Follow

Black Lightning

Character » Black Lightning appears in 995 issues.

Jefferson Michael Pierce aka Black Lightning, is a teacher and former Olympic Gold Medal-winning athlete. He fights crime using his electrokinetic powers.

How Did Black Lightning get his Powers ?

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Can someone tell me how Black lightning got his powers ? Was he born with them or did he get then though a experement ? I really like to know ? Thanks.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@kid_omega_prime: In the 1970s, he got his powers from a technologically advanced belt that he and his tailor invented. Eventually, prolonged exposure gave him organic powers.

Since Black Lightning: Year One, his powers have stemmed from a metagene that he's had since birth. But the effect of his powers on magical entities and its black color seem to indicate that it is at least partly-magical.

Writers haven't explored this recent development much, but it seems to be that his powers are magical in the new 52 as well. IMO, this is a story that needs to be told and has a lot of potential.

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13:

So that means Black Lightning is a mutant then... i mean mata-human ?

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Ugh...............I do NOT want him tied to magic

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Ugh...............I do NOT want him tied to magic

Well, understand that they're trying to find a way to make "Black Lightning" make sense, without it being because the character is black. The most obvious way to do that is make his lightning bolts black, but then you have to explain that. Since black lightning bolts obviously don't occur in nature, magic seems to be the best way to explain it. It's a radical change for the character, but A) that's kind of what New 52 is about, and B) If they don't explain the "Black" in "Black Lightning," then they may as well give up and just call him "Lightning." They can't do that, because 1) They already have at least two different characters named Lightning, 2) They don't want to give up the name recognition of "Black Lightning," and 3) There are characters named "Lightning" at other companies, so that would make him less unique. We're probably just going to have to roll with this one.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13:

So that means Black Lightning is a mutant then... i mean mata-human ?

Actually, "mutant" and "metahuman" aren't exactly the same thing. "Mutant" means they're born with the gene that will one day develop powers within them. "Metahuman" means they have the "metagene," which can be activated by outside influences. The difference is like this:

The stress of being bullied causes Firestar's mutant gene to kick in, and she accidentally starts melting stuff with her amplified body heat (or however her powers work).

A technologically advanced lightning belt leaks enough radiation to affect Black Lightning's body, so that his metagene kicks in and turns it into a genetic power.

It's a subtle difference, but putting it all over at Marvel for a minute, it's the difference between the X-Men being mutants, and the Fantastic Four being mutated.

Warriorjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: how can BL control magnetism? He's an Electrokinetic not Magnetokinetic like Magneto and Dr. Polaris are

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warriorjohn: Sorry, this is over 4 years ago for me, so I had to go back and look- I don't see where I said anything about BL controlling magnetism, BUT...

An essential component of electromagnetism is electricity, so in theory BL should be able to manipulate things by electromagnetism. I don't think he ever had that power until Static came along though, and DC promptly lifted that for BL.

Also, my science is really bad so I could be completely wrong. If that's the case, someone please step in and correct it. :)

Oh, and last, I've read other threads before where people claim that Magneto- as the Master of Magnetism, should be a lot more powerful even than he is now, because through electromagnetism, he should be able to manipulate electricity as well. The claim had something to do with electricity and magnetic force being all interconnected in nature. Again: bad science me. :}

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.