Black Panther's Cinematic Fighting Style

#1 Edited by Captain13 (4773 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

T'Challa's solo film isn't due to come out until 2017, but it's fun to speculate about what Marvel has in store for the character. A defining aspect of every superhero is his or her fighting style because every movement a character makes can be filled with history and meaning. That said, let's discuss what T'Challa's fighting style could look like on the big screen.

--

To add a primal feel to Black Panther's style and to pay tribute to Black history, I think it would be cool if Black Panther's kicks drew liberally from Capoeira -

T'Challa is known for his stealth skills, his speed, and his use of knives, so adding Pencak Silat moves to his repertoire probably wouldn't be a bad idea -

Finally, a Panther needs his claws, so some Tiger-style Kung Fu feels poetic -

--

A mix of these styles could definitely help Black Panther to stand out from the rest of the superhero crowd.

Thoughts?

--

Special thanks to @cloakx14 for the thread idea.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (17765 posts) - - Show Bio

He should just slap fight.

#3 Posted by daingermouz20 (312 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll say a fighting style like Jason Bourne

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
#4 Posted by Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds (3392 posts) - - Show Bio

Have they ever shown distinct fighting styles in the movies?
Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if they had this to make him vary from the others, but... Does Cap, or Widow, or anyone like that have a recognizable martial art form?

#5 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

his fighting style should be more like michael Jai white in Blood & Bone or Jijustu.

#6 Posted by Renny (3359 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they use a lot of CGI for his fighting style. There should be a lot of flips and jumping around.

#7 Posted by Usha (3698 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like you were right about one of them:

Chadwick says, "There are some animal forms, but not just cat. He could be a snake, or various different styles. Obviously there's an opportunity to do some capoeira." When asked who will win a fight between Black Panther and Captain America, Chadwick replies, "If you're talking to Mayweather about the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, then Mayweather's gonna say he's gonna win. I have to back myself."

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00091780.html

#8 Edited by Captain13 (4773 posts) - - Show Bio

@usha said:

Looks like you were right about one of them:

Chadwick says, "There are some animal forms, but not just cat. He could be a snake, or various different styles. Obviously there's an opportunity to do some capoeira." When asked who will win a fight between Black Panther and Captain America, Chadwick replies, "If you're talking to Mayweather about the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, then Mayweather's gonna say he's gonna win. I have to back myself."

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00091780.html

That's awesome!

@joey_destroyer_of_worlds said:

Have they ever shown distinct fighting styles in the movies?

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if they had this to make him vary from the others, but... Does Cap, or Widow, or anyone like that have a recognizable martial art form?

They deliberately gave Black Widow a "Lucha Libre" style in Iron Man 2. They also used some Wushu, apparently.

“The biggest one was lucha libre, a Mexican wrestling style of fighting that seemed silly when they first mentioned it to me,” Favreau said in the notes referring to the fighting many Americans recognize from Jack Black’s “Nacho Libre.” “I thought it was a little comical with all of the swinging around, flips, holds and acrobatic moves, but when you see a woman doing it in the Black Widow costume, and it’s not a pot-bellied wrestler with a mask, it has a much different effect.” - Jon Favreau

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

But that seems to have been toned down after a while.

The Winter Soldier seems to know some Kali knife fighting moves. I wouldn't be surprised given that he bears some familiarity with Jason Bourne, who used Kali in the films.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.