Follow

Bucky Barnes

Character » Bucky Barnes appears in 2103 issues.

Believed dead near the end of World War II only to have been found and brainwashed by the Soviets for the next 50 years, Captain America's former sidekick now continues to defend his country from the shadows against those who would threaten it as legendary spy and assassin, the Winter Soldier. He became the new Captain America to honor his friend Steve and he joined the Avengers. When Steve returned as Captain America, Bucky took on the identity of the Winter Soldier once again.

Off My Mind: Will Marvel Kill Bucky Barnes

• 93 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

If there's one thing that's become evident over the years is comic readers detest cheap comic book deaths. Actually it's when the deaths become insignificant with when the deceased character is miraculously brought back from the dead. Whether it's magic, science, alternate realities, time travel, clones, life-model decoys or some other type of doppelgänger, comic book writers have a multitude of ways to revive a dead character.

One of the few characters it was felt would and should never be brought back was Captain America's first sidekick, Bucky Barnes. When Ed Brubaker set his plan into motion with the re-introduction of Barnes as the Winter Soldier, I personally was both surprised and immensely intrigued to see where the story would take him.

No Caption Provided

Bucky went from being the beloved hero that sacrificed himself to a brainwashed assassin. Soon he was able to overcome his programming and stepped up to the role of Captain America when Steve Rogers was seemingly killed. In that role as Captain America, it looks as if Marvel may have plans to kill Bucky once again so that Steve Rogers can return to the mantle of Captain America. (Spoilers if you haven't read Fear Itself #3).

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Deaths have always been a common shocking plot device to draw attention to comics. They have become mini-events in the media's eyes and are now splashed across the headlines. In the recent Marvel event, FEAR ITSELF, the Red Skull's daughter, Sin, has been transformed by an ancient Asgardian force of evil. In a chaotic battle in Washington DC, Bucky faced off against the Asgardian-powered Sin and didn't walk away from the encounter in one piece. He was left with a pretty nasty gaping hole in his chest and we saw his final words as the comic page faded to white.

Before you cry out that you've been spoiled, this is something that happened a month ago and also something that Marvel has discussed. Bucky's wound looked pretty bad and the preview image Marvel released for Fear Itself #4, he appears to be lying motionless on a slab. Could this really be the end for Bucky? With the upcoming release of Captain America: The First Avenger in theaters, it's no surprise that Marvel would want and need to have Steve Rogers back in costume. Doing so doesn't mean Bucky has to die.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Because characters never stay dead in comics, if Bucky does die, it shouldn't be a big deal, right? He died and returned before so why not again? It just doesn't feel like the deaths we've been seeing. Even though the death occurred in a Marvel event book, there wasn't any attention drawn to the fact that he may have died. Imagine the media attention the issue would get if Marvel announced The Death of Captain America (again) a month before the movie was released. It wouldn't matter that it was a different Captain America just as it didn't matter in the media's eye that it was Ultimate Spider-Man that died rather than the actual 616-version.

It might be because of the movie that Marvel decided not to gamble with shocking non-comic book readers with the comic book death of the character.

If it was the Red Skull's daughter that killed Steve Rogers' partner, that could have some big repercussions. There's some good story-telling potential there. What doesn't feel right is all the work that Ed Brubaker has put into making Bucky a hundred times cooler than he was before his return. Bucky has gone on an incredible journey in becoming Captain America and the recent Trial of Captain America and the following story with Bucky in a Russian Gulag feel like too much just to have him die by a giant Asgardian hammer.

No Caption Provided

In the pages of Captain America, Nick Fury has made it clear to Steve that the nation needs a Captain America and also that even though Bucky was exonerated in the U.S., he's too tarnished to be Captain America. This is where it would be perfect for Bucky to take on a different identity such as USAgent.

There's also the fact that when Steve was stuck going through time as part of Red Skull's plan that fooled the world that he was dead, he saw the future (in Captain America Reborn #6). He saw a future where Bucky was dead while wearing his old Winter Soldier costume. As long as Bucky was Captain America, this future couldn't happen. This was part of the reason Steve didn't reclaim the identity from Bucky.

In FEAR ITSELF, it looks like he died because he was Captain America. If he wasn't wearing the suit and slinging the shield, there's a chance he would have still been there fighting alongside the Avengers but it's also possible he wouldn't have been in immediate danger.

No Caption Provided

I've been a huge fan of what Brubaker has done with Bucky. I would absolutely hate to see him die after all the time that has been invested in him. The Captain America series is being renamed to Captain America and Bucky and will feature the formative years of Bucky Barnes as he rises from scrappy army brat to Captain America’s closest ally. If it is time for him to die (again), we can probably rest assured that he will return somehow. Perhaps some Asgardian magic could revive/cure him. Let's just hope it doesn't have to come to that. Bucky's come too far to simply die once again.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By JonesDeini

Knowing Marvel G-Man, yes, yes they will. 

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

I'm pretty sure it's just an event death and Bucky will be back afterwards with some stupid explanation.  It's Marvel, so it's doubtful he'll stay dead.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By HellionVulcan

I might be the only one to say this but i like Bucky more then captain america ,he has a past that isn't so clean & yet in the end he may die a hero is justified to me how badass he is .I doubt he'll stay dead only z class characters stay dead .

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I haven't read the Fear stories, and I don't know if you mentioned this in your article, but is it possible that his death or injury is just a mass hallucination?

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By blur1528

Damn... I really liked Brubaker's Bucky

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Chane

It's hard to get new characters "over" with the comic reading masses, Bucky seems popular so I doubt they would kill him and lose the £££ that he could bring in. 
     (Yes, I know he technically isn't a new character) 

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TDK_1997  Online
    @JonesDeini said:
    Knowing Marvel G-Man, yes, yes they will. 
    Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
    higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

nice read  great article

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eyz

Not Bucky! NOOooooo!!

I mean,
    Not Bucky! AGAAAaaaain!!

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By leokearon

It is funny that there is a Captain America movie coming out and Marvel might be planning to kill off Captain America. 

I really hope they don't, still if they do, they could just say that the hammer was a magic time hammer which didn't kill him but instead sent his spirit through time.... nah that is a stupid idea no-one who use something like that.....

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Rudyftw

This may be a bad place to ask this, but if I wanted to get into Captain America... wheres a good place to start? I have no clue, because i'm mostly a DC man, but this looks pretty cool.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mercy_

@Rudyftw: Were you looking for Bucky as Cap or Steve as Cap?

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rudyftw
    @The Dark Huntress: Which is better in your opinion? Bucky was his sidekick right?
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mercy_

@Rudyftw: I've only ever really read Bucky as Cap, so I'm a bit biased ;p I'll give you my starting point, if you want?

_Grifter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By _Grifter_

I like Bucky as Cap, I could see Marvel killing him off though....

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16  Edited By CrimsonTempest

Ugh. Marvel doesn't even surprise me anymore. This is just sad. Can they just make him be Winter Soldier again?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Billy Batson

Hopefully. 

BB

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I only came to like Steve Rogers once he had a much overdue expansion on his character and took on new roles and that was in part thanks to Bucky, not happy to see things take a massive step backwards. 

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By doordoor123

Hes going to come back as a vampire for the next event. SO predictable.
    Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Golden Cod
    @ZombieBigfoot said:
    I'm pretty sure it's just an event death and Bucky will be back afterwards with some stupid explanation.  It's Marvel, so it's doubtful he'll stay dead.
    The death of the Serpent at the end of the arc will probably revive Bucky but only the other heroes will know, allowing him to restart under a fresh identity.  
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

I don`t want him to die either -.-

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Samimista

It's the fictional world if he does die I'm sure he'll come back no one really stays dead for long.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the sort of reaction Marvel expects from fans.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By PowerHerc

After the epic story, and all the details involved, to bring him back I hope not. Let Bucky live.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#25  Edited By The Impersonator

NOOOOOO!

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

arent marvel killing off thor again, g-man? marvel will do anything for a 5 buck comic and keep folks comin back. 

Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
    carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By carnivalofsins00

I think that if someone is going to kill him, it would be Brubaker that writes it. Like you've said, too much was put into the character to have him end just like that. But, I could be wrong. I just hope he doesn't die, is all.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Cafeterialoca

He's already confirmed dead by Marvel.  Sorry.

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GTG12

I really hope they bring him back. While i prefer steve as cap I really like bucky and it would be a waste to see him die... again.
    MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#30  Edited By MrMazz

Yes and they will bring him back with 2 robotic arms

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Kairan1979

Can't they stop using the death of the hero as a plot device? It's getting annoying!

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By skaarason
    amazing article !!!!! 

i feel the same i hate that he's dead , when steve was cap i had a few issues , but when james took over ive been picking up everthing with him as cap , he just became a better character than steve plus ed brubaker writing  was  phenomenal !!!!!!!
    davelecave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By davelecave
    @ZombieBigfoot said:
    It's Marvel, so it's doubtful he'll stay dead.
    As opposed to DC, who keeps everyone dead forever...*cough*...
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I really hope they dont kill him.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By MrUnknown

First of all Marvel doesn't need to have Steve Rogers back as Captain America. I don't know why you said that.

Two, recently Nick Fury is so horribly written just about everywhere except for Secret Warriors surely he has better things to do than stalk Captain America.

Three, ruining the last three years of Captain America on a movie that may or may not be successful and has very little influence in increasing interest in comic books is a fool's errand.

caladbolglight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#36  Edited By caladbolglight

Unfortunately, the only character who seems to have stayed permanently dead is Uncle Ben. I wish that Marvel would consider whether or not killing off characters is the right choice more carefully, because unless they can resurrect themselves, they're a robot, or whether their resurrection is crucial to the story (i.e Blackest Night), then a character should stay dead. I believe that killing off the occasional character is important to the growth of the alter-ego, and so it annoys me greatly when a character comes back to life. I'm not familiar with Bucky, but he seems like a decent character, and I mean no offense to Bucky fans, but maybe he should stay dead. I like how Steve Rogers is no longer Captain America, as to me, it gives the feeling that the character is growing. If Rogers were to go back to being Cap, then it would feel like the character is regressing. 

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#37  Edited By Deadcool

Bucky!!!!!!!! 
    AAAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!!!!! 
    MY HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
    I liked Bucky Cap
    insanepayne6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By insanepayne6

I don't think they will have him die as Captain America.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Autopsad

I loved the idea of the Winter Soldier and what they made him become. I don't wanna see him die.

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#40  Edited By keith71_98

Loved the Winter Soldier angle but I really think Bucky as Cap had ran it's course.
    Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mutant God

or maybe in a coma
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DH69

only part that bugs me is the fact that rogers is going back to that stupid costume, i loved the super soldier suit.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Chane
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Keep Bucky. I've always liked his character.  Just would really suck otherwise.

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sa5m

Perhaps just badly wounded? I do not like the killing

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By maxicere

He allways be Bucky, must to be simply Bucky, No Winter Soldier, No Captain America, No USAgent.

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tigerstriper

This is what I hate about comics becoming movies.  They always have to mess with things.

dragoness1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dragoness1993

Marvel has killed of so many characters, so i wouldn't be surprised if they killed Bucky

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AlKusanagi

I figure they could just have him "die" and then use him as the new USAgent, doing black ops missions and such.

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By Silver Knight75

I wouldn't put it past them. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.