Follow

Black Widow

Character » Black Widow appears in 3718 issues.

A former KGB agent, Natasha Alianovna Romanova, better known as Natasha Romanoff or Black Widow, was trained by the top-secret Soviet brainwashing and training program, the Red Room, to become the ultimate "Super-Spy". She defected from the Soviet Union to the US to join S.H.I.E.L.D. Subsequently, Black Widow proceeded to become a member of the Avengers and has been on the team on numerous occasions. She's a woman with an enigmatic past which very few are acquainted with.

A Black Widow Respect Thread

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fetts

I know this isn't really a battle. But seeing how the Battles Board is practically the most popular, I figured if I post it here that more people would check it out.

No Caption Provided

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading some Marvel NOW: Punisher: War Zone, specifically where Black Widow and Punisher fought. And while I was reading said issue, it dawned on me that Black Widow doesn't get the respect she deserves. So many street-levelers-without-powers are adored by fans: Batman, Boba Fett, Punisher, etc.

No Caption Provided

Why? Because they have no powers, yet they can give superhumans a run for their money. That in itself says that such characters have cunning, skill, and guts.

So why is it that Black Widow gets no respect? There is not one Black Widow respect thread in existence. Black Widow: The super-agile Russian spy with a bite (or more specifically, a Widow's Bite) and a pretty face. And most notably, played by Scarlett Johannsson(!!!!!!)!

No Caption Provided

I ask you: What is there not to love about this character? I may not be the most well-versed guy on Natasha, but I know Black Widow has been a respectful member of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers for years, and has faced many threats with them.

No Caption Provided

So, without a further ado: I call for a Black Widow respect thread! Place feats and scans below, and give some love for the Black Widow!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren

Tanks blows from Daredevil:

No Caption Provided

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

I am switching this to her regular forum, as that's where we put the respect threads.

But kudos on this thread! I'll dig through and see what I've got.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Saren

@mercy_:Whatever do you mean?

Daredevil one-shotted Ultron. Is Natasha tanking a shot from Daredevil not impressive?

Why?

And like the OP mentioned, she is an invaluable member of the Avengers, bringing to the team a unique set of skills and capabilities.

Healing Nick Fury's eye = reality warper
    Healing Nick Fury's eye = reality warper

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_

@citizenbane: I'm getting flashbacks from that Magneto (?) vs whoever thread...

....you may continue.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Thank you.

These constant interruptions are very discouraging, you know.

Another thing I like about Black Widow is that even though she's the badass femme fatale super spy, she's also a delicate flower who can't lead the Avengers.

No Caption Provided

lulz
    lulz

So many layers! How can one character contain them all?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are also some moments where she beats up random losers, I guess:

No Caption Provided

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@mercy_: Ability to shrug off blows directly to the heart.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Antigonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just kind of eye-rolling & gross. Here are some real feats.

In Black Widow #3, Natasha fights Elektra to a standstill despite undergoing major surgery a few days before:

Black Widow: Homecoming #1— Natasha cripples some dude for fun, I guess, you can see how fast she's moving by the cup dropping from her hand.

Marvel Two-in-One #10— Natasha fights off 100 armed men, alone.

Punisher/Black Widow OGN: Natasha accurately judges & deflects Frank's bullet, then uses the distraction to sneak up on him.

Wolverine #125: Natasha knocks out the Phoenix with one kick, easily handles Psylocke, Viper, Jessica Drew and such.

Daredevil #368-369: Natasha shoots Daredevil. This isn't so much about beating Daredevil, but Natasha's aim is good enough that she can deliberately ricochet a bullet off his rib cage, causing him minimal harm despite shooting him in the chest.

One time she singlehandedly defeated X-Force, I guess:

No Caption Provided

There's also various feats that show Natasha's perception and her cunning. Two that come to mind are that Natasha was the one Avenger to suspect something was wrong with Jessica Drew before Secret Invasion:

And Natasha was also the first (and only) person to discover the Thunderbolts were really the Masters of Evil.

@fetts, hopefully this helps.

Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antigonist Wow! That's some great stuff there man!

P.S. Happy New Year!

Avatar image for oy_the_billy_bumbler
    Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@antigonist: Awesome stuff! There's a bunch of feats in there that I was unaware of.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Hopefully we'll see some of these pop up in the latest Battle of the Week.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By owie  Moderator

I don't have a huge number of Widow scans, but here they are:

In the first one (please read right-to-left, they're in backwards order), DD points out that BW has control over her heartbeat so that he's unable to tell when she's lying. Which says a lot about her physical self-control.

After that, there's a fight with a guy who as I recall is an ex-SHIELD agent. For some reason I don't have all the pages so it's missing a few parts, but this is most of it. When I first read this, I thought she dodged the shot in the beginning. But really what happens is that she runs towards him, from point blank range when he's fully ready to shoot, and dodges so that he doesn't kill her, but she let's him hit her in the shoulder so that she can kick him. The way I read it, she intentionally tanks the bullet. Then she garotes the guy. Then she falls off the multi-story building and gets up and is basically fine. After that she throws a pipe across a street and jumps across.

I think the first part is a pretty decent speed feat--I know all kinds of people dodge bullets in comics, but the way this is drawn and written, it really points out just how fast she has to be to outrun the bullet while it's being fired in order to kick him. It turns an everyday comics occurrence into an actual feat. Then, taking the bullet and falling like that are pretty decent endurance feats. And the jumping across the street while shot and otherwise hurt is also not bad.

And here (also in backward order), these are mostly just to provide some more basic bullet dodging and agility stuff. Clearly she's very agile and graceful.

I'm not arguing that these are at the very top of the line in terms of feats, but they're decent, and it's what I've got. I'm going to see if I can make a few more later today.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By texasdeathmatch

The first half of this thread is amazing.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 owie  Moderator

A few other scans:

Prep: Natasha randomly happens to wear armored gloves, even as a civilian:

No Caption Provided

Pain tolerance/body control/durability: Natasha was drugged so she can't talk, but is conscious. Some doctors try to operate on her, doing major abdominal surgery, and she manages to hold still during the whole thing so they don't accidentally cause any damage.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By owie  Moderator

The formatting on this thread got screwed up the last time I tried to edit it, and seems to be unfixable. I have created a new thread for this post. Please see that thread for updates on this post of mine.

I will no longer update this post, and like I said, the formatting renders it kind of unreadable. Thanks to Fetts for hosting this on his thread for many years. But this post got too long and confusing and I thought it would be better to start off from scratch.

No Caption Provided

FIGHTS

Vs Crossbones

Black Widow vs Crossbones. Wins via using her Widow’s Line as a garrote.

Vs Silver Samurai

Black Widow and Spider-Man vs Silver Samurai. First, Samurai vs Spidey. Then Black Widow joins in to help. Note Samurai's clear strength and speed in beating Spider-Man, and his claim to beating Daredevil. Since her Bite is not enough to penetrate his armor, Natasha spends what must be about a quarter of an hour dodging Samurai's katana while Spider-Man is wedging up the building--very impressive dodging.

Vs Weeping Lion

Black Widow vs the Weeping Lion. The Lion was presented as a pretty tough guy, although more through reputation than feats. Here she beats him fairly easily. In particular note the use of a touch-based Widow’s Bite (clearly influenced by the movies) and again, incap via Widow’s Line. She also gets up with no problem after being smashed against a wall hard enough for it to crack.

Vs Captain America

Takes out Captain America with a Widow's Bite to the head. This is a heavy-context fight, with Captain American on drugs that increase his rage, so he's essentially in a bloodlusted state where he's thinking less strategically, but is more aggressive and morals off. This same Cap beats the crap out of Daredevil (who in more context is somewhat off his game) to the degree that Daredevil is lying on the ground and too weak to stop Crossbones from looking under his mask. Anyway as you can see, Diamondback and Black Widow are both fighting him with no major damage to anyone until Natasha blasts him full in the face to KO him.

Vs Drug-enhanced General

Defeats general who is drugged into enhanced strength and rage.

Vs Hand

Way back in the day when the Hand was just being introduced, she fights well against several of them, dodging throwing stars and swords, and getting in 5 unanswered strikes before being caught by poisoned caltrops.

Vs Iron Scorpion

She attacks Iron Scorpion (this is interspersed with flashbacks about sniping a guy way earlier), breaks his leg, throws him into an oncoming truck. Iron Scorpion seems to be enhanced—he easily cuts through pistols (twice), a thick log, and other hard objects with his sword, and has uncanny accuracy as well, throwing a dart into her pistol barrel earlier:

Vs Enhanced-speed assassin

Fights an assassin with enhanced speed and another guy. Quickly takes guy out with thrown pipe, is first beaten down by speedster. Then knocks her out.

Vs Elektra

Fights Elektra after major surgery. Dodges Elektra’s strike after Elektra has shown her speed by cutting a bullet. Kicks Elektra and strikes her in the head with the pistol. Ends with weapons at each other’s heads. After Elektra leaves we see how hurt Natasha still is from the surgery.

Vs Imus Champion

Fights Imus Champion. His strength is unclear; in the past he had an exoskeleton and could lift planes and fight whole teams of Avengers. Now he seems to be strong and fast but not as much, with no exoskeleton. Dodges, kicks in groin, kicks in head, uses Widow’s Line to garrote. He punches back at her, she shoots at him in h head, she dodges multiple times before being grabbed. Takes out his eyes with her thumbs, slashes his gut, kicks in face, has him at gunpoint. Then chops throat, and basically curb stomps him.

Vs Punisher

Fights Punisher, more or less to a stalemate. Then Punisher runs off.

In a rematch, she comes after him again, this time with the rest of the Avengers. Granted that Frank has taken some punishment himself by this point, but Natasha kicks him before he can draw his gun, then disarms him, smacks him around a bit, and uses her Bite to shoot first when he draws a pistol on her.

Beats "Hydra Punisher" in Secret Empire: dodges his shots, hits him twice and jumps off him, he shoots her, she misses with touch-Bite, he hits her with butt of gun, he kicks and misses, she kicks him, she disarms him, he grabs her by the neck and kicks her, she blocks his knives and kicks him, disarming him again, he grabs her foot and pushes her back, knocking her to the ground. He goes to get his gun and she picks up his knives and disables him by stabbing him in both legs (somehow getting in front of him in the process). In all, she strikes him 5 times, and he hits her 4 times, BEFORE she incaps him.

Vs Recluse

Natasha and Bucky fight Recluse, who was trained in an updated Red Room. Recluse is tough enough to have captured Bucky in the first place, and then to fight both Nat and Bucky to a draw. Some nice acrobatics and unusual weapons use from Nat, also noted under Bite below.

Natasha has a rematch against Recluse, who notes again that it took her and Bucky to fight her to a draw before. This time, Black Widow beats her. (She comes back from the waterfall later, but Nat clearly has her at a disadvantage here.) Also note impressive strength feat holding back against the waterfall, also noted under Strength below.

Vs Red Room Girls

Fights off six highly trained Red Room girls. Looking at the panels, she seems to defeat them without ever getting hit. However, she must have been hit to be hazy at the end. Various weapon uses also seen below.

Vs Snapdragon

Sometimes I see assertions that Snapdragon could beat Black Widow, or beat her a majority of times. Looking at their full set of fights makes it clear that in a straight fight, Black Widow wins.

First fight: Widow is ambushed in the dark by Snapdragon when Natasha’s Bite isn’t working. Snapdragon, who has IR goggles, only beats Natasha because Natasha can’t see to fight back.

Second “Fight”: Black Widow kicks a guy while tied, but is subdued by Snapdragon with a pole. Not exactly a real fight.

Third fight: Black Widow is disarmed by surprise, while Snapdragon has multiple weapons. Natasha dodges and strikes, but is hit back. Then Natasha gets in four unanswered strikes, ultimately knocking Snapdragon through a hole in the walkway for a conclusive win in their only straight fight.

Fights group of “world’s deadliest assassins.” Is tied up, but kicks one lady, then another. Kicks a pot at guy to KO him, kicks another guy (basically one-shorting four people in a row), then has a longer fight with a sumo guy. Does more tied-up fighting, dodges a bullet so it hits the sumo guy, dodges even more while rolling on the ground toward the shooter and takes him out. Is freed by Iron Maiden, whose armor tanks her blast and almost beats her before being stopped by James Woo from SHIELD (and later Atlas). All together, even given that these gimmicky assassins are mostly featless, an impressive set of moves for someone tied up almost the whole time.

Vs Alexi/Red Guardian/Ronin

She beats Alexi, the former Red Guardian, now Ronin:

No Caption Provided

Vs Bucky

Fighting Bucky: granted that he is not fighting to kill and it’s broken off quickly, but she fights well against him, getting in two kicks to one tackle. He says: “What I didn’t know is how much she’s been holding back when we spar, how strong she really is.” “She’s gonna take my head off if I’m not careful.” This makes clear three things: one, when she has sparred with Bucky in the past, she’s so good she felt the need to hold back so as to not hurt him (what other reason would she have for holding back during sparring?). Two, he’s impressed by her strength, making it clear she’s not just normal. Three, even if he’s not fighting with the intent to hurt her right now, she’s good enough that she could kill him anyway—thus it doesn’t matter what his fighting intent is.

Vs Bucky (and tangentially Hawkeye):

Natasha beats on Bucky pretty much at will as Hawkeye watches. There's context here: Nat has been resurrected in a cloned body after Secret Empire, and Bucky and Clint are shocked to see her alive. She is annoyed that they are unknowingly messing up a plan of hers. She attacks Bucky to stop them from interfering, and he fights back defensively. She basically runs all over him: she hits him, he disarms her, then she gets in every hit after that: 3 hits to his face, pulls his hair, grabs him with her legs and kicks him into Clint. Then she takes off. Even with the context, this is all in her favor: she is more serious in her intent, but doesn't want to hurt them; they are stunned and don't want to hurt her, but clearly they don't want to be hurt themselves either, and Bucky is fighting defensively as hard as he can, as shown by the fact that he needs to ask Clint for help: "She's gonna kill me in a second if you don't stop her!" I added the final page for Bucky's line about how she had the drop on them.

Vs Bucky Again

They fight on a boat. Neither of them gets any major hits in on the other. What's notable is that they fight pretty much as equals, and her signature balletic fighting style, where she looks like she's dancing as much as she's fighting.

Daredevil and Black Widow vs Kraven:

First Natasha and Matt fight fairly well against him; Kraven notes his superhuman speed and strength. However, Kraven tags her with a poison dart and then he knocks out Daredevil physically.

In the continuation, Kraven is about to throw Daredevil off a cliff. Black Widow is still affected by the poison, as noted in the captions. She jumps at Kraven, who throws Matt off the cliff. A bunch of cops attack, and distract Kraven while Natasha comes from behind and one-shots him with a kick, knocking him out. Even as she does this, she notes that she is still “weak as a kitten” from the poison. Kraven is pretty durable, even in this era, and hadn’t taken too much damage in the first part of the fight, so taking him down with one kick, even by surprise, is pretty impressive.

Fights against Lady Bullseye. Overall, they basically tie:

In the first fight, Lady Bullseye gets in the majority of the hits and is about to stab Natasha when the fight is interrupted.

In the second fight, Black Widow jumps into a train with some kind of protective energy net and gets Lady Bullseye on the ground, more or less at her mercy, when the train goes into another dimension.

In that dimension, after an unknown amount of time (maybe immediately, maybe much later), Natasha has Lady Bullseye at her mercy at sword point before being interrupted by a monster.

Others

Natasha is attacked by an out-of-control Mockingbird and defeats her pretty easily, kissing her with an antidote to the nanites that made her go crazy.

Vs Spider-man. The first time they meet. This fight is full of context; Spider-man was feeling beaten up and tired, and almost like he was losing his powers. Even with that, she gets in some decent shots, but runs off. This is honestly not her best showing but I figured it was worth seeing.

Vs a Crocodile: Nat is dragged under water for a significant amount of time, and kills the croc by hand. Also a nice feat of strength when she throws it in front of Danvers and Strange.

Takes out at least 15 guards. She starts off with 2 swords and was just poisoned and tortured, they have guns. Notable for its brutality and targeted, skilled strikes.

Vs Jean Grey, Psylocke, Viper

Smacks down Jean Grey, Psylocke, and Viper at once:

No Caption Provided

FIGHTING SKILLS/TECHNIQUES

Her fighting style is naturally very gymnastic. She does all kinds of flips and jumps as an innate part of her fighting, in an extremely balletic manner that combines her H2H and weapons:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

After throwing a chair at Punisher and punching him in the face, she does a kick-back-flip off him:

No Caption Provided

Blocks a point-blank shot:

No Caption Provided

Takes out two people at once while handcuffed, and disrupts point blank gunfire:

No Caption Provided

Takes out a bunch of guards, including throwing one over her back for a pretty good strength feat. She shoots a gun out of guy’s hand, uses a flash bomb, and shoots guy’s hand:

She and Sharon Carter kick each other’s ropes off, which is presented as effortless and looks silly, but honestly would be really difficult to do:

No Caption Provided

In a fairly common one-shot move for her, she chops two guys in the neck at once. A very effective move:

No Caption Provided

While literally disintegrating due to poison, she neck strikes a guy. (Again, a bit of a signature move for her.):

No Caption Provided

Throat-strikes one guy while taking out two others with one kick:

No Caption Provided

Chops a guy's neck while teleporting:

No Caption Provided

In a slight variation, but still showing her tendency to strike vulnerable areas, she hits another guy on the back of the neck:

No Caption Provided

And does another of her "hit multiple people at once" attacks, following it up with a crazy acrobatic spin-kick:

No Caption Provided

Does a double-neck chop with a kick, taking out 3 people at once.

Does an acrobatic double-kick on Daredevil.

Multiple balletic kicks/flips, two against Bucky and one against a random guard:

Viciously takes out some street fighters: breaks an arm, jumps out of the way of a blade so a bad guy gets stabbed instead; slices a guy's throat:

No Caption Provided

Similarly takes out four street toughs by kicking through a knee, cutting off a leg, and impaling, among other specific targeted strikes.

A nice jump-kick to Bucky's head:

No Caption Provided

Punches through a guy's elbow:

No Caption Provided

Knocks guy out by kicking handcuffs at his head, throat strikes two others (this is immediately after she had major surgery):

No Caption Provided

See fight with Imus for pretty harsh eye gouging and head stomping:

Takes one guy’s eyes out while shooting another with Bite:

No Caption Provided

An offshoot of SHIELD hires her to test Spider-man's Spider-sense for what she thinks are good reasons. After running him through a gauntlet of attacks, all of which he dodges, she blinds him with a light, then attacks him in hand-to-hand. He dodges 3 times, saying his spider-sense can compensate, but hits him on the fourth try, hard enough to take him down so he can't fight back. This is the first time he's hit the whole time, so it's impressive that she one-shots him, considering his durability.

In an older issue, Spidey sneaks up on her, but she is able to react, grab, and throw him without him being to react back, even given his spider-sense. (Compare this example of his speed and reactions in the same issue.):

No Caption Provided

Spider-man and Widow are surrounded by armed henchmen. Spidey runs off to defeat the Owl, and is gone only a very short time. Then he runs back, clearly believing there are a dangerously high number of guys to fight, since he says she "has her hands full." However, she has easily beaten them all, saying Spidey took too long coming back. I count at least 12 guys. These guys aren't particularly tough, what's impressive is the speed with which she beats them, and that Spidey considers them to be enough to be a challenge:

No Caption Provided

Viciously kills a guy with a knife when she was a child assassin-in-training.

Shoots Deadpool, incapacitating him until he's decapitated by another guy. (She's the blonde here.)

While in the process of killing a bunch of mercs, she uses a nice, graceful move to kill one: swinging her body up and around him while holding on to his head, thus breaking his neck in the process:

No Caption Provided

She repeats this move later in the issue, where she jumps up and swings her body around a guy, breaking his neck as she swings around:

No Caption Provided

ACCURACY

Shoots through a guy at a target while she is stunned.

Shoots a thin string or rope three times. First, while riding a motorcycle, she shoots two strings that come out of a trick arrow from Hawkeye. Second, she shoots a thin rope that Hawkeye is walking on, from a fair distance. Third, she shoots Hawkeye's bow string, from a decent distance away again. Each is a very small target, under difficult circumstances.

Daredevil calls Natasha one of the only three people who could have made a difficult shot, the others being Bullseye and Punisher.

Daredevil knows what he's talking about: she shot him in the chest, almost killing him. Some context: he probably didn't dodge as much as he could have because he didn't think she was going to do it. BUT on the other hand, not only did she shoot him, she purposefully ricocheted the bullet off a rib so it didn't kill him.

She shoots a hole in a card held by Bullseye, so far away he can't see her; obviously impressed with the shot, he's aroused.

Rogue absorbs her abilities, then makes a 2.8 mile shot.

While tied up, she uses her legs to grab and manipulate a guy's arm so he first shoots another bad guy in the head, then in a second shot he shoots the small rope holding her up, while she's swinging on it. This is a CRAZY shot for her to make, using his arm/gun and only using her legs to target it.

Shoots two guys while blindfolded and running:

No Caption Provided

In both these examples, shoots a gun out of a guy's hand while doing a complicated gymnastic activity (jumping in through a skylight and shooting in midair in one, flipping upside-down while dodging gunshots in the other).

Snipes a guy.

Shoots numerous octo-bots at once.

Shoots while flipping.

And again.

Knows a wide range of weaponry, including a .50 cal machine gun used to take down a helicopter.

Shoots guy behind her without looking (here she has gone through surgery to look like Yelena Belova):

No Caption Provided

GEAR/FEATS WITH GEAR

In addition to regularly carrying firearms and knives, which she is quite skilled with, Natasha also uses the following weapons:

Widow’s Line

Natasha often uses her Widow's Line (normally a grappling line) as a weapon for incapacitation or entangling.

Uses Widow's Line to disarm Stilt Man

No Caption Provided

Uses Widow's Line to disarm Red Room girl:

No Caption Provided

Uses Line to ensnare:

Uses Line to grab onto a robot:

No Caption Provided

Uses Widow’s Line to trip soldiers:

No Caption Provided

See fight with Crossbones (Line used for incap)

Line used for incap against Weeping Lion (two pages edited together):

No Caption Provided

Wraps a guy up with her Widow’s Line with Silver Sable:

No Caption Provided

See fight with Imus (Line used to garrote):

No Caption Provided

Garrotes another guy:

No Caption Provided

Garrotes a guy pretending to be Captain America:

No Caption Provided

Not technically with the Widow's Line, but she uses a normal fishing rod and line to ensnare Madame Masque, including impaling her with the hook.

Here she uses her Widow’s Line in two directions at once, disrupting the aim of an assassin and tying up her hand, and connecting the other end to a sign, pulling her off the car:

No Caption Provided

Widow’s Bite

Note in the various scans the different ways her blast is shown—sometimes with a big energy ray, sometimes more like a bullet/more targeted blast. Note that she uses it up close (melee distance) and from long range. Also note in the last entry that they have just started making it so she can electrify someone by touching them with it, not just by blasting with it.

Takes out Captain America with a close-range Widow's Bite to the head:

No Caption Provided

Bite takes down Wolverine for a page and a half.

Shoots guy behind her without looking (here she has gone through surgery to look like Yelena Belova) (good example of a more bullet-like blast):

No Caption Provided

Blasts two guys right next to her:

No Caption Provided

Another point-blank blast:

No Caption Provided

And three more point-blank blasts to the face (in one, she notes how she helped write the SHIELD handbook on fighting). The point of all these point-blank scans is to show that the Widow's Bite is a good ranged weapon, but is also a good bonus to her H2H combat:

Another close-up blast.

And another.

And two more times.

Knocks armored guy out of window, blasts guy in face, blasts two more from a distance at once:

No Caption Provided

Takes one guy’s eyes out while shooting another with Bite, then blasts another:

No Caption Provided

Blasts dogs:

No Caption Provided

Blasts armored foe and is amazed that she isn’t taken down, as her Bite is "enough to stop ten men":

No Caption Provided

Blasts through the helmet of a Federal Dynamo, basically a lower-level Crimson Dynamo:

No Caption Provided

She fights Ivan, now in a robot body that is called “indestructible.” ... She defeats him by blowing a giant hole in his chest with her Bite:

No Caption Provided

Takes out dude in an exo-suit. How tough is this suit? Tough enough to require four sustained shots from Punisher's van's minigun to take the same amount of damage as in one Widow's Bite.

Bite described as enough to melt a handgun, then does just that:

No Caption Provided

She again destroys a handgun. Spidey notes, "that Widow's Bite of yours is something else!" :)

No Caption Provided

Two examples of her touch-based Widow's Bite:

Some more examples of her touch-based Bite

Another touch-Bite:

No Caption Provided

Uses it sort of like a taser:

No Caption Provided

In an unusual move, her Bite acts more like a classic taser, shooting out a line running electric current along it. It's sort of like a mix of her Line and her Bite:

No Caption Provided

Gauntlet Spikes

Her gauntlets now also shoot spikes. See two uses below.

And also darts with black widow poison.

Two more headshot examples of the spike:

Gas—both Widow’s Kiss and bombs

Blocks a point-blank shot and knocks him out with the Widow’s Kiss, a 24-hour knock-out gas:

No Caption Provided

Uses both gas and Bite against Black Panther.

Has gas bombs that blind you and make you feel drunk:

Uses tear gas bombs against Hand:

No Caption Provided

Uses smoke bombs:

No Caption Provided

Gas from her gauntlets

No Caption Provided

Bombs

Belt bombs blow up a train floor:

No Caption Provided

Uses a classic explosive grenade:

No Caption Provided

And another grenade.

And an adhesive bomb to shatter glass.

This "minor charge" makes a massive explosion.

Flash bomb:

No Caption Provided

Another flash bang:

No Caption Provided

Uses a time-delayed belt bomb:

No Caption Provided

She also uses a slingshot bomb:

No Caption Provided

Jumps out of a Helicarrier. ... She blows up the wall with some bombs and jumps out with no path for survival.

A bomb also makes a massive explosion out on a road.

And way back in the day, she uses a micro-bomb hidden underneath her thumbnail.

No Caption Provided

Other

Shoots what seems to be a power-disruption dart—in any case it’s some kind of dart that ends up disrupting the power:

No Caption Provided

Exudes some kind of blinding oil from her gloves or gauntlets

No Caption Provided

Has IR goggles:

No Caption Provided

More goggles:

No Caption Provided

A glider suit with a parachute:

Pulls a gas mask up out of her suit's collar:

No Caption Provided

Uses her gauntlets to open an electronic lock:

No Caption Provided

Uses a laser-cutter:

No Caption Provided

Gauntlet has a flare (also an example of durability, in swimming underwater in arctic temperatures with no problem):

No Caption Provided

Gauntlet has a homing signal:

No Caption Provided

Here she has claws:

No Caption Provided

She wears armored gloves even while in civilian clothes, enabling her to catch a knife:

No Caption Provided

Her gauntlets are also able to block a sword-stroke from Mr. X.

Uses a tool in her wristlets to start a car:

No Caption Provided

Natasha’s suit has suction cups that allow her to stick to walls (yes really):

A couple examples even in her first costume and her first appearance in her standard black catsuit. Does it recently.

Has anti-grav shoes!:

No Caption Provided

A variant explanation: it's "electro-molecular adhesers!"

No Caption Provided

AGILITY/DODGING/STEALTH

Natasha is noted for her graceful agility, and is an extremely effective dodger. Also note some examples under FIGHTING SKILLS where she knocks away guns that are shooting at her from point blank range.

Numerous instances of dodging gunfire, often machine gun fire, often from very close range. Note the grace with which she dodges--it's not hard for her to do this. In one example her hair is blonde (this is when she was disguised as Yelena Belova):

She fights Ivan. She dodges his point-blank gatling-style laser blasts:

No Caption Provided

Dodges gatling-gun machine gun fire, twice.

While she is mind-controlled, she dodges a bunch of close-range shots from Bucky. As it says, he's not trying to hit her, more herd her in a direction, but his comment about "she's too fast" implies that he probably couldn't hit her regardless. Also note the comment about her grace in dodging. And, she's playing him by actually dodging in the direction she wants to go. Slightly after he throws a knife and she dodges that too.

Drives a car on an overpass above the car she is chasing, leaps out of her car, off the bridge, and onto the speeding car below, in a feat of both timing and agility, then manages to stay on the hood of the speeding, swerving car with only her feet—no hands. This is totally beyond human ability.

While fighting an alternate-dimension counterpart of herself, she dodges Cap's thrown shield three times, and Cap comments, "Damn, she's fast."

Widow and Daredevil gymnastically run through gunfire to take out the shooter.

Widow (transformed to look like Belova) jumps up to grab some guns, flips, and shoots two guys while coming down.

Again as Belova, she is held at point-blank gunpoint, kicks the guns out of their hands, flips, and catches the guns.

Acrobatic dodge of a kick.

Acrobatic dodge of Red Guardian's energy blast.

And again.

Dodging up-close machine guns.

After a helicopter crash, Cap faceplants, but Widow lands on her feet.

Gymnastically dodges multiple energy blasts from a robot:

No Caption Provided

Dodges multiple point blank shots from two pistols:

No Caption Provided

Natasha often randomly throws in acrobatic flips and leaps that are beyond what is necessary to get from one place to another, as seen in the fifth panel here. She is naturally gymnastic:

No Caption Provided

Natasha somersaults out a window into the air:

No Caption Provided

She bounds up a wall and lands on a wire:

No Caption Provided

She runs along wires with Daredevil, bounds around, and climbs a wall with her suction cups:

No Caption Provided

Jumps from ridiculous height into water tower:

No Caption Provided

Casually runs along a wire that is high above the city:

No Caption Provided

A crazily high flip while fighting (upper right-hand corner):

No Caption Provided

Enormous leap down, while shooting.

Some more leaps.

Jumps out of a Helicarrier. This is interesting to compare with Elektra’s jump out of a helicarrier. Before this, she steals some stuff from SHIELD, and fights past a bunch of agents. Then, as shown here, she blows up the wall with some bombs and jumps out with no path for survival. SHIELD agents follow in a flying car and jetpacks. In the air, she maneuvers herself into the car and ejects the drive. Then she ties one of the jetpack guys to the car, which falls. She pretends that she’s scared so one jetpack guy grabs her, then steal his pack. When the agent blows up her pack, she falls safely on a car and drives away on a stolen motorcycle. As the agent says, “she turns a 40,000 foot fall into a ballet.” It is impressive to have made the jump without knowing for sure what would happen, but more so it is the grace with which she did it—doing something with grace like that makes it clear how easy it is for her.

More dodging:

Senses an incoming sniper shot from a distance and avoids it:

Gymnastically dodges a giant robot arm:

No Caption Provided

Dodges three shots from Punisher:

No Caption Provided

From a point-blank handgun:

No Caption Provided

Closes in to Federal Dynamo quickly enough to knock his blasting arm aside

No Caption Provided

Dodges Federal Dynamo's multiple close-range rapid-fire blasts.

No Caption Provided

Dodges multiple shots from Madame Masque, and also deflects a point-blank shot from her with her gauntlets.

Dodges nearby hand gun fire (notable for its gymnastic quality):

No Caption Provided

Stealth: Weirdly I haven't collected more examples of this.

There are so many examples of infiltration, I'm just showing this one example where she quickly infiltrates the new Red Room.

She is caught in this guy's stream of water, which is his body, and escapes out of it without him noticing.

Drops a tracer in a guy's pocket and takes out a bag.

Her white suit is invisible to cameras.

No Caption Provided

After Spider-man sneaks up on her in one issue, she later sneaks up on him, and is able to tap him on the shoulder simultaneously with his spider-sense going off, and before he can react (also notable because when he sneaks up on her, she is able to grab and throw him, while when she sneaks up on him, he just flips away):

No Caption Provided

DURABILITY

As seen below, Natasha has some pretty solid blunt force durability with multiple falls from a great distance, and some excellent pain tolerance.

See fight with Weeping Lion (smashed against wall, no pain)

Hit against a wall by Black Dwarf ... who is massively super-strong ... and is up and jumping around on the next page.

Similarly, here she takes a punch directly in the face by an enhanced golem-like LMD, whose next punch caves in a wall, and she gets up immediately after with no problems:

Stays awake during major abdominal surgery without anesthesia. She can’t move at all or they’ll nick her organs. This is a crazy display of pain tolerance and body control:

This is a great scene not only for durability but also fighting style: she lets herself get beat up for a while, then takes out the guards while still tied up.

She takes a knife in the shoulder to avoid worse injury; she has a bit of a history of doing this—stoically accepting an injury for tactical reasons:

No Caption Provided

Intentionally takes a bullet in the shoulder to kick a guy; and then falls many stories to the street and is basically fine.

Intentionally allows herself to be tortured, then once the plot has advanced as she wishes, she unties herself and leaves.

Waterboarded, and is fine (also remembers other examples of torture). Beats the guy up right after.

Is unusually tolerant of poisons:

No Caption Provided

During Elektra’s first attempted resurrection, Natasha fights some Hand, taking an arrow in the shoulder without a peep (she does turn out to be pretty injured later, but in the moment, completely ignores it)

Survives lengthy fall into water:

No Caption Provided

Falls an enormous height out of building, bounces off sign and hits car, and is basically fine:

No Caption Provided

STRENGTH

Holds on to a staff against a raging waterfall with one arm. (Last few pages in the scan) With this amount of water, the power of the flow would be incredibly strong, it would be very hard to hold on here.

Rips off robot’s arm. And in the same situation, also breaks robots a couple more times.

Pushes a pretty heavy chair back with only her toes—must be very strong toes!

Grabs a fat guy and throws him out of a car window.

No Caption Provided

Stabs a fat guy and lifts him up at the end of a pole and tosses him.

No Caption Provided

See also Bucky comment about not realizing her strength:

No Caption Provided

Knees through a door:

No Caption Provided

Holds a guy off a ledge with one arm:

No Caption Provided

Chops three thick board in half.

No Caption Provided

Two examples of hanging off the side of a building--once just using her arm to hold on, once while holding her line and wedging herself against the building. This looks easy but would take decent grip and arm strength.

Picks up a guy on her shoulder and carries him off with no seeming effort.

Jumps off the side of a boat and grabs onto a port-hole ledge, arresting quite a bit of momentum with just small finger-holds in that move. Then she holds herself up with one arm for a while.

No Caption Provided

In this fight with guards she threw a guy over her back, not really seeming to use martial arts/leverage to do it:

No Caption Provided

TACTICS/PREP

This are only a few representative examples. Black Widow is noted for long-term strategies and cons, and for breaking into challenging locations.

Outsmarts Tony Stark. Stark is after her for kidnapping the guy who helped him first build the Iron Man suit when she was much younger. She plays on Stark’s weaknesses by using a fake phone call and make up, then KOs him and breaks into his computer system (and steals some of his tech, not shown here).

Absurd prep—has fake skin on her back to cover a bow and arrow. Fingernail has electric charge (or something) to blow up plastic explosive. Also one-shots a mind-controlled Ivan.

And she did the same thing earlier--she has a kit for a field disruptor rifle under a false back.

She passes a lockpick to Daredevil via a kiss...which he then realizes she kept in her stomach.

The entire plot of one miniseries is that she was willing to have painful plastic surgery done on her to look like Yelena Belova, and then have the surgery reversed after finishing the con. This is, just to point out, crazy! Then she does it again, this time using a drug.

Works with Punisher to make complicated plan to fake Frank's death, where she shoots him off the side of a building, where he is caught by Ghost Rider.

STATS

Black Widow has kept her youth due to a longevity potion from the Russian government, which also seems to have increased her physical stats, including strength, speed, and durability.

Stats: Intelligence 3 (learned), Strength 3 (peak human: lift twice body weight), Speed 2 (normal—“the ability to move over land by running or flight—next level, 3, is up to 700mph), Durability 3 (enhanced), energy projection 3 (short range and duration, single energy type), fighting skills 6 (master of several forms of combat)

No Caption Provided

Willingness to Do Whatever It Takes

Nat fights and kills pretty viciously under the right circumstances.

Crushes a guy's head in a car door:

No Caption Provided

Ties some dead guys up to a car to make a point.

James a pool cue in a guy's throat:

No Caption Provided

Kicks through a knee, cuts off a leg below the knee:

While she was working as an assassin for the Soviets, she not only killed a good friend of hers in cold blood because those were her orders, she then proceeded to kill their cat just to tie up loose ends!

She threatens (and means it) to shoot the Punisher unless he does something for her, and she threatens to kneecap a pretty innocent guy for information.

Cuts a guy's arms off as revenge for what he did to a girl:

No Caption Provided

OTHER

Good at disguise. Tricks Taskmaster, even though he can read movements, plus, knows that by wearing an eyepatch, no one can recognize her ;)

Spits in a guy’s face, manipulating him into reacting in such a way that he drops a needle exactly where she can grab it and unlock the cuffs. Incredible timing, accuracy, and intuition, not to mention needles aren’t great for lock picking.

No Caption Provided

Manages to poison Lady Bullseye without her knowing it.

She was resurrected by the Chaste after being killed by the Hand’s disintegrating poison. Sometimes people resurrected by the Hand in a similar manner have increased physical stats; this, in addition to her Super Soldier Serum, may explain her stats:

No Caption Provided

Daredevil can't tell if she's lying:

No Caption Provided

Her heartbeat is under enough control to keep Daredevil from reading it:

No Caption Provided

Wolverine thinks it’s a joke that he’s supposed to be her protector; obviously he thinks she can take care of herself better than he can take care of her:

No Caption Provided

She is described as “running circles around men and women who possess ten times her strength”

Fighting SHIELD and Nick Fury. She breaks an agent’s neck and disarms him in one move. In fighting Fury, an agent says, “this is the Black Widow we’re talking about. There was never any questions about whether she’d get the upper hand, just how long it’d take her.”

A Federal Dynamo, basically a low-level Crimson Dynamo, knows she's going to toast him as soon as he runs into her.

The other Avengers try to interrogate a guy and fail, but she succeeds in minutes.

This is more her own self-assessment, and certainly imbued with class Stan Lee hyperbole, but she describes herself as having "powers enough to be a challenge to Iron Man."

No Caption Provided

IS AWESOME

No Caption Provided
    Fetts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: Wow! No by all means add all the feats you want. It's what the respect thread is for. I can't look at this all right now, but it's looking good man! Looking good!

Natedogg_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have people's opinions changed about Black Widow? I personally really would love to see this movie made. I think if it is done as a spy/thriller it would be a fantastic movie. I want the movie to focus on her, but if Bucky/Winter Soldier joins her in her missions I think it would only make it a better movie.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By owie  Moderator

Bump. I've made several big additions to my post above (post 19). Next step will be to clean it up a little, it's getting a little rag-tag as it has expanded.

EDIT: As I noted above, my post is no longer legible due to formatting problems, so I created a new thread for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.