Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3336 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Reggie Hudlin Talks Black Panther Animated Series

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    We have been hearing about the release of a Black Panther animated series for a long time, but for whatever reason, delays have kept Reggie Hudlin, the Executive Producer on the series, from being able to release the show in the United States. You may have seen the clips of the cartoon, however, on Youtube as it had been released in Australia earlier last year. Well, if you are a Black Panther fan and had been looking forward to the release of the series, then you will be happy to hear that it has officially hit the iTunes store. Here, you can purchase all twelve episodes for $1.99 each, which is not bad considering it costs less than a comic. I caught up with Reggie to talk about the release of the series and why he chose to do it through iTunes rather than through BET, as was initially planned. To view the awesome trailer for the show, check out the iTunes page here

Comicvine: Last year at SDCC you previewed the animated BP series during the Black Panel. Is this the same series we saw last summer?
    Reggie Hudlin: Yes, it is.
     == TEASER ==
    CV: Many fans of Black Panther's character have been waiting years for the release of the show, and over a year ago it had been rumored that the series would be televised on BET. What happened to that deal?
    RH:  The broadcast of the show is still being negotiated.  In the mean time, we wanted to public to see it, so given Marvel’s success in this platform, we decide to try this approach.

CV: First, why iTunes? And are you excited about the web release of the show? Do you think that iTunes will reach a wider audience/demographic?
    RH:  Well, it’s an experiment.  The Black Panther has always had a way more diverse readership than most comics, and I don’t just mean racially.  So it could be a good way to connect to folks who would love the story but have no idea where a comic book store is.  The challenge is making them aware that it’s there to check out. 

CV: The style of animation is very different and is somewhere in a cross between animation and motion comics. How is this show different? Can you tell us a little bit about the creative process?
    RH:  It was a real collaboration between, myself, Denys Cowan and the amazing team at titmouse. We added material, we cut material, we did a lot of experimentation with what would work from the original art once it was put in flash.  Sometimes we would be mad frustrated, sometimes we would be very pleased with ourselves.  But the point was to do this at a relatively low cost so we could do a show that maintained the integrity of the comic book.
    The Black Panther storylines that sold the best, that seem to have the most enduring resonance, are the ones with a heavy political subtext. That’s logical, given that the character is a world leader and the symbolism of his title.   Most animated shows are either for children, or are comedies about families.  The Black Panther is neither.  The only reason I did the comic was to tell the story as I felt it should be told, and the result was the most popular version of the character.  Through a very unusual set of circumstances I was able to produce this series and maintain that tone and integrity.

CV: How much of what we will see in this series is derived from the comic books?
    RH:  The bulk of it is from the WHO IS THE BLACK PANTHER storyline, my first six issues of Black Panther.  But I also incorporated some elements of Eric Jerome Dickey’s STORM storyline, and wrote some original material as well. 
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

I really wanna see this
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Video_Martian

I'll check this out.

Bandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bandito

This series looks great, and "Who is the Black Panther" is one of my favorite T'Challa stories.

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ComicCrazy

Yeah it was a great show but it only has six episodes but they still rock. I live in Australia so I got to see it last year.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Gylan Thomas

I'm not so sure.
    Looks more like a motion comic.
    Room for improvement :(

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

To be honest the animation style doesn't appeal to me especially because it mimics that of Romita Jr. and I am just not a fan of his art... but the story sounds interesting so I might watch this...

dirtymik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dirtymik

Just watched the trailer for this and it looks pretty good. Want to see this now.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I was really confused about why they choose to go with iTunes? Besides the obvious reasons, why BET and not Cartoon Network? He kind of answers that question. Seems they aren't aiming for the traditional cartoon audience. That's risky, but I hope it pays off for him. Still comes off as weird though. I remember Boondocks doing pretty well on [adult swim].
    It looks like the smart choice to go with iTunes when you think about it, but it's advertising that is going to seriously lack.

I know pretty much everyone animates shows trying to be low cost as possible, but I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone use that information as a selling point for the series. It's like he's bragging they didn't want to spend too much.

Stormultt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stormultt

Lame!
    CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By CaptainUseless
    @cattlebattle said:
    " I really wanna see this "
    Mr MajestiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr MajestiK
    @Stormultt: 

I knew you'd say that. LOL!
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " I was really confused about why they choose to go with iTunes? Besides the obvious reasons, why BET and not Cartoon Network? He kind of answers that question. Seems they aren't aiming for the traditional cartoon audience. That's risky, but I hope it pays off for him. Still comes off as weird though. I remember Boondocks doing pretty well on [adult swim].
    It looks like the smart choice to go with iTunes when you think about it, but it's advertising that is going to seriously lack.  I know pretty much everyone animates shows trying to be low cost as possible, but I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone use that information as a selling point for the series. It's like he's bragging they didn't want to spend too much. "
    I'm confused by the same thing.I can only imagine how much popular Black Panther would be if it would get the same attention as Boondocks.I'm thinking Black Panther's animated series will end up like Spider-Woman's motion comic.(Easily Forgotten)
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Static Shock

It was aight.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jhazzroucher

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.