Follow

Brightest Day

Story arc »

Once dead, 12 heroes and villains were resurrected by a white light expelled deep from within the center of the Earth. Deemed a miracle by many and a sign of the apocalypse by others, the reasons behind their rebirths remain a mystery. But it will not be a mystery for long.

Ongoing Brightest Day Review

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zoom

Brightest Day 0 
    splash pages: 3 + 1 double 
    The Hawks have really weird turn ons.  Kyle Raynor is not a very good boyfriend.  Ronnie Raymond is a jerk. People in Kahndaq form mobs in the shape of lightning bolts.  Hawk and Dove are the avatars of war and peace now even though they got their powers from the lords of chaos and order.  Hawk is a good guy again with no explanation.  No heroes question this even though the last thing he did when he was alive was try to kill the JSA.   Overall, this is a nice long intro to all of our stories (even the ones that will be taking place in other books) but there's just too much mischaracterization and too many plot holes. 
    2/5 

Brightest Day 1 
    splash pages: 3 + 1 double
    Aquaman is pretty much bulletproof and Black Manta is back.  Sweet.  Aquaman's story is pretty cool so this issue was solid.  We get tiny plot advancements for Firestorm and Martian Manhunter are welcome but way too short.  Hawks' story is almost pure filler.  It would have been better to devote the non Aquaman parts of the story to just one of the others.  In fact, I think BD would be better in general if it focused mainly one one story and then minorly on one other story each issue and in the following issue, the previous minor focus became the major one, tying each issue together until these stories converge rather than having a main story and then wasting 5 pages reminding us that other stories are still going on while barely progressing them at all.  Boo @ the misleading tagline.
    3/5

Brightest Day 2 
    splash pages: 3 
    The Martian Manhunter story gets some advancement.  This is good since it's the most interesting plotline.  Firestorm wastes 8 pages essentially telling us that Firestorm is unstable and his head fire is really hot now.  The Hawks plot is still filler.  Hawkman needs to stop smashing things every time something doesn't go his way.  Deadman is still teleporting around randomly.  It's starting to get old.  Boo @ the misleading cover because Aquaman is only in one panel and has no lines. 
    2.5/5

Brightest Day 12 
    splash pages: 2 + 1 double 
    SA secret revealed: There's been another Green Martian on Earth ALL ALONG.
    J'onn's story is more interesting to me than the others and with actual plot advancement and no cutting to other stories only to remind you that they are still there, this was possibly my favorite issue of the series.  Boo @ the misleading cover.
    3.5/5 

Brightest Day 13 
    splash pages: 3 + 1 double
    The amount of time wasted here is off the charts.  We are treated to seriously nine panels in a row of Hawkman hitting things with his mace.  I understand that this is the only thing Hawkman EVER does but come on.  At least put some dialogue in there.  It felt like I was looking at teaser images.  They kinda make up for it by having a ton of backstory panels in a row but it's still backstory about frigging Hawkman so I still don't care.  I want them to continue with the trend of having more and more pages focus on one of the storylines and less and less pages used to remind us that there are still other storylines without progressing them but the unfortunate effect of that trend is that when a Hawkman issue comes along, I don't enjoy it.  Offhanded killing of Hath Set and uninspired monologuing from Hawkgirl's mom doesn't help either.
    2/5

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.