Follow

Black Goliath

Character » Black Goliath appears in 326 issues.

Brilliant and tough, Goliath fought evil using a variation of the Pym Particles. He was killed during the Civil War by Ragnarok, a clone of Thor. He was succeeded by his nephew, Tom Foster.

Shouldn't Stark, Richards & Pym (Skrull) be held responsible?

• 65 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By gmanfromheck

Stark paid for the script of that issue.  The reality is the kid threw the action figure in the trash.  She's just too classy to throw it in his face.

bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By bumnut
    Slinger said:
    "They did take responsibility though, Clor was taken out of the field until they could adjust its programming. Stark even paid for Goliath's funeral. A known criminal was killed while assaulting an arresting officer with a deadly weapon, the officer acted accordingly. I don't have a problem with this."

A known criminal? Meaning Goliath? Was assaulting an arresting officer? who was the arresting officer? REALLY hope your not referring to that ridiculous parody called Clor (almost, if not just as bad as Rulk, if you ask me) I believe it's time to pay the piper for people like Stark, and hopefully Richards, soon, for there affairs in the past! It's all good while your high and mighty on the top and doing as you please/see fit, but sooner or later, you'll be held accountable for your actions.
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By John_Feaster
    bumnut said:
    Slinger said: "They did take responsibility though, Clor was taken out of the field until they could adjust its programming. ... [more]

Look at it this way. If what the Thor-Clone did was legal because he was fighting for the official government forces and Bill Foster was fighting against them...then if Norman kills Stark, Richards and Danvers...then it's legal too, isn't it? I mean...evil as they obviously are, Norman Osborn and his ilk are the law now. Slingers logic only proves that the LAW isn't always on the side of RIGHT.

But hey, the X-Men have known that for years. I'll guessing that - now that they're looking at his damn system from the opposite side - Tony and company have a VERY different view of the situation. And as far as paying for Bills funeral...well, that's just another example of how Tony solved all his problems at the time. Threw money at it till it went away.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#54  Edited By gmanfromheck

I don't think it was their intention to use deadly force.  Police officers use guns but are trained to use them.  They basically built this massive weapon that was unstable.  They wanted to apprehend those that didn't register, not kill them.  Officers wouldn't be given an experimental weapon to take down a "punk that pulls a gun" on them. 

dan1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By dan1509
    @G-Man:

The way I see it, cloning Thor is just wrong full stop but speaking logically, out of all the heroes fighting in the battle, the thor clone was the only one thjat actually went that far, no1 else did, I totally agree that they should be blamed, If:
    • Reed richards goes to different universes and planets as if he's going to tesco
    • Tony stark can build god knows how many armours
    • Hank can do the whole size changing thing. (okay it was a skrull and that does make a lil bit of sense but....)

surely, they can put a bit better programming? Would the real Thor actually kill a fellow hero?

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I am kinda behind the bell curve on this one, but what the clone Thor did would be classified "Justifiable Homicide In the Line of Duty" If Goliath was attacking the arresting officer and since he could easily kill just like the clone then any type of oversight panel or what not he would be cleared of the killing, or those that released him would be cleared of any fault.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By SUNMAN

The whole civil war thing perpetuated so out of control it could have been handled in a much better fashion. I hold Captain America (Steve), Stark, and Richards responsible.

It was unnecessary that things progressed this far. It allowed Dark Reign and Secret Invasion to happen. There was a lot of things wrong with the registration act and the initiative, but all those heroes who opposed it were breaking the law. You think someone would try to settle this in court.

Also the way Cap, went out was terrible. Way to give Steve Rogers the end he deserved Marvel! (not)

And cloning Thor was so morally and ethically wrong I would prosecute Ironman and Richards for creating an unstable biological weapon.
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    John_Feaster said:
    bumnut said: Slinger said: "They did take responsibility though, Clor was taken out of the field until they could adjust ... [more]
    I'll second that.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59  Edited By Zoom

Yes, absolutely.

All Goliath did was not register.  Saying its Goliath's fault is like saying that a guy that gets gunned down for driving without licence plate was asking for it.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By Sparda
    Gambler said:
    I think Nobody and Slinger have changed my mind. [more]
    The entire time I read Civil War I hated that Sharpe woman. She shows up at the man's damn funeral and then tells the person partly responsible for his death that it was all a-okay.

At least wait until the burial's over, Jesus. Did she ever get killed? Somebody tell me she got killed.
    Avatar image for akira_overdrive
    Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Akira Overdrive
    Sparda said:
    Gambler said: I think Nobody and Slinger have changed my mind. [more] The entire time I read Civil War I ... [more]
    LMFAO
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By John_Feaster
    Sparda said:
    Gambler said: I think Nobody and Slinger have changed my mind. [more] The entire time I read Civil War I ... [more]

The whole Civil War was peppered with non-powered people (generaly women, for some reason) like that. Sideline people whose job it seemed to be to tell the pro-regs what a spiffy job they'd done, and the anti-regs that they sucked. I wonder what they think now that Norman's in charge. I wonder how many of them are patting him on the shoulder and saying "That horrible Tony Stark has it coming, Norman. Don't blame yourself. Those Richards people are breaking the laws your enforcing to protect us. That terrible Danvers woman needs to be stopped, Norman. We know we can cound on youi to do the job. Keep our babies safe."

The problem...is that even Bill Foster saved enough people in his start-and-stop career to make his death (no, murder) a crime against the very concept of justice. These...sideline people all come off as victems waiting to happen - quakeing and weeping at the edges of the action - and never satisfied that enough has been done to protect them. I think about how the New Warriors have saved the planet - the whole freaking planet - and the Stamford tragady somehow erases all that good work? Who knew that Nitro's powers had changed so much? I mean, even the Avengers have been at the center of some major bodycount events, and it was always (well, usually) understood that they'd done there best to handle the situation.

Everytime I read that sickening page...I think about how if she'd just said "Nope, I don't think I could handle that much mass. Better think of a different plan." Kitty and Peter would be married now...living (along with the rest of the X-Men, and the other heroes who were off planet) with the Star Jammers or the Kree. Kitty and Peter would be married now, and a little Rasputain would be on it's way.

Heroes give up their lives and their chances for happiness, so that others may live. They fight and die so that people like this can continue to squeeze out babies and bitch about how enough isn't being done to keep them safe. This ISN'T the real world, so please don't quote rights and legal issue that are valid here.

The simple fact is that the Marvel Universe - heck, ALL comicbook worlds- have always made 9/11 style tragedies common. They've been common for a very long time. The events that shocked us are something that happen about once every few years or so, and the ordinary people in the Marvel Universe know that they're threatened by REAL alien invasions, giant monsters and mad men with the ability to wipe out entire nations if they choose. They also know that when they watch the television, it's the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men and such who stop these events...and the civilian agencies step in and help clean up afterward.

The average human being on Marvel Earth should be very aware that, without their colorful champions to drive off the boogie men...they would all be dead in six-months. Galactus will appear and the governments wont be able to stop him. The Kree will declare the planet a refuling base, and the governments wont be able to stop them. Doctor Doom, Graviton, Magneto, The Mandarin...heck, even a cheap poser like Doctor Demonicus or Moses Magnum...would be using the UN Building as a summer home.

Now, I know it's not this simple. It's NEVER this simple. But...everyone reading the flippin' comic book KNOWS that it's the truth. Nobody's reading Spiderman and thinking "That J. Jonah sure is right about the wicked Spiderman" or "Those Muties are a threat to human survival! Gas 'em all, I say". We as the reader see the world differently than these people. We know that Spiderman and the X-Men are the good guys. We know that the people speaking out against them are usually wrong.

And - as sick as it makes me - when I read that page...I want her and her son to be in danger. I want Skrulls Warriors to be chasing them through the streets, a meteor to be rocketing towards their city, and giant rat-monsters to be crawling out of the sewers to devour them. I want them to be placed in a situation where the very idea of calling the cops or even the army is obviously not going to help them much. 

It's too early/late to make this point as effectivly as I want. But, be honest. As the reader, it's hard to be sympathetic to Mrs. Sharpes views, when we all know Bill Foster, Steve Rogers, and even the New Warriors were killed while trying to keep them safe. Steve and Bill wern't fighting to keep from regestering (they both had public identies and worked for the government), but because they KNEW that Stark was creating a system that could easily become a dictatorship. And just in case nobody noticed...they were right. That's exactly what DID happen. Argue all you want about pro or anti regestration. The events of Dark Reign prove that Stark, Richards and Danvers were in the wrong, and Steve, Bill and company were right.

nikko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By nikko72

They are responsible!  If there so smart! How come they didn't notice why Goliath didn't shrink back to normal size? Sounds too peculiar. And what happened to his collar bond that somebody stole. Nothing came about that either. Sounds like Unfinished business for Goliath. We need a Reborn.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#64  Edited By Kairan1979
    @John_Feaster said:
    Sparda said:

The whole Civil War was peppered with non-powered people (generaly women, for some reason) like that. Sideline people whose job it seemed to be to tell the pro-regs what a spiffy job they'd done, and the anti-regs that they sucked. I wonder what they think now that Norman's in charge. I wonder how many of them are patting him on the shoulder and saying "That horrible Tony Stark has it coming, Norman. Don't blame yourself. Those Richards people are breaking the laws your enforcing to protect us. That terrible Danvers woman needs to be stopped, Norman. We know we can cound on youi to do the job. Keep our babies safe."

The problem...is that even Bill Foster saved enough people in his start-and-stop career to make his death (no, murder) a crime against the very concept of justice. These...sideline people all come off as victems waiting to happen - quakeing and weeping at the edges of the action - and never satisfied that enough has been done to protect them. I think about how the New Warriors have saved the planet - the whole freaking planet - and the Stamford tragady somehow erases all that good work? Who knew that Nitro's powers had changed so much? I mean, even the Avengers have been at the center of some major bodycount events, and it was always (well, usually) understood that they'd done there best to handle the situation.

Everytime I read that sickening page...I think about how if she'd just said "Nope, I don't think I could handle that much mass. Better think of a different plan." Kitty and Peter would be married now...living (along with the rest of the X-Men, and the other heroes who were off planet) with the Star Jammers or the Kree. Kitty and Peter would be married now, and a little Rasputain would be on it's way.

Heroes give up their lives and their chances for happiness, so that others may live. They fight and die so that people like this can continue to squeeze out babies and bitch about how enough isn't being done to keep them safe. This ISN'T the real world, so please don't quote rights and legal issue that are valid here.

The simple fact is that the Marvel Universe - heck, ALL comicbook worlds- have always made 9/11 style tragedies common. They've been common for a very long time. The events that shocked us are something that happen about once every few years or so, and the ordinary people in the Marvel Universe know that they're threatened by REAL alien invasions, giant monsters and mad men with the ability to wipe out entire nations if they choose. They also know that when they watch the television, it's the Avengers, Fantastic Four, X-Men and such who stop these events...and the civilian agencies step in and help clean up afterward.

The average human being on Marvel Earth should be very aware that, without their colorful champions to drive off the boogie men...they would all be dead in six-months. Galactus will appear and the governments wont be able to stop him. The Kree will declare the planet a refuling base, and the governments wont be able to stop them. Doctor Doom, Graviton, Magneto, The Mandarin...heck, even a cheap poser like Doctor Demonicus or Moses Magnum...would be using the UN Building as a summer home.

Now, I know it's not this simple. It's NEVER this simple. But...everyone reading the flippin' comic book KNOWS that it's the truth. Nobody's reading Spiderman and thinking "That J. Jonah sure is right about the wicked Spiderman" or "Those Muties are a threat to human survival! Gas 'em all, I say". We as the reader see the world differently than these people. We know that Spiderman and the X-Men are the good guys. We know that the people speaking out against them are usually wrong.

And - as sick as it makes me - when I read that page...I want her and her son to be in danger. I want Skrulls Warriors to be chasing them through the streets, a meteor to be rocketing towards their city, and giant rat-monsters to be crawling out of the sewers to devour them. I want them to be placed in a situation where the very idea of calling the cops or even the army is obviously not going to help them much. 

It's too early/late to make this point as effectivly as I want. But, be honest. As the reader, it's hard to be sympathetic to Mrs. Sharpes views, when we all know Bill Foster, Steve Rogers, and even the New Warriors were killed while trying to keep them safe. Steve and Bill wern't fighting to keep from regestering (they both had public identies and worked for the government), but because they KNEW that Stark was creating a system that could easily become a dictatorship. And just in case nobody noticed...they were right. That's exactly what DID happen. Argue all you want about pro or anti regestration. The events of Dark Reign prove that Stark, Richards and Danvers were in the wrong, and Steve, Bill and company were right.

Can't agree more.
    ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ripcurl

Yeah, they should have been held accountable for the creation of Ragnarok. Moreover, Tony Stark betrays his so-called "friends" 3 or 4 times a year, and deserves a monthly beating IMO. The person that should shoulder the most blame, however, is Maria Hill. I hated how she was portrayed as heroic during (and after) Siege. After everything she's done she gets a free pass? And having that free pass come from Steve Rogers of all people? Lazy writing, Maria Hill is a shitty peripheral character and I think a lot of fans would love to see her murdered...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.