Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3719 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Should Black Widow Get Her Own Movie?

• 129 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Since Iron Man, Captain America and Thor have all already received movie treatment, and with production on Joss Whedon's upcoming The Avengers film (due to hit theaters next year) already underway and close to completion, it's no wonder people have started asking what the next big Marvel Studios project will be. If you've been paying attention then you already know that both Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 are slated for a 2013 release and that the Captain America sequel is slated for a 2014 release, but what about the other members of the Avengers team?

Whedon's Avengers movie will bring plenty of faces (both old and new) to the forefront including the Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye -- so is there a chance that we may eventually see one of these characters take center stage in their own movie? In the case of actress Scarlett Johansson who plays Black Widow in both Iron Man and the Avengers, it's not something she is ruling out. In a recent interview Johansson revealed that she really loves the character and wouldn't mind exploring her very "interesting past."

No Caption Provided
    "I love playing the Widow. I think she's got a very interesting past, a lot of storylines to explore, and certainly Kevin (Feige) loves that character...I think that Marvel has a very personal relationship with their fans, and I think if the fans want it, and the audience wants it, nothing's impossible. I would love to explore that option as well. Like I said, I love the character and it would be nice to see something nice and gritty."

Johannson, who plays Black Widow in the film, is referred to as Natalie Rushman in Iron Man 2 where she acted as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who was responsible for infiltrating Stark Industries -- a very different incarnation from the character in the comics. If you've read the Avengers comic books then you know that Black Widow is Natasha Romanova, a former KGB and one of the S.H.I.E.L.D.'s very best agents. If Marvel did decide to make a Black Widow film they would definitely have to explain Widow's heritage and lack of accent, although we think there are plenty of spy stories they can tell whilst leaving the fact that she's supposed to be Russian out of it.

== TEASER ==

This wouldn't be the first time we have seen news of a possible Black Widow film. In fact, last year when asked whether we would see a Black Widow film, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige replied that it would "definitely [be] possible...Yes, absolutely." Not exactly a definitive answer, but most certainly a positive one. In fact, long before Black Widow made her cinematic debut in Iron Man 2, screenwriter David Hayter (WATCHMEN, X-MEN) was slated to have been working on a Black Widow movie around 2005. When asked about the film that never came to be, Hayter indicated his disappointment in his script never fully being realized.

I had a very solid relationship with Marvel, having worked on a number of films with them, and I was looking for something to write and direct. They brought up Black Widow, and I knew the character very well from the comic book. So I spent about a year working on the script, and I was extremely happy with it. Essentially, the story is a young Russian girl’s parents are killed, so she’s given to the KGB to be developed into a super spy...I felt it was very timely and very cool. Unfortunately, as I was coming up on the final draft, a number of female vigilante movies came out. We had Tomb Raider and Kill Bill, which were the ones that worked, but then we had BloodRayne and Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux. Aeon Flux didn’t open well, and three days after it opened, the studio said, “We don’t think it’s time to do this movie.” I accepted their logic in terms of the saturation of the marketplace, but it was pretty painful.

Although we may never get to see Hayter's vision for Black Widow on the big screen, it is something that Marvel considered not too long ago. While it may not have been the "right time" to make a Black Widow movie then, perhaps enough time has passed that they could give the idea a shot.

No Caption Provided

If anything, Natasha Romanova certainly has a rich character history. Long before she played with the good guys, she was a member of the KGB and one of their top agents. She has successfully completed missions and been responsible for getting things done. As an Avenger, Black Widow has had plenty of interesting stories (as well as romantic interests) over the years. Over the course of her character history she has proven herself as one of the best spies in the Marvel universe, having infiltrated organizations like Freedom's Light and Norman Osborn's Thunderbolts team during Dark Reign. She's been heavily involved in many of Marvel's biggest story arcs like Secret Invasion and Civil War, and has proven that (when written well) Black Widow can be a really interesting character. She is currently a member of the Secret Avengers and has proven that she can definitely kick some major butt, too.

Do you think Black Widow should get her own movie? What is the ideal Black Widow story to you, personally?

Source: Superherohype

Fluttershy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fluttershy

Oh no, Scarlett Johansson is terrible. "Natalie Rushman" does not deserve her own movie.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

meh...i don't know, it could work, but audiences don't tend to respect female leads that much

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wattup

Sure! It'll be a massive hit...on par with Elektra! 8 )

Did she even have any lines in Iron Man 2?

jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jack16ichigo

Id rather they didn't there so many other marvel heroes i think deserve one more...

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LoganRogue24

i would watch a bw film only if scarlett plays her shes a great actor and extremely gorgeous.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

nope

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By bloggerboy

Scarlett should have been Ms. Marvel.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArtisticNeedham
    Avengers 2012 Black Widow

I would say yes, mostly because then you could set up Black Widow's spy/assassin stuff that you can't really focus on in the Avengers films. Make her movie more spy oriented and political, like Patriot Games, Mission Impossible 1, and 3rd film that I just forget just now. Darn it. But anyway, her own films can delve into all the espionage stuff, and maybe even set up Scarlett's replacement for when she drops out, like the blond one from the comics or another red head who becomes the New Black Widow agent. Her enemies could be AIM, Hydra, and other Marvel terrorists and her films could tie into the other Marvel movie/Alias TV show universe. This could be the spy/assassin/political/espionage part of the Marvel Movie Universe. This could show the SHIELD, AIM, Hydra, spy stuff.

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Namor1987

If done right & without Scarlett Johansson sure.

Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should Black Widow get her own movie? yes.

Should it star Scarlett Johannson? Hell no!

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By daredevil21134

@GiantsizeManThing said:

agreed

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#13  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I think that Black Widow should get her own movie provided that they do her character justice this time around. I didn't like the idea that they left out her Russian heritage in Iron Man 2, so hopefully if she gets her own movie, maybe they will leave her Russian heritage in it.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By RainEffect
    @GiantsizeManThing said:

At first, I hated the idea of Scarlett as Natasha, but I've really started warming to her as I re-watch Iron Man 2 and the trailer for the Avengers.
    NyxEquitis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NyxEquitis

In a word, yes. Hawkeye too.

Avatar image for giantsizemanthing
    GiantsizeManThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RainEffect: I think she's a fine actor but an action star. nah.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By shawn87

I wouldn't mind seeing a solo Black Widow movie. I'd rather see a Hawkeye one made first though

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Eh, the way that Black Widow has been portrayed in the movie, I don't know if I want an "origins" movie about her. I'd rather have an "origins" movie about the comic Black Widow, nothing more.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By longbowhunter

I love Black Widow, but was more than underwhelmed with Scarlet Johannson's portrayal in IM2. So no thanks!

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Bestostero

Nope. Ms. Marvel would be more interested as a solo movie, and they can add her to Avengers 2.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Joe Venom

No, only because there are others more deserving of their own movie (Namor and the Invaders %^$&!) same goes for Hawkeye, however if they did make a film for them I would still go see it...

Ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ran

Eh, perhaps if the really played with the female spy aspect but otherwise I say nay 

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By The Mast

She is and will forever be a terrible Black Widow.

She doesn't have the acting chops to do an accent, and her salary that she earns from her jobs is insane. To rub salt in, Mickey Rourke did one.

No. She's awful in the role and a pint-sized, American, S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Black Widow is not something I've ever cared for.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GREGalicious

I just dont really too much care for her so my answer is NO.

I still stand by the fact that they shouldve used either WASP, MS. MARVEL, or SCARLET WITCH.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Didn't they already do Elektra?

Lesson learned.

Avatar image for thewhitequeenofhellfire
    thewhitequeenofhellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mean that they'll cover her past as survivor of the Romanov family, that Wolverine is basically her godfather, that's she's about Steve Roger's age? I mean... she has so many convoluted stories.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kallarkz

Not quite sure it would be too successful........Maybe i would see it......Too be honest though I wouldn't.

DocX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DocX

@Fluttershy said:

Oh no, Scarlett Johansson is terrible. "Natalie Rushman" does not deserve her own movie.

This!

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
    redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez people are never satisfied I mean seriously yeah of course things are gonna be different when they adapt a comic book to a movie its expected. However i believe most of the time the director tries to find who they actually believe can potray the character well enough or just a certian aspect of the character. In this case they went with Natasha's sexiness over everything else, why because if they only appealed to us comic fans then theyl generally lose alot of money. Why because even though i hate to say t, truth is noone well most movie fans dont care about her past and stuff they just care about how she looks and the sexiness of Scarlet. Really nothing more or less. Take for example the Transformers movies as good as they are and as much as they made was there really a need for Megan Fox and that other girl NO they were there soley because they're pretty faces are something to look at. I mean how many of you can honestly say that fans would go see a movie about two fighting robotic races even if it followed close to the orginal. Trust me it wouldnt be many because most movie goers would either not know or not care about the history. So its really sometimes they get a great actor for the role such as the guy who played Thor and sometimes the get the wrong actor for a character such as Chris Odonell as robin or Arnold Swartznegger as Mr Freeze

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Yes, she should. And Scarlett was fine.  

I love how people complain so vehemently about the films and then go out and read Bendis' Avengers and say how good it was. 

Antigonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Antigonist

Natasha is pretty well set up for a solo film— the spy and superhero genres are both eminently filmable, and mixing the two together is a pretty simple high concept that doesn't require a huge budget and CGI. (Like a Ms. Marvel film would. Hawkeye or Black Widow getting films would pave the way for other lesser-known characters, though, which I'd love to see.)

They'd certainly have to beef up the role from IM2, but that wouldn't be a hard thing to do. I'm going to wait until they give her something to do besides pretend to be a blank secretary before I pronounce Ms. Johansson totally unfit for the role.

Also: as an undercover operative, why would she speak with a Russian accent and mention her Russian background? The "she didn't have an accent!!" complaint is one of the most nonsensical I've continuously encountered. The comics, fyi, have made reference to her efforts to speak without one.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Night Thrasher

@ArtisticNeedham said:

I would say yes, mostly because then you could set up Black Widow's spy/assassin stuff that you can't really focus on in the Avengers films. Make her movie more spy oriented and political, like Patriot Games, Mission Impossible 1, and 3rd film that I just forget just now. Darn it. But anyway, her own films can delve into all the espionage stuff, and maybe even set up Scarlett's replacement for when she drops out, like the blond one from the comics or another red head who becomes the New Black Widow agent. Her enemies could be AIM, Hydra, and other Marvel terrorists and her films could tie into the other Marvel movie/Alias TV show universe. This could be the spy/assassin/political/espionage part of the Marvel Movie Universe. This could show the SHIELD, AIM, Hydra, spy stuff.

I was thinking the exact same thing. An action espionage thriller is one genre Marvel hasn't really delved into. A little plot and a lot of action could go a long way.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By jrock85

If she does get her own movie, it would have to be a reboot because using the same Black Widow from IM2 wouldn't work.

Anyway, it would be nice to see a female hero get her own film that does well at the box office.

Volpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Volpe
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Yes, she should. And Scarlett was fine.   I love how people complain so vehemently about the films and then go out and read Bendis' Avengers and say how good it was. 
    I think I love you.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Volpe said:
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    Yes, she should. And Scarlett was fine.   I love how people complain so vehemently about the films and then go out and read Bendis' Avengers and say how good it was. 
    I think I love you.
    I have that effect on people =P
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jrock85

@FadeToBlackBolt: Same Black Widow or reboot?

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @jrock85: Same one, a reboot so soon will just confuse people. 
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jrock85

@FadeToBlackBolt:

I'd imagine that they would have to give her a completely different origin than her comic counterpart. Either way, I'd check it out.

Sky_Jokiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By Sky_Jokiel

I would say no not because you couldn't make a sweet Russian spy movie about it but because I feel Scarlet Johannson makes a half decent support actress in the series but couldn't carry her own superhero movie with out making it feel fake and corny

kamionero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kamionero

@Fluttershy said:

THIS! Thank you!

One of the biggest miscast in the Marvel Universe (that and Jessica Alba as Sue Storm)

SuperDoahBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SuperDoahBoy

No, cause there are other female superheroes that deserve a movie way more that Black Widow. Not to mention there are way more black superheroes that need a movie.

Antigonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Antigonist

@jrock85: I don't know, it's not very hard to explain her as an Russian agent that defected and then joined SHIELD/the Avengers. That's her origin, and that concept has been pretty much the same in every incarnation. Whether or not they have her as an the recipient of something like the Infinity Formula isn't really that important, though I think the Captain America guy mentioned possibly using her in a theoretical Winter Soldier project.

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EugeneSaxe

Widow and Hawkeye aren't solo-movie caliber.

Thor underwhelmed. They managed to botch the freaking HULK!

Marvel/Disney need to stop pushing every license onto the big screen. Nothing exceeds like excess; pump out enough crap, people forget about the good. Here's a thought: Widow/Hawkeye don't need huge effects budgets. They'd be perfect for live-action TV. Disney/ABC has a few stations available.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By soccersss

The only way I can see a Black Widow movie working is if they started from scratch with a different actress, background and an extremely good storyline. I doubt it would work if they stick with the Iron Man 2 Widow & Scarlett but then again anything is possible this days if done right

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
    Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I initially thought "No, what could they do?" Then I thought "What could they do?  She has a great back story before Iron Man 2 to explore.  It would make an awesome movie.  If done right, right on par with the Bourne movies.  IF DONE RIGHT!! 
    I like the sound of David's script.

Avatar image for secretagentcatexe
    SECRETAGENTCATEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should she? A movie about a clad female spy action star extraordinaire, let's think about it for a minute. Would a worldwide audience, the majority of that audience being one which doesn't read comics, really doesn't know the details of a Black Widow character in them especially and knows who Scarlett is and has followed year for years now on the cover of anything she's on...sell.

Just from a film standpoint. Yes. The elements here translate too well to a film.

As far as the comic reader standpoint, good because it's a comic character, seemingly weak choice. Then again a weak choice namely Blade succeeded to the extent that it dug Marvel out of bankruptcy and launched their movie revival (if one can even take what they had before seriously, sorry marvel this is just true).

Her accent is wrong and some people believe she doesn't fit the comic character. Again, fairly moot and I'm saying this as a comic fan. The majority of movie goers for a world wide film release do not read Black Widow comics so they don't care. Spy action sells big, which means this wouldn't even have a difficult task becoming something that even gets a normal amount of attention.

RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RedSteel15

Deadly Origin was a good book but I'm not sure. Could work.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kamionero said:

@Fluttershy said:

THIS! Thank you!

One of the biggest miscast in the Marvel Universe (that and Jessica Alba as Sue Storm)

- Jessica Alba as Sue Storm is far, far worse

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SuperDoahBoy said:

No, cause there are other female superheroes that deserve a movie way more that Black Widow. Not to mention there are way more black superheroes that need a movie.

- Black Widow has the advantage of being in the Iron Man and Avengers movies to build buzz and awareness

- Many of the other options do not have this going for them, or appeared in movies that are 5+ years old now and lost this momentum.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NightFang3

I think she could have her own movie, maybe with a different actress and tells her origin and recruitment into S. H. I. E. L. D, and first meeting with Hawkeye.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.