Follow

Blade

Character » Blade appears in 744 issues.

A human-vampire hybrid with all the strengths but none of the weaknesses of a traditional vampire, Blade has dedicated his life to destroying the occult world of vampires and all who associate with them.

Official Blade The Vampire Hunter Thread

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Ok so since Marvel is giving Blade some shine these days with the Mighty Avengers and the Avengers of the Supernatural I thought I'd make a thread where we can discuss anything Blade related be it comics, movies, tv shows or games.

No Caption Provided

I'll kick things off with this interview Al Ewing just did on CBR:

CBR News: Now that Blade's identity as Ronin has been officially revealed, let's talk a little bit about his inclusion in the group. What made you want to bring Blade into the book? And why did you initially want to keep his identity a secret?

Al Ewing: Bringing in a new Ronin -- and having it be Blade -- was Tom [Brevoort's] idea, originally, and it immediately suggested a whole bunch of story possibilities. Why exactly was Blade running around in a Ronin outfit? Why would he need to hide his face -- and from who? One of the nice things about Blade is that he brings in this whole supernatural dimension to the book, this hidden world of vampires and otherworldly creatures, so immediately we had a massive Big Bad for the first year, some scary occult force that even Blade had to hide from. It gave a shape to the whole first year.

Also -- I love mysteries! There's not much that's more fun for me than having a mystery character that the reader has to work out. It was great fun watching readers make guesses and consider the possibilities, although a few people guessed who it was from that first interaction with Monica. Next time, I'll have to make it harder!

We readers know Ronin is Blade and two other members of the Mighty Avengers, Spectrum and Luke Cage, know who he is. Do any other members, like the Blue Marvel, suspect that Ronin is Blade? And will the rest of the team learn of his identity soon?

It's kind of an open secret -- it's more of a thing for the readers to puzzle over than the characters. Blue Marvel would have worked it out very quickly if they'd had more interactions, I'm sure. And we're about to have the lid blown off that entire plotline, so, very soon now, the whole team is going to know everything there is to know -- and a few things they'll wish they didn't.

Blade has the tendency to come off as a bit of a loner, but it's interesting to note that he seems to work with teams just as much as he works solo, if not more. He's been a part of Quincy Harker's group of vampire hunters, he worked with the Nightstalkers, was an agent of MI:13, is a member of the Mighty Avengers and we'll soon find out that he was a part of Jim Lucas' secret team in the '70s. What do teams mean to Blade? Why do you think he often ends up joining forces with other people?

Teams are useful. Blade is a very practical man -- he's used to working alone, but if help comes along and that help is competent and trustworthy, he's not above joining forces. And he's not made of stone -- Blade's incredibly committed to his vocation, but he's a lot more rounded and human than he might let on, as we saw in "MI:13." Personally, I'm slightly distrustful of a character who won't accept useful help when it's offered -- "NO! I must work ALONE! Yes, ALONE! SO ALONE!" It reeks of insecurity, and Blade is too cool for that nonsense.

After facing Blade's problems in the present, "Mighty Avengers" explores his "Original Sin" adventures in the 1970s Marvel U in your upcoming "Original Sin" tie-in, we'll find out more about Blade's activities with Jim Lucas' team in the '70s. What kind of guy was Blade back then? And in terms of Marvel's sliding time scale, do Blade's activities in the '70s take place before his adventures in "Tomb of Dracula?"

Blade was -- a bit less mellow than he is now. More prone to stake first and ask questions later. There were less superheroes around back then, so he might have felt more alone in the war against evil than he does now.

The "Tomb Of Dracula" timeline question is a good one! I've a feeling there weren't so many crossovers with the modern Marvel Universe, so it might be possible for them to happen at roughly the same time, but it's probably easier to assume that this adventure happens beforehand. I'll leave that question to the experts!

What do you feel artist Greg Land brings to both the past and present day incarnations of Blade? What do you enjoy most about his depictions of the character?

He's very cool. His trench-coated Ronin is awesome, his Blade is a whirlwind of action and while I've yet to see pages with '70s Blade, I have no doubt things will continue in that vein. Even in Blade's Spider-Hero guise, Greg made the character a badass -- physically imposing and intimidating, despite the goofy knock-off costume.

Now that we know Blade is a part of "Mighty Avengers" what can fans of the character expect from his role in the series?

Well, Blade is currently holding the McGuffin -- the object everybody wants -- and as we'll see in upcoming issues, that puts him in quite a dangerous position. Not to mention that he might be a McGuffin in his own right. So Blade fans will see him right in the middle of things, although maybe not always in a way that they'd like. Put it this way -- even the coolest character has to go through the wringer sometimes. And it's Blade's turn.

I want quickly say at the end here that it's fantastic seeing word of mouth spread on "Mighty Avengers" -- this is a title I'm very passionate about and one that's only going to get more intense as we head towards the end of the first year of stories, and it's great to see the fans responding so positively to that. Thanks, everyone!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Ewing Unmasks "Mighty Avengers'" Ronin, Uncovers his "Original Sin" - Comic Book Resources

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

@jonny_anonymous: I read that this morning. I really hope he does a solo on Blade someday

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@daredevil21134: I hope it leads to that. What do you think about a Blade redesign?

Also this picture is bad ass

No Caption Provided

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: @kgb725: Haha we could just call it a multipack to be safe. So I'm gonna watch a few episode of the Blade TV show tonight since I never actually watched it. What should I be expecting?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never really found Blade to be interesting. Then again, I haven't really read much of him outside of Ultimate Comics and Mighty Avengers. I think it's the vampires.

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By phantom1527

I'm also glad they gave him his hair back in Mighty Avengers. But I really hope he gets a solo series following Mighty Avengers where they let him fight ALL supernatural foes. And I like the personality they've given him so far in Mighty Avengers. He's pretty calm and collected but will let out a Wesley Snipes-esque curse every once in a while. I'd actually also like to see him get incorporate some new weapons. Obviously the sword, stakes and glaive are staples, but I'd love to see him carry weapons that will kill things other than vampires. Also great idea making this post and thanks for tagging me Jonny_Anonymous

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kidchipotle

@jonny_anonymous: Eh. Maybe my opinion will change over the course of MA but as of now he's just eeeehhhhh to me.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: @kgb725: Haha we could just call it a multipack to be safe. So I'm gonna watch a few episode of the Blade TV show tonight since I never actually watched it. What should I be expecting?

I loved the tv series. I think Sticky Fingaz grew as an actor in the later episodes. I loved shin,he reminded of Scud

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I just watched some of the pilot and they name dropped Moon Knight LOL I was going to watch all of it but it's pretty long and it's getting late.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By daredevil21134

@jonny_anonymous said:

@daredevil21134: I just watched some of the pilot and they name dropped Moon Knight LOL I was going to watch all of it but it's pretty long and it's getting late.

I like it a lot

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlackWind

Ewing definitely seems to get Blade. I also feel that in spite of preferring to do things alone, if good help can be acquired, it should be no hard decision if he should get it or not.

BTW, I had a daydream Blade was carrying anti magic daggers earlier today.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@blackwind: I always liked the idea that Blade's tattoos would be something kind of protective runes.

I was thinking, Blade really is one of the most efficient characters in Marvel. He has a goal and he sticks to it rigidly, he has super strength, speed and senses but he's also trained to become a master martial artist, a master swordsman and a weapons master. Most characters would only focus on one of these skills like just using there power or just using martial arts or just using guns but Blade combines all of them. Also like Ewing said he knows when he needs help to get a job done an then afterwords he leaves so it didn't get more complicated than it needs to be.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phantom1527: @daredevil21134: @jonny_anonymous: How do people feel on Blade killing humans?

We all know Blade tends to go after monsters, not trying to advocate him going after people on the regular or anything. But personally I don't think he is against offing humans who sell humanity out to the occult, get in too deep with magic thinking it is a toy, or other such things.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: Sure, I have no problem with that. Just like Blade killing familiars in the movies. I could see Blade hunting down cultists and stuff that worship stuff like the Darkhold and Shuma Gorath

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: Sure, I have no problem with that. Just like Blade killing familiars in the movies. I could see Blade hunting down cultists and stuff that worship stuff like the Darkhold and Shuma Gorath

I would dig that

phantom1527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@blackwind: Blade has been portrayed as a "by any means necessary" type of guy, so if killing humans (who aren't innocent) is what he has to do, I'd be more than okay with it. It would fit his character

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: Blade has been portrayed as a "by any means necessary" type of guy, so if killing humans (who aren't innocent) is what he has to do, I'd be more than okay with it. It would fit his character

me too

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Oscuro

Somebody cue up that M. Bison "Yes. YES!!!'' This is what I've been waiting for

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personality wise I envision Blade as someone who is capable of having friends and other close relations, but his line of work doesn't really allow for that. Fighting creatures from the shadow world isn't good for your health Anyone he actually cares about would probably die a gruesome death, so he chooses to pretty much fly solo. Working on a team isn't his style, but if the needs fit and he will achieve his goal then he will.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent (Mr. Burns voice)

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134@blackwind@jonny_anonymous I like the Ronin (sans mask) look on Blade. I would make a few alterations to it though. The yellow accents should be made red. The chest piece should be modified into body armor/ The gauntlets and boots can go as well as the sash. Blade's outfit should be mostly black with a bit of color. And his trench coat should have the red silk lining cuz that is just plain cool looking

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro said:

@daredevil21134@blackwind@jonny_anonymous I like the Ronin (sans mask) look on Blade. I would make a few alterations to it though. The yellow accents should be made red. The chest piece should be modified into body armor/ The gauntlets and boots can go as well as the sash. Blade's outfit should be mostly black with a bit of color. And his trench coat should have the red silk lining cuz that is just plain cool looking

I dig that.It will also give him a distinct look away from the movie

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro said:

Did any of you guys reed Uncanny Avengers today? Blade was in it and he turned in to a bat after possibly being upgraded but I can't tell if it all really happened. It was a really weird issue.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I agree with you. I struggled to understand if any of that happened but I will say i'm interested in a Scarlet Witch/Ghost Rider relationship. And the most interesting part of the book were the Midnight Sons imo

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Remender spent most of the issue swapping between taking the piss out of the idea of a supernatural team and making snide remarks about comic executives.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Remender spent most of the issue swapping between taking the piss out of the idea of a supernatural team and making snide remarks about comic executives.

He sure did!! Ugh,wasted ooportunity

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oscuro
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro said:

@jonny_anonymous nah just him turning into the bat

Yeah,We got that.Jonny's probably getting it now for ya

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow thats weird and wtf is with the text? like someone is bein a dick narrator

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscuro: It's Mojo, they are all being controlled by him.

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh. wtf?! lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@oscuro: Yea so I'm still not sure of any of this actually happened, it's pretty confusing

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah seems that way lol.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    No Caption Provided

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BlackWind

I hope no writer tries to make Blade go back to the fanatical hatred he had in the 90s. We've seen a very driven but more mature and mellow Blade recently. Especially after his encounter with Spitfire.

Its no big deal if he still hayssbthe occult. But we have seen him with supernatural allies, which is a good thing. I think it needs to be explored a bit more that Blade is indeed what he hates and fights against.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also! It is really funny how some people think Blade still has control issues and only knows how to fight vampires.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@blackwind: I think Al Ewing has a great handle on Blade so I'm glad he has big plans for him.

By the way, you know how the the movies the vampires have glyphs for each clan and guys like Drake and Forst have personal ones, does anybody know if there is a Daywalker glyph?

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.