Black Widow #20

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Let's take a moment and reflect on these last twenty issues.

Nathan Edmondson and Phil Noto have done wonders on the series. Besides showing us that Natasha can kick all sorts of ass, they've also shown how deep of a character she is with all her layers. These final issues have shown her looking back upon her past. The things she's done have always been a burden upon her. While in the Red Room program, she had to do some bad things. What exactly does that mean? We can imagine what this might mean but seeing some of the events leaves you with a sinking feeling. It's no wonder why Natasha could be distant at times. She's been carrying a heavy wait over the years and who knows what else her past holds.

That's the other problem with this series ending. As great as it is to see her current day adventures, it's been a blast delving into her past. I would have loved to see the balance continue with more revelations.

Along with the heavy stories, Noto's art has been breathtaking. There's a haunting innocence, at times, in the expressions he depicts. I've always felt the way Noto draws eyes simply exudes emotion. You can feel the weight on Natasha's shoulders. There are two pages towards the end with virtually no dialogue just really felt like a punch in the gut. I'm going to miss this creative team on this series.

It's unfortunate that this series is ending. Given this final story, we get a slightly sad but satisfying ending. Edmondson and Noto have done a consistent and remarkable job throughout the entire twenty issues. All good things come to an end and this is a prime example. I can't wait to re-read the entire run.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Good lord, Natasha used to be cold as ice!

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This run is just great. A character-defining book for Natasha. It can't really be overstated how hard it can be for a writer to take a long-lasting character and peel the layers back the way it was done here to understand both what the character used to be, and what they are now. Let alone doing it in 20 issues. Super fun read, I got shivers from the last few pages.

Avatar image for nemesis_liafador
    Nemesis_Liafador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think that any Black Widow book was going to come close to The Name of the Rose for me, but this run most certainly did.

Avatar image for thekingofthehill
    TheKingoftheHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uncanny_doom: So this was just a flashback for Black Widow, do you recommend I read all 20 issues?

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

@uncanny_doom: So this was just a flashback for Black Widow, do you recommend I read all 20 issues?

Definitely. It's a fun, well-paced read and is also highly re-readable in my opinion. If you're interested in Black Widow at all, this book is pretty much gold.

Avatar image for thekingofthehill
    TheKingoftheHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheKingoftheHill
    Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What an incredible finale, the last few pages that had no dialogue really hit hard, I'm really gunna miss this series, but its been a great 20 issue run.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nemesis_liafador: I had a look at that series the other day, could you tell me does she work with Iron Man and Wolverine for most of it though? As I prefer her going solo like she has through most of this series, thanks.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Aliltron

This was by far my favorite Marvel series and even though I'm really sad that the series is over, I'm glad we had such an amazing run. I'll definitely reread this series again. It was fun waiting every month for a new issue of Black Widow to come out knowing you'd be in for a great ride. Looking forward to seeing what's next for our favorite Russian spy. Now Marvel needs to get another solo series going for her!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.