Marvel Launches New Video Series with Black Panther

Avatar image for gmanfromheck
Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther #2 is in stores today. You might have missed the first if it sold out. Perhaps, like me, sometimes you get overwhelmed keeping track of the vast number of comics you read and need a little refresher on what happened last time. Marvel has you covered either way. Launching a new video series, Marvel is recapping what happened. You can listen to move to the beat as "Oh My Darling" by hip-hop group Run the Jewels plays in the background.

Today, Marvel Comics continues to present this year’s breakout Marvel Super Hero – the Black Panther – through a monthly video series that masterfully merges animated comics, commentary from Black Panther writer, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and, for the first episode, a pulse-pounding musical score from one of today’s most critically acclaimed hip-hop groups, Run The Jewels.

No Caption Provided

This new video series is designed to present the world of Black Panther to a whole new audience timed with his cinematic debut in Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War” and will offer fans a monthly recap of the best-selling comic book series.

Black Panther #1, written by The Atlantic national correspondent and National Book Award winner, Ta-Nehisi Coates, accompanied with outstanding art by Brian Stelfreeze, garnered international buzz and attention upon the announcement of this series in 2015 and debuted as the best-selling comic for the month of April. Continuing the excitement surrounding Marvel’s celebrated Super Hero T’Challa, the Black Panther, the first episode of this groundbreaking multi-artist hip-hop-inspired video series samples the unmistakable beat of Run The Jewel’s “Oh My Darling.”

“With the Black Panther capturing the hearts and minds of fans around the world, we are making an all-out press for their eyes and ears,” says Marvel Editor in Chief, Axel Alonso. “And who better to make our opening statement than the sonically groundbreaking duo, El-P and Killer Mike – A.K.A. Run the Jewels?”

Black Panther #2 is available digitally through the Marvel Digital Comic Shop and at all local comic book retailers. To find a comic shop near you, visit www.comicshoplocator.com or call 1-888-comicbook.

What do you think of this new video series?

Avatar image for bl00dwerk
#1 Posted by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

The music sucks...

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#2 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

The music sucks...

Agreed.

Also, why does a comic about an African king have crappy techno-rap?

Avatar image for bl00dwerk
#3 Posted by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

@bl00dwerk said:

The music sucks...

Agreed.

Also, why does a comic about an African king have crappy techno-rap?

Don't know, but that was like trying to watch a highlight video for a football player. Always rap...

Avatar image for ecstaticgrace
#4 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

I need an animated series for Panther!

Avatar image for sbr999
#5 Posted by xsbrx (205 posts) - - Show Bio

That headache inducing noise (music?) in the background was rather distracting.

Avatar image for cattlebattle
#6 Posted by cattlebattle (17765 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would any person buy that Black Panther series?? Ta-Neishi Coates is a racist.

If David Duke was given a comic book series to write Marvel would be boycotted to infinity.

Double standards.

Avatar image for bl00dwerk
#7 Posted by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would any person buy that Black Panther series?? Ta-Neishi Coates is a racist.

Wasn't there a racist undertone in the preview of the first issue? I could be wrong...

Avatar image for novi_homines
#8 Posted by novi_homines (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: lol that's the silliest thing I've ever heard. How is he a racist? Because he talks about racism?

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#9 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday said:
@bl00dwerk said:

The music sucks...

Agreed.

Also, why does a comic about an African king have crappy techno-rap?

Don't know, but that was like trying to watch a highlight video for a football player. Always rap...

Yep because lets reduce all black characters to rap. It's not like T'Challa is a highly educated, highly trained nobleman with diplomatic skills that rivaled his fathers or that he has saved the world and fought against everything from terrorists to living nightmares.

Marvel gives me a headache sometimes

Avatar image for timelordscience
#10 Posted by TimeLordScience (1940 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: you act as if rap is something to be reduced to and not an art form itself. You're coming from a very ignorant position.

Avatar image for novi_homines
#11 Edited by novi_homines (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelordscience: An extremely ignorant perspective. Did he really just use education, diplomatic skills, and kingship as a reason for why rap doesn't align with him? Does he not realize the our president of the United States listens to rap? And has relationships to Kendrick Lamar and other rap artists?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
#12 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (12493 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO at these comments. What else did I expect from a comic site?

Run the Jewels baybay!!!

~MiB

Avatar image for bl00dwerk
#13 Posted by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: you act as if rap is something to be reduced to and not an art form itself.

I think it's more Black = Rap than any insult towards rap, itself. Like sticking country on southerners...

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#14 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: you act as if rap is something to be reduced to and not an art form itself. You're coming from a very ignorant position.

It is reductive. You're taking an African king, a warrior and a hero and applying rap to him, essentially associating rap with any black hero simply because they're black. Your wanton acceptance of it is the real ignorance.

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#15 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@timelordscience said:

@doc-holiday: you act as if rap is something to be reduced to and not an art form itself.

I think it's more Black = Rap than any insult towards rap, itself. Like sticking country on southerners...

Which is like saying this should be played for all Asian heroes

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ecstaticgrace
#16 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

@bl00dwerk said:

The music sucks...

Agreed.

Also, why does a comic about an African king have crappy techno-rap?

No Caption Provided

Wakanda's finest gets the best

Avatar image for bl00dwerk
#17 Edited by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday said:
@bl00dwerk said:

The music sucks...

Agreed.

Also, why does a comic about an African king have crappy techno-rap?

No Caption Provided

Wakanda's finest gets the best

Dude, I HAD that album! The Uncle L one, not the T-Challa record! :)

Avatar image for dedpool
#18 Posted by Dedpool (692 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace: ANOTHER one! Technically the first was an animated comic, but I agree!

Avatar image for lunarstorm
#19 Posted by Lunarstorm (298 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao is this for real? Vixen animated show is much better than this.

Avatar image for bruthajosh
#20 Posted by bruthajosh (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah White people don't ya love em.....

Avatar image for ostyo
#21 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: Because he's black, he must have rap music. They could have done something cool like the Civil War film did for his theme, but nope...rap because he's black.

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#22 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@ostyo said:

@doc-holiday: Because he's black, he must have rap music. They could have done something cool like the Civil War film did for his theme, but nope...rap because he's black.

Oh yeah, Civil War had great music/sound effects. I loved all of it.

Marvel however, even with their super (please don't think we're racist) new avengers, still finds a way to be offensive. Black Panther = just any black guy anywhere

Avatar image for ostyo
#23 Posted by Ostyo (14103 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday: Yeah, big reason I don't read many comics anymore.

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#24 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@ostyo said:

@doc-holiday: Yeah, big reason I don't read many comics anymore.

I do but from Valiant, Image and Dark Horse largely because they are smaller and not trying to maintain the same numbers. They are also new and have different types of super heroes, some with the classic cape style but usually the characters themselves are deeper, unique and not as 2-dimensional as Marvel or DC.

Avatar image for heatblaze
#25 Posted by Heatblaze (10400 posts) - - Show Bio

@ostyo said:

@doc-holiday: Yeah, big reason I don't read many comics anymore.

Long time no see bro.

Avatar image for renny
#26 Posted by Renny (3353 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny. I really didn't pay that much attention to the music.

Avatar image for thomaselliot
#27 Posted by ThomasElliot (439 posts) - - Show Bio

The other day my mom had some country music thing on TV and I saw:

- A country girl rapping, and

- A country guy doing a trap-style/R&b slow jam song

Cowboy Pop Music Modern Country Music is the worst crap on the planet.

Run The Jewels FTW.

Also, people that can't enjoy a little of something from every genre of music are either:

- People who don't really like or appreciate music... probably listen to god-awful radio all day, or

- Idiots

Avatar image for nfareed71024
#28 Posted by nfareed71024 (256 posts) - - Show Bio

people just looking to complain. The video and music were okay. And Coates is not racist at all. Pure foolishness.

Avatar image for mrkareemruiz
#29 Posted by mrkareemruiz (477 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how to see white people trying to confuse black people into thinking white people are not racist.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#30 Posted by StMichalofWilson (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Neat

Avatar image for shinobi62676
#31 Posted by shinobi62676 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would any person buy that Black Panther series?? Ta-Neishi Coates is a racist.

If David Duke was given a comic book series to write Marvel would be boycotted to infinity.

Double standards.

Where the hell is this coming from? I mean that's a strong accusation, got anything to back it up?

Avatar image for shinobi62676
#32 Posted by shinobi62676 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@sbr999: @ostyo: @doc-holiday: @bl00dwerk:

I don't even know where to start with y'all.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fan of Hip-Hop music. He wanted to promote his series using a video that, let's be honest, has a hell of a better chance of getting the casuals interested cause the fact remains that Hip-Hop is a very attractive form of music for the general population and potential comic buyers in this day and age.

And WTH is "crappy techno-rap" supposed to mean?! This is Run the Jewels! You associating Run the Jewels with "crap" shows your own damn ignorance about the medium considering what else is out there. And your Black=Rap argument really falls apart when you find out how in the duo Run the Jewels, of the guys is white.

At the end of the day, Hip-Hop has long since evolved to a level that calling it "reductive" is an insult and saying it's an art form "beneath" an African King is bullshit to a high degree considering it's global appeal (hell even Marvel has embraced it as a whole with all of their Hip-Hop variant covers).

And not everything has to be a goddamn fancy ass film score (which actually annoys me so much about so many games in this day in age now that I think about it; trying so hard to be like a movie to the point of irritation; that's why Castlevania music will always sound better than most modern game soundtracks)! This was done cause it was fun and Black Panther's style, NO Marvel's style, works with Hip Hop.

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#33 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@sbr999: @ostyo: @doc-holiday: @bl00dwerk:

I don't even know where to start with y'all.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fan of Hip-Hop music. He wanted to promote his series using a video that, let's be honest, has a hell of a better chance of getting the casuals interested cause the fact remains that Hip-Hop is a very attractive form of music for the general population and potential comic buyers in this day and age.

And WTH is "crappy techno-rap" supposed to mean?! This is Run the Jewels! You associating Run the Jewels with "crap" shows your own damn ignorance about the medium considering what else is out there. And your Black=Rap argument really falls apart when you find out how in the duo Run the Jewels, of the guys is white.

At the end of the day, Hip-Hop has long since evolved to a level that calling it "reductive" is an insult and saying it's an art form "beneath" an African King is bullshit to a high degree considering it's global appeal (hell even Marvel has embraced it as a whole with all of their Hip-Hop variant covers).

And not everything has to be a goddamn fancy ass film score (which actually annoys me so much about so many games in this day in age now that I think about it; trying so hard to be like a movie to the point of irritation; that's why Castlevania music will always sound better than most modern game soundtracks)! This was done cause it was fun and Black Panther's style, NO Marvel's style, works with Hip Hop.

Marvel is a bunch of pandering morons who if tomorrow, it were popular to have a character punch a woman, you can be there would be a lot of female characters getting struck in the face.

As for music, I do not see most hip-hop as an art form. It's played out garbage that doesn't take the skill or tenacity that a major musical score does.

I could agree if this were older hip-hop and rap that took legitimate talent but most of it is pumped out by major record labels and not for the sake of music

In the end, music is subjective and I think what this sounds like is records being scraped together in a scrapyard as a compactor is being used to crush mid-90s sports vehicles.

Avatar image for shinobi62676
#34 Posted by shinobi62676 (147 posts) - - Show Bio
@shinobi62676 said:

@sbr999: @ostyo: @doc-holiday: @bl00dwerk:

I don't even know where to start with y'all.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fan of Hip-Hop music. He wanted to promote his series using a video that, let's be honest, has a hell of a better chance of getting the casuals interested cause the fact remains that Hip-Hop is a very attractive form of music for the general population and potential comic buyers in this day and age.

And WTH is "crappy techno-rap" supposed to mean?! This is Run the Jewels! You associating Run the Jewels with "crap" shows your own damn ignorance about the medium considering what else is out there. And your Black=Rap argument really falls apart when you find out how in the duo Run the Jewels, of the guys is white.

At the end of the day, Hip-Hop has long since evolved to a level that calling it "reductive" is an insult and saying it's an art form "beneath" an African King is bullshit to a high degree considering it's global appeal (hell even Marvel has embraced it as a whole with all of their Hip-Hop variant covers).

And not everything has to be a goddamn fancy ass film score (which actually annoys me so much about so many games in this day in age now that I think about it; trying so hard to be like a movie to the point of irritation; that's why Castlevania music will always sound better than most modern game soundtracks)! This was done cause it was fun and Black Panther's style, NO Marvel's style, works with Hip Hop.

Marvel is a bunch of pandering morons who if tomorrow, it were popular to have a character punch a woman, you can be there would be a lot of female characters getting struck in the face.

As for music, I do not see most hip-hop as an art form. It's played out garbage that doesn't take the skill or tenacity that a major musical score does.

I could agree if this were older hip-hop and rap that took legitimate talent but most of it is pumped out by major record labels and not for the sake of music

In the end, music is subjective and I think what this sounds like is records being scraped together in a scrapyard as a compactor is being used to crush mid-90s sports vehicles.

As far as calling Marvel a bunch of panderers, let's just say I'm not gonna agree or disagree with that statement.

As far as your comments on Hip-Hop is concerned, HA! The sheer fact that you don't even consider it an art form shows that it would be a waste of time for me to try to convince you otherwise. I'll respect your opinion about disliking Hip-Hop, but that doesn't mean I gotta buy your reasoning.

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#35 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday said:
@shinobi62676 said:

@sbr999: @ostyo: @doc-holiday: @bl00dwerk:

I don't even know where to start with y'all.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fan of Hip-Hop music. He wanted to promote his series using a video that, let's be honest, has a hell of a better chance of getting the casuals interested cause the fact remains that Hip-Hop is a very attractive form of music for the general population and potential comic buyers in this day and age.

And WTH is "crappy techno-rap" supposed to mean?! This is Run the Jewels! You associating Run the Jewels with "crap" shows your own damn ignorance about the medium considering what else is out there. And your Black=Rap argument really falls apart when you find out how in the duo Run the Jewels, of the guys is white.

At the end of the day, Hip-Hop has long since evolved to a level that calling it "reductive" is an insult and saying it's an art form "beneath" an African King is bullshit to a high degree considering it's global appeal (hell even Marvel has embraced it as a whole with all of their Hip-Hop variant covers).

And not everything has to be a goddamn fancy ass film score (which actually annoys me so much about so many games in this day in age now that I think about it; trying so hard to be like a movie to the point of irritation; that's why Castlevania music will always sound better than most modern game soundtracks)! This was done cause it was fun and Black Panther's style, NO Marvel's style, works with Hip Hop.

Marvel is a bunch of pandering morons who if tomorrow, it were popular to have a character punch a woman, you can be there would be a lot of female characters getting struck in the face.

As for music, I do not see most hip-hop as an art form. It's played out garbage that doesn't take the skill or tenacity that a major musical score does.

I could agree if this were older hip-hop and rap that took legitimate talent but most of it is pumped out by major record labels and not for the sake of music

In the end, music is subjective and I think what this sounds like is records being scraped together in a scrapyard as a compactor is being used to crush mid-90s sports vehicles.

As far as calling Marvel a bunch of panderers, let's just say I'm not gonna agree or disagree with that statement.

As far as your comments on Hip-Hop is concerned, HA! The sheer fact that you don't even consider it an art form shows that it would be a waste of time for me to try to convince you otherwise. I'll respect your opinion about disliking Hip-Hop, but that doesn't mean I gotta buy your reasoning.

Cool. I don't care.

Not everyone has to agree on everything and not everyone has to like the music you like or view it as an art form.

You might think all photography is art but I think that it depends upon skill and not just any 16 year old girl who sets a digital camera to black and white is an artist. That is what modern hip hop is to me, the artistic equivalent of a 16 year old girl with a digital camera set to black and white. The easy road.

Avatar image for shinobi62676
#36 Posted by shinobi62676 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@shinobi62676 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@shinobi62676 said:

@sbr999: @ostyo: @doc-holiday: @bl00dwerk:

I don't even know where to start with y'all.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fan of Hip-Hop music. He wanted to promote his series using a video that, let's be honest, has a hell of a better chance of getting the casuals interested cause the fact remains that Hip-Hop is a very attractive form of music for the general population and potential comic buyers in this day and age.

And WTH is "crappy techno-rap" supposed to mean?! This is Run the Jewels! You associating Run the Jewels with "crap" shows your own damn ignorance about the medium considering what else is out there. And your Black=Rap argument really falls apart when you find out how in the duo Run the Jewels, of the guys is white.

At the end of the day, Hip-Hop has long since evolved to a level that calling it "reductive" is an insult and saying it's an art form "beneath" an African King is bullshit to a high degree considering it's global appeal (hell even Marvel has embraced it as a whole with all of their Hip-Hop variant covers).

And not everything has to be a goddamn fancy ass film score (which actually annoys me so much about so many games in this day in age now that I think about it; trying so hard to be like a movie to the point of irritation; that's why Castlevania music will always sound better than most modern game soundtracks)! This was done cause it was fun and Black Panther's style, NO Marvel's style, works with Hip Hop.

Marvel is a bunch of pandering morons who if tomorrow, it were popular to have a character punch a woman, you can be there would be a lot of female characters getting struck in the face.

As for music, I do not see most hip-hop as an art form. It's played out garbage that doesn't take the skill or tenacity that a major musical score does.

I could agree if this were older hip-hop and rap that took legitimate talent but most of it is pumped out by major record labels and not for the sake of music

In the end, music is subjective and I think what this sounds like is records being scraped together in a scrapyard as a compactor is being used to crush mid-90s sports vehicles.

As far as calling Marvel a bunch of panderers, let's just say I'm not gonna agree or disagree with that statement.

As far as your comments on Hip-Hop is concerned, HA! The sheer fact that you don't even consider it an art form shows that it would be a waste of time for me to try to convince you otherwise. I'll respect your opinion about disliking Hip-Hop, but that doesn't mean I gotta buy your reasoning.

Cool. I don't care.

Not everyone has to agree on everything and not everyone has to like the music you like or view it as an art form.

You might think all photography is art but I think that it depends upon skill and not just any 16 year old girl who sets a digital camera to black and white is an artist. That is what modern hip hop is to me, the artistic equivalent of a 16 year old girl with a digital camera set to black and white. The easy road.

Oh God, I said I was not going debate with you on the merits of Hip-Hop, and I'm still not going to. But I have ask do have any inkling as to why I feel that your previous comment sounds absolutely absurd, especially considering what you said earlier? You don't need to explain anything, just a yes or no answer.

Avatar image for bl00dwerk
#37 Posted by Bl00dwerK (958 posts) - - Show Bio

@doc-holiday said:
@shinobi62676 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@shinobi62676 said:

@sbr999: @ostyo: @doc-holiday: @bl00dwerk:

I don't even know where to start with y'all.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fan of Hip-Hop music. He wanted to promote his series using a video that, let's be honest, has a hell of a better chance of getting the casuals interested cause the fact remains that Hip-Hop is a very attractive form of music for the general population and potential comic buyers in this day and age.

And WTH is "crappy techno-rap" supposed to mean?! This is Run the Jewels! You associating Run the Jewels with "crap" shows your own damn ignorance about the medium considering what else is out there. And your Black=Rap argument really falls apart when you find out how in the duo Run the Jewels, of the guys is white.

At the end of the day, Hip-Hop has long since evolved to a level that calling it "reductive" is an insult and saying it's an art form "beneath" an African King is bullshit to a high degree considering it's global appeal (hell even Marvel has embraced it as a whole with all of their Hip-Hop variant covers).

And not everything has to be a goddamn fancy ass film score (which actually annoys me so much about so many games in this day in age now that I think about it; trying so hard to be like a movie to the point of irritation; that's why Castlevania music will always sound better than most modern game soundtracks)! This was done cause it was fun and Black Panther's style, NO Marvel's style, works with Hip Hop.

Marvel is a bunch of pandering morons who if tomorrow, it were popular to have a character punch a woman, you can be there would be a lot of female characters getting struck in the face.

As for music, I do not see most hip-hop as an art form. It's played out garbage that doesn't take the skill or tenacity that a major musical score does.

I could agree if this were older hip-hop and rap that took legitimate talent but most of it is pumped out by major record labels and not for the sake of music

In the end, music is subjective and I think what this sounds like is records being scraped together in a scrapyard as a compactor is being used to crush mid-90s sports vehicles.

As far as calling Marvel a bunch of panderers, let's just say I'm not gonna agree or disagree with that statement.

As far as your comments on Hip-Hop is concerned, HA! The sheer fact that you don't even consider it an art form shows that it would be a waste of time for me to try to convince you otherwise. I'll respect your opinion about disliking Hip-Hop, but that doesn't mean I gotta buy your reasoning.

Cool. I don't care.

Not everyone has to agree on everything and not everyone has to like the music you like or view it as an art form.

You might think all photography is art but I think that it depends upon skill and not just any 16 year old girl who sets a digital camera to black and white is an artist. That is what modern hip hop is to me, the artistic equivalent of a 16 year old girl with a digital camera set to black and white. The easy road.

I said I was not going debate with you on the merits of Hip-Hop, and I'm still not going to.

If you didn't want to debate you shouldn't have tagged anyone in the first place...

Avatar image for shinobi62676
#38 Posted by shinobi62676 (147 posts) - - Show Bio
@shinobi62676 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@shinobi62676 said:
@doc-holiday said:
@shinobi62676 said:

@sbr999: @ostyo: @doc-holiday: @bl00dwerk:

I don't even know where to start with y'all.

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a fan of Hip-Hop music. He wanted to promote his series using a video that, let's be honest, has a hell of a better chance of getting the casuals interested cause the fact remains that Hip-Hop is a very attractive form of music for the general population and potential comic buyers in this day and age.

And WTH is "crappy techno-rap" supposed to mean?! This is Run the Jewels! You associating Run the Jewels with "crap" shows your own damn ignorance about the medium considering what else is out there. And your Black=Rap argument really falls apart when you find out how in the duo Run the Jewels, of the guys is white.

At the end of the day, Hip-Hop has long since evolved to a level that calling it "reductive" is an insult and saying it's an art form "beneath" an African King is bullshit to a high degree considering it's global appeal (hell even Marvel has embraced it as a whole with all of their Hip-Hop variant covers).

And not everything has to be a goddamn fancy ass film score (which actually annoys me so much about so many games in this day in age now that I think about it; trying so hard to be like a movie to the point of irritation; that's why Castlevania music will always sound better than most modern game soundtracks)! This was done cause it was fun and Black Panther's style, NO Marvel's style, works with Hip Hop.

Marvel is a bunch of pandering morons who if tomorrow, it were popular to have a character punch a woman, you can be there would be a lot of female characters getting struck in the face.

As for music, I do not see most hip-hop as an art form. It's played out garbage that doesn't take the skill or tenacity that a major musical score does.

I could agree if this were older hip-hop and rap that took legitimate talent but most of it is pumped out by major record labels and not for the sake of music

In the end, music is subjective and I think what this sounds like is records being scraped together in a scrapyard as a compactor is being used to crush mid-90s sports vehicles.

As far as calling Marvel a bunch of panderers, let's just say I'm not gonna agree or disagree with that statement.

As far as your comments on Hip-Hop is concerned, HA! The sheer fact that you don't even consider it an art form shows that it would be a waste of time for me to try to convince you otherwise. I'll respect your opinion about disliking Hip-Hop, but that doesn't mean I gotta buy your reasoning.

Cool. I don't care.

Not everyone has to agree on everything and not everyone has to like the music you like or view it as an art form.

You might think all photography is art but I think that it depends upon skill and not just any 16 year old girl who sets a digital camera to black and white is an artist. That is what modern hip hop is to me, the artistic equivalent of a 16 year old girl with a digital camera set to black and white. The easy road.

I said I was not going debate with you on the merits of Hip-Hop, and I'm still not going to.

If you didn't want to debate you shouldn't have tagged anyone in the first place...

Whoops, my bad, I shouldn't have kept quoting and instead just replied to Doc-Holiday after he first responded to me. I probably just piled up all y'all notifications. Didn't mean to involve you and the other two users in the latter parts. I apologize.

Avatar image for doc-holiday
#39 Posted by Doc-Holiday (3850 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for shinobi62676
#40 Posted by shinobi62676 (147 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for onewithreason
#41 Edited by OneWithReason (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm.. I see people's plights. I get what most of you mean and I see where you guys are coming from. Rap = Black? Speaking as a Black man, this is true and false at the same time. Yes Hip-Hop Springs from the Black community and culture, but it doesnt make it exclusively black. Many things of Black creation and culture have influenced the Entire world (same goes for other music & cultures). Now in days you have White rappers, Chinese, Hispanic, etc. So that statement has become less and less true over time. R&B, Raggae, Blues, You know where that comes from?? Black People from all over the world and it has made an impact on music still to this day. Hip-Hop to some or most may be seen in both black and white communities exclusively a Black thing, but again it doesn't make it true. It may not be seen as an art but let's think about it for a moment.. Art influences, and Inspires. True Art does so with more than just one group or facet; it branches out and resonates with all people of different orgin or background and lives on through generations. Let's look at what Things have done that.. Greek/Roman art and Literature that we still study today, Chinese culture and art, etc etc. Even religion does that. Love it or hate it, Black culture, and Hip-hop, has done EXACTLY that. It in itself has made a powerful impact on black Lives and apparently the World. Tchalla, although his culture is African, his race is Black.. want black people and those moved by hip-hop to be further inspired by the character? Why not associate a Black King (position of power) with something as powerful as hip-hop?

Does He need to be associated with it? OF COURSE NOT.

Is it Necessary? No, not at all.

But what was done I personally don't think was racist. We all just see it differently.

I would say this.. some of you are right. Just because he's black, doesnt mean Hip-hop should instantly be the "go to" which is why I said it wasn't necessary, so I can see how it comes off racist. But people need to stop being so short sighted, stop being so quick to pull the race card or bring race into the situation, and stop being so goddarn sensitive and STUDY the bigger picture.Continue doing that and society would definitely never move forward.

Also I think, associating BP with Hip-hop is just respect to how great or revolutionary or inspiring his character was at the time of his creation and even today. Why? Hip hop, like I sorta stated earlier, gave black people in America so much pride and Strength during times when we didn't have much, or FELT all the cards was against us. A Hero like Black Panther has given or can give black people all over who are or have been going through the same thing that same pride, strength, and inspiration needed to keep pushing. Again is it necessary? No. But does it help? I think so. Do I feel further inspired by it? You damn right 😉

But that's just me. Who am I? I'm just a person, just like all of you. What may inspire me may irritate you.. Hey *shrugs* What can you do?

Avatar image for onewithreason
#42 Edited by OneWithReason (775 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Black Panther is not just a character for Black people, I know he's not a character only for those who appreciate black culture. But do realize he was created for Black people to have something to relate to when reading comics. Realize He was created so that not one race was being the main focus of distribution. Marvel realized and wanted to branch out to different communities and give them a Hero that inspired them. Black panther and many others black heroes have done exactly that.. so I'm sorry to my fellow BP fans whom are not black, but that is the reality.

I also know Just because the character was made for us, it DOES NOT mean the character BELONGS to us. We dont own him, no, thats not fair to everyone else. But do realize Minorites come from a world where the majority is white, where it is or was seen for a long time that Lighter Skin or White skin, was more precious than Black. So when we have something powerful for us it is customany, and should not be suprising that we clinged to it.

What if your culture or part of your history was known for something negative,and demeaning? The moment you see something that makes you feel good, and powerful, would you not cling to it Also? Would it be easy for you to share?? Sounds kind of Childish I know, but in a sense, we are still children. Only thing that separates us from a child is that we all grow to take care of our needs on our own. In Life, Happiness is a need, just imagine Life without happiness. We all fight for that necessity..so if you come from a culture known to struggle, known to be slaves, known to be beaten and beneath another race, wouldn't that make you SAD? Wouldn't you want something that gave you the opposite, that gave you a necessity of Life? Once you have it.. is it really Childish when you say you don't want to share? May not be Childish, but now it's wrong not to share that happiness with those that don't have it. But what if to you, in your mind, that person has always had you're happiness? What if they never shared? You Get where I'm going?? We are all born into a crowded Unfair cycle, and everyone is rushing trying find their happiness, and we will step on each others toes.

In this case you have 2 Things that makes A People Proud.. Black panther & Hip-hop. There's no wonder why someone would want to bring them together to make them even more happy. Yet that reach for happiness may upset you because it doesn't make you happy. Surely, you NO DOUBT have the right to complain (that actually may also make you happy lol). But Just try to be understanding, try to be reasonable, try to look at it in that person's point of view. That's not easy but make the effort. If you Still don't understand, then just back off, and agree to disagree lol. 😁

Let me stop ranting lol smh.

Avatar image for onewithreason
#43 Edited by OneWithReason (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Simply said though.. so you don't have to read my Whole pile of nonsense:

You got 2 things. Black Panther & Hip-hop..Both Inspire, Empower, and makes people happy. Usually when people have 2 Things that make you happy, you want to combine them. Nothing Racist about it in my opinion. Its like food: You like Syrup, You like Pancakes.. put it together. Chicken and Hot sauce? Put it together.

Some may not like it, some will. Those that dont like it..state your peace, then go have a Coke and a Smile 😊😁.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.