Follow

Brian Azzarello

Person » Brian Azzarello is credited in 838 issues.

Brian Azzarello is an American writer who has written mostly for DC Comics/Vertigo, and is most notable for writing 100 Bullets, Batman and Hellblazer. He also worked as an editor at Comico. Azzarello is known primarily as a crime and noir writer.

Interview: Brian Azzarello Talks 100 BULLETS: BROTHER LONO

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

It's not often we see creative teams stick together for extremely long runs these days. It's even rarer when they stick together for 100 issues. Next month we'll see the return of 100 BULLETS. Sort of. Brian Azzarello, Eduardo Risso, Trish Mulvihill, Clem Robins and Dave Johnson are all back for an eight-issue miniseries focusing on one of the characters from the series - Lono.

We had the chance to talk to Brian to see what we could find out about the series.

No Caption Provided

CV: Did you approach Vertigo about doing a mini or did they approach you?

Brian Azzarello: Kind of both actually. They approached me about doing something for Vertigo's twentieth anniversary. At the time, Eduardo [Risso] and I had been discussing this book here and the synchronicity was there.

CV: Was it easy just jumping back into this world after a few years, getting the gang back together?

BA: Oh geezus man, it was too easy. [laughter] Way too easy, writing this kind of stuff.

CV: Aside from Lono, will there be another familiar characters?

BA: No. There's new characters. It's Lono interacting with an entirely new cast.

No Caption Provided

CV: Lono's fate was sort of left open to interpretation after getting shot and falling out a window. What made you decide to finally clarify that he survived?

BA: I thought it was pretty clear that he did. [laughter] He definitely made it 'away.' What happened after that, that was open to interpretation. He wasn't there. He felt out the window. Did he just crawl away someplace and die? Or did he actually survive? He survived.

CV: The solicit mentions Lono working "on the side of the angels" in Mexico. Is he having a change of heart or is something else going to be going on?

BA: Well, I don't put too much into solicitations anyway but if it says he's working on the "side of the angels," doesn't that sound like he's had a change of heart?

CV: Yeah, but there could be something else going on.

BA: It's been four years since we've seen that character last. A lot can happen in four years.

CV: So it will be like four years has passed in the comic?

BA: Yeah. Four years later.

No Caption Provided

CV: Have you considered other 100 BULLETS series in the future, maybe a prequel with the Minutemen?

BA: Hmm, let me finish this one first. [laughter] Have we considered it? Sure, we've considered it. I'm not going to say, "Yes, we're going to do another one." Let's see how this one does.

CV: Well, have you at least considered it - tossed the idea around?

BA: Oh yeah, we've tossed the idea around. We toss a lot of things around. Right now, this is the one we're focusing on.

CV: How accessible will the miniseries be to readers that haven't read or finished the original run of 100 BULLETS?

BA: Absolutely accessible. You don't even have to know anything about that other book we wrote. This is an entirely different animal. There's no mention of any of the events from 100 BULLETS at all.

CV: This is probably the question you don't want to hear but any updates on the 100 Bullets show at Showtime?

BA: I can't do an interview without hearing that question.

CV: I gotta ask! People wanna know!

BA: I know they wanna know. I wish I had a good answer for you but I don't. It's still up in the air. Maybe if they got me more involved I'd be able to give you a really definitive answer.

CV: Maybe if they hear that in every single interview, people are asking…

BA: I know. I did a convention this passed weekend. Everybody that came up for a signature asked me about that. It almost got to the point where I just wanted to put a sign on the table that said, "Here's the update on the 100 BULLETS television series: " And it'd just be blank.

[laughter]

No Caption Provided

CV: Do you have any other Vertigo or DC projects being announced soon? I know if you do, you probably can't mention anything but...

BA: Then why would you ask me that?

[laughter]

BA: There's always something. Will I be doing something else? Sure. Are we talking about it? Yes. Is there anything definite? Not yet.

CV: Okay, that's good enough.

BA: You know, I have a mortgage. I gotta keep working, you know?

CV: Yeah. And we want you to keep working. Thanks a lot. We're all excited about this.

BA: It's really something else. I was doing corrections on the third issue this morning and I was like, "Wow! What are we creating here?" This is different. This is not what you expect.

CV: That's great.

BA: Being able to write this, it's exciting for all of us. I hope they excitement translates.

CV: Well we're excited so I'm sure it's all in safe hands with you guys.

BA: Groovy man.

100 BULLETS: BROTHER LONO #1 is on sale June 19, 2013. Make sure you pick it up and read 100 BULLETS if you haven't already!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Azzarello seems so awkward to interview sometimes ahaha.

K3vinkha0S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I love me some Vertigo

OldManDuncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By OldManDuncan

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

@mucklefluga: It's actually pretty great. There was a lot of laughing.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Ha those are some of the greatest covers I'v ever seen.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yes!

BB

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Mucklefluga

@g_man said:

@mucklefluga: It's actually pretty great. There was a lot of laughing.

Oh right, that's cool. I guess you do these over the phone/skype then?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: So good it deserves a avatar change

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Very few can match Dave's covers and bah, I was going to use that as an avatar.

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Very few can match Dave's covers and bah, I was going to use that as an avatar.

BB

Haha to slow Billy boy

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Never read 100 Bullets though I've heard about it. I know Azzarello from his Superman, Joker, Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman stuff.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Billy Batson

@jonny_anonymous:

Well mine looks better :p

Never read 100 Bullets though I've heard about it. I know Azzarello from his Superman, Joker, Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman stuff.

It's his magnum opus.

BB

kpung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to read this.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By SavageDragon

@g_man I just got to have a little Q&A session with Brian too. At Big WOW Comics Fest last week in San Jose I went to the panel with him and Lee Bermejo and the moderator never showed up so everyone was like......ok what now? So it was an hour long Question and answer session, I was in the front row and they answered like 6 of my questions. It was so awesome dude. Brian and Lee were both really cool and insightful but realistic and funny. It was cool.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@billy_batson: I asked things like how much lee-way does he give his artist on scripting action scenes, how did him and risso come up with charachter designs, how much did risso know about the story, lee bermejo feel like nolan stole his joker design, did brian azzarello feel like wonder womans history was good enough to keep or had any place in influencing his story, how does he feel about marvel charchters, and does he have problems with his DC editorial staff or had any problems with them in the past or at Vertigo. Stuff like that, it was cool felt like a reporter/journalist being able to ask him all that when he wa sup on teh stage.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH YEAH! I totally needed a reason to work my way through those 100 issues again and now I have just that! Cannot wait for Azzarello to be back at Vertigo! It hasn't been the same the last few years.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By Queso6p4

It took me a few issues to get into 100 Bullets but once I was it was a very rewarding read. I'll definitely have to check this out.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Billy Batson

OH YEAH! I totally needed a reason to work my way through those 100 issues again and now I have just that! Cannot wait for Azzarello to be back at Vertigo! It hasn't been the same the last few years.

He did a mini, Spaceman, just last year.

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@billy_batson: I asked things like how much lee-way does he give his artist on scripting action scenes, how did him and risso come up with charachter designs, how much did risso know about the story, lee bermejo feel like nolan stole his joker design, did brian azzarello feel like wonder womans history was good enough to keep or had any place in influencing his story, how does he feel about marvel charchters, and does he have problems with his DC editorial staff or had any problems with them in the past or at Vertigo. Stuff like that, it was cool felt like a reporter/journalist being able to ask him all that when he wa sup on teh stage.

Answers dude, ANSWERS?

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Billy_Batson

Yeah, I heard that. Its sitting in my amazon wishlist since then, but I heard mixed things about it. Did you like it? How does it compare to other Azzarello stuff?

Avatar image for supermanjohnathankentjr
    SupermanJohnathanKentJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES! A sequel to my favorite comic book series starring my favorite character from the series. Plus a possible prequel series. I want to seemore Wylie Times.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Oh yes, yes yes yes! Gawd yes I can't wait for this! So darn impatient now.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Billy_Batson

Yeah, I heard that. Its sitting in my amazon wishlist since then, but I heard mixed things about it. Did you like it? How does it compare to other Azzarello stuff?

I can't say since I haven't read it yet but I bought the deluxe edition a few weeks back.

YES! A sequel to my favorite comic book series starring my favorite character from the series. Plus a possible prequel series. I want to seemore Wylie Times.

It's a spin-off not a sequel >:p

BB

Avatar image for supermanjohnathankentjr
    SupermanJohnathanKentJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.