Follow

Black Beetle

Character » Black Beetle appears in 17 issues.

A "neo-noir" hero of Colt City.

Spotlight on: THE BLACK BEETLE - NO WAY OUT by Francesco Francavilla

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Continuing our look at some recent books you could buy as a gift for someone or yourself, chances are you might already own this one. If you've been reading comics lately, you know who Francesco Francavilla is. It's pretty much guaranteed that if his art is involved, we here at Comic Vine are going to automatically love it. Taking on the writing reigns, Francavilla recently released THE BLACK BEETLE: NO WAY OUT through Dark Horse.

No Caption Provided

Francavilla delivered a five-issue series (four issues plus a zero issue) featuring hard-hitting pulp action with art that will take your breath away. The Black Beetle was created by Francavilla and in this first story, we're discovering who he is and what he's capable of.

There's not a lot known about the character. That's just one of the cool things about him. As the story begins, the mystery is already underway. Francavilla's art immediately draws you into the story. When Black Beetle shows up, he's ready for action.

No Caption Provided

As a new character, there aren't any pre-existing notions or impressions you'll have on the character. This allows you to sit back and enjoy the show. You'll be hooked as there's no telling what our lead character is going to do next. This is a rare thing in comics as most of the characters we follow have existed for years or decades.

With that idea, Francavilla introduces us to Colt City. Black Beetle may think he has a handle on what's going on in his city but he soon finds out there's a bigger plot going on.

No Caption Provided

Partly due to the time period, Black Beetle is a credible hero. He's not one of those untouchable characters that can do anything. Black Beetle is a formidable hero but he's not invulnerable. He can take a beating but that doesn't mean he won't get injured.

As for the action, Francavilla's art and colors are perfect for the story. Not only does he tell the story with the dialogue but the art dances off the pages. There's a great variety in the action as well. There may be big explosions but other times it's good old fashion fist-to-the-face fun.

No Caption Provided

Along with collecting the five issues, there's plenty of sketch pages and behind the scenes bonus features. The book contains 152 pages and it's a beautiful hardcover with a retail price of $19.99. That means you could probably find it cheaper.

It should go without saying, if you've seen Francesco Francavilla's art and haven't read this series, you owe it to yourself to check this out. If you're hungering for a great pulp story with phenomenal art, get a copy of this book. It's a fun self-contained story and a great introduction to a new comic book universe. Add it to your wish list. If you already own it, buy it for a friend.

The only question is, when can we get a sequel?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I am very interested

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Ooh I want this.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Black Beetle is a fantastic book, it's one of my favorite at Dark Horse along with Lobster Johnson

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SavageDragon

I loved this in singles, its just gorgeous to look at, and the story oozes 40s pulp hero mystery. Im just not sure if I will double dip on this one having already purchased the floppys while it was a mini.

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

sold

batwingman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got this a couple months ago at barnes and noble, I already had the single issues but the extras in this are really cool...and his artwork is out of this world along with the colors (just as good as black Science.)

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

i have the floppies and yea i love it. What happened to his sequel series??

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Just added this to my wishlist on my usual comic site! I'll get it after Christmas.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just heard about this, Francavilla is the best!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RustyRoy

Cool! I love Francavilla's style.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought this HC two weeks ago on my London vacation.

Its a pretty cool book and I really like it, but I have to admit that its more about the art for me. The story is nice, but just a hodge podge of Pulp/Noir trappings. Its not bad, but if you like the genre, you have read and seen it all before. Still, its worth alone for the great art!

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

I just bought this HC two weeks ago on my London vacation.

Its a pretty cool book and I really like it, but I have to admit that its more about the art for me. The story is nice, but just a hodge podge of Pulp/Noir trappings. Its not bad, but if you like the genre, you have read and seen it all before. Still, its worth alone for the great art!

Seconded. Art = Amazing. Writing/Story = Average.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

If I had the money, I'd buy copies for all my friends. In the meantime..they'll have to borrow mine=]

frankcal460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cavemold: It's been pushed back every month since October but as of now it's scheduled to be released January 15th. I hope this title keeps going and we keep getting mini-series here and there. "No Way Out" is such a fantastic story arc and I'm really looking forward to "Necrologue".

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
    Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@that60sguy: Thanks. Good to know I am not the only one who felt that way. Still a cool book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.