Follow

Black Panther

Character » Black Panther appears in 3342 issues.

T'Challa is the Black Panther, king of Wakanda, one of the most technologically advanced nations on Earth. He is among the top intellects and martial artists of the world, a veteran Avenger, and a member of the Illuminati. Using his powers and abilities, he has pledged his fortune, powers, and life to the service of all mankind.

8 Things We Learned About Black Panther From Civil War [SPOILERS]

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Marvel superhero Black Panther finally made his on-screen debut over the weekend in Captain America: Civil War. The character had a whole lot of screen time, and it led to a ton of character development, building towards his 2018 solo film, which couldn't come soon enough. Now that Black Panther is in the cinematic universe, what do we know about him? Recently, we talked about the comic version versus what we assumed the film version would be like. Now that the film is out, we know a whole lot more about this character. Here's what we learned about Black Panther.

Warning: Spoilers for Captain America: Civil War will be discussed below.

No Caption Provided

Chadwick Boseman played the part of T'Challa, who eventually becomes Black Panther during the film. Obviously, this theatrical version of the character won't be exactly like his comic book counterpart, so during Civil War, there were a few surprises. In addition, there's still a lot of questions about this character, which probably won't get answered until the Black Panther film in 2018. However, here's what we learned about Black Panther in Civil War.

• T'Challa was only involved because Wakandans were killed on a goodwill mission in Lagos. The people of Wakanda are a nation separated from the rest of civilization. During the battle between Crossbones and the Avengers, 11 Wakandans were killed, so Wakanda decided to step out of the shadows and be a part of the modern world.
    • He isn't the king of Wakanda at the beginning of the film. He's at the signing of the Sokovia accord with his father, who is currently king. After the bombing, the king dies, and that's when T'Challa becomes king of Wakanda. His father's death sets his whole story in motion.
    • T'Challa, as Black Panther, has been trained. He is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, holding his own against both Winter Soldier and Captain America.
    No Caption Provided

• The Black Panther outfit has vibranium claws. It's unclear whether the whole suit is made of vibranium, one of the strongest metals in the Marvel Universe. One thing is for sure: Panther's claws are made out of vibranium, as it scratched Captain America's shield. Whatever the rest of the suit is made of, it's bulletproof, as T'Challa gets shot at a lot in the film.
    • While this film introduced Black Panther and the man behind the mask, one thing it didn't really hit on was giving fans a straight answer to whether or not he has super powers. Depending on which story you read in the comics, T'Challa does have some abilities thanks to a Heart-Shaped Herb he ate in a ceremony, which gave him superhuman agility, senses, and a few other powers. In Civil War, Black Panther can apparently run as fast as a car, but we're not sure how fast that car was going. We'll probably have to wait until his solo film to learn the true extent of his power.
    No Caption Provided

• Black Panther isn't on anyone's side. He's trying to seek revenge for his father's death, and he will team up with anyone that will help him achieve his goal. Unlike Spider-Man or Ant-Man, Black Panther isn't a pawn for Captain America or Iron Man to move around. We see that as Panther switches sides during the movie. Panther comes off as more of a leader than a follower.
    • It's also important to point out that even when facing an immense amount of emotional stress, Panther remained logical and level-headed. While Tony Stark was facing similar problems, he let his emotions get the best of him. Panther was grief-stricken over the death of his father, but he was willing to listen to reason and new information.
    • The film leaves Winter Soldier in quite the predicament. He felt like he couldn't be out in the world with the Hydra brainwashing still in his brain. Black Panther helps by putting Bucky into suspended animation until they can figure out how to get rid the damage Hydra caused. This all happens in Wakanda, so the question remains to whether this will cause an international incident in future films.

It was fantastic to see Black Panther on the big screen, and this is just the first of many adventures for the king of Wakanda. However, we're going to have to wait until 2018 to see the Black Panther solo film come to the big screen. We can also assume he'll be appearing in the two-part Avengers films, which has part one coming out in May 2018.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Black Panther seems like the most rational and awesome character in the Marvel Universe. I await the Black Panther movie with excitement.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was incredible on screen and very frightening opponent. I wonder if they will go the panther God emporment or the heart herb for powers

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Black Panther got me excited for his solo movie, and I knew nothing about him

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

"Panther comes off as more of a leader than a follower"

Agreed and that's a very compelling aspect of him. Also that point in the mid-credit scene when he said to Steve "Let them come" and showed Wakanda gave me chills.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

@lurkero said:

Black Panther seems like the most rational and awesome character in the Marvel Universe. I await the Black Panther movie with excitement.

Same.

I was a bit worried that with so many heroes, especially from previous movies and this being a Captain America film, that Spidey and Panther would be pushed to the back and given little screen time but they felt pretty natural to the story and I love Black Panthers suit, the special vibranium mesh allowing him reduced exposure to kinetic energy and thus running faster, punching harder and even stopping a bullet with his hand is very impressive. It is a perfect explanation for why he could easily take on Bucky and even handle Cap.

I also loved the scene with Hawkeye "We haven't met, I'm Clint" "I don't care"

JwalserV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved him, he actually had a place in the movie and didn't feel shoe horned in. Unlike some other character..

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly... Until now I respected Captain America for all his Righteousness and the Fact that he cares for Truth Honour Freedom.

After Civil War... Black Panther is another guy to watch out. He's Rational Trained doesn't let Emotions get the better of him like other Guys....fights for Justice as was evident when he was willing to go against Tony Stark for helping Bucky. He's like Captain America in many ways..only Richer and more Badass from certain Angles. I think Cap and Panther will form hell of a Partnership.

BP also proved that he's capable of leading the Avengers in the Future. He commands respect because he's already Royalty and he's a Badass fighter. Even Cap has a sense of Respect for him although they're pitted against each other initially. The way he helped Bucky shows that he can go to any lengths to fight for Justice and Truth...exactly how a leader should be.

Kudos Marvel for Bringing another Awesome Character to the Big Screen

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Thor-Parker

Amazing character

lordraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

agreed with everyone. couldn't get enough of him.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was very well portrayed and Boseman did a good job in bringing the needed charisma and gravitas.

I hope the good streak continues, it's been a while since we've had a new black super hero on the silver screen.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BP was my top 3 favorite parts of the movie. When he stopped that bullet with his hand, and caught both of Clint's arrows at once, two of my favorite moments.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's safe to assume that those cars were going at least 40mph. I haven't driven through a tunnel where the posted limit was less than 50, so Cap, Bucky, and Panther are fast.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Black Panther was one of my favorite things about the movie, the character was great in it!

and this

"Panther comes off as more of a leader than a follower"

Agreed and that's a very compelling aspect of him. Also that point in the mid-credit scene when he said to Steve "Let them come" and showed Wakanda gave me chills.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Panther was a BAMF.

xsbrx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xsbrx

Good character, who was actually tied to the plot, and wasn't in the movie just for fanservice or set to up his solo movie.

*Cough* Spider-man.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Marvel did a fantastic job of portraying the Black Panther character. He came across as an important part of the MCU.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah he was great

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked him very much, even more than Spiderman who was awesome as well.

badaboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it a second time yesterday and I still don't really understand what happens when he confronts Bucky and brushes up against the metal arm. Does his ring (which I'm assuming is vibranium) brush up against the arm and react in some way? Also, I'm not sure whether it's ever been stated or not, but is Bucky's arm made out of that same metal too?

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My boy got it in. Let's go team panther

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

civil war was a two hour trailer for black panther. not bashing the character,T'Challa is beyond amazing and was very faithful to the character . movie overall was meh.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So was his ring Anti-metal?

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Great introduction to the character. Also liked the scene with him and Hawkeye. Something about it remind me of EMH

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Fallschirmjager

The T is suppose to be silent.

And he needs a cape.

Great otherwise though!

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

We learned Black Panther is epic

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Black Panther can apparently run as fast as a car'

So could Bucky and he's just a human with a metal arm right? We see the other soldiers get a serum but I don't remember seeing Bucky ever getting it.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lurkero said:

agree! i loved the character

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Static Shock

@pelykan said:

So could Bucky and he's just a human with a metal arm right? We see the other soldiers get a serum but I don't remember seeing Bucky ever getting it.

It was implied that Bucky was injected with the serum, too. Cap stated in the Winter Soldier that Bucky was "Fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." I took that to mean that his physical abilities were enhanced along with acquiring the metal arm as well. His body was also kept in cryo-stasis for decades, and only being enhanced like Cap (who was also in a similar state, being frozen in that iceberg) could keep him alive during that process. It may have been the same serum that Red Skull took in the first Captain America movie, also.

In Civil War, the other Winter Soldiers had been injected with the same serum.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

He was so freaking great on the movie.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was sick, perfect introduction

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was awesome, but I wasn't really a fan of his fight scenes. Hopefully it's much better in his solo

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought he was excellent. I wonder if Bucky will appear in his solo movie?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pelykan said:

It was implied that Bucky was injected with the serum, too. Cap stated in the Winter Soldier that Bucky was "Fast. Strong. Had a metal arm." I took that to mean that his physical abilities were enhanced along with acquiring the metal arm as well. His body was also kept in cryo-stasis for decades, and only being enhanced like Cap (who was also in a similar state, being frozen in that iceberg) could keep him alive during that process. It may have been the same serum that Red Skull took in the first Captain America movie, also.

In Civil War, the other Winter Soldiers had been injected with the same serum.

There is a source that confirms Bucky has a serum similar to cap.

http://collider.com/captain-america-3-sebastian-stan-zack-snyder-comments/

Yeah, it’s awesome, and I kind of like that he doesn’t really have super powers. He’s got this metal arm and stuff, sort of the serum situation, but he’s sort of just a dude. It’s funny placing him next to the Scarlet Witch or something where she’s got all the stuff— [waves his hand, imitating Wanda doing magic] I’m going, “What is he going to do? He’s just going to sort of block a lot of stuff with his metal arm.” But I think it’s good, it’s relatable. He could die at any point.

I assume when he says doesn't really have super powers its in comparison to characters like Scarlet Witch.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

what's really amazing is that he actually made an effort not to kill anyone, unlike just about everyone else

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Such a great character in Civil War. I especially loved his unique fighting style. Very different from everyone else and really fun to watch.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.