thearmandoshow's Blue Beetle #1 - Metamorphosis: Part One review

Avatar image for thearmandoshow

Spanglish.

Being an American of Puerto Rican AND Mexican descent, I have to say, the Spanglish kills this series for me. I know HEAPS of Latinos who do NOT speak that way, including myself and everyone in my family. They either speak in English or they speak in Spanish. I've never gotten the fascination with "Spanglish" in the entertainment world when it comes to the portrayal of Latino characters.

I find it a forced reminder of what the characters ethnicity is and it comes off bogus.

The only positive thing for me in this book was the art. Too bad it was surrounded with forced cliche'd banter and characters. Not every Latino is a version of a family member on the George Lopez show.

And I drive a KIA. I know it's hard to believe that I don't drive a convertible Low Rider but "hijo de la chingada" it's true Vato! Orale!!

Other reviews for Blue Beetle #1 - Metamorphosis: Part One

Oh... My... :D 0

THIS IS MY FAVORITE OF THE NEW 52 SO FAR AND I DOUBT IT CAN BE PASSED!!!Seriously, Blue Beetle is my favorite superhero and I was not disappointed one bit!The GoodWe start off with a brief history of the Reach and the involvement of the Green Lanterns and seeing the Reach in action was awesome! They were fierce warriors that conquered with ease and this makes me excited about their future with Jaime. We got to see Jaime's life with his friends Brenda and Paco and going through what a lot of skin...

A fun and solid start 0

Blue Beetle was never a character I knew a lot about so in a way I'm the type of reader this new #1 was for. In almost every way this issue was written as an origin story and introduction to the new Blue Beetle. There's a handy prologue which gives us a look at the history of Scarab Khaji-Da and how it arrived on earth, an introduction to Jaime, the key modern day character, and an action sequence that leads to him becoming the Blue Beetle. It all works together fairly well and succeeds conside...