Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3336 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

Are BP comics setting up for a BP movie?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

It would seem that Marvel is pushing the wheels of a Black Panther film into motion based on the comics.

1) As stated in an interview, Wakanda would be a hard place to recreate in the film world. Now that Wakanda was destroyed by the Phoenix, could Marvel be setting up for a brand new Wakanda that can be translated better into film?

2) Black Panther and Storm split. Could this be so that he has a new love interest in the film world? And when the Black Panther hype comes from a possible movie, new readers won't be confused as to why he is dating Storm instead of whoever his movie love interest is?

3) Marvel has really given his character a boost to make him one of their best characters. This could also contribute to idea of a black panther film.

Agree?

Disagree?

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By windcaster

I do think that Marvel Now! will be a veritable test pilot for him and  of other characters, but I don't think he was referring to architecture when he was talking about the difficulty of making a Black Panther movie. 

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mega_spidey01

they might be setting bp up for a movie. i can't wait.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Blood1991

I have a hard time seeing a Black Panther movie without media and political backlash from the ignorant masses that don't read comics. His name alone could be a thirty minute news story on Fox.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@ blood1991 that could happen with political agendas.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Blood1991

@Mega_spidey01 said:

@ blood1991 that could happen with political agendas.

That and movie goers may simply call him a Batman ripoff. If he was introduced in the Avengers or another Marvel film like Widow and Hawkeye were I think it would make him do better, but incorporating him into a film that wasn't his own would also be tricky.

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By moneyspider1

All Marvel has to do is call the movie Marvel's Black Panther, just in case there are some ignorant people out there who think Black Panther refers to the Black Panther Party. Remember, Marvel called their Avengers movie "Marvel's The Avengers" to distinguish it from the 1960's Avengers TV show and the Avengers movie from like 1998 starring Uma Thurman and Sean Connery. Also, anyone in Hollywood who thinks translating Wakanda onto the big screen would be a problem has no clue whatsoever, and I would hope that person was not involved with the movie at all. It's limited thinking like that that waters down movies and makes them less than what they could have been. A highly technological African country would not be hard to bring to the big screen at all.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@moneyspider1 that could work. i agree with your statement.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrShway88

If they do make a BP movie then Micheal Jai White has to be BP

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@mr.shway88 he's too old and needs an african accent to play t'challa. my vote goes to aldis hodge from leverage.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By windcaster

Im still holding hope that the guy who played Heimdall will play T'challa.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By fodigg

They've been trying to do a BP movie for years and it has yet to materialize. I wonder if Marvel even owns the film rights.

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By moneyspider1

I just wish that Marvel would get all the right to all of its characters under its own movie production company (I forgot the name of it...Marvel Studios?) so that we can have more team-ups besides in the Avengers. I've never liked the fact that all of Marvel's characters are spread out under different studios.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PassionFlower

I could see a movie he has a lot of cinematic flair to him. Dashing, scientific, mystical, lush yet sci fi locations...

Baptimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baptimus

Doesn't Djimon Hounsou, the actor from Blood Diamond really want play the part of BP? I could see it.

moneyspider1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By moneyspider1

@Baptimus: Djimon Hounsou might be a bit too old to play the part of T'Challa...especially if Hollywood wants to do a trilogy. On the other hand, I'm not sure how old Robert Downey Jr. was when they cast him to play Tony Stark. But the longer Marvel hems and haws around on a Black Panther movie, the less likely Djimon Hounsou would be able to play the role. Personally I think Hollywood should cast a younger, unknown African actor, with a whole lot of African extras to portray the Wakandans. Perhaps Djimon could play one of T'Challa's Black Panther ancestors in a flashback scene.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#17  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Good Points OP but There are no BP comics out right now. Are there?

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SUNMAN

I don't believe will ever really see a Black Panther solo film. Disney has too many comic properties they are prioritizing ahed of a BP film and they just got Star Wars. BP movie seems incredibly unlikely

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.