Follow

Bob Burden

Person » Bob Burden is credited in 94 issues.

Comic book writer/artist and internet sensation!

Mystery Men: Bob Burden vs. Marvel

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By tonis

It seems Marvel has been very sneaky these days in trying to secure trademarks for names. You may have heard how Disney tried to trademark 'Seal Team Six' after the announcement of Osama Bin Ladens death, which they eventually retracted due to pressure from the Department of Defense. Another blatant move they've made was to 'snipe' the trademark to the name 'Mystery Men' on August 5th 2009, immediately upon it expiring from Universal Studios.

The statement from Marvel went like this:

"Marvel representatives tell me that there was no intention to “snipe” a trademark and that the timing was purely coincidental. That the writer, David Liss, asked if the name was available, and it was. And that the whole series was completed before the name was publically announced."

Fans of the REAL Mystery Men will realize immediately that this is not the comic they know and love but rather a poor attempt to use a writers concepts without maintaining any creative integrity to the original or the characters.

Bob Burden has been pursuing this matter since Marvel announced their plans and Bleeding Cool has an excellent interview with the creator that you can read HERE.

Take a look at the interview for yourselves and tell us what you think. Was it merely 'coincidence' as Marvel states or do you think their statement is as transparent as their actions appear to have been?

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @tonis:  

Thanks for posting this, Tonis! 

I'll ring up Bob and tell him. And I do mean Bob Burden...not some pulp artist's son who I confused him with. XD
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By IrishX
    @tonis said:

Fans of the REAL Mystery Men will realize immediately that this is not the comic they know and love but rather a poor attempt to use a writers concepts without maintaining any creative integrity to the original or the characters.

The "real" Mystery Men.... what a joke.  

Yes, I do believe it was a coincidence. I don't believe in some BS conspiracy that Marvel wanted to  steal a name associated with such lame characters like Mr. Furious.
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tonis

@IrishX said:

@tonis said:

The "real" Mystery Men.... what a joke. Yes, I do believe it was a coincidence. I don't believe in some BS conspiracy that Marvel wanted to steal a name associated with such lame characters like Mr. Furious.

The fact they were ready the day it became available, is in itself enough proof they planned to take the name as soon as they could, hoping they were quicker than anyone else who would lay claim. It's not like the trademark sat around in public domain for a while and they decided afterwards to go the route they did. Either way, the statement itself is really the BS, they shouldn't think people are that stupid that they'd believe they did anything they did without knowing what they were doing beforehand.

You don't have to like the characters, or think their cool but if someday in the future if the ones you do like have the same kind of crap happening to them you'll at least know where and how this trend has been developing.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Roxanne Starr

Creative theft is an epidemic right now. Why even bother trying to make a living as a creator...right?

What about SpongeBob Squarepants? 

Flaming Carrot fans will remember Sponge Boy from the 1980's...decades before SpongeBob Squarepants ever even came off the drawing board.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @IrishX said:

@tonis said:

The "real" Mystery Men.... what a joke.    Yes, I do believe it was a coincidence. I don't believe in some BS conspiracy that Marvel wanted to  steal a name associated with such lame characters like Mr. Furious.
    UT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO. BS Conspiracy?? Plasmer anyone? Marvel and DC are that petty. They can add Burden to the list with Moore, Miller, Kirby, Shooter, Siegal & Shuster, and the legions of other creators these two companies have conspired to intellectually rape through the decades. "Mystery-Men ©"(2011 Marvel comics) is the term used to describe early heroes during the transition from pulps to "superheroes "(2011 Marvel/DC comics) A$$holes. Bob Burden slept and these scumbags were waiting to pounce. I am a writer/artist myself, I do not share my creations, concepts, or any aspect of my intellectual properties here for this very reason. Some talent-less maggot is always waiting to lay claim to the next man's ideas. screw marvel.  

The One and Only MysteryMen 
    The One and Only MysteryMen 
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Roxanne Starr said:

Creative theft is an epidemic right now. Why even bother trying to make a living as a creator...right?

What about SpongeBob Squarepants? 

Flaming Carrot fans will remember Sponge Boy from the 1980's...decades before SpongeBob Squarepants ever even came off the drawing board.

I'd be pissed too. 
    Dave Sim type irritable.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Roxanne Starr:  
    precisely.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone:  

So far there has only been one Marvel person on this thread defending Marvel. Where are all the rest? 

This site is crawling with Marvel people. I want to see some debating here.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Roxanne Starr:  
    I hope the Amateur Artist/Writers on the Vine at least take note. Protect your creations folks. They will use your talent as a expendable commodity then drain you and discard you, If you allow it they will take and prop up your creation like a zombie  
    and drain it still even once you are gone.
    Vampires! 
    My kind of people! 
    lol.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone:  

Tonis says that he's a vampire and he wrote the OP! 

Uh oh...vampires devouring their own. Tsk, tsk, tsk...
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tonis

@turoksonofstone: @Roxanne Starr said:

@turoksonofstone:

Tonis says that he's a vampire and he wrote the OP! Uh oh...vampires devouring their own. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

lol, all this vampire on vampire violence is gonna be the death of me XD

Very good points on all the creators you listed Turok, I've hated seeing how all of them have been treated by the publishers over the years. Kirby especially hit home for me when in the 80's Eclipse started putting the ads in the back of their books that asked 'What about Jack' and it really opened my eyes to the slap in the face creators get for their work sometimes.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @tonis:  

I guess this thread is a runaway WIN for Bob. Only one Marvel supporter showed up and you and Turok chased him away...QUICKLY!!! 

BTW (Hi, Bob, I know you are lurking here), Grand Total on sales of MM #1 at Oxford Comics since Wednesday [drumroll]...12 copies!
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turoksonofstone
    No Caption Provided
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By IrishX
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    I guess this thread is a runaway WIN for Bob. Only one Marvel supporter showed up and you and Turok chased him away...QUICKLY!!!  
    Are you serious with this? Nobody chased anybody away as I stated my opinion and felt it was enough. Thanks for trying to label me and goad me into your so needed debate though. So far I only see three people here caring about this so what does that tell you?

I don't believe that Marvel had any malicious intent to steal anything here but if they did then I guess that sucks but it doesn't take anything away from what so far is a great looking series. The only thing that's the same is the title and trust me I wish they had nothing to do with that garbage Ben Stiller movie.... and yes I will not be continuing on about this.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @IrishX said:
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    Are you serious with this? Nobody chased anybody away as I stated my opinion and felt it was enough. Thanks for trying to label me and goad me into your so needed debate though. So far I only see three people here caring about this so what does that tell you? I don't believe that Marvel had any malicious intent to steal anything here but if they did then I guess that sucks but it doesn't take anything away from what so far is a great looking series. The only thing that's the same is the title and trust me I wish they had nothing to do with that garbage Ben Stiller movie.... and yes I will not be continuing on about this.
    Meh.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@IrishX
    Oh yeah, Mystery Men #1 is great. 

That's why customers are breaking down the doors of comic book stores to buy it. :b 

That comic is so mind-numbingly boring that I feel asleep when Alice Starr's body was found...on a  Pentacle no less! 

Could anything be more cliched?
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone@tonis:  

Seems the print run on MM #1 did not go smoothly.  There was an ink problem that rendered a batch of the comics with several pages that were unreadable. Whether Diamond will replace the bad copies or not is questionable. 

Karma perhaps?
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Roxanne Starr:  
    Karma for sure. 
    Took a look at Marvel's "MysteryMen" ....., "Who are the Mysterymen?" they really did steal his Tag line!!! Can't he sue over that??? The audacity of these pricks never ceases to amaze me. So Pulp fan's cannot refer to non-powered pulp 
    heroes as "Mysterymen" anymore? Marvel sucks. They should have finished the twelve before they decided to expand continuity back to the era before comics. Bleh.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone:  

Bob has a database of a couple thousand fans or so who he will link to this thread. 

You're going to be famous dude!  :-)  Pokerface too.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turoksonofstone

"BC: Have you heard of any other properties that have been hit?

BB: No. Just me, and the Seals. I don’t know what will happen. And it’s ironic. See, this whole medium is about heroes doing good things and fighting for the little guy, fighting tyranny and evil. But I don’t know if the creators and fans want to stand up, to be heroes themselves, or do they just want to read about it. What do you think?"

Seems so far...They just want to read about it... : ( 
    No Caption Provided
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone:  

I met Richard Pryor a few times in New York back in the early 70's through Miles Davis who was a neighbor and kind of a "friend" of mine...I use the term loosely. 

Anyway, I think I may have crossed paths with Pryor about a half a dozen times, and in real life...I can't remember him ever saying anything funny.
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tonis

@IrishX said:

@Roxanne Starr said:
    Are you serious with this? Nobody chased anybody away as I stated my opinion and felt it was enough. Thanks for trying to label me and goad me into your so needed debate though. So far I only see three people here caring about this so what does that tell you? I don't believe that Marvel had any malicious intent to steal anything here but if they did then I guess that sucks but it doesn't take anything away from what so far is a great looking series. The only thing that's the same is the title and trust me I wish they had nothing to do with that garbage Ben Stiller movie.... and yes I will not be continuing on about this.

I don't think anyones trying to chase anyone off, definitely not me at least. Your free to have any opinion and state it and it helps on both sides of a debate in understanding things ;)

I'd just like to clarify my thoughts on some things. This isn't about the 'movie' and the characters used there, at least for me. That wasn't very faithful to the stories or characters either. If that's been your only exposure to the Mystery Men I suppose I can understand your feelings about the whole thing.

This is about the books, where they were REALLY created, and just acknowledging the REAL creators of it.

I'm not saying Marvel's book automatically sucks (haven't read it) because of this. Sure it can be a great series if it's written well. However the approach they took, and the insulting of comic fans intelligence on the matter is an issue to me. It's really about how they've handled things.

It's not a 'conspiracy', it's just dishonesty at a professional level that really shouldn't exist. They're acting more like politicians or lawyers than publishers. We've got enough of that crap in our government and legal system, we don't need it in our comics.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @IrishX:  

What Tonis said. 

I tend to be very brash when I'm online. Tonis is better at internet etiquette.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    @IrishX:   What Tonis said.  I tend to be very brash when I'm online. Tonis is better at internet etiquette.
    You knew Miles Davis?????
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone said:
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    @IrishX:   What Tonis said.  I tend to be very brash when I'm online. Tonis is better at internet etiquette.
    Yes I did. I had a friend who was a musician and Miles was always inviting local musicians to his townhouse to jam.
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    @turoksonofstone said:
    @Roxanne Starr said:
    Yes I did. I had a friend who was a musician and Miles was always inviting local musicians to his townhouse to jam.
    Lucky, Lucky, Lady.
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone

Miles had a genius that could never truly be duplicated...

...but I don't think I'm all that lucky. I was just working on the cover for "All Things Poker" and *poof* it disappeared. Gone...I have to start over. :(

Miles is haunting me from the grave. LOL!!!
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Roxanne Starr:  
    lol, I hope not!
    Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    @turoksonofstone

He was a piece of work. But I don't think the thought of ME was something he took to his grave.

Richard Pryor OTOH...I'm not so sure about. XD
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Roxanne Starr

Poor turok. :(

He's gone now and missing out on all the fun. :D

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Roxanne Starr
    FLIP FLAP FLOP...He's alive!!!................FINALLY!
    FLIP FLAP FLOP...He's alive!!!................FINALLY!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.