Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3340 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Hudlin vs Priest vs Kirby

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hadrelius
    Who's Black Panther is the best?

Hudlin
    Hudlin
    Priest
    Priest
    Kirby
    Kirby
    Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kirby is great but Priest did the best persona of the Black Panther.

Powerful and Noble.

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sling Shot

Priest brought depth and definition to BP that will be echoed by others for yeads to come. Texeria's design is my favorite. Some pics from Guissepe Camuncoli where BP has golsd Bracers and talons is up there too.

Kirby and Lee's BP was done with enough respect and potential for Priest to come to the conclusion's he did in the characterization of BP so they are key to any BP let alone a good one.

Hudlin's has some cool things but......Priest is the one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Kirby and Lee.

T.J. Magnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By T.J. Magnum

Priest

Villelater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Villelater
    TheDrifter said:
    "Kirby and Lee."
    Jack Kirby and Stan Lee?
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Static Shock
    TheDrifter said:
    "Kirby and Lee."
    You should read Volume 3 and repost.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#8  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator
    Sling Shot said:
    "Priest brought depth and definition to BP that will be echoed by others for yeads to come. Texeria's design is my favorite. Some pics from Guissepe Camuncoli where BP has golsd Bracers and talons is up there too.

Kirby and Lee's BP was done with enough respect and potential for Priest to come to the conclusion's he did in the characterization of BP so they are key to any BP let alone a good one.

Priest is the one."
    QFT
    Black Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Black Lion

I think Don McGregor should be added to that list. He was the first person to write a long term solo Black Panther series. I enjoyed reading Jungle Action, even if it got a little heavy handed with it's descriptions at times. It read like a novel instead of a comic, but it was really poetic.

I've only read a few issues of Kirby's run, and I'll eventually finish it in the next week or so. I really don't want to pass judgment on it yet, but it seems really corny. lol The art of course is good looking.

What more can be said about Priest's series? Brilliant storytelling, great dialogue and characterization. Comedy that didn't come across as forced, and intelligent story arcs. He made T'Challa a badass without sacrificing others to do it. Plus T'Challa was seen as a master strategist like a king of an advanced nation should be. Plus we get great villains like Achebe, Killmonger, Klaw, Man-Ape, and Black Dragon. It got a little weird at the end, but the series is great despite that.

Hudlin..........what hasn't been said about his run? I'm not a "hudlin basher." I just call things the way I see them, and Hudlin's run was terrible. Everything that was great about Priest's run was totally opposite in Hudlin's run. Instead of intelligent dialogue we get 12 year old banter. Instead of beautifully crafted stories we get horribly executed ideas. What makes it worse is Hudlin's "f*ck you" style approach to everything. If you don't like his series then you're a stupid, ignorant, bitter, racist Priest fanboy that doesn't get it. So a black kid who's favorite character is a powerful African king now all of a sudden has a problem with a black man having power? I've tried my best to give the man chance after chance, but his writing is pure garbage. His ideas are overrated too. So a man is going to send hundreds of ninjas(with pistols!) to kidnap a guy he wants to marry his daughter? How the hell is that a good idea? I'm not trying to bash, but Hudlin has done a sh*tload of harm to BP.

Priest easily is the best if you ask me. No other writer has done more for the Black Panther than he. He didn't have  much to work from, but he still created something special. I only wish that Marvel decided to push his series better, because most people who knew about it enjoyed it.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Zoom

Hudlin.

*ducks*

Black Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Black Lion
    Zoom said:
    "

Hudlin.

*ducks*

"
    Hey man it's your opinion. While I'll disagree with you, I won't throw any shoes at you George Bush style.............I'll just throw grenades! lol
    avengpymhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By avengpymhawk

Don McGregor brought the Panther to life, while Priest modernized him. So it is a tiie with me. Both writers made great stories for the character.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Zoom
    Black Lion said:
    "Zoom said:
    "

Hudlin.

*ducks*

"
    Hey man it's your opinion."
    Its really not. ;-)

I hate Hudlin.
    SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By SuperXAsh

I like anything that doesn't have Hudlin's name attached to it. He's made Black Panther into an almost intentional parody of everything that's come before it and pretty much a god-mode sue.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By SuperXAsh

I like anything that doesn't have Hudlin's name attached to it. He's made Black Panther into an almost intentional parody of everything that's come before it and pretty much a god-mode sue.

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mykhael

Priest. Withour a doubt and yes, I know this is old.

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Umbraa

I liked, Priest the best. But I think Hudlin is sold short. Without him, T'challa could have been Black Goliath. Just saying.

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mykhael

I have all Hudlins stuff and do not hate him by any stretch, I support what he was trying to do, BUT his flaws and lack of quality stories, inconsistency and rectons kind of piss me off a bit.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I think there is a general concensus for Priest's run.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By windcaster

I think it's important to say that while a good many people did not like  Hudlin's run( including myself) he did have the highest selling run ever. Reach out more to an African American audience seemed to work. I think that  his best  characterization was  Deadliest of the Species. On a side not I know no one liked that T'challa was depowered but Maberry does not get the respect he deserves.    

Mykhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mykhael

@windcaster: The problem wasn't that he reached out to black people it was that he alienated white people in the process. Getting mass appeal doesn't mean one or the other, I wish Hudlin realized that before he did.

Genki_Sudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Genki_Sudo

While they were all good( op's of course will range from great to terrible ) I pick Priest as that was the first version of the character I read and fell in love with in comic form before moving onto Hudlin then back tracking.

I also believe Liss should be added as I really love his run as well as he took a bad idea and made the damn thing work

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By windcaster
    @Mykhael: How exactly did he  alienate  white people? I think I get what your saying but I want o get your full opinion. 

@Genki_Sudo: Yea Liss did do a great job. What I liked about his run was that not only was it reminiscent of Priest he did something Priest didn't do he showed his readers how T'challa thinks. 
    blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By blkson

Old thread but yeah...

1. Christopher Priest: The best interpretation of T'Challa's personality. Priest's Panther was not the arrogant king that most people currently know T'Challa to be. This mainly due to Hudlin's & Jason Aaron's writing. However, Texira's character design for T'Challa was GOD awful!! Priest's Panther was extremely complex & a strategist and I now know why his run is known as the "definitive" Black Panther.
    2. Kirby: Laid the blueprint for McGregor & Priest. Kirby's Panther is no doubt the most fun and enjoyable read. Maybe its the nostalgia effect but out all the writer of Black Panther, non them were fun reads. However, didn't expand upon the T'Challa outside of being a street-level hero enough.
    3. Don McGregor: One of the best story arcs of the Black Panther mythos came from Jungle Action and it was amazing.
    4. Hudlin: The gift of Shuri, which was probably the BEST thing from his run. Hudlin wrote Panther as if the reader was a 3rd grader. His Panther was also kinda arrogant.

No other writer has done right by the Black Panther than the top 3 guys; and no one has definedthe Black Panther mythos like all 4 of these guys.

Although, the way Johnathan Hickman is currently writing T'Challa over in New Avenger: Illuminati (2013), he might replace Hudlin on my list.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By blkson

@windcaster said:

I think it's important to say that while a good many people did not like Hudlin's run( including myself) he did have the highest selling run ever. Reach out more to an African American audience seemed to work. I think that his best characterization was Deadliest of the Species. On a side not I know no one liked that T'challa was depowered but Maberry does not get the respect he deserves.

I think this is largely due to the era it was written in. Art was higher quality and the digital age allowed more folk to spread the word.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Priest. Hudlin's kinda sucked. Liking how Hickman's using him in New Avengers and earlier in FF, though.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are things I liked Priest did and things I didn't same as Hudlin. I think Priest was a lot better writer but I liked Hudlin's vision (if not his talent). I wish McDuffie had written him longer I appreciate his BP in FF more and more. I'm enjoying Hickman's version better than any to be honest.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Priest > Mcgregor > Liss > Kirby > Maberry > piss > Hudlin.

Hudlin almost ruined Black Panther for me, I stopped reading BP books till Liss did the Hell's kitchen book then I went back and read Maberry's run. Hickman writes my second favorite Black Panther after Priest though, he might even move up to #1 if he keeps writing him like this.

lukecharles777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hudlin made BP a king that fan boys love to hate. He sold well Priest is always put on a pedestal and I think he wrote well although he did have a strange style. Priest did not sell and got all kinds of flack from fan boys during his run. Under Priests run BP beat mind controlled Iron Fist nearly killed Iron Man, knocked down Namor with a punch and talked of having a contingency plan for Galactus. Many also hated the angle that Tchalla joined the Avengers was to spy on them. He even established a relationship with Storm . Any one of these things would have driven fanboys crazy if Hudlin had done them. The big difference is that they always had Everett K Ross speak for the BP which Priest did to appease fanboys.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GrenadeFlow

Hudlin made BP a king that fan boys love to hate. He sold well Priest is always put on a pedestal and I think he wrote well although he did have a strange style. Priest did not sell and got all kinds of flack from fan boys during his run. Under Priests run BP beat mind controlled Iron Fist nearly killed Iron Man, knocked down Namor with a punch and talked of having a contingency plan for Galactus. Many also hated the angle that Tchalla joined the Avengers was to spy on them. He even established a relationship with Storm . Any one of these things would have driven fanboys crazy if Hudlin had done them. The big difference is that they always had Everett K Ross speak for the BP which Priest did to appease fanboys.

Hudlin also brought in the racial rubbish. He ruined or ignored all the good stuff Priest did in his run before Hudlin and frankly he sucked at writing BP.

Son_Of_Tchalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Priest for sure.

grahammcgrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don McGregor and Billy Graham, Panther's Rage. Greatest Black Panther of all time in my opinion.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hudlin's BP isn't my favorite, Kirby's BP is a classic, but Priest will always be number one for me. The current writer isn't doing anything for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.