Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3341 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Black Panther: Operation Restoration!

flexhectic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flexhectic

Now that this Hell's Kitchen experiment is on the cancellation block it is way past time to return The King's Favorite King to his throne and give him back his Black Panther title along with his queen and all the heart shapes herb powers that come with it.

The days of deconstruction should be put behind him and move forward to bigger and better things.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By windcaster

I had my reservations when I found out that he was leaving the Wakanda to replace DD. But I think liss did a good job with his run. I heard that T'challa won't be going back any time soon though maybe due to cancellation maybe not. 

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i thought man without fear was a great story arc for black panther.

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@flexhectic said:

Now that this Hell's Kitchen experiment is on the cancellation block it is way past time to return The King's Favorite King to his throne and give him back his Black Panther title along with his queen and all the heart shapes herb powers that come with it.

The days of deconstruction should be put behind him and move forward to bigger and better things.

The problem, for me, was that the "Hell's Kitchen experiment" was the biggest and best thing I'd seen Marvel do with the Black Panther in years. The Hudlin/Maberry stuff was not to my taste. Say what you will about power levels, appropriate settings, and deconstruction, but at least Liss' run was actually good. At this point, I just want Black Panther in good stories. The other stuff will come. For that, I can be patient.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By windcaster
    @Hatutzeraze: What's wrong with Maberry run? I thought he did pretty good with Power and Doomwar.
    Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hatutzeraze

@windcaster:

I wanted to like his stuff, being excited to see someone take over from Hudlin, but by the time Maberry came on, Shuri was in place. Instead of getting T'Challa back in the starring role, Maberry went with the Shuri storyline. I'm not saying there weren't some quality moments here and there, but without T'Challa as the star, even those felt kind of hollow.

I wasn't as big a fan of Doomwar as you were. I tried to get into the story, but it just didn't work for me.

Liss' run, on the other hand, was a lot better. I'll admit the first story arc was a bit slow. After that, though, the series has been non-stop excellent every single issue.

flexhectic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By flexhectic

Do the math... 

Each and every time they attempt to water down the Black Panther they end up canceling or placing the character in limbo. 

This is a character that needs to "Fail Forward" and not backwards. 

The Avengers cartoon has him in the mix doing heroic epic things and this is successful. 

Priest set the blueprint for the Black Panther and Hudlin raised the revenue numbers beyond anyone else's expectations. 

The numbers don't lie...

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mega_spidey01
    @Hatutzeraze said:

@flexhectic said:

The problem, for me, was that the "Hell's Kitchen experiment" was the biggest and best thing I'd seen Marvel do with the Black Panther in years. The Hudlin/Maberry stuff was not to my taste. Say what you will about power levels, appropriate settings, and deconstruction, but at least Liss' run was actually good. At this point, I just want Black Panther in good stories. The other stuff will come. For that, I can be patient.

Blackreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Blackreverend

If I was writing his title I would end the Panther Cult in Wakanda and start the new series with the choice of a new one ( Lion, White Gorilla, Crocodile) Bast the panther Goddess showed up when Vibranium did and should leave with it now that there's no more! Have Shuri become the avatar of the chosen God so there's only one Black Panther.

This would force T'Challa and Storm to return home and when they would get there they would find the new Shuri with Chronok (her love interest) by her side. It would be explained that his futuristic technology is what has been keeping Wakanda's economy alive...

I would also reintroduce the Wakandan Secret Police to help facilitate her reign. After losing vibranium, Wakanda must be in chaos! Shuri is the kind of character that would sanction one.

When T'Challa and Storm find out about all this they are forced to reclaim the throne from Shuri, stop Chronok who proves to be the mastermind behind everything and restore Wakanda to its old ways (which includes isolation from the world and the Panther Cult).

During Doomwar, T'Challa was exploring what he called "Shadow Physics"... considering that he's a genius I would like to see him find some way to harness this new power so that Wakanda can capitalize on it and work its way back to greatness.

@flexhectic: @windcaster: @Mega_spidey01: @Hatutzeraze: What do you guys think? How's that for an "operation restoration"?

flexhectic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By flexhectic

The problem might be who is really the Black Panther? 

If you get rid of the Panther Cult then do you still call The Black Panther... The Black Panther? 

And Shuri seems to be too much of a problem for the Black Panther franchise as a whole. She generates very little revenue and is more in the way than an actual factor in the story. All she does is suck panel space from Storm so she needs to go. 

Blackreverend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Blackreverend

@flexhectic said:

If you get rid of the Panther Cult then do you still call The Black Panther... The Black Panther?

Well technically it would only be temporary since T'Challa restores it at the end.

@flexhectic said:

And Shuri seems to be too much of a problem for the Black Panther franchise as a whole. She generates very little revenue and is more in the way than an actual factor in the story. All she does is suck panel space from Storm so she needs to go.

That's why I would have her die sacrificing herself to save her love from Storm & the avengers. It would be the perfect kind of tragedy to turn Chronok against the avengers and into a similar version to the one most people are (not) familiar with lol

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AngeTheDude

The Liss run is the first time I've given a crap about Black Panther. It has been a really strong story and I'll be disappointed when they go back to Wakanda.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By windcaster

I think it would interesting if Shuri became the new White Wolf. Now that Hunter been arrested she could have her own adventures and God willing develop a back story as to why no one ever heard her until a few years ago.  

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By butterflykyss

@windcaster said:

@Hatutzeraze: What's wrong with Maberry run? I thought he did pretty good with Power and Doomwar.

doomwar was a disaster IMHO..

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

I liked the Hudlin run the best. I'm all for him trying to find a way to restore Wakanda to glory.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Paracelsus

I'm curious- in FF#119 T'Challa tells Ben and Johnny that he is calling himself the Black Leopard so as not to be confused with the militant group (now thankfully defunct) also known as The Black Panther. Why didn't T'Challa simply copyright the name "The Black Panther"( as I suggested that Tony Stark do for the Avengers- hey it works for the "Hells Angels" and "Coca Cola" in real life) and sue the group for infringing on his trademark?

Terry

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.