Follow

Beasts of Burden

Team » Beasts of Burden appears in 15 issues.

A heroic gang of paranormal investigators made of dogs and cats that protect the small town of Burden Hill from the evil forces at work.

Beasts Of Burden #1 REVIEWED, (Have You Read This?)

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Here's you chance to read something different.  Have you heard the buzz about this book.  This was another book that my comic shop owner snuck into my weekly stack of books.  I vaguely recall seeing these guys before but I'll admit I hadn't read their original adventures.  When I saw the book in my stack, I figured my comic shop owner figured I'd like it since I enjoyed Lockjaw And The Pet Avengers so much.  It is a book of a different nature. 

It might look like it's a cutesy book with animals but it's more than that.  First of all, consider the creators.  We're talking Evan Dorkin ( Milk & Cheese) doing the writing and Jill Thompson doing the art.  The art does stand out and grab you.  Just looking at the cover with all the colors, these animals and the skull in the background, it tells you something is happening here.  

The book is well written.  The animals have a natural way of talking to each other.  It doesn't feel like forced comic book dialogue.  You almost feel like you're peering in on these creatures' actual conversations.  Then we have the big mystery.  What does it mean when it starts raining frogs?  What's it mean when they start eating each other.  What catches you off guard is that not all the animals are safe.  Not everyone makes it out in one piece.  That's what makes this an interesting book.  If you can have cute animals meeting their doom and others talking about "pissing icicles," you know it's not the average critter book.

This should be one of those instances where you try something different.  I know with today's economy it's hard to pick up a new book.  But definitely look into it.  Check out their first adventure at Dark Horse.  Don't let the cute animals on the cover fool you into thinking this is simply a cutesy kids' book.  If you've read this, let me know what you thought.
    mrjoshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mrjoshua

This was a really good book. What it leads up to is something really incredible and well done. It could have easily come across as dumb and ridiculous but Evan and Jill do a great job. It makes it a worth the read.  

I got to meet Evan and Jill at a book signing. They were at my local comic shop , Comic Book Jones on Staten Island New York. They were really cool to talk to and they handed out autographed artwork that accompanined the book. I also bought a couple of their other works. Great people. Great creators. Defintely pick this one up.  
    Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grendel

Looks like Plague Dogs! 

Buying this.

Jeffmoocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jeffmoocow

After watching this review I think I may have to start reading this, I mean it looks pretty interesting.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By FoxxFireArt

"Evan Dorkin" Lordy, how would you of liked to of grown up as a kid with that name?

Looks pretty cool. It's always nice to read a story that is out of the norm. Only thing lacking for me is that this book doesn't seem to have my favorite breed, German Shepherd. Maybe I'm wrong and it does have it.

Nice touch with the song there at the end.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Dark Cell

hmm...not for me
    TheOmegaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6  Edited By TheOmegaMan

It definitely is different...Not sure how I feel about a cast of talking dogs though...
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
    @TheOmegaMan: There's also a cat...
    TheOmegaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8  Edited By TheOmegaMan
    @G-Man: 

LMAO! Well a cat changes everything!!
    RedRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By RedRyan
    @G-Man:
    Not really sure about the comic but I am interested to know why you're always in what looks like an electrics cupboard!
    TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By TheBug
    @Grendel said:
    "Looks like Plague Dogs!   Buying this. "

I was just thinking that! Looks like it has that Watership Down, Plague Dogs vibe. I'd love to pick this up.
    dc-kid21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By dc-kid21

i met evan dorkin

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Media_Master

Sounds cute with a dark atmosphere

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.