Proper Japanese Title: ブリーチ (Burīchi)
Translated into English as Bleach by Viz.
Originally serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, Tite Kubo's second and most popular manga, BLEACH (named after the debut studio album of the band Nirvana), began in August 2001, and follows the adventures of Ichigo Kurosaki who obtains the powers of the Shinigami (Death Gods) after meeting one of them, Rukia Kuchiki. Volumes of the manga have sold more than 82 million copies in Japan, and it is one of the best-selling manga in the United States. The anime adaptation has been similarly received; it was rated as the fourth most popular anime television series in Japan in 2006 and held a position among the top ten anime in the United States from 2006 to 2008.
The story proceeds through somewhat slow paced and decompressed story arcs, major epics subsequently divided in minor sub-arcs. The major storylines are:
- The Death & The Strawberry (#1 to #7) an introduction on the world of Bleach.
- The Soul Society Conspiracy (#8 to #20)
- The Arrancar Saga (#21 to #48)
- Tale of the Lost Agent (#49 to #54)
- The Thousand-Year Blood War (#55 to #74) the final arc of the manga.