BLACK PANTHER Series by Ta-Nehisi Coates and Brian Stelfreeze Announced

• 102 results
Posted by inferiorego (25737 posts) - - Show Bio
Cover by Brian Stelfreeze
Cover by Brian Stelfreeze

Black Panther will return next spring to the Marvel Universe. Today, it was revealed by the New York Times that national corespondent for The Atlantic and author, Ta-Nehisi Coates, will be writing this upcoming series. He will be joined by artist Brian Stelfreeze on the book.

Coates is a Marvel fan, which is apparent to his followers on Twitter. Coates credits a lot of who he is today to comics: “[it's] an intimate part of my childhood and, at this point, part of my adulthood. It was mostly through pop culture, through hip-hop, through Dungeons & Dragons and comic books that I acquired much of my vocabulary.”

2016 is already shaping to be a big year for the character as he will appear in May's Captain America: Civil War, played by Chadwick Boseman. This will eventually lead to a Black Panther solo film in 2018.

As of right now, there's no exact release date for the new series or any story details available, aside from its release in spring of 2016.

In addition, the hip-hop variant cover, also by Brian Stelfreeze, was also revealed. We'll keep you updated as more develops.

No Caption Provided

Staff
#1 Posted by kivatt (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally. Dreams do some true

#2 Posted by omarthmainman (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
#3 Edited by deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3 (12864 posts) - - Show Bio

yass betch

#4 Posted by mrkareemruiz (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Black panther is the best. Can't wait for new great feats.

#5 Posted by dondave (41760 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by HushoftheWind (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

The battle forums favorite son finally gets another shot at having a series. Hope you guys are prepared for his feat list to expand to God hood.

#7 Posted by Farkam (12057 posts) - - Show Bio

He won't be turned into a different race or gender because marvel is Anti-white male. :P

#8 Posted by sourcebreaker (80 posts) - - Show Bio

sick

#9 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

this is awesome !

#10 Edited by the_stegman (40319 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, he's gonna be a white guy.

#11 Posted by inferiorego (25737 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, he's gonna be a white guy.

That already happened in the What If issue!

Staff
#12 Edited by doombot890 (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Hail to the King!!!

#13 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther and Dr. Strange are the Marvel books I'm gonna pick up. Finally I can read some Marvel. All DC has to do is get that Shazam solo to happen then I could be happy.

#14 Posted by xblah_blahx (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

Pass. I give it 12 issues before its cancelled.

#15 Edited by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Yeah.

Loading Video...
#16 Posted by FearTheLiving (8837 posts) - - Show Bio

Next spring, Black Panther is coming back to Marvel.

He never left.

#17 Posted by RedHood1047 (271 posts) - - Show Bio

Praise the lord!!! Just waiting for Scarlet Spider (Kaine), Moon Knight, and Black widow!!! And my wish list will be complete

#18 Posted by Figgs216 (131 posts) - - Show Bio

For anyone that doesn't know the hip hop variant is based on Jay-Z

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
#19 Posted by Romthelegionaire (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome news. Definite buy.

#20 Posted by HempKnight757 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfabz-23: Yep. Totally agree. I don't understand what the hold up has been on Shazam series. What other books do you currently read?

#21 Posted by Ruvik_ (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

Pass

#22 Posted by kfabz-23 (6135 posts) - - Show Bio

@hempknight757: Aquaman, Batman, Cyborg, Justice League, Martian Manhunter, Superman/Wonder Woman & Wonder Woman

#23 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesssssssssss! I just need that Black Widow announcement and I'll be good.

#24 Edited by ScrappyDont27 (531 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad black panther is getting another run at a solo title, I am also really liking the hip hop variants

#25 Posted by roaris87 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

Another series to pick up. That's a good thing!

#26 Posted by webbcity (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yes!! I'm so excited about this I can't stand it.

#27 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther Variant Hip-hop variant is Dope !

#28 Posted by Farkam (12057 posts) - - Show Bio

i've never heard of the guy they hired to write for it

#29 Posted by BlueJay2324 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

I was really hoping this would be the book that Mark Waid, Chris Samnee and Matt Wilson were going to be reuniting for, which would have been a great. I am hopefully for this book though, considering Coates' has probably got the best wealth of knowledge if Marvel wants this to be more of a political book that really shows the connection of Africa with the rest of the world. Something I really enjoyed was seeing Paul Jenkins for the Inhumans on the unsuspecting human world in his Inhumans book, so maybe this will share some slight thematic qualities. Conversely, if I recall the DC Batwing, that I bring up for soul purpose of connecting the African heritage, did really bad sales wise during the launch of the New 52, so here's to hoping this long standing character finds greater success.

#30 Posted by GraniteSoldier (12746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44

Also, I think I might get this since I thinned out my pull list and am going to be trade waiting most big titles like Spider-Man and Green Lantern.

Panther needs love, hopefully it'll be good. I wasn't overly impressed with the new Iron Fist series.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
#31 Edited by EarthsMightiest (2765 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to hear this for the Panther fans.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
#32 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (8155 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! Been waiting for this forever.

#33 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooh, Brain Stelfreeze! I like the sound of that. Funny this announcement comes the day my Christopher Priest collection comes in the mail.

#34 Posted by mrkareemruiz (477 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_guyver: Racist people are funny. All Black panther's main books got passed 12 issues.

#35 Posted by Farkam (12057 posts) - - Show Bio

@dark_guyver: Racist people are funny. All Black panther's main books got passed 12 issues.

Cynical =/= racist :P

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
#36 Edited by StMichalofWilson (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#37 Posted by Kokemabb200 (3400 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!!!!

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
#38 Posted by FuzzyLittleRodent (2087 posts) - - Show Bio

Rest in pepperoni battle forums

#39 Posted by mysoulz (871 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's about time.

#40 Posted by rob1157 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

New number one on my Marvel pull list.

#41 Posted by xblah_blahx (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrkareemruiz: Calm down crybaby. You must be one of those race baiters.

#42 Posted by Stellar421 (875 posts) - - Show Bio

Just in time for the movie.

#43 Edited by donmeca2020 (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: why not keep it to what i said awhile back ??? He should now be changed to look like a heavy set jonah hill... see how much uproar that'll cause.

On the real though, i think i'll give it shot. He is a awesome character. I just won a 4 star black panther in contest of champions too !!

Im also glad they're using their already established other ethnic heroes as opposed of turning they're already prominent white heroes all the colors and sexes of the rainbow....

#44 Posted by superhoodie (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I look forward to this new title. Despite wanting the Hickman writing the title of the Black Panther. However I'm already glad he again had a title. I just hope que this writer doesn't make the character try to strangle beings as the Silver Surfer.

#45 Posted by jashro44 (53880 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44

Also, I think I might get this since I thinned out my pull list and am going to be trade waiting most big titles like Spider-Man and Green Lantern.

Panther needs love, hopefully it'll be good. I wasn't overly impressed with the new Iron Fist series.

Thank you for tagging me! I need to look into this guy and see what else he has written but has he ever written a comic series before? I also hope they gave it to someone who has read black panther comics before.....Hopefully this will be good.

I look forward to this new title. Despite wanting the Hickman writing the title of the Black Panther. However I'm already glad he again had a title. I just hope que this writer doesn't make the character try to strangle beings as the Silver Surfer.

Dwayne Mcduffie stated that silver surfer allowed black panther to restrain him. T'challa never truly had surfer restrained and surfer could have broke out if he wanted to he just didn't because he wanted to know what T'challa was planning.

#46 Edited by marcohtx (91 posts) - - Show Bio

That T'Challa Jay-Z Black Album cover gave me goosebumps. I was already gonna be buying this series, but for Coates to be the one they hired for this has me even more excited than I was before. Good lord the spring couldn't get here any sooner.

#47 Posted by Heatblaze (10400 posts) - - Show Bio

FINALLY! Can't wait!

#48 Edited by jaybefre (154 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by Gotham331 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I would really love a story that puts Wakanda against Latveria. That would be epic.

#50 Edited by GrenadeFlow (2140 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes the king is back!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.