Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3342 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Mr. Smarty Pants

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Edited By A_O_N

In the latest issue of Black Panther: Man Without Fear, Black Panther states he's the eighth smartest man in the world.

No Caption Provided

This reference comes up occasionally having come up before in Mighty Avengers and some Hulk issue.

The list (I'm not entirely sure on this so feel free to check):
    1. Reed Richards
    2. Dr. Doom
    3. Tony Stark
    4. Bruce Banner
    5. Beast
    6. Hank Pym
    7. Amadeus Cho
    8. Black Panther

Spidey states that they never rank him in this list. I for one think he is an eligible contender. Sure he's only supposed to be a little smarter than the average guy to make him relatable but recently he's made these new really powerful suits in Amazing Spider-man and he's always able to use his brain whenever he runs into a tight spot. He's able to check up on Reed's math and he's come up with solutions faster than Iron Man. So where would you rank him?

Also, you must have noticed that there are no women on this list. Surely you'd think one be smart enough to be in the top 10 category. All I can think of Valeria Richards,who is a ten year old and might be smarter than Reed.

So who do you think are the top 10 smartest humans in Marvel?
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

In order;

1. High Evolutionary
    2. (HUGE SIGH, worst idea ever, CHILDREN SUCK) Valeria Richards
    3. Reed Richards
    4. Doctor Doom
    5. Hank Pym
    6. Tony Stark
    7. Bruce Banner
    8. The Leader

Pete would be in the top 12 with T'Challa, McCoy and Cho.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

My top ten human characters are off panel in random locations in the MU Earth. =p
    They are boring and mundane but do a few things better than most. Things to do with numbers and patterns and all that. Otherwise pretty normal. Maybe prone to having headaches. 

Girls! Don't forget Alyssa Moy. (Sue has been written to be super smart at various periods as well). Non FF writers forget her (AM) all the time. Only directly hero/villain characters can be smart after all! (well the list is more like an in joke really)

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By A_O_N
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  Nice you put Val over Reed. Is High Evolutionary human? You can go to 10 if you want.
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By A_O_N
    @SC:  The first time it came I thought it was a joke. But it comes up quite often so I thought Marvel might be trying to make it official.
    Although you were being sarcastic, the list means nothing if we don't know what the characters are capable of. So I don't think it can be off-panel characters. ;p
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @A_O_N said:
    " @SC:  The first time it came I thought it was a joke. But it comes up quite often so I thought Marvel might be trying to make it official. Although you were being sarcastic, the list means nothing if we don't know what the characters are capable of. So I don't think it can be off-panel characters. ;p "

Me too! I think its just writers referencing each other. Plus not all of them will. The smarter writers will ignore the others. You probably won't see Ellis of Hickman have Reed or Beast refer to intelligence and lists. 

Oh, I meant off panel as in because of real life application. Intelligence/smartness =/= effectiveness or ability to sound, appear smart/intelligence. 

Its too bad that Marvel is willing to list intelligence like this instead of strength because they know what would happen if they oversimplified strength like this LOL
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Loki9876
    @FadeToBlackBolt:  very good list
    one note the list they mention are for people on earth I know high evolutionary was human but now he is always in space
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By A_O_N
    @SC:  Yes with strength it is even more obvious. I feel that even this list is just a conversation starter. I already challenged it in the opening with considering Spider-man and Val. I don't feel it's entirely objective.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @A_O_N said:
    " @SC:  Yes with strength it is even more obvious. I feel that even this list is just a conversation starter. I already challenged it in the opening with considering Spider-man and Val. I don't feel it's entirely objective. "

I agree, in one sense, since I believe strength is relatively more simple. At the same time, I don't find it obvious, rather extremely, extremely complicated. Even though in real life, where we can objectively measure strength, we would never get a perfect list of the ten strongest people that ever lived. Strength is applied in so many different ways and contexts. With fiction, in one way we might be able to circumvent that with word of god, but Marvel is a shared Universe and writers know that they disagree with each other. Word of god is neutralized and the same issues you get in real life occur as default except in a hyper exaggerated fashion since most strong characters have no known limits to strength and for many its a just a plot thing. Objective measurement becomes impossible. Still. Strength is a thousand times simpler than intelligence. 

Oh yes, don't get me wrong either. These lists are cool to discuss and so on. Conversation starters and all. ^_^
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By A_O_N
    @SC: I didn't use obvious properly. I actually think it might be harder to make a strength list than intelligence. It would probably generate too much backslash among the fans. And, there are way too many contenders from Hulk to Thor to Silver Surfer.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Loki9876: Thanks =] The OP specified "humans in Marvel" not necessarily human on Earth, so I thought that the HE would be ok :)

@A_O_N said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt:  Nice you put Val over Reed. Is High Evolutionary human? You can go to 10 if you want. "

He started out human, whether he still is is up to debate. Reed Richards'  biological make up is barely human either, so I think HE should count.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#11  Edited By RazzaTazz

Funny how there are no females in Marvel but in DC there would be at least two (Barbara Gordon, Wonder Woman)

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By A_O_N
    @RazzaTazz:  Funny that you are the one to pick up on this but it is fitting ;p
    Marvel does have Val so a girl that can compete in the men's league at least gives some level of acknowledgement. She easily steals the spotlight and makes more a mockery out of everyone else as being the only kid in the ranks and It only makes you wonder what she would be capable if she were a teen or an adult. But there should be more women.
    Also, I don't think Wonder Woman would qualify as one of the smartest in the DC Universe unless you can give any reasons. DC is probably going to have the same problem as Marvel. It might have to do with the fact that comics began before women had the right to vote, most were portrayed as only damsels in distress and you know, men had more access to education which therefore lead to doing the more interesting stuff. Sure things have changed, but most females in either Marvel or DC haven't had much success in carrying their own series; it only lasts a short period (the only exception being WW). Not having your own series means you are less known, more likely to be subservient to the plot and therefore can easily end up as a refrigerator.
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @A_O_N: Sure I can explain, it is not a scientific genius like they have in Marvel but Diana has god given wisdom which puts her on par with any other genius in terms of intelligence (wisdom is an aspect of intelligence)
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By A_O_N
    @RazzaTazz:  Can you give any example that showcases this power?
    RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazzaTazz

I would have to look for specific instances, her wiki page describes it in more detail.  

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By A_O_N
    @RazzaTazz:  I feel that it is more like Ares how he knows all this tactical strategies about war etc. I'm not convinced that it should count.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By John Valentine

I'd say Peter Parker is way smarter than the average person. He's a genius Quantum Physicist, right? The average person is actually pretty dumb.

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By A_O_N
    @John Valentine: Just the fact that he can come up with a solution for any situation he gets stuck in should compensate I think. But he's either Physicist or has an advanced degree in Chemistry. Maybe both.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By John Valentine
    @A_O_N said:
    " @John Valentine: Just the fact that he can come up with a solution for any situation he gets stuck in should compensate I think. But he's either Physicist or has an advanced degree in Chemistry. Maybe both. "
    Sorry, he has a Master's Degree in Biochem from E.S.U. I'm confusing mainstream PP with the movies.
    I'm surprised he hasn't done a PhD, or whatever. Wasn't he lecturing Uni Students at one point?
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By A_O_N
    @John Valentine:  Yes he was Chem Professor around the time he joined New Avengers.
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By azza04

Didn't Peter score as high as Reed in some exams?

A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By A_O_N
    @azza04:  Maybe. But can exams measure intelligence?
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By azza04
    @A_O_N:  Yeah of course they do. Peter is not at Reeds level now though as he choose the path of crime fighting. He's still pretty smart though. Hank Pym has even complimented Peter on his smarts, i think Peter said to him "If i live to forty i'll retire and we will cure cancer together".
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By A_O_N
    @azza04:  Yea I think that too. I don't know why he gets ignored.
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By azza04
    @A_O_N:  I think it's because he usually doesn't take things very seriously. He's always cracking a terrible joke or something which makes people think he's immature or just an idiot. But Peter has manage to defeat opponents far more powerful than himself using a combination of his powers and intelligence. =D
    A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By A_O_N
    @azza04:  That's true but he's also the most serious. With his great powers mantra and saving people. He probably spends the most time being a hero.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.