Follow

Brian Michael Bendis

Person » Brian Michael Bendis is credited in 3003 issues.

Brian Michael Bendis is a comic writer, and former artist. He is well-known for his extended tenure on Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers, and Daredevil for Marvel, as well as for his creator-owned series Powers and Scarlet. Bendis' work has earned him five Eisner Awards.

Brian Michael Bendis writes too much...

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wattup

Unlike many fans, I think BMB is a good writer. Powers is an example of great story-telling by the guy and although his Marvel work can be hit or miss, I think he's among the upper echelon of comic book writers.

That being said, the guy writes TOO many books.

If I'm not mistaken, Bendis writes all the Avengers books, some Ultimate Marvel books and his own creator works every month. And as a result, I think there's definitely some shoddy work out there...especially since some of those Avengers books have entire issues where NOTHING happens but stilted chatter between the characters (HATE HATE HATE his style of having multiple word balloons interrupting each other).

I'm not a Bendis hater. I'm actually a fan. Nevertheless, I think writing too many characters a month dilutes the quality of the books he works on.

Anyone else agree?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

His Ultimate Spider-Man is awesome. I tried getting into his Avengers books but neither of them interested me. I have not read Scarlett.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

I like Bendis, but the dude has to take a break from the Avengers or stop writing them all together. He did much more harm than good there.

Utimate Spider-Man was great back when it started. I stopped reading after, like, issue 70

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By brc2000

He really needs to stop writing the Avengers, or at least one of the books. He was alright when he started and I liked him bringing in characters like The Hood, but he's getting tiring now, and it's like every other panel he has to make a character say a joke or something immature now. It's a shame that more people preferred his stuff to the Dan Slott stuff (which while not perfect, at least felt like the Avengers), and he still keeps getting high ratings. I'm glad he's not writing Bucky anymore. He wrote him as a complete noob.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

He needs to stop writing in 616 altogether. He can go write in Ultimate, just stay the hell away from the real characters.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
    venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

He should stick with Ultimate Spider-man and NO ONE ELSE.
    Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hoboseid

BMB works great with small work loads, he should take a break from writing big team books and be giving his own smaller section of the Marvel universe to mess around with so if he does make an error it can be fixed in one book and the fallout won't leak across the whole Marvel Universe
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mercy_

He's like Fraction, only to a worse degree. He does well with characters that don't really have an established continuity because there's nothing there for him to screw up and he gets to write his own little fan-fictions (because let's face it, that's what he writes) without utterly destroying 616 characters. 

SirJig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's called greed, ego and not knowing your limitations. I think the only reason Powers holds up (mostly) is due to Oeming being able to rein Bendis in.

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He needs to stop writing in 616 altogether. He can go write in Ultimate, just stay the hell away from the real characters.

@fadetoblackbolt said:

It's become apparent that Bendis has crushes on various characters, and uses others to live out his own sordid fantasies.

Bendis wants to be a black man and have anal sex with Jessica Jones?

http://geekhardshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/e43170e66af22a25e136bc763d7cc7f4.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp8bdxS6gE1qbmuffo1_500.jpg

I wanted to talk about Alias. There was a scene early on in the first issue that I found particularly disturbing. I couldn’t get my head around it. It was the sex scene between Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

Yes, and by the way the novelty of saying “the sex scene with Luke Cage” has not worn off. It’s hilarious that those words are even spoken in the English language.

Well, it’s really disturbing. She has anal sex with a black man in order to feel degraded.

I don’t know if he has sex with her anally.

It looked like it.

It could be. But it’s not about him being a black man. I can one thousand percent absolutely promise you that was not my agenda or the case. It had nothing to do with him being a black man. It could easily have been Wonder Man. It’s just not the relationship, how it was written. And I can only promise you that. It is interesting that that element of it still stirs in some people. It’s why the book was not printed at its original printer which was shocking to us as well. I didn’t think that that was a problem. I know that some people, particularly friends of mine, had an issue with a woman punishing herself with sex or whatever that sexual act was. They would come up to me and go, “Women don’t do that.” I would go, “No, not all women, but some women and some men do that.” And they’d say, “Well, that’s true.” It’s weird the way people take that. “I’m not talking about you. I’m talking about her.” I absolutely have known people who do that and I know some people who continue to do that well past an age where you think they would stop. And I wanted to write about it. And I am shocked I get to write about it in a Marvel comic book.

I can promise you as far as race relations are concerned, [and] I’ve proven this over the course of the relationship which has gone all the way to a marriage and parenting, that race is one thousand percent not an issue in their life as much as it is an issue for other people. But it’s not an issue for them. And it’s not an issue for me in my life. I have a multi-racial family.

http://www.bookslut.com/features/2009_02_014023.php

http://www.i-mockery.com/comics/longbox6/

And again, Bendis isn't exactly a bad writer. But he should never, ever be compared to the likes of someone like Alan Moore, who I've seen him compared to several times. Bendis is a case of a decent writer who blew up too big too fast, and I think the quality of his writing has taken a severe nose-dive as a result of his newfound popularity. Compare his early graphic novel Torso with his recent work in Ultimate Spider-Man and I wager you'll find a world of difference between their levels of quality. Bendis needs to get over his own popularity and get back into the creativity that he used to be capable of.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans brag about how Joss Whedon is so good at writing dialogue that you can often take a single line by a character, out of context, and still identify who said the line. Even if you haven't seen the episode it came from. There are online quizzes out there based on this premise. My argument is that with Bendis's dialogue you won't know your Luke Cage from your Spider-Man. So in the interest of testing that theory, I've created this brief BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS DIALOGUE QUIZ! Enjoy!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.