The original model of the gauntlets was first shown in Amazing Spider- Man # 86 along with the new leather skin- tight suit that Widow currently wears. The gauntlets were created by the organization, SHIELD who implanted them with special technology that enabled them to be used for decades. They were given to the Black Widow, who was one of SHIELD's top agents. They are currently being used by Widow and have been ever since.
These gauntlets contain a number of special equipment that Widow uses on a daily basis. These are:
- Widow Line- This is a retractable cable and grappling hook used for climbing rooftops. They also enable rooftop gliding and climbing up steep cliffs and hills.
- Widow Bite- This is a high frequency electrostatic charge that can be used to stun or kill. It can be set to deliver minor shocks that causes stunning and paralysis or high voltage currents that can cause death.
- Explosives- There are many types of explosives stored in the gauntlet which includes grenades and other types of explosives that can cause damage to an opponent.
- Tear Gas- There is also tear in the gauntlet that can cause blindness when released. It can also cause the opponent to be knocked unconscious.
- Radio Transmitter- This enable Widow to lock on to a target and track its every move. If placed on a moving vehicle like a car or bike, it enables Widow to track down their location.
In Other Media
Iron Man 2
Black Widow's gauntlets first appear in Iron Man 2, where they're used in the climactic fight scene at Hammer Industries. They reappear in The Avengers, where Black Widow uses them in the battle against the invading Chitauri forces. In both films, they are primarily used to administer electric attacks.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The gauntlets briefly reappear in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but are used much more scarcely. In addition to the electric attacks, they are also shown to contain a grappling hook, which Black Widow uses during her battle with the Winter Soldier.
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Redesigned, upgraded versions of the gauntlets appear in Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War. In Civil War, they are now shown to be able to fire electrified projectiles.
- Black Widow's gauntlets are featured in the various Halloween costumes made of the character based off of her MCU incarnation.
- Hasbro released a toy of the gauntlet for their Avengers line. It came packaged with one of Black Widow's stun batons from Avengers Assemble as well.