duo_forbidden's Blackhawks #5 - Burial review

Avatar image for duo_forbidden

"I'm a pliot."

Synopsis: How will Canada and Wildman escape outer space?

What's Good?

Call me crazy, but I like the approach of some of the members of the BlackHawks. If it's one thing Mike Costa has shown in this series, it's giving each character a distinctive personality. Each member doesn't rely on their leader, Lincoln for commands (most of the time). Rather, Lincoln has total trust in his team. That's why this issue didn't surprise me on the actions each character took...like using the enemy's weapon against them. And while the BlackHawks delivered a decisive blow to Mother, the battle has just begun.

One of the other (somewhat irritating )changes to this series is the artwork. Cafu replaces Graham Nolan's layouts with Bit providing the inking, and combined with Guy Major's coloring, this issue gets a nice clean look. That doesn't mean that the past artist were bad, this series just needed a simple approach. Characters look more developed especially in the faces.

What's Bad?

Did I miss something? Where's Zinda Blake?!
Did I miss something? Where's Zinda Blake?!

Where. Is. Zinda. Blake? Seriously, that was the main reason why I couldn't wait to pick up this issue. Instead, the other Lady Blackhawk is on the cover! Is it because this series is (sadly) being cancelled?

Other than that, my other complaint goes towards how simple this issue was. The ending comes off predicable, but it's a nice set up.

Overall:

It's too bad this series is getting cancelled because, this series is a guilty pleasure for me.