Space Sector: 3
Sector Partner: ?
One of the more remarkable members of the Sinestro Corps is Bedovian.
Resembling a terrestrial hermit crab, Bedovian lives within his shell. It is not known if Bedovian created this shell through natural or artificial means, or like hermit crabs, is taken from another species. Likewise, if there is a molting cycle, of if Bedovian can regenerate lost limbs like terrestrial hermit crabs, has yet to be determined. The shell can withstand the rigors of deep space. Bedovian himself can survive in the vacuum of space, but it is not known if he needs the shell to survive. His life span is measured in centuries, if not millennia, and Bedovian can go for at least six hundred years without a meal. Of particular note is Bedovian's eyesight, which enables him to see across three sectors.
Major Story Arcs
Tales of the Sinestro Corps
First seen on Green Lantern #20
As his story goes, Bedovian had been waiting on an asteroid in the Daffath system in Space Sector 3. For months, the asteroid had been the site of a highly successful mining operation. At some point the owner of the mining operation came too close to Bedovian's shell which quickly opened. Bedovian grabbed the helpless miner, pulling him to his doom. His hunger sated, Bedovian allowed himself to drift from the asteroid in search of a new home. A yellow power ring of the Sinestro Corps found him and took him to the anti-matter universe of Qward. Like others in the Sinestro Corps, he was trained by Arkillo of Vorn, though he differed from the rest in one aspect. As told by Lyssa Drak, keeper of the Book of Parallax, since Bedovian had spent centuries in the darkness and isolation of his shell, he is the only member of the Sinestro Corps that did not have to enter a Fear Lodge.
Sinestro Corps War
Form more information see : Sinestro Corps War
Sometime after his training was complete, Bedovian went back to Space Sector 3 to lie in wait. With his visual acuity, Bedovian made an excellent sniper. When contacted by Arkillo, Bedovian took aim at his far off target, the planet Oa, in Space Sector 0.
After successfully abducting Ion, the former Green Lantern Kyle Rayner, the Sinestro Corps used the confusion to strike. Once the Green Lanterns ventured beyond the safety of Oa's armor shield, Bedovian opened fire, striking two Lanterns before they realized they were under attack. Even as hundreds of his fellow Sinestro Corps members swarmed Oa, Bedovian continued firing, picking off Lanterns one-by-one.
Green Lantern 1416 Diamalon of Barrio III was Bedovian's last victim before Green Lantern 2814.2 John Stewart of Earth located Bedovian and fired, destroying his shell and taking the Sinestro Corps' sniper out of the battle.
He appears again during the Blackest Night. He is seen with the hundreds of other lanterns battling the Black Lanterns. He is then seen on Earth when they discover Dove has the power of the white light. The various lanterns encase Dove in a giant bullet construct, and puts her in a sniper for Bedovian to kill the Black Lantern ANti-Monitor.
Powers and Abilities
Bedovian is an insectoid alien that survuves in open space by incasing themselves in a shell. They are ambush hunters who wait for a target to pass by where Bedovian will capture and devour them slowly to sustain himself. Bedovian is considered the best sniper in the Sinestro Corps. He is said to be able to pick off targets from 3 sectos of space away.
Qwardian (Yellow) Power Ring which give him the following abilities:
- Animating: A Sinestro Lantern can will things to move how he wants. The object moved however is often covered in a yellow aura.
- Artificial Intelligence : Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Qward, which taps into Parallax. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a "Sinestro's" success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer, which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Sinestro Corps ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector, someone capable of instilling great fear.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Sinestro Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones. Weather
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. Sometimes, depending on the wearer, the beams and blasts make sounds.
- Energy Constructs: The rings can construct anything the wearer can imagine from hard-light energy, as long as they are willing to make it. The more determined the wearer is, the more complex and intricate these things can be. The constructs can even be so complex as to form working machines, computers, and even people.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Invisibility: The Sinestro Corps ring has the ability to make
- Mind Control: The wearer of the Ring can use it to plant post hypnotic commands or control a person.
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls.
- Power Absorbing: In the JLA's first fight with Amazo, it was GL who defeated him by drawing out all of Amazo's powers. In Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances, Kyle defeated Parallax with SS' power and Thanos with Oa's energy by drawing out all that extra energy from them which made them unconscious. However he couldn't hold all that power nor could his Ring like Hal did with Amazo's powers, so that move isn't often used with so much power.
- Probing: The ring can probe the Lantern's or another person's mind, allowing him to uncover memories or the person's thoughts.
- Radiation: Besides light based radiation used to create the energy constructs associated with a Sinestro Corps member or a Green Lantern, the ring can simulate various forms of radiation. One example of this is the ability to simulate the radiation of Red solar radiation, which stunts or removes the powers of Kryptonians and Daxamites.
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary. The internal power source of a Manhunter Android is, in effect, the same as a power battery, and can be used to recharge a power ring. During the JLA / Avengers crossover, a Cosmic Cube was used to recharge a depleted ring, although this is not an ideal solution and is available if there are no other options. Members of the Sinestro Corps they generally quote the Sinestro Corps oath while recharging their rings: "In blackest day, in brightest night, Beware your fears made into light! Let those who try to stop what's right, Burn like his power... Sinestro's might!” Unlike the Green Lantern Corps however each Sinestro Corps member seems to use a standard unaltered oath.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero..
- X-Ray: The Sinestro power ring has the ability to see through all objects without others around him/her being aware that the object has been made transparent. Not all material can be penetrated though.