaptation of the 1986 graphic novel. They were written by Larry Hama, and illustrated by Michael Golden. The Continuity series was supposed to have a sixth issue to finish off that adaptation. The DCT&Co. series completes the adaptation, but it's unclear whether it's from the missing sixth issue material by Hama and Golden, or if it was done by the different creative team for Issues #7-20. Those were written by Peter Stone, drawn by Andre Coates, and inked by Joel Adams. Again, I'm a bit torn about that. On the one hand, it's not the original creators. On the other hand, a) that's comics, and b) it's kind of like the Oz books written by John R. Neill or Ruth Plumly Thompson; yeah, it's not the original guy, but I still want to read them.

To differentiate it from the proposed Bucky O'Hare TPB suggested in the last WUBI, and to stress that this is not the series written by Larry Hama, I'd call this one Bucky O'Hare: The UK Collection, or any of the alternate titles suggested. For the cover, as always, #1 is a safe bet, but to me that's kind of bland. Issue #20 is a good team pose, but the team shot on Issue #15 is just a little bit better to me.

Would U Buy It? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop  Online
    Credit Where Credit Is Due Department:

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that most of my research for this WUBI came from The Bucky O'Hare Fan Fiction and Information Site, made by the incomparable Rygar. Even when I went looking for clarifying information, it turned out Rygar had started those threads too. Between their site and Wikipedia, I was able to gather what I needed for this WUBI, and add the UK Bucky O'Hare volume to the wiki. So this was built on Rygar's work, and they are owed a huge thanks. Thank you. -cb

No Caption Provided
    .Back to Top.<104 Bucky O'Hare(Full WUBI Index)Guy Gardner Reborn 106>

Thanks again!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop  Online
    #105: Bucky O'Hare: The UK Collection
    #105: Bucky O'Hare: The UK Collection

Diagnostik80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As a UK ex-pat now living in the USA, I would absolutely love a TPB of the UK comics!! I picked up a few of them back in the day but we were in the middle of nowhere so it was hard to get a full run. I completely forgot the comic existed as I got older and only realised I had a few of them a few years back when I started doing work for Boss Fight Studio who currently hold the action figure license. I desperately want the series compiled or at the very least available for download on any of the mainstream apps. Great shout and I fully endorse this proposition!!

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cbishop  Online

As a UK ex-pat now living in the USA, I would absolutely love a TPB of the UK comics!! I picked up a few of them back in the day but we were in the middle of nowhere so it was hard to get a full run. I completely forgot the comic existed as I got older and only realised I had a few of them a few years back when I started doing work for Boss Fight Studio who currently hold the action figure license. I desperately want the series compiled or at the very least available for download on any of the mainstream apps. Great shout and I fully endorse this proposition!!

Hark! A reader! Woot! Thanks! Like I say in the blog, I've only ever read the Continuity series, and seen some of the cartoon. I'd love to read more of Bucky O'Hare. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.