Follow

Brian Azzarello

Person » Brian Azzarello is credited in 838 issues.

Brian Azzarello is an American writer who has written mostly for DC Comics/Vertigo, and is most notable for writing 100 Bullets, Batman and Hellblazer. He also worked as an editor at Comico. Azzarello is known primarily as a crime and noir writer.

Brian Azzarello is Overrated

dannymalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By dannymalt

Brian Azzarello is one of the biggest names in comics today, and he gets tons of work, and is put on a quite a few high profile books. For example he recently landed the gig to write both Rorschach and the Comedian books for the Watchmen Prequels. I've read a lot of his stuff. And you know what, nothing he's written I have ever found to be that good. I don't know how he got so big.

100 Bullets is Azzarello's biggest claim to fame. I read the whole series, I really enjoyed the first 25 issues or so, but I struggled to get through the last 75. Finally when I did finish the series it was highly unsatisfactory and convoluted.

Then one of Azzarello's other most popular comics was his Joker Graphic Novel. Which was only okay. It came off as a Heath Ledger Dark Knight cash-in, and made the Joker some sort of gangster mafioso type character instead of the Joker character we know.

Then there was Spaceman, which I and a lot of people found awful.

His run on Wonder Woman is getting decent reviews, but I find it a little confusing and hard to follow.

I don't know. I'm just getting sick of all the praise he gets. And want it to be known, that not everyone thinks he's awesome, and in many ways he is overrated and gets more work than he should.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Deranged Midget

I really like his run on Superman: For Tomorrow. Couldn't really care less about anything else.

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RyuHayabusa

You have no idea what you are talking about.

If you think he is overrated then its your opinion.

What is confusing about Brian's Wonder Woman?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

Azzarello said in an interview that the resemblance of his Joker to The Dark Knight's Joker was complete coincidence.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

I think he's pretty good and rated about where he should be.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Afro_Warrior

Burn the heathen!

No but seriously, i think Azzarello is usually treated with a suitable amount of acclaim. I really enjoyed his Superman: For Tomorrow, thought his Batman Knight of Vengeance was a well written twist on the Batman mythology and he's managed to actually get me interested in Wonder Woman again. Personally, i think he's great.

However i do understand some of the criticisms he gets, his current Wonder Woman run for example, is very decompressed and at times assumes the reader will be more than happy to fill in the gaps that he leaves in the narrative. While he's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, i don't believe he has entered the realm of overrated.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Billy Batson

I strognly disagree.

1. I'm a big fan of his. I've read a good portion of his stuff. He might be my favorite writer or at least in the top 5.

2. You didn't like 100 Bullets? :o It's my favorite series of all time and one of the best runs in comics. It got better after every issue. I should slap everyone who hates the series. That would be less than ten people.

3. His Joker is my favorite Joker story. Screw The Killing Joke. It had nothing to do with the movie IIRC from an interview.

4. Just like aztek said it's not finished yet so you can't really say.

5. I still haven't read his Wonder Woman but he's the only reason I'm going to get it.

6. Just like Afro_Warrior said his not entered in the realm of overrating like Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Brian Bendis, Mark Millar etc. I find him to be in the same category as Peter Milligan, Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, all who are better than the previously mentioned.

@PowerHerc said:

I think he's pretty good and rated about where he should be.

He should be rated higher :p

@aztek_the_lost said:

Haven't read much of his other stuff personally.

You should :p

BB

dannymalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By dannymalt

I seemed to have stirred up quite the ruckus with my overrated comments. I just want to be clear, I'm not calling him bad, I just think he is average.

And I may be in the minority on this but I thought 100 Bullets was really good in the beginning, but I felt I had to start taking notes to follow what was going on, and in the end was disappointed with the series. Spaceman I really disliked first issue, don't really want to continue it.

His Wonder Woman run is going okay. Joker was okay. Lex Luther Man of Steel was okay. All kind of average. Not amazing.

I forgot about this. Flashpoint: Batman: Knight of Vengeance. That I really enjoyed.

Haven't read Hellblazer, El Diablo or Jonny Double, or anything else by him.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @dannymalt: I disagree and also Joker was written before Dark Knight so your wrong about it being a cash in.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

@dannymalt: I hated Batman Broken City. The world's greatest detective didn't actually detect. He ran around the city, getting beaten up by a little girl and was out-witted by Killer Croc. It was a crock alright.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

@spiderbat87:

Didn't Joker come out in October and TDK in summer though?
    BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Billy Batson said:

@spiderbat87:

Didn't Joker come out in October and TDK in summer though?
    BB

yea it should have said written before
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By geraldthesloth

Broken City was good. 

100 Bullets is one of the best series I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Saren

Jesus Christ, 100 Bullets was unsatisfactory? It was a Vertigo series! Written by Brian Azzarello!

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

100 Bullets was good. Joker was great. 

For Tomorrow is the worst Superman comic ever written, it made Grounded look well-plotted.   

He's just decent. He's not the best, but he's not the worst either. 

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By RoboShark

No one else could make me attempt a Wonder Woman book outside of JL.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I read his Joker book a long time ago before I really know who he was. All I really remember is that I didn't like the artwork. The only work of his I'm really familiar with is Wonder Woman which I think is extremely overrated.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: That looks better then I remember. It's possible I mixed up his comic with someone else's Joker comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.