Follow

Brian Michael Bendis

Person » Brian Michael Bendis is credited in 3003 issues.

Brian Michael Bendis is a comic writer, and former artist. He is well-known for his extended tenure on Ultimate Spider-Man, Avengers, and Daredevil for Marvel, as well as for his creator-owned series Powers and Scarlet. Bendis' work has earned him five Eisner Awards.

Brian Michael Bendis

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By saoakden

Ever since I made an account on this website, I have noticed that there's been a lot of negative feedback towards Brian Michael Bendis.

I've been wanting to ask this for a while now: Why do a lot of people not like Brian Michael Bendis? Is it his writing style, his stories what is it?

He's written: The Majority of the Ultimate Universe(Notably Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man Vol. 1 and Vol. 2) Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Dark Avengers, Daredevil, Moon Knight, House of M, Secret Invasion, Siege, and a bunch of other titles.

So what is it really? Why do a lot people hate this guy?

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

- IMO it is primarily that he is central to all of the endless Marvel events that so many are tired of, most of which have been underwhelming to terrible

- His non-event Marvel work has been hit and miss, but it is nowhere near as good as his earlier independent works which is disappointing

- After reading Powers, New Avenegers looks like NFL SuperPro

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By _Zombie_

Siege is a pretty terrible example if you want to try and defend Bendis. Also, he helped write Fear Itself, and will be writing on Avengers vs. X-Men(another mega crossover event that we don't need).

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

Because yo momma.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By saoakden

@iLLituracy: What does that even mean?

@ZombieBigfoot: I'm not trying to defend him. I'm just want to get a better understanding why people don't like him. And I was just listing some examples.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Siege is a pretty terrible example if you want to try and defend Bendis. Also, he helped write Fear Itself, and will be writing on Avengers vs. X-Men(another mega crossover event that we don't need).

He did?

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _Zombie_

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

He did?

I believe I saw his name on a couple covers, unless he was doing something else, or I'm wrong. The latter happens quite often.

@saoakden said:

@ZombieBigfoot: I'm not trying to defend him. I'm just want to get a better understanding why people don't like him. And I was just listing some examples.

My apologies, I misunderstood you.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @InnerVenom123 said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

He did?

Was just going to ask that.

@iLLituracy said:
    Because yo momma.

@saoakden said:

lol
    _Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By _Zombie_

Wait, yeah, I'm wrong. It was just the Avengers tie-in. Sorry 'bout that.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By saoakden

@ZombieBigfoot: Its all good.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Gambit1024

Because

a) I'm tired of all the ridiculous, unnecessary events.

b) Ever since he was the writer of The Avengers, just about everyone and anyone in the Marvel U that wears tights and calls themself a "superhero" is allowed to join the team.

c) Because of him, we have 3 unnecessary teams of Avengers. One of which (The New Avengers) basically sits around in the mansion, and does nothing. Seriously, what does that team do that the Avengers don't?

d) Daredevil and Storm (there's probably more, but I'm too lazy to look it up) are two great characters. Once they're on the Avengers (not that I'm saying that they should be), they contribute nothing to the team. In the last issue of Avengers, this was Storm's intro issue. What happens to her? She drools for two straight pages. Not even joking about that.

e) He's killed off great characters with little to no reasoning behind it: Ares, Sentry, Wasp, etc.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By saoakden

@Gambit1024: Right now the New Avengers are fighting Osborn's Dark Avengers. I think from the Civil War to Siege, The New Avengers were fugitives because they didn't go for the Regerstration Act.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit1024

@saoakden said:

@Gambit1024: Right now the New Avengers are fighting Osborn's Dark Avengers. I think from the Civil War to Siege, The New Avengers were fugitives because they didn't go for the Regerstration Act.

The main Avengers team can't do that?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By saoakden

@Gambit1024: Osborn has a personal grudge against the New Avengers cause they kicked his ass in Siege. The main Avengers are fighting Hydra or Hammer right now since Osborn called them out. Honestly, I like Osborn as a villain and the idea of the Dark Avengers but once this whole Avengers vs. Osborn thing is over, they should just throw Osborn's ass in a better jail so he doesn't break out...again....for the third time......since Siege ended.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gambit1024

@saoakden: I miss Osborn as a Spider-Man villain. It's ludicrous that a man like that can't be taken down by the likes of Iron Man, Red Hulk, Thor, Wolverine, or any of the other Avengers that are easily superior to him in regards to strength and power. I understand that all the guys I mentioned aren't New Avengers, but dammit, that whole team should be able to dispose of him fairly quickly.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By saoakden

@Gambit1024: Tony's armor is surperior to Osborn's, Red Hulk can crush him like a tin can, Thor could shock his ass, Wolverine is on the New Avengers, he left the main avengers because they already had a mutant on the team, Spidey left cause they have Spider-Woman. And Wolverine can tear him to shreads and Cap could show Osborn how he dealt with villains back in his day. I also miss Osborn being just Spider-Man's problem. Oh I just thought of Carnage, U.S.A., I Know a couple members from both teams are fighting Carnage but they got possesed or their ass kicked or something.

It seems once a villain gains enough power or depending on the writer, a villain from a popular charcter becomes everyones problem. Osborn and Carnage are good examples of that and anyone on his Dark Avengers team. I would love to see Skaar or The Sentry kick Osborn's ass. Sentry went nuts and Skaar did keep telling Osborn to not talk about his father. You know what, have the Main Avengers, the New Avengers, and Skaar kick Osborn's ass. Show no mercy!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I don't hate him, I just don't like the way he writes certain characters. I've always found his writing on Ultimate Spider-Man and I put up with his writing in the first New Avengers series (haven't read the second series) but I dropped his Avengers book after the first arc because his writing just felt out of character most of the time.

@Gambit1024 said:

b) Ever since he was the writer of The Avengers, just about everyone and anyone in the Marvel U that wears tights and calls themself a "superhero" is allowed to join the team.

Despite how many people feel about this, I actually have never had an issue with this that much. When it comes to team books, I only read ones that have characters I'm interested in or care about. If the current team roster of Avengers has really no characters on the team that I care for or want to pay $3.99 a month to read about then I won't read it, plain and simple. But that doesn't mean others don't like seeing their favorite superheroes being on the Avengers, while many people don't think characters like Spider-Man, Wolverine, Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc "deserve to be on the Avengers" because it doesn't "fit their character" I would like to point out that two of the Avengers FOUNDING members were none other than the Wasp and Ant-Man. While I personally like those characters, most people I've notice think Ant-Man is a lame character. Yet, people always complain that characters like Luke Cage, who would be much more useful on the Avengers than two characters who's powers are to literally shrink down to the size of insects, should not be on the Avengers because it doesn't "fit his character".

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By BatteredArmor

@iLLituracy said:

Because yo momma.

I was going to say because people hated Siege....But this is a much better answer

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By saoakden

It kinda sucks how they killed off Spider-Man in the ultimate universe, but I like the idea of a black Spider-Man. It adds more diversity to the comics. I just don't like how there's been a lot of bloodshed in the ultimate universe. I'll read them but in the back of my mind I always wonder why kill them off?

I like the idea of Spider-Man being on the Avengers team doesn't matter which team. To me its better to see him getting along with other heroes on some kind of bases other than the heroes appearing in his titles like Daredevil in one of the latest issues.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#19  Edited By Deadcool

Just Comic Vine hate him that much, most of the users here way too exaggerated.

In other websites they just don't like Bendis that much, the one thing they dislike from Bendis is his dialogue in teams, and the storylines in teams, Bendis is loved because individual characters like Daredevil, Spider-man even his Moon Knight, just ignore the Comic Vine users' opinion (or everyone else's opinion) and your life would be better.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
    TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I actually think Brian Michael Bendis can be a really talented and super fun writer. He is a little loose with cannon and does tend to favor the Avengers over everybody else. So I can understand why some people wouldn't like him. However I don't understand why a lot of people hate him. Siege was bad because he didn't have enough issues to develop a solid plot and bring catharsis to the story. The premise and intent behind it was good. Fear Itself was bad because Marvel in general was flailing trying to respond to the New 52 from D.C. His work on Ultimate Spider-Man is great. He is a talented writer who had a couple missteps.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @TheWitchingHour said:

I actually think Brian Michael Bendis can be a really talented and super fun writer. He is a little loose with cannon and does tend to favor the Avengers over everybody else. So I can understand why some people wouldn't like him. However I don't understand why a lot of people hate him. Siege was bad because he didn't have enough issues to develop a solid plot and bring catharsis to the story. The premise and intent behind it was good. Fear Itself was bad because Marvel in general was flailing trying to respond to the New 52 from D.C. His work on Ultimate Spider-Man is great. He is a talented writer who had a couple missteps.

Fear Itself would have happened with or without the New 52.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm not saying that he's a bad writer, though. I actually really enjoyed his run on Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man (up untill I stopped picking it up anyway, nothing against him, that stuff just gets expensive)

I'd just like to start reading Avengers again, because, frankly, that book (including New Avengers) has just gotten sadder and sadder. Siege was the last straw.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@Gambit1024 said:

I'd just like to start reading Avengers again, because, frankly, that book (including New Avengers) has just gotten sadder and sadder. Siege was the last straw.

The last straw for me was when Bucky (as Cap) was replaced by Red Hulk...yes, Red freakin' Hulk... -__-

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By saoakden

I have nothing against him either, I just wrote this blog to get a better understanding. I haven't read most of his work. I read the first six or seven Avengers and four or five New Avengers cause I'm broke and I bought them as a trade. I just usally wait til the trade or hardcover comes out to buy comics unless theirs an issue I really want like Justice League or Action Comics.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gambit1024

@War Killer said:

@Gambit1024 said:

The last straw for me was when Bucky (as Cap) was replaced by Red Hulk...yes, Red freakin' Hulk... -__-

Was that after his "death"?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarMachineMarkV said:

- After reading Powers, New Avenegers looks like NFL SuperPro

Oh snapple, I still have the first one in the plastic. I bet it's still worth five dollars.

:Slight edit:

TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@Vance Astro:

Sure, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that Marvel saw D.C.'s revamp plans coming down the pipes and had to react somehow. Doing a revamp of their own wouldn't only be a blatant ripoff of D.C. it would also be somewhat redundant seeing as how that was kind of the idea behind the Ultimate Universe. Fear Itself wouldn't have had to be as rushed or asinine as it was if Marvel didn't have a deadline for it. Fraction did great work on Iron Fist and Iron Man so we know he is capable of writing good material. Likewise Bendis has written some good stuff in the past as well. What happened was they needed to boost sales and killed off a couple of seemingly permanent fixtures in the Marvel U to boost them. Pulling the Serpent out of thin air to serve as a Devil Ex Machina wasn't intended to better the 616 story, only to come up with a way to kill Thor and Bucky Barnes. That's kind of as much change as they could muster without pulling a New 52. I'd be very interested in seeing the production schedule in comparison to D.C.'s relaunch because we may have had a much better story than Fear Itself.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By saoakden

I haven't read Fear Itself but it looks like an interesting story. It does suck that with all these big events theres like a bunch of tie-ins. Like Wolverine being in his own Fear Itself minis series, then Uncanny X-Force then some other ones that he was involved in. I did love the promo for Fear itslef 7 though.

No Caption Provided

I like this cover it looks cool. Sucks that most of them couldn't keep their Asgardian Weapons. I would have love to see Wolverine in his Asgardian look again.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

@Gambit1024 said:

@War Killer said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No, the reason he had to leave the team was because it was during the Trail of Captain America storyline, but it's the fact that he was Captain America and got replaced by Red Hulk of all characters, who not only was a villain but also had just attacked the White House before joining the team...

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gambit1024

@War Killer said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@War Killer said:

@Gambit1024 said:

No, the reason he had to leave the team was because it was during the Trail of Captain America storyline, but it's the fact that he was Captain America and got replaced by Red Hulk of all characters, who not only was a villain but also had just attacked the White House before joining the team...

LOL. This is the kind of stuff that caused me to drop the book.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By saoakden

@War Killer: lol Nice one letting the Red Hulk join after attacking the White House. and Poor Bucky, wasn't his fault for what he did as Winter Soldier.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By _Zombie_

@saoakden said:

I haven't read Fear Itself but it looks like an interesting story. It does suck that with all these big events theres like a bunch of tie-ins. Like Wolverine being in his own Fear Itself minis series, then Uncanny X-Force then some other ones that he was involved in. I did love the promo for Fear itslef 7 though.

No Caption Provided

I like this cover it looks cool. Sucks that most of them couldn't keep their Asgardian Weapons. I would have love to see Wolverine in his Asgardian look again.

I'd pass on it. Concept was decent, but it ranges from average to crap.

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Maniac2312

@Deadcool said:

Just Comic Vine hate him that much, most of the users here way too exaggerated.

In other websites they just don't like Bendis that much, the one thing they dislike from Bendis is his dialogue in teams, and the storylines in teams, Bendis is loved because individual characters like Daredevil, Spider-man even his Moon Knight, just ignore the Comic Vine users' opinion (or everyone else's opinion) and your life would be better.

It's because of his writing on Daredevil that I dislike his. I enjoyed DD till I tried reading his dialog, then I lost two-three years of DD. Now he's gone and put DD on the New Avengers, put him (barely) in one issue, forgot him in the next. I'm under the impression he's in the next few issues. .......see? I'm giving him a second chance..........

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gambit1024

@Maniac2312: His DD was alright. Certainly not the best, but it was better than whoever did Shadowland. But the New Avengers thing is just absurd. I think DD could be on a team like the Avenger, but he's gotta prove that he's a team player. Plus, either have him on the team or not. Don't put him on the team only to have him not appear in every issue.

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Maniac2312

@Gambit1024: Maybe if I stuck it out on DD I would have gotten used to his writing but when it take 2 minutes to get through one panel.......

But I totally agree with your call on appearances, as for being on the team, he's better as a guest, just look at the Knights, didn't last very long.....

Of course I don't mind him having membership, just don't lead us to believe he'll be in every issue.....maybe it should just be an "honorary" membership and just bring him in when he can add something to the fight.

....I could go on spouting but then it'll just become rambling and no one like hearing that.......

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gambit1024

@Maniac2312: Totally understood. I think an honorary membership would be the best thing for him (and quite a few other characters Bendis let on the team).

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CATPANEXE

@TheWitchingHour: Why would Marvel need to compete with an effort made to save a company from it's bottom falling out, one that cost them a gross amount of money and failed? Would you need to compete with my desperate attempt to survive despondency? DC didn't spontaneously destroy every single long time fan favorite character and comic because they were being savvy, they did it because the had to since the bottom feel out and they were about to go under if they didn't. What proceeded is a small number of issue ones made record numbers through Diamond, but they ended up losing almost the entirety of the investment they put in initially in their Hail Mary Pass. I doubt Marvel felt pressured by something like that. The amount of titles they can still afford to put out, and the fact that they didn't have to revamp their entire line is a testament to that.

TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@CATPANEXE:

I'd be interested in seeing where you're getting the numbers on the investment in the New 52. And saying that D.C. turned away every single long time fan is inappropriate hyperbole seeing as how D.C. has made a habit throughout it's existence of rebooting their universe. And I think we need to treat these cases less as D.C. versus Marvel and more as Time Warner vs Disney (their parent companies). They are the ones who ultimately make the financial call and have been prone to knee jerk reactions in the past. And both companies have sources of information within competing entertainment divisions to know who is making what and when it's gonna come out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.