Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3717 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

Scarlett Johansson Talks 'Winter Soldier,' Black Widow, and Working Out

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still a few weeks away from opening in the U.S. Last week was the press conference Beverly Hills and, as you can imagine, Scarlett Johansson had a lot of questions directed her way. Also at the press conference were Chris Evans, directors Joe and Anthony Russo, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Samuel L. Jackson and Kevin Feige.

Here is what Scarlett had to say about the movie and the character of Black Widow.

No Caption Provided

Trust is a big factor in the movie. There's a lot going on between the characters. Here's Scarlett Johansson on trust.

“I trust no one. I only trust whoever Sam Jackson trusts. I don’t know. I don’t think people have to prove themselves in order for me to trust them. I think I’m pretty, mostly trusting by nature. Usually I would say I wait for someone to prove me wrong. Then you never get it back! Once I don’t trust you, you’re out of the circle.”

We get to see a more human side to Black Widow. She goes through a lot. How has the character evolved? Has she changed?

“Have I changed? Well, other than being in physical therapy for the rest of my life…I think this is the first time we get to see Natasha. We saw a little of her in Avengers, we saw a little of her backstory. We’ll see more of that in Avengers 2.

In this film we really get to see Natasha as a person who gets up, gets ready for work in the morning and has a life outside of her job. Once she’s out of the suit, she’s a woman and she has her own kind of reality. Who knows how far that stretches. It’s not until the series of circumstances, as the plot unfolds, we find both Steve and Natasha questioning their own identities. They were pretty strong people with their beliefs or whatever twisted morals they had, maybe the Widow’s more than Cap’s. In some ways there’s kind of a cliffhanger because you really see that they’re just trusting the wave of having this huge moment of self-discovery. Hopefully, we’ll be able to track where that goes in the next installments."

No Caption Provided

Scarlett on being a strong female character and role model.

No Caption Provided

“I think Natasha is a bit of a reluctant superhero. She doesn’t necessarily have this really strong moral compass. Let’s not forget, she essentially started out as a mercenary. I don’t know if that makes her role model material.

In some ways, I will say, I think one of the things that attracts me to the character, she uses her feminine wiles as sort of a part of her job, but she doesn’t rely on her sexuality or physical appeal to get the job done. She’s extremely smart. She thinks on her feet. She’s a leader. She has a lot of foresight. Those are all qualities that I think are wonderful to celebrate. And, of course, it’s really rad for me to have my friends’ kids kind of look up to that character and dress up as her on Halloween. They can play with the boys and be rough. I always say, the Widow always wins, and it’s true.”

How did she prepare for the challenges of the physical parts of the role?

“I just came off doing a broadway run, which is probably the most physically challenging thing you can do. I felt that if anything was going to prepare me to have stamina, it was that. Everything seemed like a piece of cake. I think I was in pretty solid shape from that run. And then it’s just maintaining it. Boring, get up at 5, go to the gym, you know, all that stuff that’s horrible. Train like a dude and eat a bunch of lettuce."

No Caption Provided

With the variety of roles she does, is it fun to keep coming back to this one?

“I never really have this opportunity. It’s an interesting challenge to keep coming back to this character. I have the good fortune of playing a character that’s sort of evolving with each installment you see her in. Going in to play the character, I have to understand who this character is and where she comes from. She has this rich backstory. The exciting thing is scraping away a little part of that each time to reveal a small part of the bigger picture of her. It’s a very complex character, which is wonderful for me, because over the period of time that I’ve played her, I’ve also grown, as you do in your career. I feel the character’s story is more enriched as we do these.”

Captain America: The Winter Soldier opens in theaters in the U.S. on April 4. You can see what questions Chris Evans was asked HERE. You can check out our interview with Anthony Mackie HERE.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Nice character insight.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

MrStryve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think gyms across the world couldn't go wrong with a big motivational poster of Scarlett Johansson looking sexy as hell in her Black Widow costume with the tagline beneath "Train like a dude and eat a bunch of lettuce". Perfect.

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Seems legit.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By kidchipotle

This woman is PERFECT. And no I'm not just talking about looks, I think she makes the Black Widow roll even more awesome than it should have been.I think she great insight on the character. And she said rad. That was rad.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I'd get her pregnant but someone all ready did.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And if it matters to anyone, she was very cool and laid back during the press conference. You could even say classy. The whole cast seemed to enjoy being there, which was great to see.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so they are actually going to make the character matter & deserve to be there for once? I mean, Hawkeye was pointless, but his being brainwashed was still more important & relievant than anything she has done. Marvel should scrap Hawkeye, or give him over to Netflix, or bring him over to that awful AOS show, merging the two characters & dropping one is the best thing to do.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cobramorph: well, I'd say she has a big role here. Same as Falcon. This is definitely not just a Cap movie.

goobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so they are actually going to make the character matter & deserve to be there for once? I mean, Hawkeye was pointless, but his being brainwashed was still more important & relievant than anything she has done. Marvel should scrap Hawkeye, or give him over to Netflix, or bring him over to that awful AOS show, merging the two characters & dropping one is the best thing to do.

He is going to have a very larger role in the Ultron movie.

simi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge fan of the Avenger series and I look forward to the movie Captain America: The Winter Soldier and of course Scarlett Johansson! :)
    3 April you better come soon!

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Perfect Score
    The Perfect Score
    The Nanny Diaries
    The Nanny Diaries
    Avengers
    Avengers
    Winter Soldier
    Winter Soldier

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

So Black Widow movie soon then?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that's good

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

honestly, they could have gotten a better black widow. no offence.

IN the winter soldier it seemed like she was forcing everything.

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

honestly, they could have gotten a better black widow. no offence.

IN the winter soldier it seemed like she was forcing everything.

Really...she's part of the reason i have seen the movie thrice in one weekend: twice in one day. She deserves her own Movie

kleo_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kleo_94

Only because she's pretty and sexy and an ass doesn't mean she deserves her own movie. To be honest, I've never liked her anyway. I'm not even sure why. Either in comics or in the movies. The first time I saw her, I was disappointed. Maybe the fault is ScarlettJo, maybe because I just don't like Black Widow.

No hate, of course! I don't feel like she's strong enough to carry her own movie. She's meant to be supporting character and it should stay that way. She's spy, she's sexy, she's beautiful, she's... Right. Most reasons for making her solo movie is somewhere around being beauty. And that sucks, really.

I'd better see (and these characters do deserve it) solo movies of: Winter Soldier(Bucky), and Loki.

As much as I loved comics about Cap & Bucky, and then about Bucky as the Winter Soldier (and his own series), I couldn't stand Black Widow there. There's not many characters I don't like, but she's defenitely the top one of them. And I just hope I won't see her much around. Shame that Marvel pushes her in every single movie they can: Iron Man, Avengers, Captain America. Come on! There are so many characters that deserve better, and she gets it all only because she's what, sexy? Okay... Right. That's certainly a reason.

Now I feel like I'll have a huge mass of haters. But that's my opinion on the character, and not only from watching all the Marvel movies in which BW appeared, but also from reading many comics with her character involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.