Follow

Bishop

Character » Bishop appears in 2977 issues.

Lucas Bishop is a mutant from the 22nd century that traveled into the past, becoming a member of the X-Men, and later, the Uncanny X-Force. He has the mutant ability to absorb and redirect any kinetic energy that is used against him or that is released in his general vicinity. He is the first black male team member within the X-Men Universe.

Should Bishop get rebooted when they are done with time travel?

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Gold Dust Boi

OK I flat out HATE Bishop now.  I get what they are doing and i get that we are not really supposed to like him but what about when its over? Bishop was a respected X-man, police officer, Agent of O.N.E....he really had a lot going for him and he was still a noble likeable character.  So they had to turn him into sort of a monster to for this story (fake arm and leg to add to the visual) but when Hope and Cable are done running from him and the dust settles are we still gonna be left with this disfigured shell of a former X-man?  I miss the Bishop who worshipped the X-men as legends, who made it his personal mission to protect Xavier when he first got here, and who joined a legitimate police force to help the state of mutant affairs.  When all is said and done i kinda hope that pull some crap and revert him to the way he was before Messiah Complex.  My suggestion is that Cable (or anyone who can time jump) go to the point before he tried to kill the baby and pluck him out of the timestream and bring him to our current present.  Everyone else will still remember what he did but he will be the old character AND all those continents he destroyed never will have happened.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Erik

The guy has got to be close to Cable's age by now. I think they should just kill him off when the whole Hope story is over and be done with it. 

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

why pluck an old Bishop out?
    he will still be the man he was hiding the whole
    time from everyone and eventually do it all over again?

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By crimsonspider89

A Bishop fan will write the X-Men eventually and retcon it with that Bishop being a clone or something.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @crimsonspider89 said:
    " A Bishop fan will write the X-Men eventually and retcon it with that Bishop being a clone or something. "
    I can see that happening.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Erik
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " why pluck an old Bishop out? he will still be the man he was hiding the whole time from everyone and eventually do it all over again? "
    I just cant see it happening for much longer for the old bat. 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Gambler said:
    " @crimsonspider89 said:
    " A Bishop fan will write the X-Men eventually and retcon it with that Bishop being a clone or something. "
    I can see that happening. "
    Agreed.  What has happened over the last couple of years is too ingrained.  I can only imagine Bishop dying a nasty death at the end of Second Coming.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep. got to agree. Bishop is a goner. he may or may not do something heroic and pull an Ares though.
    but if he shows up gunning for Hope on Utopia with his usual "thermal detonators" in tow he's getting taken out.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

He still is a baby killer lol

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " why pluck an old Bishop out? he will still be the man he was hiding the whole time from everyone and eventually do it all over again? "
    See i dont think so because i dont think he was a killer or a bad guy just waiting for the baby to get born. i think he thought this wasnt going to happen anymore (change in timelines) and it didnt occur to him until the baby was actually born.  but if they pluck an old bishop from the time line after second coming is over and done with then he will not be the half cyborg freak he is and he can be shown that the threat has already passed (just like when he had to admit that gambit wasn't the traitor after he attacked him).  and its not like washing away year of story because the x-men will still remember messiah complex and cable/hope will still remember being chased for years through time.  then it would be a great story of reconciling him (who technically did nothing wrong) with the other x-men (who only remember a killer now)...not saying itll happen but it would be a great story i think :)
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gold Dust Boi: 
    you can see it whatever way, but Life And Times stated he did all that for the 
    single purpose of prevented his future from the getgo, and of course to eventually
    kill Hope no matter what it took. he was raised screwed up. goes all the way
    back and its shown at every turn. they even foreshadowed the Messiah stuff when
    they had him turn on the X-Men in Civil War. he knew the time was coming soon.
    rebooting him would mean a whole new character entirely which wouldnt even
    be Bishop in the first place, it would be another character. and honestly, your supposed
    to hate him. thats what the writers want, he's the bad guy.
      http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/is-bishop-evil/417259/
    Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @CATMANEXE: see i dont agree...i read life and times and it didnt seem like he always intended for this all to happen, that would be one hell of a long term plan...i think yeah he was raised screwed up and always hated this mythical baby that he heard ruined his world but i dont think it was a real thought again till he heard the baby got born and then suddenly he got consumed by it.  and i know the writers want us to hate him, but ive really liked the character since he showed up in issue 282 and i dont want him to die but i also dont want to have some warped shadow of this formerly really amazing character.  like if there WAS a way to absolve him legitimately of all these crimes, wouldnt you want the old bishop back if they could make it work?
    Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By crimsonspider89

I don't agree with your theory though. This is Bishop's plan since the beginning. He wants to prevent his future from coming to. I think that it needs to be a clone of Bishop or something of that caliber. Maybe do a new Apocalypse story arc where they have to fight a young Bishop and eventually talk him into joining? Or something of that type.

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gold Dust Boi said:
    " @CATMANEXE:  like if there WAS a way to absolve him legitimately of all these crimes, wouldnt you want the old bishop back if they could make it work? "
    well, no. i kind of just explained why twice. he never was anything other than what he was.
    he finally just showed his hand.
    forsake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By forsake

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Erik
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " @Gold Dust Boi said:
    " @CATMANEXE:  like if there WAS a way to absolve him legitimately of all these crimes, wouldnt you want the old bishop back if they could make it work? "
    well, no. i kind of just explained why twice. he never was anything other than what he was. he finally just showed his hand. "
    I agree completely. To have it be something else like a clone would ruin things for Bishop as a character. Plus it would overcomplicate an already complicated character. 
    Fatal Frost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fatal Frost

This is all a byproduct of Bishop changing his original future. I think even if it wasn't Hope, it would have been something else.
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lokheit

IMO the best way to make him back is once the second coming ends, and knowing it will create new timelines, make a new bishop from a timeline where the mutant baby was a messiah and not a destroyer (or where she was a destroyer but was stopped before she could do anything big, as I doubt in the main comics it is going to be any holocaust that keep them under prison forever, and remember that next astonishing x-men arc is called xenogenesis, so it is probable that new mutants will born again, and even it is possible that the messiah would revert the effects of M-Day) and make this Bihop time travel to present or something for any reason: 

For example: This new Bishop in his now not apocaliptic timeline, learns about an alternate bishop that nearly killed prof-X and the heroes he worships, and decides to travel back in time to clean the sins of his alternate counterpart and try to make the name of lucas bishop be a part of the future legends (hey, it wasn't too hard to make a good scenario for his return that would allow him to join the team without any "clone" or "possession" case, maybe we could see him again as a hero :P) 

Do you guys think it could work somehow?

Avatar image for akira_overdrive
    Akira Overdrive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Akira Overdrive

The AoA Bishop should go to the 616?

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Korg
    @Akira Overdrive said:

" The AoA Bishop should go to the 616? "

There is no 616 Bishop. He comes from the/a future (Earth 1191). AoA Bishop is the same guy who traveled back in time to 616. From Bishop's page on CV: 

Alternate Realities

Earth-616

Bishop has no counterpart in the main Marvel reality. This is because he has probably not been born yet. 

Earth-295

Earth-295 Bishop
    Earth-295 Bishop
    Bishop has no counterpart in the Age of Apocalypse either. The Bishop that appears is the main Bishop from Earth-1191.     
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By Zoom

Messiah Complex can always turn out to be 616 Bishop, having stowed the real one away Dark Beast style. 

I disagree with Vance and Catman on this though.  Bishop had already "shown his hand" when Messiah Complex rolled around.  Onslaught (stupid as it was) had been revealed to be what Bishop thought killed the X-Men. 

Then this book rolls around and they decide that oh yeah and Bishop had always planned to kill a little girl?  He just forgot?  Nah.  That's gotta be some other character.
    nicknicholby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By nicknicholby

I always disliked him.  goodbye

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.